Survivalist Forum

Advertise Here

Go Back   Survivalist Forum > Firearms and Other Weapons Forum > Primitive Weapons, Bows and Crossbows
Articles Chat Room Classifieds Donations Gallery Groups Links Store Survival Files

Advertise Here

Old 02-23-2010, 03:01 PM

Default How Do I fix this slingshot?

Advertise Here

Hey guys, Ive had this slingshot for quite some time. Its a crossman wrist rocket style, I like it a lot, but the tubes always break after a short time of using them. It is also nearly impossible to get new tubes to stay on the slingshot. What would you all recommend that I do.

Its like this one:
Old 02-23-2010, 03:33 PM
Spooky

Thanked 1,427 Times in 644 Posts

I have an old wrist rocket that had vinyl nubs on the ends that that tubing slid over. The vinyl kept the latex tubing off the metal so it wouldn't abraid. I assume your slingshot has a similar arrangement. After 30 years the vinyl broke down and I had to improvise to cover those metal ends.

I found that shorter pieces of tubing had a shorter life as well. Longer tubing lasted longer and also gave a greater specific impulse (if you're into rocketry).

Also, when putting new tubing on what are you using to lubricate them? Make sure you use alcohol (I use rubbing alcohol). It's slippery but evaporates after a while and leaves no residue. If you lubricate with anything else the tubes will slip off when you pull.

BTW, I'm having a heck of a time finding latex surgical tubing in a store for my slingshot. Where'd you get yours?
Old 02-23-2010, 03:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by stevegee58 View Post
I have an old wrist rocket that had vinyl nubs on the ends that that tubing slid over. The vinyl kept the latex tubing off the metal so it wouldn't abraid. I assume your slingshot has a similar arrangement. After 30 years the vinyl broke down and I had to improvise to cover those metal ends.

I found that shorter pieces of tubing had a shorter life as well. Longer tubing lasted longer and also gave a greater specific impulse (if you're into rocketry).

Also, when putting new tubing on what are you using to lubricate them? Make sure you use alcohol (I use rubbing alcohol). It's slippery but evaporates after a while and leaves no residue. If you lubricate with anything else the tubes will slip off when you pull.

BTW, I'm having a heck of a time finding latex surgical tubing in a store for my slingshot. Where'd you get yours?
I used soap and water to get the tubes on. I forgot to mention that the little nubs came off as well

I used to buy the replacement tubes from crossman, but they would break after sitting for a season.
I remember getting surgical tubing at GI Joes, but so much for that idea now...
Old 02-23-2010, 03:55 PM
Spooky

Well then, without the nubs the metal ends will abrade the tubes inside and the soap stays in the tubing and will continue to lubricate the tubes forever so they'll always slide off.

Get some vinyl dip for putting new grips on pliers. I've seen it cans somewhere, maybe a hardware store. Dip the metal ends in this stuff and let it dry.

The last time I was able to lay hands on some latex surgical tubing was when my dad had some physical therapy. He was given like 8 feet of if off a roll for some kind of tension exercises. I'm all out now though.

That'll be $10 please.
Old 02-23-2010, 04:20 PM

I have seen some of that dip stuff, I cant remember what it was called, but it was pretty cool. How long did the surgical tubing last for you? I want something that will be able to sit in my closet for a couple months and not crack or go bad.
Old 02-24-2010, 02:39 AM
Target Shooter

I recommend using flat bands. Way faster, more energy at the same draw weight. You can simply attach them by putting the end of the bands around the fork tip and then tightly winding a thin strip of the same rubber around the setup. Very solid.

Check the method out in this video (towards the end, 5:00):

Old 02-24-2010, 02:44 AM
Bleach blonde on fire :p

Thanked 9,452 Times in 3,793 Posts

I have the red bands (with the magnetic pouch in the middle) for my wrist rocket, got them at Wally world. They have lasted 3 years and are used almost daily by my son. They are a more heavy duty band.

They look like this http://www.airgunwarehouseinc.com/py-a-497.html
The Following User Says Thank You to rncmomx2 For This Useful Post:
Old 02-24-2010, 03:56 AM
ready for it!

I have the black bands...found then at Mclendans...of course i bought all they had. i have also made a sling bow out of one of my wrist rockets.

If you haven't made one check it out on you tube. I love mine.

M2C
Old 02-24-2010, 03:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoergS View Post
I recommend using flat bands. Way faster, more energy at the same draw weight. You can simply attach them by putting the end of the bands around the fork tip and then tightly winding a thin strip of the same rubber around the setup. Very solid.

Check the method out in this video (towards the end, 5:00):

YouTube- How to make a "W" slingshot with common tools, at home
Is that like the surgical tubing? Is there anywhere to get that kind of band locally, or is it just over the internet.

Thank you all for the help,
Rob
Old 02-24-2010, 03:36 PM
Spooky

Looks like JoergS makes his own bands from sheet rubber. That'd be ideal really although I don't recall seeing sheet rubber for sale anywhere.
Old 02-25-2010, 06:30 AM
Target Shooter

Just go to a store that sells therapeutical stuff. The Thera Band I use is meant for workouts, gymnastics and rehabilitation. If such a store does not have it in stock, they should be able to order it for you.

It is worth the efforts. Not only will you save quite a bit of money, but also the bands made from Thera Band will outperform all of the prefabricated slingshot bands.
Old 02-25-2010, 09:29 AM
Opinionated old fart.

Thanked 6,988 Times in 3,332 Posts

http://www.plastidip.com/
Old 02-25-2010, 10:03 AM
Hunter

Thanked 1,124 Times in 502 Posts

the best sling rubbers are the tapered tubing.you get higher velocities.
dive shops usually have rubber tubing
The Following User Says Thank You to vegasrandall For This Useful Post:
Old 02-25-2010, 10:22 AM
Hiker

I get surgical tubing from dive shops. I use it to make grenades for paintball.
The Following User Says Thank You to technojunkie For This Useful Post:
Old 02-25-2010, 11:04 AM
Spooky

Thanks guys for the dive shop suggestion. There's a dive shop near me but since I'm not a diver I've never been in one.
Old 02-26-2010, 11:25 PM
Target Shooter

Quote:
Originally Posted by vegasrandall View Post
the best sling rubbers are the tapered tubing.you get higher velocities.
I respectfully disagree. Tapered tubing is better than non-tapered tubing, but thin, wide, tapered flat bands outperform tubes by a great deal. I have tested this extensively, and my opinion got confirmed by the experts on five slingshot forums, unanimously.

A well made flat rubber band set will at least deliver 30% higher velocities, at the same or even lower draw resitance. This has a major impact on the energy of the projectile, as the formula is

E = m/2 * v * v
Old 02-27-2010, 01:57 PM
survivalist

Thanked 2,921 Times in 989 Posts

Home Depot carries surgical tubing in their plumbing dept. It is not as high strength / thickness as some already noted , but the last I bought was fairly cheap.I have had good luck using super glue to lubricate / hold tubing on.
Old 03-01-2010, 09:32 AM
Master of the obvious

Thanked 1,283 Times in 441 Posts

Cabellas and Cheaperthandirt have slinghot replacement bands.Store them with a thin coating of baby powder on them and they should last more than one season I use dollar store marbles to practice
Old 03-02-2010, 07:01 PM
strikes to the left

Thanked 1,583 Times in 663 Posts

Marksman replacement bands usually come with the rubber tips. If this is not desired and you want to go with one that doesn't have the tips, you could always use electrical tape. As far as lubrication for the band, use rubbing alcohol. Lube the metal, slide on the tube, and let it dry.

Now, it should be noted that no one knows slingshots better than JoergS. He is the know-all when it comes to slingshots. I'd recommend to take his advise. As far as my personal experience with his advise, I've also replaced my tubing bands with the flat bands and the power increase is noticeable, meaning that I would personally never use tubing bands again. Besides, they're cheap and easy enough to make and install.
The Following User Says Thank You to Hubb For This Useful Post:
Old 03-03-2010, 03:22 AM
Recent Blog:
Tuefel Hunden

Lightbulb works like a charm!

Quote:
Originally Posted by stevegee58 View Post

They sell the good blue rubber tubes here in kits for 1.99, also vinyl vaccum caps from the auto parts store are almost exact copies of the old caps over the metal ends and KY is a great lube and drys with out wrecking the new tubes!