Survivalist Forum

Advertise Here

Go Back   Survivalist Forum > Survival & Preparedness Forum > Farming, Gardening & Homesteading
Articles Chat Room Classifieds Donations Gallery Groups Links Store Survival Files

Farming, Gardening & Homesteading Country lifestyle, homesteading and living off the grid.

Advertise Here

Old 02-02-2010, 01:16 PM
Recent Blog: The Smell of Chili
Hunter

Default Food Stamps and plants

Advertise Here

Just curious... but I just learned a tidbit of info that South Carolona Food stamps may be used to purchase Seeds and plants used to grow foods including fruit trees.

This seems like a good idea. Do other states also have a Food Stamp program that allows them to buy food plants/seeds?
Old 02-02-2010, 01:35 PM
old hand

Thanked 6,216 Times in 2,961 Posts

I think the whole 'food stamp' program should be scrapped.
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to ex-hunter For This Useful Post:
Old 02-02-2010, 01:37 PM
Recent Blog: The Smell of Chili
Hunter

Quote:
Originally Posted by ex-hunter View Post
Well, yeah, I am not going to argue with you. You are probably right there...
Old 02-02-2010, 02:03 PM
Para Bellum

Thanked 3,411 Times in 1,209 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by southtex View Post
Just curious... but I just learned a tidbit of info that South Carolona Food stamps may be used to purchase Seeds and plants used to grow foods including fruit trees.

This seems like a good idea. Do other states also have a Food Stamp program that allows them to buy food plants/seeds?
I just looked at some states...if they use SNAP quidelines, they can. Quest and other EBT programs in 90% of states can use them to buy seeds or plants, including edible item producing trees.
Old 02-02-2010, 02:30 PM
Hunter

Thanked 1,371 Times in 675 Posts

Dare I say it, I believe that most people on Food Stamps won't buy seeds----too much work!
The Following 8 Users Say Thank You to oif1man For This Useful Post:
Old 02-02-2010, 02:40 PM
Old Noob

Thanked 4,781 Times in 2,219 Posts

That's one (valid) reason. Another might be that it takes months to grow food and their family is hungry now.
The Following User Says Thank You to AlgoRhythms For This Useful Post:
Old 02-02-2010, 02:42 PM
old hand

Thanked 6,216 Times in 2,961 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlgoRhythms View Post
That's one (valid) reason. Another might be that it takes months to grow food and their family is hungry now.
yea, but jest think ... in addition to feeding all her kids on food stamps like her granny did, she can actually feed them fruit off the tree granny bought with the food stamps!
Old 02-03-2010, 08:04 AM
Grain of sand

Thanked 5,232 Times in 1,561 Posts

Just lately the whole food stamp thing has been bothering me. I am going to bust my butt to have a garden this summer. One, because I really want to learn about it, two, to save money. Why aren't people on assistance encouraged to grow some of their own food? In my area we all have yards, even in towns everyone except apartment dwellers have the opportunity to have a garden. I would feel somewhat bad if I didn't have a job and didn't have a garden if I had all the time in the world to watch tv and collect a check from the tax payers.
The Following User Says Thank You to Gypsymoonfarm For This Useful Post:
Old 02-03-2010, 08:21 AM
Survivor

Thanked 2,713 Times in 1,262 Posts

In Detroit they have a program where people get free seeds, fertilzer, assistance to make a garden. I dont think its related to the food stamp program. I would love if they gave away free seeds and fertilizer in my neighborhood.
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to anne36 For This Useful Post:
Old 02-03-2010, 08:28 AM
I love this forum

Thanked 3,658 Times in 1,406 Posts

I've heard similar stories about the IL and WI food stamp programs. Can't say for sure it's true.... but I've heard the rumors/gossip.
Old 02-03-2010, 01:25 PM
Μολὼν λαβέ

Thanked 1,204 Times in 522 Posts

Quote:
Every family should be responsible for growing at least 75 percent of all the food they consume. I agree.
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to wsarris424 For This Useful Post:
Old 02-03-2010, 01:52 PM
Hunter

Thanked 1,371 Times in 675 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by wsarris424 View Post
Every family should be responsible for growing at least 75 percent of all the food they consume. I agree.
That would be a great idea! But government would lose too much control over the food supply...
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to oif1man For This Useful Post:
Old 02-03-2010, 02:11 PM

i know in alaska they can buy fishing equipment and even hunting rifles and ammo for said guns but then alot of alaska is subsistance living to begin with. also i just wonder how many of the people here could be put into a urban enviroment with no job no money no skills and survive? because thats what you are talking about with a lot of these people who are on goverment programs sure some are just plain lazy and i agree they don't deserve to be on the programs but the mentality of the baby boomers generation was don't spank your kids don't tell them they are being a$$holes when they are or you better get a good education so you can get that job thats going to pay your way in this world instead they said you can be anything you want but did not back that up with the disapline (sp) they needed to accomplish that. and so like some of you said now they sit on thier a$$ just like thier mommy daddy did.
Old 02-03-2010, 04:28 PM
Sunshine On My Shoulders

Thanked 3,956 Times in 2,248 Posts

Quote:
yea, but jest think ... in addition to feeding all her kids on food stamps like her granny did, she can actually feed them fruit off the tree granny bought with the food stamps!
But the varieties that grow in concrete and asphalt don't taste like much.
Old 02-03-2010, 04:51 PM
Sunshine On My Shoulders

Thanked 3,956 Times in 2,248 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by vigilant20 View Post
Where do you live that the yards are paved? And even if they are just pick up free 5 gallon buckets and reuse ice cream buckets, yogurt tubs, etc for pots. They sit on concrete quite nicely.
Actually most urban section 8 housing doesn't have yards at all.
Old 02-06-2010, 07:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wsarris424 View Post
Wow...yeah...I guess you didn't get the memo that we're in the Information Age now. It's funny to see people still holding onto Agrarian Age ideals. What a pompous thing to say. If you could somehow make every family responsible for growing 75% of their own food, would you be willing to pay for the funerals of, oh, I don't know, at least 50% of the population?

How do you propose that everyone would be able to be that close to self-sustaining? How much land would it require? How much does it cost to purchase that much arable land? Why should people be forced into any lifestyle?

I thought the great thing about the Industrial Revolution and now the Information Revolution is that they have freed people from the drudgery of subsistance farming. If you want to live in a place where this is the norm why not move to India or China where millions are starving to death doing something you obviously consider so easy that it should be mandatory.

I like to dream too. I think the girls from The Hills should screw me silly while I get drunk and watch Arrested Development reruns. At least my scenario doesn't involve the deaths of millions of people so that I can feel like everyone else is "good enough" to live in my world.

If we're going to dream, let's dream of progress. You know, a better world, where people are happy and free. Maybe an automated society where nobody has to work at all? Just some food for thought.
Old 02-07-2010, 10:35 PM
Walking methane refinery

Thanked 83,663 Times in 28,638 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by sara77 View Post
Just lately the whole food stamp thing has been bothering me. I am going to bust my butt to have a garden this summer. One, because I really want to learn about it, two, to save money. Why aren't people on assistance encouraged to grow some of their own food? In my area we all have yards, even in towns everyone except apartment dwellers have the opportunity to have a garden. I would feel somewhat bad if I didn't have a job and didn't have a garden if I had all the time in the world to watch tv and collect a check from the tax payers.
I'm not sure it would do any good. I knew a family years back online that were very poor and on food stamps. They lived on a big piece of rich land and the wife was a stay at home. I used to talk to her about saving money by simplifying the diet and cooking from scratch instead of buying entirely prepared foods. Nope, nothin' doin', takes too much work. I used to talk to her about planting a garden and raising chickens. Nope, don't know how, don't wanna learn, too much work.

From what she told me, they could have eaten well with what they earned if she would have put the money to better use. Especially if she would have been willing to spend a little time gardening and raising chickens instead of sitting in front of the computer all day chatting in IRC channels.
The Following User Says Thank You to MikeK For This Useful Post:
Old 09-16-2011, 07:20 AM
Survivor

Thanked 3,456 Times in 1,740 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by blue_diamond2077 View Post
You think you know everything huh? yeah all food stamp people are lowlife scum ? I had a full time job and was laid off . Now I'm a full time collage student going some where in life. I have just one more A and P class and i'll be in the nursing program.

Yeah I'm on foodstamps and yes I grow my own veggies and fruit trees bought with EBT. Just remember I'm far more educated then you ppl who don't know about the program and attack all on it. When i'm out of school I'll be making much more then you meaning I'll be paying higher taxes then you. So yeah go grow some corn it is easier to hide in when the gorrillas on horses try to net your mutant post-Fukushima ass. No guns or gold are going to save ya from isotopes in the soil and rain.
Really? You're mad about something people said over a year ago?

Continue to be proud of your food stamps and your free education, quite an accomplishment. I'd guess it's that fantastic attitude you have that got you "laid off" hence you're learning to be a nurse to guarantee someone will take you when shtf.
The Following User Says Thank You to wyldflwr For This Useful Post:
Old 09-17-2011, 02:17 PM
This is a great survival forum

Thanked 29,990 Times in 13,204 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by phenry419 View Post
Wow...yeah...I guess you didn't get the memo that we're in the Information Age now. It's funny to see people still holding onto Agrarian Age ideals. What a pompous thing to say. If you could somehow make every family responsible for growing 75% of their own food, would you be willing to pay for the funerals of, oh, I don't know, at least 50% of the population?
Actually Agrarian ideals aren't what killed people. Poor sewage and sanitation practices did. You have Agrarian societies today (a portion of Japan actually) that live longer than anywhere else on Earth.

Guess they didn't get your memo.
Old 09-17-2011, 07:59 PM
Bonafied Gardening Nut

Thanked 3,941 Times in 1,503 Posts

It ain't easy farming for at least a bit of what you consume.

But it ain't impossible either.

I have a friend growing 9 varieties of a 15 patio seed collection I gave him on his balcony.

I think the hardest part for some might be gumption...
The Following User Says Thank You to LeftCoast Grower For This Useful Post: