Survivalist Forum

Advertise Here

Go Back   Survivalist Forum > Survival gear buy, sell, trade and reviews section > Reviews and questions
Articles Chat Room Classifieds Donations Gallery Groups Links Store Survival Files

Advertise Here

Old 03-02-2010, 03:14 PM

Default Soviet Gear

Advertise Here

as a patriot, "buying American" is pretty important to me... but in my experience, Soviet military gear will last you a lifetime.

a Russian Veshmeshok is an incredible "backpack"
Here is a picture, and it demonstrates how much it can carry, and how to carry it.
NOTE: this is not my work, a fellow airsofter put this page together for Operation Eastwind airsoft event.
http://www.operationeastwind.com/veshmeshok.html

the great thing about this pack, is that there are no zippers-- which tend to break when you need to hold stuff. Instead, the sack is kept closed by its own weight and the shoulder straps, pure genius if you ask me. You should be able to get these pretty cheap off e-bay, and I'm telling you, they will last
Old 03-02-2010, 03:20 PM
Hunter

Thanked 1,052 Times in 464 Posts

Soviet military gear will last you a lifetime.

i had a pair of soviet night vision goggles. they worked pretty well. i kept them in the case. i treated them well. one day i took them out of the case and they didn't work. they broke for no apparent reason i could see. i couldn't make them work anymore.

that is the extent of my experience with soviet made equipment.

*edit: i didn't mean for my response to disagree with you at all, like i said, i have only had one singular experience with anything soviet. i was just trying to pass on my extremely limited experience. please don't take my "negative" response as anything but my 2 cents. it does look like a pretty cool bag.
Old 03-02-2010, 04:09 PM

Not sure about that, when I meant gear it was more of a load-bearing type of thing... next time Ill make sure I specify. Simplicity is the key with this gear
Old 03-02-2010, 05:04 PM
Geriatric Gladiator

Thanked 1,289 Times in 374 Posts

I wouldn't rule out Soviet equipment, look how durable their AK-47 and variants are. I say keep an open mind and get what you can afford and what works for you.
Old 03-02-2010, 05:19 PM
I love this forum

Thanked 6,819 Times in 3,430 Posts

my motorcycle is a soviet military sidecar bike, made for consumer use.
it's solid, rugged and easy to work on.
i have also owned a couple of russian trucks that were little tanks.
Old 03-02-2010, 10:32 PM
Recent Blog:
Target Shooter

My Trench coat (that is in my BOB) is a cold war era soviet trench coat, it's extremely warm and high quality, it has an inner liner that can be removed, many pockets and is completely waterproof. The collar even protects from snow getting down the back of your neck.
Old 03-03-2010, 01:43 PM

A selection of Soviet/Russian packs/LBE here. Not sure of quality or how well the price/quality ratio is, but it seems like good stuff.

Edit: A little about the store : What are your delivery terms?
Your order will be shipped to you from Europe (Ukraine) via airmail immediately after payment is fully received and will be arriving within 10-14 business days to your destination. We will combine multiple items in the same order to ship together in one package when it is possible to reduce your shipping charges.

What is your return policy?If You are not satisfied with the product, we will exchange it or refund your money within 30 days of the delivery date. Customer satisfaction is important to us. If you have a problem or question regarding your transaction please contact us. We are always willing to work things out. We will always do what ever we can to make this a POSITIVE experience for both you and us.
Old 03-03-2010, 05:14 PM
Kibitzer

Thanked 3,286 Times in 2,021 Posts

I got a Soviet "jet pilot" canteen/mess kit off ebay.
The canteen is plastic and came with a cloth cover.
Here's a stock pic:

Old 03-03-2010, 06:41 PM
100% Full Battle Rattle

All of my Soviet gear has lasted years. Their cold weather gear is top notch.
Old 03-03-2010, 06:50 PM
Future Mad Scientist

Quote:
Originally Posted by punkwaffen View Post
All of my Soviet gear has lasted years. Their cold weather gear is top notch.
Haha, i had just finished reading,"Iron and Wold"(or some other book, i read allot) a few days ago and that reminded me of it. The character was making cold weather gear and when he went to make a hat he went with the russian style flappy hats(idk what theyre called) and said it was cuz when it came to the cold the russions know theyre stuff.
Old 03-03-2010, 07:02 PM
I love this forum

Thanked 6,819 Times in 3,430 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by fu3l View Post
Haha, i had just finished reading,"Iron and Wold"(or some other book, i read allot) a few days ago and that reminded me of it. The character was making cold weather gear and when he went to make a hat he went with the russian style flappy hats(idk what theyre called) and said it was cuz when it came to the cold the russions know theyre stuff.
yup...the russians and the canadians are the ones to refer to in cold weather gear.
canadian military surplus winter gear is also top notch.
Old 03-03-2010, 10:37 PM

I prefer the older soviet equipment compared to the newer russian stuff.

Like I said, I love the veshmeshok, canteens are good and very cheap, love some of the uniforms (especially the Sumrak, works perfect for MO), and the Grad-2 load bearer is absolutely incredible (just very expensive). I do airsoft with an org. in st. louis, and we all got really into soviet gear, so some of the guys have become quite the experts
Old 03-04-2010, 10:53 AM
100% Full Battle Rattle

Quote:
Originally Posted by fu3l View Post
It is very true haha. When I was homeless, my soviet cold weather jacket saved me. Along with my recent US GI cold weather pants.