Survivalist Forum

Advertise Here

Go Back   Survivalist Forum > Survival & Preparedness Forum > Disaster Preparedness General Discussion
Articles Chat Room Classifieds Donations Gallery Groups Links Store Survival Files

Disaster Preparedness General Discussion Anything Disaster Preparedness or Survival Related

Advertise Here

Old 02-05-2010, 06:44 PM
Not what I appear to be

Thanked 3,694 Times in 1,137 Posts
Default How can I use whole oats

Advertise Here

My local Murdock's Farm & Ranch Supply, has a sale tomorrow (Saturday 6 Feb) on 50 lb bags of whole oats for $9.00 a bag. I don't own a horse however, since oats are a grain and I'm thinkin' $9 for 50 lbs sound cheap to me.

So if I buy a couple of bags, what can I do with them when SHTF, other than eat them raw and start to whinnie ?
The Following User Says Thank You to Old Warrior For This Useful Post:
Old 02-05-2010, 06:50 PM
May the Lord be with us

Thanked 8,088 Times in 3,261 Posts

They can be eaten raw. You'll probably want to remove the outer hull.

You can toast them. You can boil them. You can press them flat and fry them or boil them. If you have a grain mill, you can grind them coarsely to create an oat meal or grind them really fine and turn them into a flour to bake with.

They are incredibly nutritious and good for you.

And best of all, none of the ideas above will cause you to "whinny."
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Goethic For This Useful Post:
Old 02-05-2010, 06:56 PM
Not what I appear to be

I should add that the advertisment states they have been passed through a 5-stage cleaning process.
Old 02-05-2010, 07:00 PM
I love this forum

Thanked 6,819 Times in 3,430 Posts

doctor samuel johnson, in his early dictionary, defines oats as , " a cereal grain eaten by horses in england and men in scotland."
a critic quickly replied, "that is why you have good horses in england, and we have good men in scotland."
Old 02-05-2010, 07:17 PM
Stand Firm.Buy Safecastle

Not to jack your thread, but what kind of oats from a feed store should you not buy?
Does anyone have a post (or you can list here) that states what oats are good to buy from a feed store?

OP---what brand and kind of oats are they?

I am kinda oat ignorant and would like to know more.

Thanks
Old 02-05-2010, 07:26 PM
Survivor

Thanked 11,119 Times in 4,361 Posts

Cook them! Groats are nutritional powerhouses, full of all sorts of goodness AND a bran coating containing loads of minerals and fiber for your health. Two cups of water, one half cup oats, bring to a boil, reduce heat, cover, simmer an hour or two, eat. They'v got a chewy textuee and nutty flavor that, if all you've ever eaten is rolled oats, will make you sit up and take notice...

Alton Brown (Good Eats, the Food Network, back when the emphasis was on food and not spectacle) investigated oats once: Here's a transcript of the show, with recipies included. http://www.goodeatsfanpage.com/Seaso...Transcript.htm

Fifty pounds for $9 is an EXTREMELY good deal...
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Moccasin For This Useful Post:
Old 02-05-2010, 07:31 PM
Not what I appear to be

Canadian grown, doesn't state anything other than that. I may get 4 bags now.
I like supporting our neighbors to the north, I see their rigs on I 15 all the time down here.
Old 02-05-2010, 07:33 PM
I don't wanna talk about

Islp,
If you buy groats, the hulls have already been removed. You probably don't want to eat oats with the hulls still on unless you're craving fiber.
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to dgr For This Useful Post:
Old 02-05-2010, 07:55 PM
PERMANENTLY REDACTED

Thanked 1,638 Times in 664 Posts
Default Goat grots

Feed store grains are not always up to snuff...Pesticides organic, contaminants, hulls, ETC. Spend the extra cash at your local Hippie Store and buy a bulk 25 or 50Lb sack or more and be done with it. Then spend about a hundred bucks on this: http://www.kitchenkneads.com/index.p...ing&listing=63 I am totally pleased with mine...It will also do other grains.
You can also run them through a flour grinder like the country living grain mill at about $300. OOPS make that $400...Man have things gone up! Glad I bought mine years ago...Here's a link: http://countrylivinggrainmills.com/ This is built like a tank!...Preppin ain't cheap! Yea you can save some bucks here and there but ya get what ya pay for!
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to ELBUFO For This Useful Post:
Old 02-05-2010, 09:31 PM
Recent Blog:
Prepared

Default I boil groats

I occasionally enjoy oat groats for breakfast.
I boil them for 20 min or so and then add
some butter and honey. They are still kind of
chewy at that point.

Other times I substitute oat groats for rice when
making chop suey.

I have some #10 cans that I got from Walton,
and some 1lb bags that I got from the health food store.
The 1lb bags were around $3, but they have never made me sick, and 1lb goes a long way. I go through about a pound a month in the winter.
The Following User Says Thank You to Baja For This Useful Post:
Old 02-05-2010, 09:50 PM
Walking methane refinery

Thanked 98,248 Times in 32,085 Posts
Awards Showcase
Outstanding Member 
Total Awards: 1

Are they hulled oats? If they have the hulls still on they're going to be a pain. If they don't, that's a great price! The naked oats that grow without a hull are also starting to hit the market in a lot of places.
The Following User Says Thank You to MikeK For This Useful Post:
Old 02-05-2010, 09:56 PM
"Always Be Prepared"

Quote:
Originally Posted by ELBUFO View Post
Feed store grains are not always up to snuff...Pesticides organic, contaminants, hulls, ETC. Spend the extra cash at your local Hippie Store and buy a bulk 25 or 50Lb sack or more and be done with it.
So you're sayin buy groats, yes?
I already have oats from a feed supply with hulls and the mfg. says they're pure as can be(no pesticides etc.) but have hulls. What's the easiest and cheapest way to de-hull them? Then do they still have to be rolled?
Old 02-05-2010, 09:56 PM
Not what I appear to be

I'll let you all know after I buy some tomorrow. If nothing else, they will be good for barter material.
Old 02-05-2010, 11:04 PM

Warrior,

If these are coming from a feed store I highly doubt that they are hulled. You do not want to mess with whole oats for food - it will be a big PITA. There's nothing unsafe with them or nutritionally deficient but you won't be able to dehull them without the proper equipment and trust me you won't want to eat the hulls. Usually even the rolled oats from a feed store are not hulled. Have you ever gotten a hull or two in your oatmeal? Multiply that by however many oats are in your bowl.

I am not at all against buying wheat and whole corn from a feed store as they come ready to use. We use feed store bought wheat and whole corn for all our bread, etc. They don't have the type of hulls that oats do though. Spend a few dollars more and find a place to buy oat groats. Good luck.

gk

ETA: Check this link out for a source of oat groats and rolled oats:
http://www.wheatmontana.com/store/index.php?cPath=29_34

At $44 per 50 lbs the groats are on the expensive side but at least you'll have something you can eat. The rolled oats are only $38 / 50 lbs. but groats will store better longer. Looks like there's all kinds of places in Helena that may carry their products. Pull up their dealer locater.

I just checked and I bought some groats at Walton Feed in Montlpelier, ID this summer for about half that price so you might check around. You're in a good area for that kind of stuff. Good luck.

Last edited by gkmiami; 02-05-2010 at 11:37 PM.. Reason: Additional info
The Following User Says Thank You to gkmiami For This Useful Post:
Old 02-05-2010, 11:22 PM
May the Lord be with us

Thanked 8,088 Times in 3,261 Posts

Get the outer hulls off (presuming that they are not groats - oats with the hull removed); boil for 15 - 20 min, fry for 2 min. in butter, place in bowl with a bit of milk, add honey & enjoy...
Old 02-05-2010, 11:28 PM
Walking methane refinery

Thanked 98,248 Times in 32,085 Posts
Awards Showcase
Outstanding Member 
Total Awards: 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by charlieb View Post
So you're sayin buy groats, yes?
I already have oats from a feed supply with hulls and the mfg. says they're pure as can be(no pesticides etc.) but have hulls. What's the easiest and cheapest way to de-hull them? Then do they still have to be rolled?
You might google threshing or dehulling oats. I don't know if it's done the same way as wheat, but if so, you'll be cursing your purchase by the time you get them all done!

I manually threshed some wheat years ago, and instantly took a dislike to the idea of growing it.
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to MikeK For This Useful Post:
Old 02-06-2010, 12:22 PM
Not what I appear to be

Quote:
Originally Posted by gkmiami View Post
Warrior,

ETA: Check this link out for a source of oat groats and rolled oats:
http://www.wheatmontana.com/store/index.php?cPath=29_34
Thanks, There is a Wheat Montana store downtown, I'll check them out to see what they have. I have bought flour there before but it's been awhile.
Thanks again for the link.
Old 02-06-2010, 03:35 PM
I don't wanna talk about

Any feed store will have oat groats. I agree that the price that started this thread is likely whole oats. I called a feed store here which is in one of the tenth largest cities in California to get a price on oat groats. 22 and change for a 50 lb bag. If I needed 50 lbs, I would not hesitate in purchasing them and using them for human consumption. Farmers don't grow specific fields of "human grade" and "feed grade" grains.

I also would spend the extra money for oat groats because I don't have a good way to dehull whole oats. While I remember eating a handful of sweet goat feed as a kid, I distinctly remember the chewiness of the oat hulls. BUT, if you have a mill, a cracking pass through it would also dehull the oats. Then you would have to winnow it. For long-term SHTF, a mill would be a necessity. Hmmmm, looks like I better go shopping
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to dgr For This Useful Post:
Old 02-06-2010, 03:46 PM
RESET CONGRESS!!

Thanked 12,412 Times in 4,749 Posts

Hull and Oats?

I CAN go for that.

I know, I know,..I have too much time on my hands. But hey, I'm snowed in.

The Following User Says Thank You to WSierra For This Useful Post:
Old 02-06-2010, 04:05 PM
Not what I appear to be

I passed on the whole oats. Instead I went to Wheat Montana and bought a 50# bag of Hard Red Winter Wheat and a 50# bag of Hard White Spring Wheat $22.50 each.

They said I could order the Groats and the Soft White Wheat, which I will probably do even though they have a slight shipping charge, which I don't understand because they get the stuff shipped in to the store, oh well.

My other option is to drive down to Three Forks (about 70 miles) to get the stuff at the big store. Gas vs. shipping charge ?

WSierra - Have fun in the snow. "She's a Man Eater"