Survivalist Forum

Survivalist Forum (https://www.survivalistboards.com/index.php)
-   Farming, Gardening & Homesteading (https://www.survivalistboards.com/forumdisplay.php?f=13)
-   -   Tips on cutting potatoes before planting (https://www.survivalistboards.com/showthread.php?t=911046)

kev 02-10-2019 02:25 PM

Tips on cutting potatoes before planting

Some people pant their potatoes whole, while others cut their potatoes into sections.

When I buy my seed potatoes, I look for eh smallest potatoes in the bin. Say no larger than my fist. Then I cut the potatoes in half and let them dry before planting.

Sometimes the store does not have a bunch of small seed potatoes so I have to buy larger ones. The big ones are cut into severeal pieces depending on how the eyes are arranged.

Anyone care to share their tips for cutting potatoes?

Some people dip the cuttings in lyme or fireplace ash while they dry.

Sanderhawk 02-10-2019 02:42 PM

I do about the same. As long as there is an eye or two on the piece I`m good to go :)

JL1 02-10-2019 03:17 PM

I cut mine into as many pieces as I can with an eye or 2 in each one. Then I put them on newspaper, cardboard or a paper bag and let them "dry" for 3 to 5 days. Just planted all mine this weekend.

n1d 02-10-2019 06:48 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JL1 (Post 19339236)
I cut mine into as many pieces as I can with an eye or 2 in each one. Then I put them on newspaper, cardboard or a paper bag and let them "dry" for 3 to 5 days. Just planted all mine this weekend.

Pretty much how we do it.........

benson56 02-10-2019 07:17 PM

I read preferably one eye, never more than two. I tried that last year and had amazing taters. -17 yesterday here, I'm gonna wait awhile yet!

kev 02-10-2019 08:19 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by benson56 (Post 19339598)
I read preferably one eye, never more than two. I tried that last year and had amazing taters. -17 yesterday here, I'm gonna wait awhile yet!

Sometimes eyes are growing right next to each other, like in the video I posted.

Bluesky9 02-11-2019 08:04 AM

My parents taught me to leave two eyes on each piece and plenty of thickness. Never just a thin piece of skin. We plant the same day or some times a few days later; never seen any difference.
Growing up, we used a horse and "one horse single plow" to make the furrow. After the taters were laid in the furrow, we would run the plow beside the row and "plow" the dirt back over the taters.
You really do need a well trained horse for this. Somehow, my garden tractor is just not the same.

Runamok 02-14-2019 09:06 AM

Why do you let them dry before planting? Wouldn't that just require more water for them to grow?

Weedinhoe 02-14-2019 10:07 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bluesky9 (Post 19340306)
You really do need a well trained horse for this. Somehow, my garden tractor is just not the same.

Is it the tractor or the driver? JUST kidding! I couldn't resist... :D: