Survivalist Forum

Advertise Here

Go Back   Survivalist Forum > Firearms and Other Weapons Forum > Firearms General Discussion > Rifle Forum
Articles Chat Room Classifieds Donations Gallery Groups Links Store Survival Files

Advertise Here

Old 02-15-2010, 10:28 AM

Default Marlin 795 .22LR Rifle First-Look Review

Advertise Here

I just picked up my very first firearm this weekend and after months of reading, researching and contemplation, I chose the Marlin 795 .22LR Semi-Automatic Rifle.

Whatís inside the box?
-Ownerís Manual w/ 5 year warranty
-NRA Application
-Marlin 795 .22LR Rimfire Semi-Automatic Rifle
-Firearm Shot Lock

The reasons why I chose this rifle are:

-A .22LR rifle is a great rifle to learn on as it is not overpowering or intimidating
-In the state of Connecticut the largest caliber rifle allowed on public state land to hunt on is a .22LR
-Cost is an issue since I did not want to shell out 300+ dollars for a first rifle
-.22LR ammo can be purchased for 15+ dollars for a box of 500 (A big plus for lots of practice)
-Marlin is made in USA (Connecticut) and has an amazing reputation for quality & price
-By no means I am looking for a 100+ yard range rifle. It is unnecessary and I probably couldnít even spot a squirrel in the brush farther than 50 yards

Models considered before purchase:
-Marlin Model 60: Known as the twin of the 795 besides the tubular magazine vs clip fed magazine. I didnít like the fact that I had to feed ammo through an attached tube since having multiple magazines would be simpler in my eyes.
-Savage MK II: At first I wanted a bolt action rifle which I always admired the look and feel but didnít want to shell out 240+ dollars for the Savage MK II. I factored in the advantage of the accutrigger but it simply wasnít worth the cost of what I was looking for.
-Ruger 10/22: Iíve heard countless things (Good and Bad) about the Ruger 10/22. It is basically the most modifiable rifle on the market. I wanted an accurate out of the box rifle that was inexpensive yet reliable. This was not it. I didnít want to spend 270 on a rifle only to put 300 additional dollars in order to shoot like a Marlin. Simply out of the question but for people with the cash to throw itíd be fun.
-Marlin 795: What can I say?? Price: $127.19 out the door not including the $25 Rebate = 102 dollars for an out of the box accurate/reliable/inexpensive rifle. Positive reviews w/support, you canít beat it. Synthetic stock is what I prefer since I wonít feel bad if it is roughed up.

In search of my rifle:
First off, I went into a local used gun store where they had a large selection of .22lr rifles so I thought Iíd write down all the model numbers I liked and do some homework. After comparing prices and doing some research of each of the rifles considered, I looked around and with some luck found that Cabelaís had a sale for $30 off of Marlin semi-auto rifles. So I went to Cabelaís and took a number. I made sure I held all of the rifles I considered to make sure I bought what I felt comfortable with and was happy with. I asked all the questions I could think of at the time and then went home to do some more homework and make a decision. I didnít want to rush anything because Iíve heard of some people having their rifles for 20+ years! Went to Cabelaís and fourteen days later Iím a Marlin Owner.

Okay, now onto the actual rifle:

Out of the box, the first thing you notice is that the Marlin had a very good weight on it. Weighing in under 5 lbs It doesnít feel too light where it would move at the slightest wind gust while aiming down the sights but not too heavy where it would be tiresome to carry around all day. At a little over 3 feet tall it features an 18Ē Micro-Groove barrel from what I read is the source of Marlinís accuracy.

The feel of the synthetic stock gives a firm grip where it is textured so the rifle does not slip out of sweaty hands during carry but the downside to the stock is the width since I have large enough hands to almost palm a basketball I feel like itís a personal problem. Laminates are known to warp. Wood is tried and true but I personally like black. The trigger guard is made out of a solid firm plastic which includes a push button safety. Simple and it works.

In front of the trigger guard lays both the open-close bolt switch and the magazine release button. Included in the box is your 10 capacity nickel plated magazine which sticks out from the bottom of the rifle.

