Survivalist Forum

Advertise Here

Go Back   Survivalist Forum > Survival & Preparedness Forum > Disaster Preparedness General Discussion
Articles Chat Room Classifieds Donations Gallery Groups Links Store Survival Files

Disaster Preparedness General Discussion Anything Disaster Preparedness or Survival Related

Advertise Here

Old 02-24-2010, 10:37 AM

Default Likelihood of gun confiscation during martial law

Advertise Here

Just wanted to hear some of you thoughts on the possibility of gun confiscation if/but more likely when martial law is declared for any number of reasons ["Terrorist" attack, economic collapse, etc]
The Following User Says Thank You to shamgar57 For This Useful Post:
Old 02-24-2010, 10:40 AM
I love this forum

Thanked 25,009 Times in 7,888 Posts
Awards Showcase
Outstanding Thread 
Total Awards: 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by shamgar57 View Post
Just wanted to hear some of you thoughts on the possibility of gun confiscation if/but more likely when martial law is declared for any number of reasons ["Terrorist" attack, economic collapse, etc]
No way. This has never happened in the past and cannot happen in the future.

Old 02-24-2010, 10:47 AM
May *** help us all.

Fortunately, some 20 states or so have specific laws on the books forbidding this practice (call it the Katrina law). Unfortunately, Colorado isn't one of them.

In a nutshell, I think this is VERY likely, especially given how some state leadership politicians have a deep-rooted fear of guns. Scary stuff.
The Following User Says Thank You to bob_loblaw For This Useful Post:
Old 02-24-2010, 10:50 AM
May *** help us all.

Good article about this: http://www.nraila.org/Issues/FactShe...ad.aspx?id=191
The Following User Says Thank You to bob_loblaw For This Useful Post:
Old 02-24-2010, 11:18 AM
Survivor

I think it's pretty likely the way things are going. That said, good luck enforcing it. Especially considering how preoccupied law enforcement will be with other aspects in a disaster/martial law scenario. I think that the Katrina precedence came from property owners actively defending and inadvertently engaging authorities and from a fringe group shooting at helicopters etc. Anyway, I certainly hope we don't go down that road.

It's worse here in Canada since everything is severely registered and tracked.

Here is an interesting article from the Toronto Star (which you may have seen): The cops came and took my gun
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to iamregan For This Useful Post:
Old 02-24-2010, 11:29 AM
Forum Administrator

Thanked 31,716 Times in 6,699 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by shamgar57 View Post
If your worried about that, maybe you need to vote a little different in the next elections? Or at the very least, help get some pro-gun people in office.

After the fiasco that happened in new orleans, a lot of states passed laws forbidding the confiscation of firearms. I think Texas was one of the states that passed such a law.

If nothing else, approach your city council and ask them to pass a resolution that would prohibit gun confiscations. If they refuse, then you know who to vote out of office.

If you have a question about the forum, please post it in this section.
General questions sent through private messages will be ignored.
Old 02-24-2010, 11:33 AM
Hunter

Quote:
Originally Posted by bob_loblaw View Post
Fortunately, some 20 states or so have specific laws on the books forbidding this practice (call it the Katrina law). Unfortunately, Colorado isn't one of them.

In a nutshell, I think this is VERY likely, especially given how some state leadership politicians have a deep-rooted fear of guns. Scary stuff.
Does state law supercede Federal mandate, under FEDERAL martial law?? just wondering how it works in the US!! Its great if you live in a state that has these laws, but if the FED can just come and decide "no, too bad" that kinda sucks.

Up here in canada, if martial law was declared, in a SHTF event, I'm sure we would loose our guns. we dont have the equivalent of a constitutional guarantee to bear arms. Or maybe not, we actually have a higher gun ownership per capita than you guys, so it might be tough to enforce here.
Old 02-24-2010, 11:34 AM
Walking methane refinery

Thanked 94,134 Times in 31,186 Posts
Awards Showcase
Outstanding Member 

Quote:

I think in those states, it's a lot less likely than before. Sure, they can disobey the law and confiscate anyway, but the problem this time is that the populace knows they're disobeying the law. They're far more likely to resist. I wish the other states would come around and pass similar laws.
The Following User Says Thank You to MikeK For This Useful Post:
Old 02-24-2010, 11:40 AM
Hunter

Quote:
Originally Posted by iamregan View Post
I think it's pretty likely the way things are going. That said, good luck enforcing it. Especially considering how preoccupied law enforcement will be with other aspects in a disaster/martial law scenario. I think that the Katrina precedence came from property owners actively defending and inadvertently engaging authorities and from a fringe group shooting at helicopters etc. Anyway, I certainly hope we don't go down that road.

It's worse here in Canada since everything is severely registered and tracked.

Here is an interesting article from the Toronto Star (which you may have seen): The cops came and took my gun

YUP ohh CANADA!!! The place where only CRMINALS have Guns.
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Ronin420 For This Useful Post:
Old 02-24-2010, 11:42 AM
Misfit Toy

Thanked 2,371 Times in 1,036 Posts

Well if it comes down to martial law, even your food or water could be confiscated if they actually wanted. Legally? Perhaps not; but anyone with any knowledge or experience of LE or military in this type of situation should understand there are rogue groups or units of people who will abuse their powers.

This occurs in every conflict...

Like your food preps or anything else, be prepared to hide them in a secure local.
The Following User Says Thank You to Raven For This Useful Post:
Old 02-24-2010, 11:46 AM
Hiker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ronin420 View Post
Does state law supercede Federal mandate, under FEDERAL martial law??
There are some posts on here that detail that the Federal government can not constitutionally declare martial law. The constitution allows no provision for the suspension of of rights and enumerates no power to the government to declare suspension of any rights.

Bottom line, if martial law is declared, both the declarer and enforcer are acting outside of constitutional authority, what makes you think a petty law will stop them? The only thing that will stop them is the whole of the armed population to stand up and say 'no' That's why the 2nd amendment is so important.

Unfortunately as we saw in Katrina, the mayor acted outside his authority to confiscate weapons, the police/national guard carried out unlawful orders, the few people who attempted to resist were arrested and thier homes ransacked anyway. It didn't end until the NRA stepped in. Had the whole populace of N.O. stood up and said 'no' together, then maybe things would have been different.
The Following User Says Thank You to technojunkie For This Useful Post:
Old 02-24-2010, 11:49 AM
Crumbs DM

Quote:
Originally Posted by technojunkie View Post
Unfortunately as we saw in Katrina, the mayor acted outside his authority to confiscate weapons, the police/national guard carried out unlawful orders, the few people who attempted to resist were arrested and thier homes ransacked anyway. It didn't end until the NRA stepped in. Had the whole populace of N.O. stood up and said 'no' together, then maybe things would have been different.
The problem is that the vast majority of folks in this great nation can't even agree on the color of ****e let alone on reinforcing their own constitutional rights.

Frankly if TSHTF tomorrow and the Fed declared martial law .... I can see mass collections of weapons without so much of a whimper ....
Old 02-24-2010, 11:59 AM
Hunter

Thanked 1,657 Times in 669 Posts
Awards Showcase
Outstanding Thread 

Quote:

You wouldn't happen to have a list of those 20 states would you?
The Following User Says Thank You to ChrisInGa For This Useful Post:
Old 02-24-2010, 12:06 PM
Head for the Hills!

The possiblility of confiscation is a prime cause for having a "dummy" stash and a "good" cache.
The Following 8 Users Say Thank You to SteelGlide For This Useful Post:
Old 02-24-2010, 12:10 PM
DEFCON 4

Thanked 6,987 Times in 2,986 Posts

Never happen!!!
The Following User Says Thank You to sniperfx For This Useful Post:
Old 02-24-2010, 12:11 PM
He is risen

Thanked 2,562 Times in 934 Posts

I don't have any guns .... I sold 'em all to Frank ..... or was that Fred ? I really can't remember , its been so long ago . So sorry , no guns here ...
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Thunder For This Useful Post:
Old 02-24-2010, 12:28 PM
Hunter

Thanked 1,564 Times in 637 Posts

I think it would depend on your location more tha anything else, city folk, probably. Country folks, doubtful, all the more reason to move out of the city.
The Following User Says Thank You to trouble For This Useful Post:
Old 02-24-2010, 12:39 PM
Target Shooter

Quote:
Originally Posted by technojunkie View Post
There are some posts on here that detail that the Federal government can not constitutionally declare martial law. The constitution allows no provision for the suspension of of rights and enumerates no power to the government to declare suspension of any rights.
Didn't Lincoln do just this sort of thing?

While the National Guard did confiscate guns they only did it in a small section of New Orleans. And New Orleans isn't that big a city. I can't see any way, logistically, that they can do that to all cities at them same time or even one major city completely. And they'd have to do it without the word getting out which was fairly easy in NO because they didn't have electricity for TVs or radios.
Old 02-24-2010, 12:58 PM
Living YOUR dreams!

The news and communication aspect of SHTF has always been paramount in my mind.
As a well rounded prepper, I just don't understand why people ALWAYS overlook the simplicity & battery-free aspect of crystal radios for news.
Even a kid can build one, they are cheap to build and maintenance free.
http://www.areyougame.com/interact/i...itemno=PS02012
There are many sources of these kits on the web, as well as plans for making them from junk in your garage & toolboxes.
Old 02-24-2010, 01:02 PM
OPSEC

I don't see this happening in Utah, but if you live in Chicago, NY, L.A., etc. it has a pretty good shot of occurring on some scale.