Survivalist Forum

Survivalist Forum (https://www.survivalistboards.com/index.php)
-   Urban Survival (https://www.survivalistboards.com/forumdisplay.php?f=12)
-   -   What to do in a riot? (https://www.survivalistboards.com/showthread.php?t=878321)

Augustman 05-10-2018 01:45 AM

What to do in a riot?

Any thoughts on what to do if one gets caught in a violent riot?

Obviously you want to get out of there ASAP. But if we find ourselves in a situation where that's not easily done...... then what to do?

CrypticCRICKET 05-10-2018 01:52 AM

Hide or maybe surround yourself with others who are fleeing and also seem capable of defending themselves so that you can work together to escape the situation. Arm yourself with whatever you can find.

longhorngnu 05-10-2018 02:07 AM

Put the truck in 4x4 and get some axle grease. **** em.

varuna 05-10-2018 02:38 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Augustman (Post 18494001)
Any thoughts on what to do if one gets caught in a violent riot?

Obviously you want to get out of there ASAP. But if we find ourselves in a situation where that's not easily done...... then what to do?

For lack of better term I call it it "Tactical withdraw"
I've been in such situation before, so my opinion is based in first hand experience.

America's Patriot 05-10-2018 10:37 AM

Been caught in one while coming out of Seoul Station. When you get caught in a riot, you stick to the outer perimeter (I ran along a wall) and never run through the crowd. Do anything you can, to separate yourself from the chaos. In my case, I (and a couple of buddies) climbed over a wall. We were only yards from the chaos, but the wall placed us "out of sight, out of mind". From there we had options. Also, you can enter a building to separate yourself from the riot.

The most important thing, is to get as much distance between you and it as quickly as possible. If you see an officer, don't run away, WALK towards them letting them know you need help. They will get you to safety. HELP is a universal word and known around the world. We were assisted by ROK soldiers during our "escape".

toyboy 05-10-2018 11:18 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by varuna (Post 18494185)
For lack of better term I call it it "Tactical withdraw"
I've been in such situation before, so my opinion is based in first hand experience.

id love to hear the story, it might be instructional. a good post and question, you don't have to be participating to be caught in one. could be at work, going to and from work or school, or just out and about minding your own business. having some thought beforehand how to deal with it if it happens could be the difference between escaping and surviving or a less desired result.

SBK 05-10-2018 11:31 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by longhorngnu (Post 18494113)
Why would you put yourself in that position in the first place? If you planned on going there - then you didn't think it through.

If you just happen upon it. That's different.

Obviously he wasn't talking about getting caught in a riot intentionally. 99% of the stuff we talk about on this forum is useless if you're able to avoid the situation to start with. The entire point of forums like this is talking about ways to get out of or survival situations that we get caught in, not that we intentionally put ourselves in.

OP, here's a couple good articles on the subject.
http://www.activeresponsetraining.ne...val-compendium
http://www.activeresponsetraining.ne...and-flash-mobs

charliemeyer007 05-10-2018 11:37 AM

I think all those people fleeing that concert in LV could be considered the same as Riot.

Every scenario has it's own solution(S). Situational awareness - the ability to evaluate the threat and take evasive action. Play what if when you are out and about. What if an earthquake happened right now? What to do - run for the door or get in a door way?

If bullets are flying knowing the difference between cover and concealment would be good. People are killed by being trampled so stay on your feet. Stay clear of fires. Use your glasses and bandanna to help keep stuff out of your eyes and lungs.

Redlineshooter 05-13-2018 09:41 AM

stay indoors or be prepared if armed shoot to kill

Camelfilter 05-13-2018 10:14 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Redlineshooter (Post 18519714)
stay indoors or be prepared if armed shoot to kill

Good for you guy, but not very helpful for the discussion at hand

I went to a free New Years Eve concert in BK Thailand way back. Most of the crowd was in a very large open area which had been cordoned off with check points. The check point folks were not doing anything really in regards to much checking the folks entering the main viewing area (no wanding, just random bag checks). I went thru without being checked. This caused obvious choke points, if there were to have been an “issue” in the main area.

I opted to leave that venue, because it seemed not the best place to be. Found a rather nice spot to set at several hundred yards away which had huge viewing TV’s setup (on the far periffery of the event, and up some stairs, and with cement bollards and benches).

Mid concert the show stopped abruptly AND power cut out. Power came back after a minute or 2 and some official announcement was made. Frantic pandemonium ensued, and I could see a crush of folks and litterally folks running in panic. Given where I ended up going to watch the show, I just simply let the panicked folk run around the benches and bollards I was setting at. A few others did similar, while some attempted to leave mid-panick and got caught up in it.

Turns out that there had been several grenade attacks downtown (none at that event, thankfully), but they had announced such and canceled the show...

Anyways, point being, EVERY situation will be different. Stay calm. Use your noggin.

Exarmyguy 05-13-2018 03:05 PM

Move perpendicular to the flow of the crowd until you are at the edge . Then move backwards against the crowd and get out of there. Most riots arent spontaneous . There is usually time to get out of them before they get going full out.

Ankylus 05-14-2018 01:48 PM

I wrote of my riot experience previously in another thread.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ankylus (Post 18346593)
How I survived my first, and only, riot.

My friends and I were standing around in the train station in Amsterdam. I needed to exchange some money, so I separated myself, walked over to the bank there in the station, and stood in line with my wallet and my money in my hands.

Then, it started. There was a rhythmic banging, like people banging on the lockers in unison. And then a low pitched chanting that I couldn't understand because it was in Dutch. You could hear it getting louder, and louder, and louder as they were walking up the quay.

Then, someone blew a whistle three or four times and all Hell broke loose. People began streaming off the quay into the lobby, the police chasing them and whaling on them with night sticks all about the head and shoulders. They didn't stop for anything and swept completely through the lobby and out into the street. At least the ones who weren't on the ground struggling as they were being handcuffed.

Turns out, a group of soccer hooligans had come up from The Hague for the big match that day in Amsterdam and the police decided to give them a right proper welcome.

And so, how did I survive? Like the rest of my friends did. I just stayed out of the way and let the riot move on.

But I agree that every situation is different. In general, though, I agree with this advice above about making your way to the periphery and then slide around the periphery until you can get out:

Quote:

Originally Posted by Exarmyguy (Post 18522050)
Move perpendicular to the flow of the crowd until you are at the edge . Then move backwards against the crowd and get out of there. Most riots arent spontaneous . There is usually time to get out of them before they get going full out.

Also, if you are going AWAY from the action the law enforcement is more likely to realize that you are not a participant. Or at least that you have had enough and are leaving.

TENNGRIZZ 05-15-2018 06:30 PM

Fix bayonets!

Tommy Kaira 05-15-2018 11:04 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Camelfilter (Post 18519898)
Good for you guy, but not very helpful for the discussion at hand

I went to a free New Years Eve concert in BK Thailand way back. Most of the crowd was in a very large open area which had been cordoned off with check points. The check point folks were not doing anything really in regards to much checking the folks entering the main viewing area (no wanding, just random bag checks). I went thru without being checked. This caused obvious choke points, if there were to have been an “issue” in the main area.

I opted to leave that venue, because it seemed not the best place to be. Found a rather nice spot to set at several hundred yards away which had huge viewing TV’s setup (on the far periffery of the event, and up some stairs, and with cement bollards and benches).

Mid concert the show stopped abruptly AND power cut out. Power came back after a minute or 2 and some official announcement was made. Frantic pandemonium ensued, and I could see a crush of folks and litterally folks running in panic. Given where I ended up going to watch the show, I just simply let the panicked folk run around the benches and bollards I was setting at. A few others did similar, while some attempted to leave mid-panick and got caught up in it.

Turns out that there had been several grenade attacks downtown (none at that event, thankfully), but they had announced such and canceled the show...

Anyways, point being, EVERY situation will be different. Stay calm. Use your noggin.

This is the right answer. Don't put yourself in a situation where it could happen.

America's Patriot 05-16-2018 11:22 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Tommy Kaira (Post 18542354)
This is the right answer. Don't put yourself in a situation where it could happen.

I agree, but sometimes it's inevitable... In my example, we exited the train and immediately smelled CS inside of an empty terminal. The riot was just outside and the reason it was empty at the time.

I've also seen vidoes online where people turn a corner in their car and bam... right in the middle of a riot with people banging their car, jumping on it, etc. It just irks me when they get in trouble for trying to flee and scatter some of the rioters (they pass themselves off as "demonstrators", but we know...).

SBK 05-16-2018 12:52 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Tommy Kaira (Post 18542354)

Well damn it! We've been doing all this survivalist **** wrong the whole time! All we have to do is not be where we might need it. Case closed. Might as well shut down this forum. :rolleyes:

ambos lados 05-17-2018 08:29 PM

Being On the Periphery Saved Me...

I was caught up in a riot years ago, and have been somewhat afraid of big crowds and densely packed humanity ever since. Frankly it was terrifying being pushed along and knowing how easily I could be trampled...or trample someone else. It was hard to breathe, let alone think constructively.

By luck, I guess, I was already on the periphery, sort of getting scraped along walls and fences. I did think about how to climb out of it, but didn't think I had the strength--and I was afraid of losing my balance and did not want to be conspicuous.

I first took partial shelter behind an obstacle, which allowed me to catch my breath and look around. I saw there was a more sheltered doorway where I was going to just squeeze in and wait. But, lucky again, the door opened, first a crack, then wide open, and I tumbled into some apartment. The occupants all had firearms ready, but were hospitable as could be!

On balance it was a lucky day. But I'm interested to read everyone else's advice.

Redlineshooter 05-17-2018 09:06 PM

Camelfilter, 1 thing to note we are talking about a riot condition of some kind, having experienced this in real life people in these scenarios are in general looking to do you harm..

Sadly I have strong belief in self preservation and as such someone trying to kill me or trying to do me in serious bodily harm, looses their right to live because their collective aim is to do me harm..

Personally I rather avoid conflict where plausible though having had star pickets to kitchen sinks thrown at me when I was younger gives me the unique perspective that we live in a society of kill or be killed...

And if you don't live by the self preservation motto.. you might aswell blow your brains out because you aren't going to be able to protect yourself otherwise..

In what I last said you will be faced with the choices of live or die, and the reality is in riot conditions you will need to live in the reality of shoot to live or be bludgeon to death.

self preservation you either avoid conflict and stay in doors or prepare to shoot your way out of dodge to get to safety..

NOTE we are talking about a riot scenario not a situation where you are fleeing from some type of an attack whilst both situations can and do parallel one another it would not be something you can directly compare to each other given each scenario is different...

In your situation in Thailand that is basic commonsense of situational awareness and not putting yourself in a situation where you have to leave a given area that has choke points of fleeing people it is great it was a televised event and you watched it at a bar within 1-3 blocks of the event..

However this is not what I would call a riot condition and to use this as an example because you are talking about a staged event rather than people looking to destroy an area and vandalizing as they go along where you end up caught in the middle getting bashed within a inch of your life.. because you are in the wrong place at the wrong time....

What i said before "Stay indoors or be prepared if armed shoot to kill" this is a basic part of situational awareness..

Looking places where riots take place in societal context where violence is a factor in these riots the only choice you have is shoot to kill in most situations where the violence exists.. in failure to do this might see yourself on a morgue slab or in a hospital bed in a comer..

Gator Monroe 05-17-2018 09:24 PM

If your reason for being there is suddenly a bad idea ( more and out of control counter protestors arrive ) and everything goes south try and egress in a committed group of friendlies and do not allow your numbers to dwindle until safety is achieved . If you get singled out and your life is threatened then it is a mag dump and top off while you seek cover ...

Mountain 05-17-2018 11:03 PM

Personally I would never go to any place that had enough people "too" riot. I am not a fan of large groups of people, if the store is too crowded I will come back another day to do my shopping. But then that is why I live in nowhere north Idaho, not many people here.