Survivalist Forum

Advertise Here

Go Back   Survivalist Forum > Survival & Preparedness Forum > Disaster Preparedness General Discussion
Articles Chat Room Classifieds Donations Gallery Groups Links Store Survival Files

Disaster Preparedness General Discussion Anything Disaster Preparedness or Survival Related

Advertise Here

Old 03-02-2010, 05:59 PM
I look good in tin foil

Default how will you know when to Bug out??

Advertise Here

Dont really know how to ask the question without getting too personal. When some talk of bugging out... Is there a certain scenario that must take place for you to know its time for YOU to go? Is it one thing... or a list. For instance... my parents are out of state... so I had said we need to watch out for 5 things... and then we will know we are in for TEOTWAWKI...., but we will head out when #3 happens..., because if you wait till 4 or 5, you may not be able to get there. I hope I am making sense. Thanks
Old 03-02-2010, 06:08 PM
Troublesome.

Thanked 1,847 Times in 720 Posts

"spidey senses" - when its time to go - you will know.

Seriously, there are soooo many different potential scenarios I doubt its possible to create a list to follow.

Its been my experience humans either have an intuitive . . sensitivity, to threat or they do not.

The down side is that many people have gotten so fat and soft and lazy and dependent on big brother to look after them they won't pay attention when their 'spidey senses' signal the alarm.

And as far as I am concerned, that is just fine too.
Old 03-02-2010, 06:17 PM
Hunter

Thanked 1,055 Times in 465 Posts

i will bug out when i can't stay any longer, when "its time to go". i'm not being flippant, i just can't explain it any better.
Old 03-02-2010, 06:20 PM
Just a rock & spear guy

Thanked 1,616 Times in 612 Posts

Mushroom clouds, Blue Helmets, Invading hodres of refugees, Obama's re-election...
The Following User Says Thank You to Gronk For This Useful Post:
Old 03-02-2010, 06:23 PM
Survivor

Thanked 3,454 Times in 1,670 Posts
Default time to bug out

when hethedad and I decide we can't make it where we are. when the time is right we'll know it. By then it may be too late, but that is as good a plan as any, our stuff is here, our family (disabled elderly mom and adult disabled daughter with adult disabled boyfriend) will be with us, there will be no place to go so the plan is to make a stand even if it is the last stand right here.
Can't plan for every scenario. Everybody's situation is different.
The Following User Says Thank You to methemom For This Useful Post:
Old 03-02-2010, 06:36 PM
Deus exsisto laus

Thanked 6,742 Times in 2,292 Posts

When the S hits the fan! TP
Old 03-02-2010, 06:56 PM
Trapper

We have prepared and plan to bug in. BUT, if a Chernobyl type incident or wide spread poison gas leaks (have two large Chlorine and Ammonia systems three miles away) scenario then we are prepared to exit very quickly. Just a fall out will not bother us as we are prepared for that.
When to "Bug Out", if you are faced with overwhelming odds and have no help to flank, ambush, or effectively snipe them then it is time to go. Patton said that fixed fortifications are a monument to the stupidity of man. Our "fortified" home is just that. We could easily fend off small ill equipped groups but after that it would just become a big target--and I do not like being on the "X". If you BO then have established routes with alternates, rallying points(in case of seperation), set destinations with fall back positions. If things start looking desperate then cache supplies at your two positions(or more). Waiting till you HAVE to leave is way too late. Just a point of information-we keep virtual rooms in Aluminum shipping containers. We can leave and never return if necessary and in just a few minutes. We have several flip top plastic containers so we can "sweep" our pantries. Be prepared and if you never need it you are out nothing but some time. If you do then your preps are priceless.
Old 03-02-2010, 06:59 PM
Recent Blog:
Target Shooter

When I feel like it.
Old 03-02-2010, 07:52 PM
Hunter

Thanked 1,578 Times in 640 Posts

When it becomes to dangerous for us to stay home due to whatever, then it's time to GOOD.
Old 03-02-2010, 08:26 PM
Live Secret, Live Happy

Thanked 12,731 Times in 4,662 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptainFuzzy View Post
"spidey senses" - when its time to go - you will know.

Seriously, there are soooo many different potential scenarios I doubt its possible to create a list to follow.
Not a bad way to put it. Most people have a sixth sense that will warn them of imminent danger if they will listen to it.

Some people talk about the hair on their neck standing up and others talk about watching signs.

I seem to have the ability to feel a buzzing or a feeling of dread at times. I have come to trust these warnings.
Old 03-02-2010, 08:30 PM
Prepared

"how will you know when to Bug out??"

I can tell you it's too late once the checkpoints are established. TT
Old 03-02-2010, 08:52 PM
I look good in tin foil

Thanks for the replies. I just wondered what some of you were thinking. I dont have a list either.. but have given some thought on looking for a certain chain of events to happen.. not sure what events tho. But...I am thinking we are going to have an economic crisis that will shut this country down for awhile. Its the food and water supply that worry me the most. And I have quite a bit stashed... but would prob just head out to my folks... who are in small town in countryside. My fear is not being able to get there because I waited too long and now no gas.. or way to get gas... or blocked roads.. 1) bailout of wallstreet and banks 2) unemployment on the rise and more jobs eliminated daily 3) ?????? 4) ?????? 5) TEOTWAWKI and stuck.... should have left when 3 happened. Just saying!!
Old 03-02-2010, 09:00 PM

I know you call it BOB for bug out bag I call it GODS or Get out of dodge soon, but anyway you usually leave when when your living space is unlivable or unsafe to live in is one, Looters are in the area, or the area your living in can't support life i.e. water and food or you ran out and can't find anymore goods by savaging yourself.
Old 03-02-2010, 09:04 PM
Hunter

Military vehicles patrolling your hood

Check points

You will know
Old 03-02-2010, 09:33 PM
Set Free

When the balloon goes up!
Old 03-02-2010, 09:56 PM
End of the Roader

Imho, if you don't bug out early, you might as well bug in as you'll not make it out otherwise. I'd imagine a lot of false "buggering outs" would be the rule... basically when you start getting nervous, get in the vehicle and go... listening to the radio and making determinations en route whether it's a false alarm and it's time to turn around or not.

Once you 'know' it's time....odds are quite a few grasshoppers will know it too, and then your stuck in an endless parking lot on all routes leaving town.

The Golden Horde of Houston 'knows' this rule... get out early or don't get out at all. After Hurricane Rita, people leave en masse at the first hint of hurricane trouble... even 'then', traffic gets slowed tremendously... but, better than getting stuck in the suburbs...

I'm bugging in... I do have bug out plans though... basically disabling all routes that lead into my area... to dispel the Golden Hordes elsewhere...
Old 03-02-2010, 10:08 PM

First of all, Congratulations. You actually have a PLAN. Follow your plan and your right decisions will follow!
Old 03-02-2010, 10:16 PM
Mad Trapper II

Thanked 1,111 Times in 491 Posts

I'll bug out when North America destabilizes. I'll have lots of time due to where I live.
Old 03-03-2010, 04:38 AM
Recent Blog:
Tuefel Hunden

THE TIME IS NOW....before it is to late, it is never to early but often way to late. When most of the stuff mentioned is happening your too late!
Old 03-03-2010, 04:46 AM
Prepared

not quite sure ..... but its gonna be tough leaving so many guns and ammo behind