Survivalist Forum

Advertise Here

Go Back   Survivalist Forum > Survival & Preparedness Forum > Disaster Preparedness General Discussion
Articles Chat Room Classifieds Donations Gallery Groups Links Store Survival Files

Disaster Preparedness General Discussion Anything Disaster Preparedness or Survival Related

Advertise Here

Old 02-25-2010, 11:03 AM
Preparing for tomorrow

Default Wise, Mountain House or something else??

Advertise Here

I am new to the concept of amassing a year or more of food storage. We started with putting together three months of our most used foods. I am ready to move to the larger picture and would appreciate some advice.

Iíve looked around at my options and appreciate the simplicity and ease of at least 6 to 9 months of freeze dried and dehydrated foods. As I look at the companies that supply them, Mountain House, Wise, Alpine Aire, etc. The question comes upÖ Which brand is better tasting? Which has the best cost for large quantities? (ie. three month supply) Which has the best variety and so forth?

Who out there is using freeze dried as part of their storage and what are you doing? All thoughts would be appreciated.
Old 02-25-2010, 11:18 AM
On the lake

I get most of my food storage from Emergency Essentials. They have dehydrated, freeze-dried, Mountain House, etc. Lots of options. I like their powdered milk better than all the other brands I have tried.

We have some stuff stored for longer storage (mostly the freeze-dried) and rotate everything else. We use it in everyday cooking and our kids eat most of it. They like to get the cans and help cook. Now if we could get them to help clean up a little better...
The Following User Says Thank You to DocG For This Useful Post:
Old 02-25-2010, 11:37 AM
Hunter

Thanked 2,033 Times in 798 Posts

Watch for the 25% off with free shipping sales on Mountain House, every couple of months some vendor has the sale.
The Following User Says Thank You to ozarkeagle For This Useful Post:
Old 02-25-2010, 11:58 AM
Crisis Preparedness Pro

Thanked 1,363 Times in 382 Posts

We're a sponsor here at SurvivalistBoards. Check our Storage Food & prep category. There are a lot of different options--MH freeze dried, Honeyville dehydrated, Yoders and Werlings wet-pack meats, canned butter and cheese, green coffee beans, Grandmas Country milk, spices, soups, cereals, cakes, etc.

Tread carefully with Wise foods. We've considered carrying them, but for some reason they have a hard time being straight with people about what their foods are. Not a good sign. (They are vegetarian and they represent their foods as being enough to sustain a person to the tune of about 3 times what the calorie counts actually represent.)

Join our buyers club for the best prices--one time lifetime membership. Free shipping all the time.
Win Mountain House Food - Like Us on Facebook
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to JC Refuge For This Useful Post:
Old 02-25-2010, 01:06 PM
Preparing for tomorrow

Has anyone else tried or had experience with Wise Food?
Old 02-25-2010, 02:02 PM
Walking methane refinery

Thanked 97,360 Times in 31,909 Posts
Awards Showcase
Outstanding Member 
Total Awards: 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by neosurvivalist View Post
You can order a sampler pack for free. I wasn't impressed with their quality. Mountain House is much better. Also, before committing to freeze dried exclusively, research dehydrated also. I bought both when I first got started, but have settled on dehydrated almost exclusively since I eat it day in and day.
The Following User Says Thank You to MikeK For This Useful Post:
Old 02-25-2010, 02:07 PM
Hunter

Awards Showcase
Outstanding Thread 

Quote:
I am new to the concept of amassing a year or more of food storage. We started with putting together three months of our most used foods. I am ready to move to the larger picture and would appreciate some advice.

Iíve looked around at my options and appreciate the simplicity and ease of at least 6 to 9 months of freeze dried and dehydrated foods. As I look at the companies that supply them, Mountain House, Wise, Alpine Aire, etc. The question comes upÖ Which brand is better tasting? Which has the best cost for large quantities? (ie. three month supply) Which has the best variety and so forth?

Who out there is using freeze dried as part of their storage and what are you doing? All thoughts would be appreciated.
I would suggest buying some of each and taste testing. Honestly my taste preferences might be someone elses UCK!!!!
I purchase a couple of pouches of freeze dried every month and have accumulated a few months supply.
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to forrestdweller For This Useful Post:
Old 02-25-2010, 02:48 PM
Trapper

I've taste-tested the Mountain House stroganoff, and it's quite good. Can't say the same for the others I tried, tho.
The Following User Says Thank You to jane333 For This Useful Post:
Old 02-25-2010, 03:04 PM
Maximus

Thanked 13,711 Times in 6,123 Posts

One thing about having freeze dried preps is that, 10-15 years from now you may open a can and it may be spoiled and you will never know until you open the can. One time a customer at the local store here was returning a canister that he opened and was rotten. It was one of those 5 lb cans. Just something to keep in mind.
The Following User Says Thank You to vicdotcom For This Useful Post:
Old 02-25-2010, 03:38 PM
Free Mason

Also try the LDS (Mormon) Church Cannery. www.providentliving.org. They have grains, rice, milk, pasta and dried vegetables. The prices are good. You make an appointment and package the product in number 10 cans. You do not have to be a member of the Church. They required cash when I went so check when you make the reservation.
The Following User Says Thank You to homesteader1 For This Useful Post:
Old 02-25-2010, 04:12 PM
Preparing for tomorrow

Quote:
Originally Posted by homesteader1 View Post
Also try the LDS (Mormon) Church Cannery. www.providentliving.org. They have grains, rice, milk, pasta and dried vegetables. The prices are good. You make an appointment and package the product in number 10 cans. You do not have to be a member of the Church. They required cash when I went so check when you make the reservation.
The Mormons really have this down to a science and I appreciate their expertise. I wish they would have a rating chart for freeze dried or dehydrated food companies.
Old 02-25-2010, 04:19 PM
Recent Blog:
Wanderer