The bolt close and open switch feels somewhat thin gauge metal pedal but sturdy at the same time, I know itís a contradiction but I think function always trumps bells and whistles. The bolt handle on the Marlin is a bit too small for my liking which is about the width of a normal ballpoint pen but doesnít bother me too much since the bolt isnít difficult to pull back in order to keep open. Another safety feature is Marlinís automatic last shot bolt hold open lets you know when the magazine is finished and there are no more bullets to be fired. Above the bolt is the standard 3/8Ē dovetail receiver able to mount a scope.

The butt stock is simply a no frills piece of rubber to put it simply. Textured with the same checkering as the grips on the rifle it offers little to no padding but then again this is a .22lr rifle. You donít need padding. Itís still comfortable enough to put through your shoulder but at no means is your shoulder going to be sore. The sights that come with the Marlin 795 are an adjustable open rear sight and a traditional ramp front sight.

I wanted to give a straight forward review of the Marlin 795 and although I might sound critical I chose this rifle as my first rifle for plenty of good reasons. Obviously the good outweighs the bad but for a 100 dollar rifle, nobody should complain. I couldnít be happier with my purchase. For the money, everyone should have this inexpensive plinking/hunting rifle. On a side note itís a completely personal review and should be taken as such. Some rifles fit others differently so I recommend you do your homework. Time will tell what this rifle can do.
Attached Thumbnails
Marlin 1.jpg   Marlin2.jpg   Marlin3.jpg   Marlin4.jpg   Marlin5.jpg   Marlin6.jpg  

Marlin7.jpg   Marlin8.jpg   Marlin9.jpg   Marlin10.jpg   Marlin11.jpg   Marlin12.jpg  

Marlin13.jpg  
Old 02-15-2010, 02:50 PM

yes great gun, great value.
Old 02-15-2010, 02:53 PM
Governmentally Challenged

I agree - I picked up one of these for plinking around, small game. Good shooting gun, no problems..

Congratulations.. I can tell you are proud of it!
Old 02-15-2010, 02:56 PM
In a pile of brass

Thanked 1,551 Times in 824 Posts

watch the magazines.

from the marlins i shot with the nickel mags, bolt action and semi auto, its easy to get the magazine in wrong so it wont feed/jams.

on the .17 HMR marlin bolt action with the nickel mag's i had to hold my hand on the bottom of the mag, pushing up to make sure it would feed right.
Old 02-15-2010, 03:41 PM

I also bought a Marlin 795 last december for most of the same reasons....my first gun. Unfortunately, I have not had a chance to get out and shoot it yet. The midwest weather has not been very cooperative and most of the outdoor ranges have been closed.

I have also bought a brick of golden bullets and 300 mini mags. Next up...a sling.
Old 02-15-2010, 08:36 PM

I think you are going to be pleasantly surprised. I have an old Model 70 from the 80's(just about the same) and it's very accurate. If you're not planning on adding a scope, look into a Tech Sites.
http://www.tech-sights.com/
Old 02-15-2010, 08:53 PM
Survivor

Thanked 8,288 Times in 3,183 Posts

Congrats!
It is indeed a good reliable firearm, and a helluva lot of fun to shoot.
I'd second getting a small scope for it.
Old 02-15-2010, 08:54 PM
Survivor

Thanked 8,288 Times in 3,183 Posts

Ooops double post

Last edited by METALHEAD1; 02-15-2010 at 08:56 PM.. Reason: ****up
The Following User Says Thank You to METALHEAD1 For This Useful Post:
Old 02-15-2010, 08:59 PM

Great review!! I had picked up the Mossberg clone (702 Pinkster) on a whim one day and I wish I had paid the extra $20 for the Marlin. I've got a Marlin 336 .30-30 and love it! Marlin makes a quality product at a great price!

Again, great review and thank you!
Old 11-19-2010, 03:24 AM
Recent Blog:
[CaRP] Failed to open file: NA

I had a 336 30-30 and it was a great rifle. I wish I still had it, I sold it when I was younger because I needed the money. It was one that I regret selling. I have heard good things about this rifle I'm sure you have a winner there, be safe and have fun.
Old 11-19-2010, 08:43 AM

good choice for a first time rifle purchase. and you went through an intelligent decision process in choosing which brand model fit you the best. comments:

1) it should have been the savage 64, not the savage mark 2 you should have considered. the 64 is like the 795's counterpart for savage arms. same price range. the mark 2 compares with the marlin 925...

2) i like how you filtered out the 10/22. you want to play with .22's or do you want to shoot seriously...i came to the same assessment; they have a vibe that just doesn't work with me.

