Survivalist Forum

Advertise Here

Go Back   Survivalist Forum > Firearms and Other Weapons Forum > Boating and Fishing
Articles Chat Room Classifieds Donations Gallery Groups Links Store Survival Files

Advertise Here

Old 03-20-2008, 01:28 PM
ruralist

Default Is Koi Karp Edible?

Advertise Here

I have access to land with around 50 full sized adult Koi and uncountable young'uns. What's the deal with cooking/eating them? Is it even possible and what good nutrients come from them? Googling eat koi just found companies selling Koi feed.
The Following User Says Thank You to arrexian For This Useful Post:
Old 03-20-2008, 01:46 PM
Survivor

Thanked 5,007 Times in 2,357 Posts
Awards Showcase
Outstanding Member Outstanding Post 
Total Awards: 2

Nearly all freshwater fish are edible. Whether they taste good is another thing entirely. :D

Depending on the water that they're in you might want to catch them and put them in a large holding area/tank with fresh running water. This will clean there system out. This is what medieval monks did.

Lots of people around the world eat carp. On an earlier thread I posted a couple of recipes. I'm sure you can find a lot more.

Also, who do those carp belong to? Koi carp, coloured/ornamental carp can cost thousands and thousands of pounds each, so the owner might be a little angry if you're doing a spot of poaching.

You could sell them? Earn a few quid and send them to a good home.
The Following User Says Thank You to Yorkshire Boy For This Useful Post:
Old 03-20-2008, 01:57 PM
ruralist

They are owned by the parents and my father does sell babies + some prize adults. However the young boringly marked ones are netted up, given a whallop and left for the birds. I was thinking it would be interesting to try and eat one instead. That's interesting about cleaning a fish with fresh water, they are in a large pond which only stays clean(ish) so long as the lilis are alive. I really know nothing of fish, as the taste doesn't appeal much. I was just thinking if SHTF full time that's quite a lot of fish. Thanks YB!
The Following User Says Thank You to arrexian For This Useful Post:
Old 03-20-2008, 02:09 PM
Survivor

Awards Showcase

Go for it and try one. Let us all know about it.

You'll have to de-scale it after killing it.
Carp have very large scales and you don't want to eat them.

Take a knife and scrape from tale to head. Do this outside! Fish scales get everywhere!!!!

You might want to fillet it and then skin the fillets.

Cook the fillets whichever way you like. Check out Chinese/Vietnamese recipes, although the Polish bake their carp whole at Christmas time.

Free protein is very valuable, you're very lucky.

If you want to fish for them with a rod and line, let me know and I can advise you on what you will need.

YB
The Following User Says Thank You to Yorkshire Boy For This Useful Post:
Old 03-20-2008, 02:39 PM
Prof. Eustance McGargle

Some koi are going for big bucks. People are actually some of them for like $5000 +. SO...do some research on what kind those are before you kill the goose that laid the golden egg.
Old 03-20-2008, 02:52 PM
Prof. Eustance McGargle

http://www.thekoifarm.com/

Saw one for $3,500 on this sight. Put that fillet knife DOWN before you eat some expensive sushi. These little buggers could finance your hobby.

http://www.eldon-koi.com/ Another one for $3900 on this sight.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Barbarossa For This Useful Post:
Old 03-20-2008, 03:22 PM
ruralist

Unfortunetly its my father who reels in the dollar from the koi. Although given the costs and labour put into digging the pond, about 10 years back, there's no way he broke even yet. Feeding them ain't cheap either! As I said only boring small ones (he knows which ones) get netted. BTW you can only imagine how gutted (pun) my father is to see a local herron take Koi every other week.. that bird is a serious sushi connaisseur! I should stop by and at least take some pics/vid for you fish lovers
Old 03-20-2008, 03:25 PM
Survivor

Awards Showcase

Is it possible to put a net over the pond/lake? This would stop the fish eating birds.
Old 03-20-2008, 03:33 PM
ruralist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yorkshire Boy View Post
Is it possible to put a net over the pond/lake? This would stop the fish eating birds.
There's net over half of the pond. Half only because it ruins the natural look of the pond. In this half the adults stay. In the other half (accessible by a small gap under a bridge) newborns tend to swim into, which gives a better look at their quality in shallower water. It's here where they are nailed. However on many occasions a medium to adult fish fits the bridge gap and goes loose in the shallow area. This is a very attractive sight from a herron's viewpoint Arhhh, if only herron hunting were legal..

Sometimes ducks actually swim under the gap and plunge all day long. But I wonder if they are just eating the slime on the bottom, never seen a fish being swallowed by them.
Old 03-23-2008, 10:31 AM
ruralist

Stopped by this easter weekend, here's some photos for general koi farming infos;

(The netted side where adults stay)

(Lilis and some sort of reed are kept outside the pond in this basin filter. The water is cleaned naturally as it is pumped through it. At the moment the plants are all dead after the poor weather. Some wild birds also eat them)

(However in a hut just alongside the pond is this pumping room, which does the main cleaning/oxygenizing job)

Haven't eaten one yet!
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to arrexian For This Useful Post:
Old 03-26-2008, 06:32 PM
Freestater

That's a nice little setup.
Old 04-13-2008, 09:18 PM
barking at the moon

first off home grown koi arnt really worth that much, it costs alot to feed and electricity for pumping water i.e. no power, fish die in about 10 hours depending on the size of pond and density of the fish. really high dollar koi are mostly from japan and really good ones demand sportscar prices, its about the size, shape , how the the patterns look , and will they improve in the next 5 years or so, breeders are like car dealers and the big names get high prices, most of the time they wont even show you the good fish unless you have been there 4 or 5 years prior. so in a shtf situation with no power they wont be arround that long anyway unless its a huge natural pond. first scale, then filet
ask your dad if hes hungry! mabey he has a good recipe . lots of small bones watch out.

ED
The Following User Says Thank You to stickdog For This Useful Post:
Old 04-20-2008, 12:38 PM
Target Shooter

wooooow, don't eat those fish koi are a form of carp and thus they taste like cra*. A well colored koi over 12" is worth big bucks. Sell them and buy supplies. In a survival situation or practice I have cooked a carp low and slow ( all day) removed the meat from the bones and made a passable fish cake (bread crumbs and lots of spices and an egg if you have it. Fry the cake in oil or bacon grease . But we are talking about a fish that is not worth the effort.

Grow some trout ,catfish or talapia , much tastier.
The Following User Says Thank You to ready1 For This Useful Post:
Old 04-27-2008, 06:08 PM
Survivor

Awards Showcase

Found this recipe.

Just a cut and paste, not my own idea sorry.

0.5 peel of small mandarin orange
1360 g whole carp, cleaned and scaled
10 g salt
30 g cornflour
475 ml sesame oil
20 g chopped garlic
50 ml dry sherry
15 g black bean sauce
30 ml soy sauce
10 g white sugar
90 ml chicken stock

Soak the orange peel in warm water for 20 minutes or until it is soft. Drain, and rinse the peel under running water. Squeeze out extra liquid. Chop the peel and set aside.
Make 3 or 4 slashes on either side of the fish and rub the fish with salt. Sprinkle the fish on both sides with cornstarch.
Heat oil in a frying pan or wok. When the oil is hot, deep fry the fish on both sides for approximately 4 to 6 minutes per side; both sides of the fish should be browned. Remove the fish from the pan and let it drain on paper towels
Dispense of all but 2 tablespoons of the oil (leave that oil in the pan or wok). Bring the oil back to a high heat, mix in the orange peel, garlic, ginger, and scallions. Stir fry for 30 seconds. Add sherry, bean sauce, soy sauce, sugar and chicken stock. Mix well, then add the fish to the mixture. Cover and let cook for 8 minutes. Serve immediately.
Old 04-29-2008, 06:12 PM
Survivor

Awards Showcase

And another from youtube.
Looks tasty.
Old 08-04-2008, 03:38 PM
DIY RPG's

Thanked 1,157 Times in 556 Posts

i was wondering if koi could be eaten myself. so has any one eaten any koi yet?
Old 08-04-2008, 04:18 PM
I drink your milkshake!

Fresh Water fish can carry parasites and virus's that can survive in your fresh-water based human body. That is why you don't see raw sushi made from freshwater animals. Whatever you catch, make certain you cook it really well to kill off any parasites, or else you may find some rare hook-worm burrowing into your brain!
The Following User Says Thank You to Rutger For This Useful Post:
Old 08-17-2008, 12:31 AM
Prepared

Ate carp out at Lake Mohave once while kayak camping. A little oily but not too bad.
Old 08-17-2008, 12:03 PM

My father, brothers and I use to catch tons carp in upstate NY rivers in the 70s and early 80s. We use to bleed them out before cooking or smoking. I don't know if bleeding is needed with the Koi but thought I would mention it since they are in the carp family.
Old 08-17-2008, 12:14 PM
Hiker

Quote:
Originally Posted by thecrazyman View Post
Ate carp out at Lake Mohave once while kayak camping. A little oily but not too bad.
Lake Mojave,when i lived in CA we used to go there,we used to catch the suckers and carp for fun,i cleaned one of the carp,but they seemed really bony,there didnt seem to be much meat compared to how big the fish was,anyway people do eat them,but i did not care for them,to many bones.