Thanked 2,615 Times in 1,372 Posts

We have tried the Mountain House, Ready Reserve, Provident Pantry, Honey Bee and other brands of freeze dried foods. Mountain House has them all beat in both variety and taste. That's not to say the others aren't good, though, they are. Just tha MH is better, degree depends on the specific food.
Get a sampler pack or kit from whatever brands you have available and try them. They usually sell their best or most popular stuff in the samplers, so you're getting, usually, the best they have. Bear that in mind when you get other stuff.
We prefer fd over dehydrated as it's lighter and has longer shelf life, generally. We also store lots of dried beans, rice, corn, etc. so our entire storage is not in fd. We like the variety of menus available and the "extender" effect fd give to our other storage foods. Also, some pudding or cake once in a while is a real morale boost in hard times.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to EdD270 For This Useful Post:
Old 02-25-2010, 04:22 PM

When I go backpacking, I will often purchase the Mountain House brand as it's my favorite. As a previous poster mentioned, it's important to try before you buy. For example, I've found that I do not like any of the dishes with rice. For some reason the rice is difficult to rehydrate and never really tastes quite right to me. The noodle dishes on the other hand are quite good.

The other thing to remember is that your local grocery store has lots of freeze dried food available for a lot less than the "backpacking" food brands like MH. For example, I'll often purchase freeze dried Idahoan mashed potatoes, or freeze dried noodles in the Asian food section. If you make purchases on sale, you can save a significant amount of money.
The Following User Says Thank You to HikerDude For This Useful Post:
Old 02-25-2010, 04:51 PM
Farmer

Thanked 22,035 Times in 8,969 Posts
Awards Showcase
Outstanding Helpful Post 

I have eaten a lot of freeze-dried food in the past.

I have played with making my own freeze-drying, but I keep ruining the gaskets on my chamber.

Overall, unless you make it yourself, freeze-dried food is expensive.

I feel that your much better off to stock-up on the foods you eat normally. Rotate your stock.

Unless you really 'love' beans and rice, do not buy massive amounts of beans and rice. Only stock the foods that you eat.

We freeze some, we dehydrate some, we salt-cure some, we pickle some, we can some, and we seal some stuff with desiccant too.

There are many ways to preserve food. Freeze-drying is only one method.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to ForestBeekeeper For This Useful Post:
Old 02-25-2010, 05:20 PM
Not On My Watch

Thanked 1,180 Times in 376 Posts

If you are wanting to try the Mountain house then try Walmart. I was there the other day and they had it in the Sporting Goods Department. I was shocked.
Each meal was about $7.00
Not bad if you just want to test it.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to kehoffmann1 For This Useful Post:
Old 02-25-2010, 05:22 PM
Maximus

Thanked 13,711 Times in 6,123 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by ForestBeekeeper View Post

I have played with making my own freeze-drying, but I keep ruining the gaskets on my chamber.

Overall, unless you make it yourself, freeze-dried food is expensive.
I have actually run across a few of these machines for sale. One was from a taxidermist that went out of business and one business that freeze dried flower arangements that went out of business.

They wanted about 3k for their freeze driers. I would have purchased it but I have to be honest and say I don't know how to run or repair one. So I passed them over. This was a few years ago. But they are out there for sale if people look around.
The Following User Says Thank You to vicdotcom For This Useful Post:
Old 02-25-2010, 05:34 PM
Hunter

Freeze dried food is the perfect choice for a bug out bag, but if you plan on Bugging in, then why spend the extra cash. You can cheaply buy canned goods, and dry goods which will make up almost your entire stockpile, and you can rotate it by eating it. I also like to dehydrate meat and fruits, which I only use on my hikes, bike trips, and kayak trips.
Almost all of the non refrigerated goods which you buy in the local grocery will last at least a year, so there are very few items you need to buy special or prepare to bug in.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Phoenixdadeadhead For This Useful Post:
Old 02-25-2010, 06:07 PM
Prepared

Quote:
Just got a beef stroganoff sample 2 weeks ago, the Wife & I were not impressed, it was ok but not that great. It wasn't anywhere near Mountain House quality. Your taste's may vary, definitely call them and get a sample before buying. Also with their package deals you get what you get , no substitutions.
The Following User Says Thank You to 7.5mas For This Useful Post:
Old 02-25-2010, 06:28 PM
Ron Swanson 2016

Thanked 26,581 Times in 13,899 Posts
Awards Showcase
Top Poster 

Quote:
I ordered a sample and catalog from Wise. I got the sample and a salesman who wanted to set me up for a 30 min on line sales pitch. I was supposed to log in at a certain time and then call him. Follow his pitch on line while he talked.

Never got a catalog

I didn't like the idea so never followed through.

Your results may vary.
The Following User Says Thank You to SgtBooker44 For This Useful Post:
Old 02-25-2010, 07:51 PM
Walking methane refinery

Thanked 97,360 Times in 31,909 Posts
Awards Showcase
Outstanding Member 

Quote:
Originally Posted by vicdotcom View Post
One thing about having freeze dried preps is that, 10-15 years from now you may open a can and it may be spoiled and you will never know until you open the can. One time a customer at the local store here was returning a canister that he opened and was rotten. It was one of those 5 lb cans. Just something to keep in mind.
That's one of the big reasons to store what you eat and eat what you store. It assures freshness. It also means you don't have to adapt to new foods during a time of stress. That can be disastrous. It's also very cost effective. I store and eat dehydrated foods (along with garden produce) and it works out cheaper per serving than canned and dried food from the store.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to MikeK For This Useful Post: