Survivalist Forum - Reply to Topic
Survivalist Forum

Advertise Here

Go Back   Survivalist Forum > > >
Articles Classifieds Donations Gallery Groups Links Store Survival Files


Notices

Advertise Here
Thread: Eviction Thread For Home Bible Study Reply to Thread
Title:
  
Message:
Post Icons
You may choose an icon for your message from the following list:
 

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Survivalist Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
Gender
Insurance
Please select your insurance company (Optional)

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.



Additional Options
Miscellaneous Options

Topic Review (Newest First)
07-24-2019 05:21 AM
PurpleKitty I'm not pulling rank, I'm just saying I do this. Just like I would take medical advice from someone who is actually a medical professional.

I thought about you last night. Illegals next door had their ****ing house church again in the back yard, 10 PM at night, very loud, on some sort of speaker system right next to my bedroom. Some guy going on and on in Spanish.

****ing rude. I called the police on them. It was pretty funny, they kept getting louder and louder and suddenly stopped dead in midsentence when the police showed up. I know for a fact the wife/mother next door is not here legally so they always freak when the police show up.

Yes, they had a perfect right to house church. No, they did not have a right to do it late at night or use a speaker system pointed at my house (per the police). There is a right and a wrong way to go about this. If we all lived in rentals you can BET I would have called the landlord.

Now I have an obligation not to repay them. I got up at 3 AM. I will be leaving with him. We have a very noisy metal ramp on the house to get him out. I could easily stomp up and down the ramp several times, talking loudly to him and the driver when they show up... but I will not. I will make the minimum noise possible even though they "deserve" to be woken up and kept up like I was.
07-23-2019 09:32 PM
Central Scrutinizer I will be watching this space for the trial.

I am expecting the apartment management has video tapes and affidavits of those making complaints. They are remaining silent to prepare their case.

Sent from my SM-T350 using Tapatalk
07-23-2019 06:00 PM
PeterEnergy
Quote:
Originally Posted by PurpleKitty View Post
No one had to go the legal route, trying to "get rid of" me.

I have actual practical experience doing street evangelism. You might want to listen to someone who is doing that.

You have not discussed having a personal ministry. Just a lot of opinions on a message board.
Ouch! I feel you are trying to pull rank on me. We obviously disagree about this case.

Yet, I agree with your “better” approach whole heartedly. And no one has to have a personal ministry to qualify for grasping what is a “better” approach. Trouble is, this thread is NOT about the “better” approach. The starting point is the legal route.

Your argument seems to be that since they did not use the “better” approach, they should lose the legal case. I don’t agree with that for all the reasons I’ve already stated. One more thing; I am NOT taking the Complaint as positive disposition of fact, as more authoritative than the Defendants rebuttal in the article of the OP. Rather, the reverse. My presumption is with the couples innocence - halo effect notwithstanding.
07-23-2019 04:46 PM
PurpleKitty Peter, there is something called the "Halo effect".

An example, I can see a really gnarly looking, grizzled dude wearing dirty clothes, at Walmart, but if I see two forty-pound sacks of cat food in his cart I am going to have a very different view of him.

In your case nothing said you you, no evidence, will convince you they are not martyred saints, up for a huge crown in heaven, "unjustly" persecuted by people's desire they adhere to basic standards of decency and not disturb their neighbors - no, they should be allowed to do whatever it is they are doing, AND MORE "in the name of faith" because forget about respect, they should crack as many eggs as possible to make their damned omelette.

I disagree with that view; we're going to be at odds. It has been my experience ENTIRELY I can witness and literally share my faith with complete strangers, MANY of them, ongoing without ruffling feathers. The only times the police were called they thought I was begging. Once I cleared that up the officers wanted Bibles, too, and told me to carry on.

No one had to go the legal route, trying to "get rid of" me.

I have actual practical experience doing street evangelism. You might want to listen to someone who is doing that.

You have not discussed having a personal ministry. Just a lot of opinions on a message board.
07-23-2019 11:24 AM
Mr. Sockpuppet
Quote:
Originally Posted by LibShooter View Post
Actually, the lease does say you’re not allowed to do things that a lot of the other residents don’t like.
Then if a substantial number of residents don't like a "Sanders 2020" bumper sticker on an individual's car in the parking lot, that individual is in violation of their lease.

Then if a substantial number of residents don't like an individual is wearing a Kippah, that individual is in violation of their lease.

