Survivalist Forum

Survivalist Forum (https://www.survivalistboards.com/index.php)
-   Disaster Preparedness General Discussion (https://www.survivalistboards.com/forumdisplay.php?f=49)
-   -   E.C.W.S sleeping bag questions (https://www.survivalistboards.com/showthread.php?t=254438)

Filthy_McNasty 08-29-2012 09:44 PM

E.C.W.S sleeping bag questions

I found a 3pc E.C.W.S. sleeping bag set for a price that I cannot pass up. This particular one says "created especially for civilian use--imported". Are all genuine ecws sleeping bags made in America? If this one is a knock-off, what drawbacks will it have compared to the real military ones?

Should I avoid buying it?

Thanks.

oldcamper 08-29-2012 09:50 PM

Well if it's a knock off it may be missing the important stuff like fire resistant properties, or the filling may have problems.

Who knows what the filling actually is.

You said 3 piece but the military ones are 4 piece so what part is the missing piece?

You get what you pay for so the risk is up to you. Good luck

TDFbound 08-29-2012 10:06 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by oldcamper (Post 4570023)
Well if it's a knock off it may be missing the important stuff like fire resistant properties, or the filling may have problems.

Who knows what the filling actually is.

You said 3 piece but the military ones are 4 piece so what part is the missing piece?

You get what you pay for so the risk is up to you. Good luck

The only pieces I was given are a Gore-Tex bivy, cold weather black bag, and warm weather green bag. As far as I know, the military ones are a three piece system. It's what my entire battallion uses and every single one of us knows it's a piece of ****.

lrsd.ranger 08-29-2012 10:09 PM

Save your money and buy a Snugsak. I have one for summer and winter, and they are both amazing.

jeepguy93 08-29-2012 10:40 PM

It has to be american made. Tennier Industries makes them. Should see a tag in the picture.

whirlibird 08-29-2012 11:02 PM

Skip the cheap stuff.

Get a Wiggy's bag/system.

http://www.wiggys.com/

Preacherboy 08-29-2012 11:33 PM

the fourth part of the system is the "stuff sack"...although when you combine the other parts of the system together they are all pretty large. There are civilian equivalents that are warmer and lighter.

However, I enjoy military surplus and prefer it over civilian because of the price...but knockoffs are junk! If there is no NSN or obvious markings from military contracters there is no quality.

Ethereal Killer 08-29-2012 11:47 PM

you should be able to get a milsurp one for less than $100. It sounds like a knock off. frankly the mil ones arent stellar but for the price it's hard to beat. I'd leave it even at $50.

Filthy_McNasty 08-30-2012 08:37 AM

Thanks for your replies. The SB contains the following:

Intermediate Sleeping Bag:
  • Can be used with one or both of the other Bags
  • Drawstring hood
  • 2-1/2 lbs. of HollofilŽ
  • Super tough 190T rip-stop fabric
  • Measures 34 x 81 x 24"
  • All 3 Bags together earn a -10°F comfort rating

Patrol Sleeping Bag:
  • 1 1/2 lbs. HolloŽ fiber
  • 190T rip-stop fabric with a water-resistant coating
  • Large nylon zipper and baffle
  • Drawstring hood
  • Measures 81 x 34 x 24"
  • Comfort rated +30-50°F

Outer Shell Bivy Bag:
  • Waterproof, taped and breathable material
  • Fully encloses your body with grip-strip closure at top
  • Hooded
  • Includes compression sack that holds all three bags. 8 lbs., 5 ozs. Imported

Quote:

Used together or separately, these Bags bring the comprehensive suite of E.C.W.S. features to an extra-comfy, completely adaptable four-season sleep system created especially for civilian use

The SB in question costs $69.99 shipped. That seems like a really good deal even for an import, no?

navycorpsman 08-30-2012 08:45 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Filthy_McNasty (Post 4571040)
Thanks for your replies. The SB contains the following:

Intermediate Sleeping Bag:
  • Can be used with one or both of the other Bags
  • Drawstring hood
  • 2-1/2 lbs. of HollofilŽ
  • Super tough 190T rip-stop fabric
  • Measures 34 x 81 x 24"
  • All 3 Bags together earn a -10°F comfort rating

Patrol Sleeping Bag:
  • 1 1/2 lbs. HolloŽ fiber
  • 190T rip-stop fabric with a water-resistant coating
  • Large nylon zipper and baffle
  • Drawstring hood
  • Measures 81 x 34 x 24"
  • Comfort rated +30-50°F

Outer Shell Bivy Bag:
  • Waterproof, taped and breathable material
  • Fully encloses your body with grip-strip closure at top
  • Hooded
  • Includes compression sack that holds all three bags. 8 lbs., 5 ozs. Imported

The SB in question costs $69.99 shipped. That seems like a really good deal even for an import, no?

a lot of problems I've been hearing with the knock-offs is the bivvy sack isn't as breathable as they say. the military issue is gor-tex and works amazing, people that have the knockoffs say they sweat horribly and get soaked.

navycorpsman 08-30-2012 08:46 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by TDFbound (Post 4570070)
The only pieces I was given are a Gore-Tex bivy, cold weather black bag, and warm weather green bag. As far as I know, the military ones are a three piece system. It's what my entire battallion uses and every single one of us knows it's a piece of ****.

I loved both of my issued sleep systems, they've kept me warm on a lot of cold nights in the field. Why don't you like it?

Ethereal Killer 08-30-2012 10:27 AM

IME the ECWSS with minimal clothing on is good as a SYSTEM to maybe 25F. thats being generous. the patrol bag is good with minimal clothing to maybe 40F.

Of course if you wear more layers you can extend the range, but the bags themselves are just not that good in the big spectrum.

I'll second the wiggys reccomendations tho.

I'd skip the imported bag combo. The USGI bivvy is made with real goretex and that alone is worth the $100 you'll pay for a surplus system.

A really sweet bag combo is the wiggys overbag, wiggys ultralight and a USGI bivvy. that lets you do about anything you are likely to encounter in the lower 48.

the cow 08-30-2012 10:30 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Filthy_McNasty (Post 4570008)
I found a 3pc E.C.W.S. sleeping bag set for a price that I cannot pass up. This particular one says "created especially for civilian use--imported". Are all genuine ecws sleeping bags made in America? If this one is a knock-off, what drawbacks will it have compared to the real military ones?

Should I avoid buying it?

Thanks.

If its the Sportsman's guide version, don't get it. I had that before I went to the real deal. The zippers are meh and the snaps are crap. The stuff sack tore the first time I tried putting it in. I use it as my car's BOB and for when people go camping with me and don't have one

You're better off buying the system used and can get all the parts for 50-100 bucks. From my experience, the components are usually in very good shape and have that good ol' surplus store smell.

Remember, you buy chinese crap, you get chinese crap.

Filthy_McNasty 08-30-2012 11:26 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by the cow (Post 4571421)
If its the Sportsman's guide version, don't get it. I had that before I went to the real deal. The zippers are meh and the snaps are crap. The stuff sack tore the first time I tried putting it in. I use it as my car's BOB and for when people go camping with me and don't have one

You're better off buying the system used and can get all the parts for 50-100 bucks. From my experience, the components are usually in very good shape and have that good ol' surplus store smell.

Remember, you buy chinese crap, you get chinese crap.

Close guess! It's from Bargain Outfitters, which is a sister company to Sportsman's Guide:

http://www.bargainoutfitters.com/net....aspx?a=511888

I wholeheartedly agree about buying chinese junk, however, I need a low cost sleeping bag of some sort. The Wiggy's and Snugsacks cost upwards of $150. The BO sleeping bag looks like a pretty decent deal for $70

Eagle One 08-30-2012 11:34 AM

I jut bought a very good condition used military sleep system, the previous generation that is good down to -30 for $69 bucks yesterday from a surplus dealer in Mo., also bought a full Mollee II ruck with the sleep system carrier for $89 bucks from the same place. Should have them next week I will post a review of the sleep system, but for $69 if it is in good condition that seems like a great deal, it is cheaper than the snugsak I bought 10 years ago.

Ethereal Killer 08-30-2012 12:02 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Filthy_McNasty (Post 4571646)
Close guess! It's from Bargain Outfitters, which is a sister company to Sportsman's Guide:

http://www.bargainoutfitters.com/net....aspx?a=511888

I wholeheartedly agree about buying chinese junk, however, I need a low cost sleeping bag of some sort. The Wiggy's and Snugsacks cost upwards of $150. The BO sleeping bag looks like a pretty decent deal for $70

you wont find a better system for the price than a real GI ecwss. dont buy the knock-offs, find you a real GI one.

jeepguy93 08-30-2012 12:24 PM

The goretex bivy is my favorite part of the system. Not only is it tough as hell. It waterproof. The green patrol bag actually packs up pretty small by itself. I like this bag because its larger than a standard bag. This is nice when its warmer for that leg room. However the black intermediate bag packs a little larger. This bag does a good job of keeping me warm. Ive slept in the bivy, intermediate bag, and thermarest down to 7F and I was fine. If opened the draft tube up I could feel the heat pour out. I run warm anyways so temp rating are some what useless because everyone is different.

I have also used the bivy in freezing rain/rain/snow and ive never had a leak or condensation build up. I do however make sure the DWR is up to snuff on all my breathable outdoor gear. Overall its a good system all 3 peices pack to large. I never take both bags. But when packed with 1 bag and bivy its not a bad combo.

Preacherboy 08-30-2012 12:48 PM

I thought I read the true military MSS is rated to -40 with all three bags together, also if you are worried about price you can probably find one on ebay close to your $70 price tag on the chinese one.

The issue with the knock off's will be the stitching, zippers, material, insulation...none of that will have be up to army specific standards and who knows how long it will last or if it will keep you warm.

The other issue I've read about with synthetic insulation (instead of down) is after awhile it gets "compressed" and instead of being a 0 degree rating would be maybe 30 degree or something like that.

shawn7335 09-03-2012 05:39 AM

I don’t like the knock off stuff. I still like the old GI green bag with poncho liner.

jetgraphics 09-03-2012 06:33 AM

At the opposite end of the weight spectrum are the camping hammocks, like Hennessy Hammock. These aren't the old fashioned hammock tents of yore. They weigh in at under 3 lbs., some less. Hennessy Hammocks come with integral insect mesh, rainfly, and are ready to go.

(Hennessy has patents on his asymmetric bottom-entry camping hammock, which explains why no one else copies his designs. But there are DIY plans floating around for those who are adept at sewing. The rest of the industry uses side entry. Personally, I like the bottom entry because it is least stressful and immune from accidental fallout.)

http://hennessyhammock.com/
http://hammockforums.net/

If you go the hanging Chad route, your sleep gear shifts away from traditional bags, etc.

In a nutshell, due to one's back compressing any insulation, the typical cold weather hanger uses an "under quilt" suspended BELOW the hammock and thus uncompressed. This also means that they tend to be proprietary / custom sized to the specific hammock system used.

Some cottage industries make multi-tasking products like under quilts that can be turned into snow parkas, etc, etc.

YouTube has some interesting videos of winter hangers doing their thing in the ice and snow.

Humorous video by "Shug" Emery:
2012 Frozen Butt Hang: -19.8 coldest group hang

Some of the fanatics are into ultra light weight camping, so they tend to have quirky / eclectic methods of camping. But that's a good thing for a B.O.B. and hoofin' to one's B.O.L.

Lastly, hammocks are ideal for hot / humid camping, by design.