3) don't forget about the $25 marlin rebate! if i could find the 795 for sale new where i live i'd buy one because of the rebate. only the savage 64 is available at a good discounted price...
Old 11-19-2010, 04:19 PM
Survivor

Thanked 3,755 Times in 1,314 Posts

I bought a 795 a few weeks ago . I've been to the range twice . The gun works well with the right ammo - CCI minimags or Remington high velocity . I could shoot good groups BUT had to use kentucky windage to hit the bullseye . The rear sights are crap . I'm very disapointed that Marlin would put such crappy , out of wack sights on their gun . I don't like scopes and don't like the idea of spending $75 on tech sights for a $100 gun .
The only reason I chose the 795 over the 10/22 is because of the price . I wish I spent the extra $100 and got the 10/22 . I might take the loss and sell the 795 and get the 10/22 .
Old 11-19-2010, 04:27 PM
I love this forum

Thanked 7,285 Times in 3,149 Posts

the 795 ive shot, the mag springs take about 400 pounds of force to push rounds in. otherwise nice.
Old 11-19-2010, 04:33 PM

Congrats on your purchase; I love my Marlin
Old 11-19-2010, 04:42 PM
Fugitive Recovery Agent

I just bought this same Marlin 795 for my future son in law because I am tired of him bowing one of my 22. I own a firearm training school and we have lots of 22 rifles (Marlins and others)

I picked this model Marlin because of Marlins being American made. The cost of the Marlin. I paid 127.00 out the door at D*cks sporting goods, but mine included a scope. A small 15.00 - 22 scope. I also get the 25.00 rebate so for 102.00 this Marlin is hard to beat.

Don't sell these Marlins short. We target shoot 100 yrd's every day with them.
Old 12-25-2010, 08:10 AM

I just bought a 795 yesterday, and ran a couple hundred rounds through it. Personally, I love the weight and feel of the gun. So light and easy to maneuver. I also own a Ruger 10/22 with a tri-mag and a 40 mm scope, and it's a great firearm altogether, too.

However, I am a bit worried. When we ran the first 100 rounds through the 795, we had several FTEs, and even a couple FTFs. I wonder if it was the Federal bulk ammo, or not cleaning the gun thoroughly before first firing. The 10/22 did not require cleaning before firing, and that thing is reliable as all hell.

Cabelas dudes did tell me I should clean the 795 before shooting, but we were going right after I bought it, so they suggested at least running a dry patch through the barrel (I did that).

We're gonna get out there again in our wonderful AZ winter weather again this Sunday, and I'm gonna run several hundred more through it after I cleaned the heck out of it today, and see how she performs this time. I imagine it'll go waaay better.
Old 12-25-2010, 05:10 PM

I bought a 795 early this year. I too did a lot of research. I liked the way the ruger felt in the hand.... it has a wider forearm and more weight.... but that was all I liked (other than the Ruger name also). After more thinking, I decided on the Marlin. Light weight, low cost, made in the USA, and it's a great shooter out of the box. I didnt want to be tinkering. Also, the lack of many aftermarket parts keeps me from spending more money on the rifle.
So my girlfriend liked too.... so we went and got another for and a new Nikon scope for mine. Adding the scope just confirmed how accurate these are out of the box.
Stay away from the remington ammo..... very dirty. I use The Federal 550 rnd. boxes with virtually no FTE's or FTF's.
The Marlin 795 is a great rifle for a beginer. I still love mine, but lately I have come to fancy old wooden stock 22's.

Jesse
Old 12-29-2010, 04:22 PM
Recent Blog:
Fire/EMS

I've got one too. I just got my 2 new 7 round magazines for it as well. Its a good rifle.
Old 12-29-2010, 07:32 PM
Survivor

Thanked 4,669 Times in 2,180 Posts

Very nice gun reveiw!!!

Thanks for taking the time and effort to put together such a reveiw project. Too bad we dont have something like this for all the guns out there that we have and use, it would make for a great data base for others to use and base their choices on.
Old 12-29-2010, 07:38 PM
the righteous warrior

got one, and it's a great LIGHT weight rifle, simple, reliable and some say it's a tack driver.

best value 22lr semi out there ... imho
The Following User Says Thank You to mr survivor For This Useful Post: