Survivalist Forum

Advertise Here

Go Back   Survivalist Forum > Survival & Preparedness Forum > Disaster Preparedness General Discussion
Articles Chat Room Classifieds Donations Gallery Groups Links Store Survival Files

Disaster Preparedness General Discussion Anything Disaster Preparedness or Survival Related

Advertise Here

Old 02-06-2010, 09:33 AM
Hiker

Default looking for Bug Out Location

Advertise Here

Hi everyone. I have seriously started the procces of looking to purchase a new home,BOL. For the next 2 years I am banking up a good amount of money for the purchase of land with a house and I am looking for some real input as to what would be a good location. I plan to purchase outright,no mortgage. My old residence was in Milw, which I'd like to stay the heck out of . Presently I am employed by the US Army but down range I will probubly be driving truck again. I would like to get a home that can be maintained by myself, something that can house up to 6 people, a decent amount of land for growing food, storing vehicles including an 18 wheeler, somewhere that using a firearm on property is permitted including hunting. I prefer areas where fresh water is abudant. I would also like an area where peace and quiet is in good supply also.
I have seen a fair amount of the country over the last 4 years. I have been a life long Wisconsin Resident but am ready to relocate. My urban/social needss are limited. I do most of my shopping at Wally's ,Farm and Fleet and of course the sporting good stores. The area that I am considering goes from as far north as North Dakota to Texas and as far west as Kansas to Kentucky.
There are a few things that I would like to avoid. The primary thing that I would like to avoid is state and local goverments that have a bad case of "progressiveitis". I do not want to live in a state that wants to outlaw my gunrack or regulate every stick on my property. Also If I want to park my truck at home I dont want some bleeding heart in the town council to freak out over my frieghtliner parked there. The other thing I would love to avoid is
inner city pioneers. I have seen way too many small towns with fledgling street gangs that are hell bent on turning cornfields into gang turf. Moderate cost of living is also strongly factored in I would like to keep my income for my self not the state.
So I am welcoming input from all on what would be a good area to look into.Please tell me about the good and the bad of states and towns.

Last edited by 4norsemen; 02-06-2010 at 09:34 AM.. Reason: spell check
Old 02-06-2010, 10:17 AM
Prepared

Thanked 12,289 Times in 5,721 Posts

I would suggest this site:
http://www.landwatch.com/
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to aramchek For This Useful Post:
Old 02-06-2010, 11:21 AM
Tested in the Wilderness

Thanked 16,783 Times in 3,487 Posts
Awards Showcase
Outstanding Thread Outstanding Thread 
Total Awards: 2

Here is another that might be helpful and about the least expensive land I have seen. But one does have to buy quite a bit and a lot of that land is in Texas which it hopefully has water on that land. But here is the site if any are interested > http://www.cheaplandinamerica.com/

They have tracts of land over Oklahoma, Texas, Wyoming, and other states.

Also Wyoming has no state tax, fairly low property taxes and is not a nanny state like so many are. It is also recommended by the free state project. Which people can google for more info on that If interested. Not sure about Texas or other states but I would think Texas is also not too much of a nanny state? And allows gunracks etc. etc.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Mtnman Mike For This Useful Post:
Old 02-06-2010, 11:54 AM
Prepared

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mtnman Mike View Post
Not sure about Texas or other states but I would think Texas is also not too much of a nanny state? And allows gunracks etc. etc.
Yeah in Texas you can have gun racks and all but all the land I can see on that page is out in West Texas near New Mexico. Thats mostly desert land that don't look too hospitable from what I can tell from the photos. It says its in Loving County which I guess if you wanted to get away from things it would be the place to go but I'd prefer somewhere near the coast or in East Texas myself. For more info on Loving County, Texas......

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Loving_County,_Texas

http://www.lovingcountytexas.us/

The most tempting thing to me on that page would be one of those 20 acre wooded tracts in Oklahoma.

http://www.oklandrush.com/

Or from the other page but it cost twice as much 40 acres on a nice trout stream in Colorado, if you dont mind dealing with snow......

http://www.landwatch.com/Costilla-Co.../pid/144000731
The Following User Says Thank You to HDCowboy For This Useful Post:
Old 02-06-2010, 12:14 PM
Tested in the Wilderness

Thanked 16,783 Times in 3,487 Posts
Awards Showcase
Outstanding Thread Outstanding Thread 
Total Awards: 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by HDCowboy View Post
Yeah in Texas you can have gun racks and all but all the land I can see on that page is out in West Texas near New Mexico. Thats mostly desert land that don't look too hospitable from what I can tell from the photos.
I thought it was probably desert and might be one big reason that the land is fairly cheap.

I personally have remote mtn land that has Much water, wood and wildlife as I show with many pics, in case some have not seen all the newest pics in 3 posts here > http://www.survivalistboards.com/showthread.php?t=84562
Old 02-06-2010, 02:54 PM
Hiker

Thanx for the input Eastern Oklahoma is on my short-list. I have been thru there a fair amount . From what I saw it was a pretty green area. Also I heard that Veterans dont get charged property tax..
Old 02-07-2010, 05:38 AM
Get Lost! May I?

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4norsemen View Post
Thanx for the input Eastern Oklahoma is on my short-list. I have been thru there a fair amount . From what I saw it was a pretty green area. Also I heard that Veterans dont get charged property tax..
I stayed in Catoosa,Tulsa, and Owasso, OK for a few months before going on a trip. It's alright if you don't mind the humidity. They call that area Green Country.
Old 02-07-2010, 06:52 AM

Keep checking Gunbroker and the Land section. I've been sorely tempted on some myself. I'm also in the market. Where I'm at now is ok, fresh water spring and defensible, remote (to be this close to people), within 1/2 mile. But I don't really have enough land. 12 acres isn't enough if you have other landowners bordering you. I've watched deer walk on the neighbors property (no hunting allowed by him) and never cross that magical line. This would be a problem if times got harder.
The Following User Says Thank You to renegadebuck For This Useful Post:
Old 02-07-2010, 07:34 AM
Doomsayer

Thanked 5,794 Times in 2,013 Posts

Wherever you land, make sure it is 3 hours drive from ANY large city, 20 minutes drive from any small town or major artery.

