Survivalist Forum

Survivalist Forum (https://www.survivalistboards.com/index.php)
-   Arkansas (https://www.survivalistboards.com/forumdisplay.php?f=155)
-   -   Tell Me About Arkansas (https://www.survivalistboards.com/showthread.php?t=628169)

Darthmuerte 11-27-2016 02:37 PM

Tell Me About Arkansas

Looking for a piece of dirt for myself and my soon to be wife. We have found some sites we like in NE Arkansas, but I want to know about the state and the area from like minded individuals. How are the gun laws? Taxes? Race Relations? The last is very important as we will be a mixed race couple. If Arkansas is a very racist area, we need to consider somewhere else. Aside from that, if you current residents had just moved to the state, what would you have wanted to know that you didn't when you got there? Our general health is good for both of us. There will be no children involved except for occasional summer time visits and the like. My future wife is retiring and will receive a nice pension, and we have a significant amount of cash to invest in the right property.
How are the laws in regard to off-grid living? Is solar a viable power source? or do I need to consider other sources? How about water? especially wells?
Thanks in advance for any help/information/advice.

Optimist 11-27-2016 02:45 PM

Northern part of the state is better for water than the south. If you stay north of Little Rock, you're in good country. Western part of the state along the Oklahoma line has some centers of white separatist types that you'd have to keep an eye on. Not so bad elsewhere. Off-grid is not a problem most places so long as you're out in the county. Some of the towns can be downright nosy.... With solar as one of a 'rule of threes' power triad, you'd be in a good place here in Arkansas.

Old Soldier 11-27-2016 02:52 PM

Land prices are reasonable, property taxes are low, (mine are under $200 for nearly 8 acres and a one bedroom house). NE Arkansas is in the Ozarks so I'd imagine water will be plentiful, gun laws are very friendly. Some areas will not be friendly to mixed relationships, the Fayetteville area is probably more friendly toward that due to the University of Arkansas located there. WalMart HQ is in that area also, Bentonville I believe.

There are a number of members in Arkansas who can, and probably will, add more information and specifics.

Optimist 11-27-2016 02:57 PM

And again the black sheep are among the first to comment....

Darthmuerte 11-27-2016 03:01 PM

The main area we are looking at would be north east closer to Missouri than Tennessee.

Old Soldier 11-27-2016 03:01 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Optimist (Post 12569385)
And again the black sheep are among the first to comment....

Are you and I STILL the only members?

Old Soldier 11-27-2016 03:15 PM

Shoot a PM at "Hicks Industries", he's just over the line in NW OK. Since he's there on the ground he my have insights valuable to you.

I'm still a part time resident and for only three years at that.

Rural Buckeye Guy 11-27-2016 05:10 PM

[QUOTE=Darthmuerte;12569113]Looking for a piece of dirt for myself and my soon to be wife. We have found some sites we like in NE Arkansas, but I want to know about the state and the area from like minded individuals.

To be honest, I would get on YouTube and look up Viking Preparedness. It's the site of Pastor Joe Fox, an formerSpecial Forces officer and security contracter. He moved there 10 years ago with his wife from a suburb onto raw land that they have developed. Theynd can give you lots of on the ground advice at this point.

druid189 11-27-2016 07:58 PM

Arkansas - remember - Bill and Killery are from there and likely to return.......

OKCorral 11-27-2016 07:59 PM

I'm probably biased having lived in Little Rock while Billy was governor. I've got no love for the Clintons nor the Waltons so I wouldn't want to live in their state.

Before anyone brings up Cruz, Perry and the Bush family, I'm well aware that Texas has it's own corruption but at least we've got lots of space and aren't landlocked. Oh, ice storms in Arkansas really suck, more so than here.

druid189 11-27-2016 08:39 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by OKCorral (Post 12573065)
I'm probably biased having lived in Little Rock while Billy was governor. I've got no love for the Clintons nor the Waltons so I wouldn't want to live in their state.

Before anyone brings up Cruz, Perry and the Bush family, I'm well aware that Texas has it's own corruption but at least we've got lots of space and aren't landlocked. Oh, ice storms in Arkansas really suck, more so than here.

I have nothing against either State [Tx or Ak] but if Bill or Killery were former governors of PA [where I live] I'd be setting to move out the moment I thought they would try for the governor's office again. I mean we got our own idiot right now [Gov. Tom Wolf (D)] but I got to give him one thumbs-up/Credit where due....he signed into law, a Bill proposed to lift the historically long ban on using semiauto rifles for big game. The language lifts the ban but gives our Game Commission the authority to regulate their use. THAT'S probably going to take a few years though.....

Optimist 11-29-2016 01:54 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by druid189 (Post 12573049)
Arkansas - remember - Bill and Killery are from there and likely to return.......

Not likely at all. There's too much past waiting on Bill in this state, and Hillary don't like it at all....

America's Patriot 11-29-2016 02:00 PM

You can get some damn good properties on the north/northeast portion of the state. Just make sure you have retirement, independently wealthy or a job laid out because there isn't much there. If money isn't an issue, I would do it in a heartbeat since the cost of land is very affordable there.

America's Patriot 11-29-2016 02:01 PM

FYI, Arkansas doesn't like the Clintons. It was after all Red this time around... and for reason.

Darthmuerte 11-29-2016 02:16 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by America's Patriot (Post 12595257)
You can get some damn good properties on the north/northeast portion of the state. Just make sure you have retirement, independently wealthy or a job laid out because there isn't much there. If money isn't an issue, I would do it in a heartbeat since the cost of land is very affordable there.

My wife will have a very nice pension, and land/building costs up to 250k we will be paying cash.

America's Patriot 11-29-2016 02:21 PM

Personally, I would do it. If your wife will go nuts because of the lack of amenities, you could consider moving north of Hot Springs around Lake Ouachita. You can still get some pretty good properties around there and keep remote.. but be within 30 minutes of Hot Springs which has all the shopping she'll ever want. Personally, I would stay away from the Fayetteville area. Great job market, but it's getting packed up there. Plus, Fort Smith is right there.

My 1st choice would be where you are looking. Lots of affordable properties with running creeks...

Darthmuerte 11-29-2016 02:26 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by America's Patriot (Post 12595457)
Personally, I would do it. If your wife will go nuts because of the lack of amenities, you could consider moving north of Hot Springs around Lake Ouachita. You can still get some pretty good properties around there and keep remote.. but be within 30 minutes of Hot Springs which has all the shopping she'll ever want. Personally, I would stay away from the Fayetteville area. Great job market, but it's getting packed up there. Plus, Fort Smith is right there.

My 1st choice would be where you are looking. Lots of affordable properties with running creeks...

What do you know about race relations out there? That is her main concern, and to a lesser degree mine as well. She is a black female and I am seen as a white male.

America's Patriot 11-29-2016 02:44 PM

You'll find that Arkansas has a lot of people that tend to stick to themselves in the remote areas. A lot are retirees or couples, that like us, want to be left the hell alone. I wouldn't worry about it too much, however, racism is everywhere... you know that. My parents have white, black (mixed race marriage) and Hispanic in the area. They all look out for each other, but also leave each other alone. They wave in passing and may stop to talk if someone is walking. Other than that, you wouldn't even know people were around.

The key is to talk to your immediate neighbors and let them know who you are. Let them know you tend to stick to yourselves, but if they ever need some neighborly help, to let you know. You may even want to offer an exchange of phone numbers... up to you really. NEVER EVER walk onto someones property armed unless you really know them. That is not neighborly at all...

Common belief is that "country folk" is a race in itself. Color doesn't matter as much as it does in the cities or larger towns where there is "segregation". I'm sure there are some specific towns still living in the 1900's, but they are getting very scarce now.

Kerberos1776 11-29-2016 03:35 PM

FWIW racism isn't as bad in NE as it is in NCentral ARK.

From a lifelong NE AR resident.

If I were in your position I'd be looking for something on the ridge. (Crowley's Ridge).

Google it for details.

The land around here is crazy fertile so gardens will produce with abundance.

I only mention land on the ridge or close to it for the wildlife and timber.

Good mix of terrain all around here.

Feel free to ask any questions; I'll sub this thread.

Feel free to PM as well.

Good Luck!

Kerberos1776 11-29-2016 03:38 PM

America's Patriot is dead on with his comments IMHO.

Hot Springs area some of the most beautiful land in the state.

We visit that area as much as possible (for hiking, camping, etc.)