You see where this is going. Right? So where does it end?
07-23-2019 11:12 AM
Mr. Sockpuppet The article in the OP is somewhat unrevealing. Try this link instead: http://www.roanoke.com/news/virginia...c8766119f.html

Quote:
Originally Posted by LibShooter View Post
It's a pretty stupid move by the Senior Living community's management, but you are right, they are not bound by the First Amendment. Fox News reported that the management company had received complaints from other residents about being pressured to join the bible study... so there may be two sides.

But the upshot is that a private company can't decide you can't live in their apartment complex based on your religion, but it can have a say in what you do, especially in the communal areas.
Titles VIII through IX of the Civil Rights Act of 1968, more commonly known as the Fair Housing Act (FHA), applies. This is even before considering Virginia's housing laws.

It prohibits discrimination in housing on the basis of religion or practice of religion, race, color, national origin, sex, familial status, or disability. It even applies to mere perceptions of such characteristics, meaning a landlord who refuses to rent to an applicant that he mistakenly believes is Muslim, still violates federal law even if the applicant is not Muslim.

The law also states that landlords must be consistent, meaning arbitrary and/or capricious enforcement is prohibited. If one tenant cannot conduct a prayer at community dinner or a Bible study, then nobody is permitted to pray at a community dinner or hold a Bible study. Though based upon a reading of the FHA, it would appear that such would be in violation of the law.

Of course, the law is also a balancing test. This is a republic, where the rights of all are considered.

If the management company wanted to avoid all this, then their notice to the specific tenants shouldn't have even mentioned prayer or Bible study, but rather objective terms and instances consistent with being obnoxious and/or annoying individual(s).
07-23-2019 10:11 AM
merlinfire
Quote:
Originally Posted by LibShooter View Post
Seriously, Dude. This is just a group of nice old folks in Virginia who want their apartment complex Community Room back.
Probably sits empty 95% of the time like all such rooms do all across the country.

Please. We know why you're taking the stance you are. I freely admit, I'm pro-Christian. Am I biased? Yes, and I'm allowed to be.
07-22-2019 12:06 PM
PeterEnergy
Quote:
Originally Posted by LibShooter View Post
You keep saying that, but it is simply not true. The entire first half of the complaint refers to the many ways in which the minister violated to rules governing the use of the Community Room.
LOL Yea, when you construe words to mean whatever you want, like Bible Study is a business, sure.
07-22-2019 11:30 AM
LibShooter
Quote:
Originally Posted by merlinfire View Post
The great sea-changes of history have beginnings, and we've seen it shift over the past decade. This is just more evidence that it is becoming acceptable and quite popular to persecute Christians in petty ways.
Seriously, Dude. This is just a group of nice old folks in Virginia who want their apartment complex Community Room back. The preponderance of the evidence suggests that the minister was acting like a jerk and annoying the neighbors. So, I guess I do kind of think you’re a fool if you think this little dispute among neighbors is a Sign.


Quote:
Originally Posted by PeterEnergy View Post
The Great Commission does not have the politically correct qualification, 'as long as it is respectful and does not bother strangers.'
Maybe not, but the lease does, and the lease is the legal document the resident agreed to and is being held to.

Quote:
Said differently, the Complaint is not about HOW but WHAT. They want faith practitioners gone, period!
You keep saying that, but it is simply not true. The entire first half of the complaint refers to the many ways in which the minister violated to rules governing the use of the Community Room.
07-22-2019 10:45 AM
PeterEnergy
Quote:
Originally Posted by PurpleKitty View Post
There is a way to practice your faith, that is respectful and does not bother strangers.
Although I like this idea, I realize there is no way to be evangelical, never mind proselytizing without taking this risk - as many here at SB do. What you write is a politically correct premise with no historical or Biblical support. Jesus and the Apostles were not martyred because they practiced their faith in a respectful manner that did not bother strangers.

The Great Commission does not have the politically correct qualification, 'as long as it is respectful and does not bother strangers.' Furthermore, the allegation that this 85-year old couple were not respectful in practicing their faith is not even made in the Complaint. There is no HOW to do WHAT (conduct Bible study there) that is not bothering strangers. Said differently, the Complaint is not about HOW but WHAT. They want faith practitioners gone, period!

Our 1st Liberty is Religious Liberty.
07-22-2019 06:51 AM
merlinfire
Quote:
Originally Posted by LibShooter View Post
Oh good lord! Residents wanting to use their apartment community room are not going to send anybody to the catacombs.

Some people are SO Dramatic!
Of course you'll be one cheering when it happens.

Do you think us fools? The great sea-changes of history have beginnings, and we've seen it shift over the past decade. This is just more evidence that it is becoming acceptable and quite popular to persecute Christians in petty ways. Eventually, that will transition to significant, meaningful ways. And at that time, they will have to go underground. We are not ignorant of your devices.
07-19-2019 08:48 PM
PurpleKitty Serious persecution only happens in America during the tribulation. Presumably most reading this are saved and will be raptured, which occurs prior to the Tribulation.

But I have met a lot of gung ho Christians who can't wait to "really" suffer for Jesus, but they won't drop half an hour a day for some Bible study and intercessory prayer.

There is a way to practice your faith, that is respectful and does not bother strangers. Where you put yourself out there (sometimes literally) and make yourself available to the unreached, to approach, on their own, when they are ready.

I had one Bible Handout recipient drove past me for years, he said, before one day he decided to take the Bible. But it was all entirely his decision.

That I have found to be the best approach, outside of sharing testimony.
07-19-2019 12:41 PM
LibShooter
Quote:
Originally Posted by merlinfire View Post
these are the same folks that will be going along to get along when Christians are forced back into the catacombs in a few decades. but they will have forgotten all about this conversation by then.
Oh good lord! Residents wanting to use their apartment community room are not going to send anybody to the catacombs.

Some people are SO Dramatic!
07-19-2019 10:18 AM
merlinfire these are the same folks that will be going along to get along when Christians are forced back into the catacombs in a few decades. but they will have forgotten all about this conversation by then.
07-19-2019 02:47 AM
Central Scrutinizer This is an interesting observation,


https://www.boredpanda.com/religious...ign=BPFacebook

Sent from my SM-T350 using Tapatalk
07-18-2019 07:57 PM
Central Scrutinizer
Quote:
Originally Posted by LibShooter View Post
Actually, the lease does say you’re not allowed to do things that a lot of the other residents don’t like.
Leases do indeed have broad definitions of "nuisances". If they dsimply on't like you, they can put you out generally. They can just say they won't renew your lease. In fact that happened in this case and the Hagues are now trying to squeak by on a month to month. Given the age if the lawsuit, they might be out already,

Sent from my SM-T350 using Tapatalk
07-18-2019 07:40 PM
LibShooter
Quote:
Originally Posted by merlinfire View Post
Peter, you know that you're not allowed to do things people don't like?
Actually, the lease does say you’re not allowed to do things that a lot of the other residents don’t like.
07-18-2019 07:10 PM
PeterEnergy
Quote:
Originally Posted by PurpleKitty View Post
You don't get to crap all over other's rights and then say "But it's Jesus".

LOL you got reversed whose rights have been crapped over


Quote:
Originally Posted by PurpleKitty View Post
The fact is they are probably into the watchman nee cult which involves a lot of loud screaming by all participants, during the "service".
Speaking of reading comprehension, facts are not “probably.” That what is called speculation, not a fact.
07-18-2019 06:55 PM
PurpleKitty Peter, better work on your reading comprehension. I have handed out THOUSANDS of Bibles to strangers.

I have said, and will continue to say: there is a right way, and a wrong way, to share Jesus. You don't get to crap all over other's rights and then say "But it's Jesus".

Like CS said, if they had been quiet and respectful of their neighbors no one would be complaining. The fact is they are probably into the watchman nee cult which involves a lot of loud screaming by all participants, during the "service". They feel they have to scream loudly for Jesus or they will not be saved. The cult has a LONG tradition of disrespecting neighbors based on my own observations over 40 years.

If not them, then their ilk. There are a lot of very bad mannered "Christians" out there disrespecting their neighbors, and the name of Jesus.
07-18-2019 03:57 PM
merlinfire
Quote:
Originally Posted by PeterEnergy View Post
Well, when words can mean anything you want, I can understand your confusion.

Given that words have objective meaning, sometimes people get together for business and sometimes they get together for other reasons. This is one of those other, non-business reasons.
Peter, you know that you're not allowed to do things people don't like? Why, you might hurt their feelings.

Now pack up your stuff get get out of my apartment complex, you bigot!
This thread has more than 20 replies. Click here to review the whole thread.

Posting Rules
You may post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 02:49 AM.


Powered by vBulletin®
Copyright ©2000 - 2019, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Search Engine Optimisation provided by DragonByte SEO (Lite) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2019 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.
vBulletin Security provided by vBSecurity v2.2.2 (Pro) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2019 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.
Copyright © Kevin Felts 2006 - 2015,
Green theme by http://www.themesbydesign.net