This is almost impossible to do east of the Mississippi.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Kregener For This Useful Post:
Old 02-07-2010, 09:10 AM

What is the price range you're looking at? Also, how many acres?
Someone said 12 acres ain't enough. Well, 20 or 40 would be nice, but not everyone can afford that. You should be able to make things work on a 3-5 acre plot.

Personally, I like land that is secluded and treed. Look for something down a rural dirt road on county land.
The Ozarks in southern Missouri and northern Arkansas has some pretty remote locations. The landwatch.com site posted by aramchek is good. Here's another with some rural properties:
http://www.unitedcountry.com/
The Following User Says Thank You to justin_case For This Useful Post:
Old 02-07-2010, 01:13 PM
Live Secret, Live Happy

Thanked 12,112 Times in 4,517 Posts

When I started looking for a similar piece of land, I started by thinking about what climate (growing season) I wanted and how much precipitation. Personally, I wanted a climate no colder than zone 6 and a yearly precip of no less than 24 inches and no more than 48 inches. I looked up the maps online and that describes the lower midwest from Interstate 80 south to Dallas Tx, and as far west as Wichita, Ks and as far east as the Mississippi Rv. I am sure there are nice places further East, but since I grew up in Iowa and have spent my working career in California, I had to draw a line somewhere.

I then compared the state income and property taxes for these states (www.retirementliving.com) and found a lot of these states give advantages to retiring veterans and Federal workers. Look closely at the total tax picture as this will pay off hansomely in the years ahead. I also considered how the state treats small farmers and how each county voted in the 2000 general election to gauge the liberalization of their voters.

I narrowed it down to Missouri, Arkansas, Eastern Kansas and Eastern Oklahoma. I bought my place in Oklahoma for less than $900/ac three years ago. The state bend over backward to help small farmers get started and the land prices and taxes are low.

My brother lives in Missouri and has very similar opinions of that state as well.

I know that Kansas waives all income taxes from Federal and Military retirees if that is important. Start looking and perhaps I'll see you some time.
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Hick Industries For This Useful Post:
Old 02-07-2010, 01:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kregener View Post
Wherever you land, make sure it is 3 hours drive from ANY large city, 20 minutes drive from any small town or major artery.

This is almost impossible to do east of the Mississippi.
Not really. I've got two spots picked out... I'll be driving up to look at both again to make a decision very soon. Both are way off the beaten path and I have seen just as remote places east of the MS in TN, KY, WV, AL, NE MS, etc. Just have to look in the right places.
Old 02-07-2010, 03:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fletcher Christian View Post
Not really. I've got two spots picked out... I'll be driving up to look at both again to make a decision very soon. Both are way off the beaten path and I have seen just as remote places east of the MS in TN, KY, WV, AL, NE MS, etc. Just have to look in the right places.
I've thought a lot about Kentucky. Gun friendly and I really would rather have mountain land as most is wooded and if it had water it would be great! Tennessee, Virginia, NC, SC, GA, anything like this would be nice. A 12 Acre square would probably be plenty, but what I have now is much longer than it is wide. It does make for a good shooting range though. I'd like to have 20-40 acres with a stream. This would be ideal.
The Following User Says Thank You to renegadebuck For This Useful Post:
Old 01-26-2011, 08:44 PM

I've spent some time looking at this question too and was wondering if anyone had any information on the mountainous areas to the north, northwest, and west of Greenville, SC.

That is one of the areas I've thought about for about six months. The weather seems reasonable, not too cold, hot, wet or dry. There was at some point some gold mining there. Also close enough to cities, hospitals, etc. They have a state income tax but it is my understanding that it is not too outrageous.

Anyone have any thoughts?
Old 01-26-2011, 09:51 PM

I am very familiar with that area and have some property there. the weather is managable and water plentyful, easy to get pretty remote by eastern standards
The Following User Says Thank You to chuck s For This Useful Post:
Old 01-26-2011, 10:16 PM
Hunter

Sc has a lot of cheap farmland, and you can usually buy some with good water on it. It has mild winters, which is important. You would not believe what a cold winter does to hay supplies.
The Following User Says Thank You to andersed For This Useful Post:
Old 01-26-2011, 10:27 PM
Survivor

Thanked 4,680 Times in 2,240 Posts

if you thinking about ky look at the knob country. the knobs are a wide string of hills that stretch from north east from the river ashland area down to danville then back up to the river west of louisville, roughly making a horse shoe. inside that area is the bluegrass. the other regions are on the outside. lots of cheap land, deer game thick lots of water
The Following User Says Thank You to stant For This Useful Post:
Old 01-26-2011, 11:03 PM
Hiker

Location: On a clear day, you can almost see Colorado to the west..
Default Be fore warned

One little thought to consider.
Draw a line SE from Wichita Kansas
towards the SE corner of Arkansas.
This is usually the main part of tornado alley.
Maybe a little farther SE, but you can
look up tornado alley on the internet.

99% of the time they are an annoyance.
The other 1% usually is bad news.

You know you are from Kansas, if you grab
your video camera and run outside when the
tornado sirens go off
The Following User Says Thank You to passin thru For This Useful Post: