Survivalist Forum

Advertise Here

Go Back   Survivalist Forum > Firearms and Other Weapons Forum > Primitive Weapons, Bows and Crossbows
Articles Chat Room Classifieds Donations Gallery Groups Links Store Survival Files

Advertise Here

Old 02-07-2010, 12:02 PM

Default Pistol Crossbow

Advertise Here

I have the instruction to make is pistol crossbow but it's awfully involved, particularly when pistol crossbows are inexpensive in the United States.

Here in Canada pistol crossbows are illegal to own but having said that, I was looking at this replica.

How would this have to be altered to make it a working crossbow?
The Following User Says Thank You to Fieryice For This Useful Post:
Old 02-09-2010, 12:58 AM

I would be interested in seeing a copy of the instructions you have if you don't mind revealing your source. Also I don't have any experience with this but I hear almost every pistol crossbow you can buy is total crap, maybe that's the motivation to build your own.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Loggo557 For This Useful Post:
Old 02-09-2010, 08:06 AM
Closed.

Thanked 26,116 Times in 10,995 Posts

2nd that I'd be interested in seeing them too, just because they're inexpensive and easily available now doesn't mean it will always be so
Old 02-09-2010, 05:49 PM
survivalist

Thanked 2,788 Times in 957 Posts

That same article on a pistol crossbow was from a 1960 era issue of Science & mechanics magazine and was reprinted in the may/june 2009 issue of the Backwoodsman magazine
The Following User Says Thank You to blade For This Useful Post:
Old 02-09-2010, 06:48 PM

whats the range of something like that?
Old 02-10-2010, 09:44 AM

Yes Blade, I got the instruction online. It was a 1960's article but doing a search of that web site, I can't find the article. Knex Crossbow Sidearm
I can scan the article I have printed and put it up on the net if you are interested Loggo557. As for range, joewinmor, on the front page it says "the wallop this baby packs makes it capable of driving a 6-in. bolt through a bull's-eye at 150 ft. Its power is stored in a spring-steel bow which requires a special cocking device ("goat foot") to provide the leverage necessary to draw back the bowstring and set it in the notched wheel of the weapon's trigger mechanism."
As for 150', well something this small would be for close range not distance and quiet.
My reason for wanting to know about this, well.... when SHTF .... read previous sentence.... oh gee that sounds vicious. In Canada getting a gun and licence is so involved, if I had something small tucked away (like my flare gun) that requires no licence all the better.
Correction, I am interested in this cause I want a nice centerpiece, conversation piece to hang on my living room wall. It's best I quit trying to come up with an excuse..the more I type the worse it sounds.
Old 02-10-2010, 11:16 AM
Hiker

If you intend to kill with one, you pretty much have to take your target in the eye. It does not have the power for a heart shot, unless you are really close, in which case you would probably have better options. An eye shot is not an unreasonable expectation, though, because they are pretty accurate, depending on the individual bolt. But the bolts do not produce the shock damage of a bullet, so you have to either get the heart or the brain for a kill, unless you are so super that you can precisely sever the carotid artery.
Old 02-10-2010, 11:32 AM

Actually wouldn't just pointing it at an intruder be the show stopper particularly if pointed slightly downward?

I am looking at light weight and portability. There are a lot of rabbits here too.
Old 02-13-2010, 05:09 AM

Here are the instructions for that pistol crossbow:

My mistake it was 1963 not 1960.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Fieryice For This Useful Post:
Old 03-09-2010, 05:02 PM

Thanks it would be really interesting to try one of those out.