Survivalist Forum

Advertise Here

Go Back   Survivalist Forum > Firearms and Other Weapons Forum > Military Weapons Forum
Articles Chat Room Classifieds Donations Gallery Groups Links Store Survival Files

Military Weapons Forum AR15, AK47, SKS, H&K, Galil, CETME, FN/FAL, Tanks, Ships, Jets, Helicopters....

Advertise Here

Old 03-05-2010, 10:17 PM

Advertise Here

I used to have an SKS Paratrooper with a black synthetic stock. It was my first patrol rifle (I only made 1700.00 a month) I wish I had that gun back. I always felt pretty well armed. If I had it back I would outfit it with the Norinco 20 round fixed magazine.
Old 03-06-2010, 02:33 AM
Hunter

I hate to rain on folks parades, but no one owns an AK-47, you have an AKS.
call a spade a garden tool.
Old 03-06-2010, 10:01 AM

Heres my .02 I own a SKS and an AR and have played with a fair share of AK's

Pro's
SKS- Affordable, abundant, ammo (heavy grain, abundant) lots of accessories easy operation just like any other semi auto. detachable mags and stripper clips

AR- Modular, easily change calibers, barrel length, optics, dependable magazines that are cheap and readily available.

AK- Reliable (throw it in the mud and shoot all day) more and more accessories and manufactures/importers every day. same round as sks so same pros there. against popular belief there not insanely inaccurate.

Im not going to get into cons I could say ar's are built to great standards but someone can say look at ______ lowers there junk. but the pro's listed above are commonly accepted.

now time for pictures

over all length on a 14.5 Ar and a norinco sks

standing up

now heres the BIGGEST advantage the AR has over the SKS (unfinished 18" spr upper)

just a couple pins and its on this could be done with different calibers 7.62x39, 6.5, 6.8, .223, 5.56, 5.54x39, 22lr and so on but a .308 needs a different lower

overall length with 18" barrel

heres a visual of the ammo

left to right
4x .223, .22lr, 9mm, .357mag, 22-250, 30-06, 4x 7.63x39

both the .223 and 7.62x39 is steel cased it is much cheaper but it is non reloadible and to me is not as reliable but for practice its great. but steel for steel and brass for brass the prices are nearly the same. but if you reload its much cheaper to buy brass and reload it.

now onto magazines if you want to carry stripper clips you can for both systems and you can load AR magazines with stripper clips. yes the SKS has the advantage to load them through the bolt. Here is a picture of 3 sks tapco mags arguably the best detachable magazine for the sks next to 4 AR usgi mags. the sks holds 20 each so 60 total and the usgi mags hold 30 each so 120 total thats twice as much ammo in the same size

But in the end its up to you the owner/user its your money its your time spent training its what you like and want. but hopefully you do your research and buy what suits you not what everyone is telling you to buy. if all you can afford is a ol worn down .22 well thats a lot better then a sling shot
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to gcw For This Useful Post:
Old 03-06-2010, 10:09 AM

I forgot to add that on my sks I did a grind job to the bolt so that the mags can be put in with the bolt forward and I did the agi trigger job. those to things really made it a lot more fun to shoot
Old 03-06-2010, 11:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by trouble View Post
Agreed, ,my dad recently asked me what kind of rifle to get because he's concerned about the state of the economy. I told him to get an SKS, about a week or so later I found him one the local range, like new Chinese unbubba'd for $149! He bought it on the spot and it is a shooter! It shoots just as well as my Chicom or my Russkie SKS. I used to be a gun snob and looked down my nose at the lowly SKS, until I got one in trade and spent a little time behind it. I've since become a big fan and while not my front line SHTF wep they do figure into my SHTF plans, if you practice on it, it'll serve you well. As for the 7.62x39, it's effective all out of proprtion to it's size and can double as a decent meat getter. You know elephants have been killed with 22LR's, does that make the 22LR an elephant round? Sorry but the 223 is a gopher gun, period. Yeah it'll kill you but so will a 22 short, it's how quick you drop that matters in a fight.
a rifle cause the economy is bad...yup not a mall ninja at all
Old 03-06-2010, 12:06 PM
Who Watches the Watchmen?

Thanked 4,994 Times in 2,941 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by gcw View Post
Heres my .02 I own a SKS and an AR and have played with a fair share of AK's

Pro's
SKS- Affordable, abundant, ammo (heavy grain, abundant) lots of accessories easy operation just like any other semi auto. detachable mags and stripper clips

AR- Modular, easily change calibers, barrel length, optics, dependable magazines that are cheap and readily available.

AK- Reliable (throw it in the mud and shoot all day) more and more accessories and manufactures/importers every day. same round as sks so same pros there. against popular belief there not insanely inaccurate.

Im not going to get into cons I could say ar's are built to great standards but someone can say look at ______ lowers there junk. but the pro's listed above are commonly accepted.

now time for pictures

over all length on a 14.5 Ar and a norinco sks

standing up

now heres the BIGGEST advantage the AR has over the SKS (unfinished 18" spr upper)

just a couple pins and its on this could be done with different calibers 7.62x39, 6.5, 6.8, .223, 5.56, 5.54x39, 22lr and so on but a .308 needs a different lower

overall length with 18" barrel

heres a visual of the ammo

left to right
4x .223, .22lr, 9mm, .357mag, 22-250, 30-06, 4x 7.63x39

both the .223 and 7.62x39 is steel cased it is much cheaper but it is non reloadible and to me is not as reliable but for practice its great. but steel for steel and brass for brass the prices are nearly the same. but if you reload its much cheaper to buy brass and reload it.

now onto magazines if you want to carry stripper clips you can for both systems and you can load AR magazines with stripper clips. yes the SKS has the advantage to load them through the bolt. Here is a picture of 3 sks tapco mags arguably the best detachable magazine for the sks next to 4 AR usgi mags. the sks holds 20 each so 60 total and the usgi mags hold 30 each so 120 total thats twice as much ammo in the same size

But in the end its up to you the owner/user its your money its your time spent training its what you like and want. but hopefully you do your research and buy what suits you not what everyone is telling you to buy. if all you can afford is a ol worn down .22 well thats a lot better then a sling shot
what is it like with the pistol grip? ive always wondered if that would improve my performance. nice pics

And wish the estate o' the world were now undone.
Ring the alarum-bell! Blow, wind! come, wrack!
At least we'll die with harness off our back.
Old 03-06-2010, 12:33 PM

I like shooting my sks with and without the pistol grip. the saw grip really gives a good grip but I love the tapco stock because of how well it works with the tapco mags. but in less then 5mins I can have the fixed 10rd mag, wood stock and plain receiver cover back on
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to gcw For This Useful Post:
Old 03-07-2010, 09:50 PM

thinking of getting an SKS, and was wondering, can you use stripper clips with a scope (such as a red dot)?
Old 03-07-2010, 10:37 PM
Hunter

Awards Showcase
Outstanding Thread 
Total Awards: 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by BDub793 View Post
thinking of getting an SKS, and was wondering, can you use stripper clips with a scope (such as a red dot)?
Yes! A Red Dot is a short scope and if you make sure to mount the front of the scope as far back in the dust cover mount as possable there should be room to use stripper clips. I can on with the short barrel 4x I have on mine. Suggest one practices some as it is a little different from non scope mounted.
The Following User Says Thank You to forrestdweller For This Useful Post:
Old 03-09-2010, 11:55 AM
Survivor

Thanked 2,805 Times in 1,753 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by BDub793 View Post
The exiting spent case can be thrown anywhere where the open bolt is. If a scope covers that area, it will be hit with empty cases.

Only 3 good SKS optics options are the scout mounts scope mount. This replaces the rear sight. A compact pistol scope or red dot can sit there. Choatte scope mount. Bolts to the side of the reciever and requires drilling. A short length 4" eye relief scope can be use. Full length scopes like the typical 3-9x40 will be hit with spent cases. They make a deflector, but that would interfer with stripper clips.

The other optics solution is a peep sight. Tech sights bolt on to the reciever cover latch pin area, but sometimes require rezeroing after cleaning. IF you clean with a boresnake, not a problem. The other peep sight option is the lyman 66 sight. I have this on a SKS and like it alot. However, those peep sights are on the fragile side and do not trust them for long term use. Williams make a peep sight that replaces the rear sight, but since it's far from your eye, the sight picture is small.

for close range quick work, just shoulder the gun and center the front sight hood on the target. Quick center of mass shooting.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to sailinghudson25 For This Useful Post:
Old 03-09-2010, 01:09 PM
Hunter

and every time you remove the dust cover, you get to re-zero your red dot.

This $50 mount that replaces the rear iron, works real nice.

If you use after market mags, you will lose the stripper clip reloading feature.

I bought and tested every type mag, and as you can see went back to the OEM. After wasting $300 in mags and mag kits
The Following User Says Thank You to LD 50/50 For This Useful Post:
Old 03-09-2010, 09:38 PM

Default Tech Sights

Hello,
New to the forum, and I thought I'd add .02 FRNs to the discussion. I've equipped both my Norinco and Yugo SKS's with Tech Sights. I have no interest in this company other than being a satisfied customer. With these sights and a good trigger job, the SKS is more than capable of 4 MOA groups as I've demonstrated repeatedly at Appleseed Shoots. You do have to modify the stock a bit, and as you can see in the photo, I botched mine up a bit, but it's perfectly serviceable. The sight returns to zero after removing the cover every time.

The Following User Says Thank You to Robbvious For This Useful Post:
Old 03-10-2010, 02:53 PM
Ron Swanson 2016

Thanked 26,025 Times in 13,617 Posts
Awards Showcase
Top Poster 

With a little work the SKS is a decent rifle.

Get rid of the short wood stock and a few other touch ups and it works well for the price.
Old 03-10-2010, 10:23 PM
Walking methane refinery

Thanked 94,509 Times in 31,277 Posts
Awards Showcase
Outstanding Member 

Quote:
Originally Posted by LD 50/50 View Post
and every time you remove the dust cover, you get to re-zero your red dot.

This $50 mount that replaces the rear iron, works real nice.
The dust cover mounts generally don't hold zero well either. The bolt carrier slams into it pretty hard and things are going to loosen up.

I've been using the Millett rear sight mount with a lot of success, though there are much better models out there now. Choate's side mount is probably the best solution of all, but it requires a little work to install. And count me among the happy Tech Sights users.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to MikeK For This Useful Post:
Old 03-11-2010, 05:19 PM

you can get stripper clips for AR magazines. So you can buy a few magazines and alot of stripper clips
Old 09-06-2012, 01:01 PM

Good thread. We should likely dispense with the hand-wringing about rising costs at this point in time. A decent SKS now costs $300, and as an aside a decent AK is now worth $600+. If you got one for less, be content. . . not bitter.
Old 09-06-2012, 01:14 PM
Hunter

over a two year old thread......
The Following User Says Thank You to kenny256 For This Useful Post:
Old 09-06-2012, 04:12 PM
Hunter

Mine is a Chinese SKS still in the COSMOLINE. MILLED receiver. Chrome bolt. Chrome lined barrel. Picked it up in 1992 for $89.

I need to clean it all up and get it ready.
Old 09-06-2012, 04:51 PM
Ham Technician

Thanked 4,019 Times in 1,356 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by kenny256 View Post
over a two year old thread......
Yes it is over 2 years old, but most all the post here still hold correct.
The whole reason I keep SKS's around is for hand out weapons (The same reason some keep Mosin Nagants around) should the SHTF. They are the cheapest semi auto battle rifle on the market (Dont' argue and say it is not a battle rifle).
IMHO with a new modern stock and a few other mods the SKS can be brought up to more modern standards, making the gun more comfortable for the shooter and more battle ready should the day come.
I myself am an AR-15 person, however I need something to hand out to the kin people and friends to help defend our turf if need be, I can't afford AR's for everyone, but SKS's I can.
I would rather have my family and friends with SKS's helping me defend our property than brooms and garden hoes.
I am buying what I can afford to, for them.
I have a feeling that most members here have just bought guns for themseleves, however should a group of thugs try to take your food and water and rape your wife, you better have help and not try and lone wolf it after the SHTF.
The Following User Says Thank You to Rockyriver For This Useful Post:
Old 09-06-2012, 08:39 PM
Hunter

Thanked 1,364 Times in 658 Posts

I have an SKS that's been a sweet rifle. I'm currently selling off most of my bolters and will probably pick up another SKS or two and devote more cash to ammo for them. I'm consolidating weapon types and getting rid of what doesn't work for my plans. Keeping the semi-auto rifles and pump shotties. Just about everything else is going out the door.