Survivalist Forum

Advertise Here

Go Back   Survivalist Forum > >
Articles Classifieds Donations Gallery Groups Links Store Survival Files

Notices

Advertise Here
Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Dermabond for dummies? joyfulheart Disaster Preparedness General Discussion 34 05-01-2016 04:24 PM
Superglue wtfsw Disaster Preparedness General Discussion 26 03-30-2012 09:24 AM
50-cent 'Dermabond'? zombiefood Health, Fitness and First Aid 11 10-11-2011 08:23 PM
Dermabond Do you carry it? The Saint Health, Fitness and First Aid 12 05-30-2011 02:29 PM
superglue for cuts pinstripe Health, Fitness and First Aid 9 02-06-2011 05:38 AM
Super Glue or Dermabond? SWThomas Health, Fitness and First Aid 8 10-10-2010 09:28 PM
Man do I love Superglue! Discordish Disaster Preparedness General Discussion 19 04-29-2010 09:36 PM
Dermabond topical skin adhesive kev Health, Fitness and First Aid 21 04-14-2010 09:10 PM
superglue voland Disaster Preparedness General Discussion 8 09-08-2008 09:07 AM

Old 02-02-2010, 08:26 PM

Default Dermabond versus Superglue

Advertise Here

This question is for the professionals out there, is the high cost of Dermabond worth it? Or is standard Superglue/Crazyglue equally safe and effective at closing wounds? Thoughts? First-hand experience? Thanks!
Old 02-02-2010, 08:29 PM
Trapper

Far from a pro. but can tell you that super glue will bond skin back together. My bud just closed a gaping hole in his beagle's neck with it. I have used it on mine and on my hand. Dr.s use it daily so it must work.
The Following User Says Thank You to -06 For This Useful Post:
Old 02-02-2010, 08:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by -06 View Post
Far from a pro. but can tell you that super glue will bond skin back together. My bud just closed a gaping hole in his beagle's neck with it. I have used it on mine and on my hand. Dr.s use it daily so it must work.
Thanks for the quick reply, I know Superglue works I'm just trying to figure out why Dermabond costs $30 for 0.5 mL!
Old 02-05-2010, 03:31 PM

superglue or crazyglue is methyl 2-cyanoacrylate, ethyl-2-cyanoacrylate .

dermabond is 2-octyl cyanoacrylate

they are similar but different compounds.

superglue can irritate tissue whereas dermabond doesnt to a lesser extent.

dermabond got FDA approval because of the lack of irritation and due to the fact that its manufactured specifically for human use. superglue isnt and didnt.

However, if no other option you could use superglue, however you need to arrest the bleeding as blood reacts with the glue to form a rather nasty scab.

As for the price, well are you surprised that the medical/drug companies are trying to screw you out of your hard earned money.
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to gunners99 For This Useful Post:
Old 02-05-2010, 08:45 PM
Sky Soldier

Not for most people, derma-bond's shelf life is only about two years max. Superglue can cause heating on the skin where it is applied. Superglue avalibility is hard to argue with. Application and properties are very similar.
Old 02-06-2010, 10:56 AM
Raider

Look for some 3M Vetbond. Exactly the same thing as Dermabond (octyl cyanoacrylate)
and half the price. Still expensive as hell though. The benefits over derma/vetbond, is that the exposed tissues do not react to it like they do to superglue.

If I have to close a gaping wound however, my choice is still staples or sutures, not in that particular order. I've used dermabond for small cuts, basically anything that I could use a butterfly or wound closure strips on.

I carry neither in my TK/FAK (dermabond/vetbond/superglue)
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Roughrider For This Useful Post:
Old 02-06-2010, 03:10 PM
Trapper

Quote:
Originally Posted by gunners99 View Post
superglue or crazyglue is methyl 2-cyanoacrylate, ethyl-2-cyanoacrylate .

dermabond is 2-octyl cyanoacrylate

they are similar but different compounds.

superglue can irritate tissue whereas dermabond doesnt to a lesser extent.

dermabond got FDA approval because of the lack of irritation and due to the fact that its manufactured specifically for human use. superglue isnt and didnt.

However, if no other option you could use superglue, however you need to arrest the bleeding as blood reacts with the glue to form a rather nasty scab.

As for the price, well are you surprised that the medical/drug companies are trying to screw you out of your hard earned money.

That is true regarding the dermabond vs the superglue. Superglue also causes a heat reaction when placed on wet tissue of the skin. Which is where the octyl cyanoacrylate came into play vs the ethyl-2-cyanoacrylate.

I dont carry either superglue or dermabond in my kits! Personal prefence. Most wounds can be closed with proper dressing.
The Following User Says Thank You to Ghostrider247 For This Useful Post:
Old 02-06-2010, 04:21 PM
Hiker

It is my understanding that "Superglue" came about originally from the research for a glue alternative to stitches. The gell version is most applicable.

A veterinary version known as E.M.T. is sold. I have used it for tearing wounds such as on dogs pads, etc. I carry it while hunting for my dogs, but also as an emergency wound closure for humans.
Old 02-06-2010, 08:48 PM

Personal experience talking here ... I use SUPERGLUE in my "nether regions" following birth. Learned this from another homebirth mama who used it in two of her three births and taught lots of people about it. I didn't have issues with it heating up or making nasty scabs when in contact with blood (tends to be lots of blood following birth). And I never heard of other homebirth moms having issues with it.

So I'm of the mind that if it works in my most sensitive regions then it's good enough for the rest of my body. But that's just me.
Old 02-12-2010, 08:33 PM

Quote:
Uhh...No! LOL
Old 02-12-2010, 10:24 PM
Survivor

Thanked 1,921 Times in 1,038 Posts

I've read that it is important to leave a drain hole when using Superglue.
Old 07-26-2016, 08:42 AM

Just to amplify abit on gunners 99;
nothing is more expensive than boat equipment and medical equipment/materials. I won't comment on boating gear but for med. products; if it's hardware IT MUST NOT FAIL, and for chemical,
(drugs potions, etc.), you can imagine the litigation if ANYTHING goes wrong!

Sealing penetrating wounds brings hazards of its own.

Last edited by marsh; 07-26-2016 at 08:55 AM.. Reason: error
Old 07-26-2016, 12:33 PM
Survivor

Thanked 5,093 Times in 1,933 Posts

I had a 2.5" scalp wound in 2012, bloody as hell but managed to get the bleeding stopped to a point where I could go to the ER, my wife took me. I was granted immediate access once I took off my hat and clump of soaked tissues to show them at the front desk.

The doctor or whoever it was, closed the wound with steri strips. Then applied the derma bond.... it actually felt cool initially... then grew extremely hot for about 90 seconds. This was the exothermic cure process. After that I went home, in and out of the ER in 55 minutes.

I don't think crazy glue could have done the same thing, even with the gel type. But it would be a lot better than nothing.
Old 07-27-2016, 06:40 PM
Corpsman Up

Thanked 6,300 Times in 2,063 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by marsh View Post
Just to amplify abit on gunners 99;
nothing is more expensive than boat equipment and medical equipment/materials. I won't comment on boating gear but for med. products; if it's hardware IT MUST NOT FAIL, and for chemical,
(drugs potions, etc.), you can imagine the litigation if ANYTHING goes wrong!

Sealing penetrating wounds brings hazards of its own.
Welcome aboard.
Old 07-27-2016, 08:27 PM
Survivor

Thanked 3,191 Times in 1,870 Posts

i'm just an old medivac nurse, so some of my methods are old as well.
i'm still using 'butterfly' and adhesive style closures for small wounds. still works as i just did another one a few days ago. cut already healed, minimal scar.
and it sure is hard to beat the price.
and yes, i still do have a decent minor surgery set for things a little more involved. as i get older, i tend to make more mistakes resulting in the need for a really good alternative to running to the er. not so easy to do here really.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to strvger For This Useful Post:
Old 07-29-2016, 02:09 PM
Hillbilly By***!

Thanked 1,422 Times in 606 Posts

I have closed two very bad cuts on myself with superglue gel.
I prefer the gel, it's much less runny.
Some points to remember..
Always leave a little bit of the wound unglued for drainage, preferably the downhill side of the wound.
Clean very well before closing the wound and make sure it's free from bacteria.
Lastly, superglue burns like hades! Just be aware of that, it's like pourin fire into a wound with a gasoline and salt chaser..
Both of my cuts have healed well and it saved me a ton on stitches and is much easier than stitches..
Old 07-29-2016, 03:39 PM
This is a great survival forum

Superglue is exothermic when drying and can apparently burn the skin

The only time I ever experienced this was an accident where an entire tube burst over me.
It was definitely very warm through my track bottoms it spilled on, but didn't damage my skin at all, not sure if it would have burned if directly on the skin, I suspect it might cause a mild burn.

I've used it a few times on cuts, but mostly I've used it on 'hot spots' on my feet where it did it's job of protecting the skin and preventing it blistering

Also used it on the dogs pads when they got cut on glass, worked well albeit that it needed reapplied every few miles
Old 07-29-2016, 03:51 PM
Corpsman Up

Thanked 6,300 Times in 2,063 Posts

Be careful when gluing lacs close to eye lids. They will become stuck in a mili-second.

I always had antibiotic ointment handy to rub it off and open the eyes.
Old 07-30-2016, 10:34 AM
Hunter

Thanked 2,292 Times in 635 Posts

Option #3

Don't use either

Obviously, I use Dermabond if anything. But few wounds are worth gluing shut unless they have come from a sterile environment i.e. a surgical theater

For most wounds you would not need to completely seal them, nor is this a good idea. Steri-strips, butterfly closures leave a little more leeway if the wound bed is questionable

Wounds don't need to be sealed like a zip-lock and often do better if they are not, especially if they are received in a non sterile environment (you know, like every wound we basically get)

Basic rule of thumb - outside of sterile incisions, if the wound is small enough to be a candidate for closure, Dermabond or Superglue would each work with Dermabond > Superglue

If the wound is larger it is likely not a candidate for closure with skin glue and then it shouldn't be used anyway

I worked with a wound care team for a short while before anesthesia and was SHOCKED!! at the massive gaping wounds that were awaiting me just under the ABD pads - Wow is all I can say. But the best bet was to leave most of them open

If plastics was leaving the wound open, awaiting a graft, it would be a moot point in a prepper's world and too large to glue anyhow lol