Survivalist Forum

Advertise Here

Go Back   Survivalist Forum > Firearms and Other Weapons Forum > Firearms General Discussion > Rifle Forum
Articles Chat Room Classifieds Donations Gallery Groups Links Store Survival Files

Advertise Here

Old 02-01-2010, 03:07 PM
Recent Blog:
Happy to be here!

Thanked 8,476 Times in 2,052 Posts
Awards Showcase
Outstanding Gardening Post or Thread Outstanding Firearms Post 
Total Awards: 2
Default Marlin 60 review W/ Pics

Advertise Here

Let me preface this thread by saying I don't know much about .22 rifles, and I'm not a very good shot. When I decided to buy my first new .22 for target practice and small game hunting, I did all the research I could. For about $280 total, I purchased this Marlin 60, Bushnell 3x9 .22 scope, and a nice set of Burris rings.

It's a semi auto, stainless steel tube fed rifle. The tube magazine holds 15 shots. The barrel seems almost like a bull configuration, as it's very beefy. It has a bolt hold open feature that lets you know when the guns run dry. The cross bolt safety is located behind the trigger. The rifle comes from the factory with a dove tail cut out atop the receiver for mounting the scope.

After tightening everything down, I zeroed the rifle at 50 yards with this ammo.

Here's a pic of my high dollar, laser range finder and the target I will be shooting at. The green square on the piece of copy paper is exactly 4 square inches. I drew an approximately 1/2 inch black dot in the center of the green square to give me a point of aim.

After dialing it in, I printed my first 15 shot group at 50 yards. I chose 50 yards because it suits the trajectory of the .22, and it's the typical small game hunting distance for Florida.

I made some adjustments to the scope setting, and fired another 15 rounds.

Looks good to me! Definitely squirrel killing material. So just for fun, I back up to 100 yards and fire another 15 shots. Using the high velocity ammunition, I end up with roughly a 5 - 6 inch drop from point of aim. All this shooting reminded me why I was never a sniper in the Army. It's very frustrating watching my cross hairs bobbling all over the target despite my best efforts.

Marlin 60 likes- Seems pretty accurate for a stock gun, but I don't have a good basis for comparison since it's my first scoped .22. I loved the price. I got the gun, scope and rings for the price of a Ruger 10-22 without a scope or rings. I haven't had a single jam in over 500 rounds, and I haven’t cleaned it yet. Being in Florida, I love the stainless steel option. The Monty Carlo stock is very comfortable for scoped shooting.

Marlin 60 dislikes- I hate the cheesy plastic front site. No sling attachment points. The Monty Carlo stock is a bit uncomfortable to shoot without a scope. As I have said, this is my first scoped .22. I can't stand the dove tail scope mount most of these .22 rifles use. They seem flimsy to me, but what do I know. I just wish there was a more robust scope mount option.
The Following 16 Users Say Thank You to WILL For This Useful Post:
Old 02-01-2010, 03:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by WILL View Post
Let me preface this thread by saying I don't know much about .22 rifles, and I'm not a very good shot. When I decided to buy my first new .22 for target practice and small game hunting, I did all the research I could. For about $280 total, I purchased this Marlin 60, Bushnell 3x9 .22 scope, and a nice set of Burris rings.

It's a semi auto, stainless steel tube fed rifle. The tube magazine holds 15 shots. The barrel seems almost like a bull configuration, as it's very beefy. It has a bolt hold open feature that lets you know when the guns run dry. The cross bolt safety is located behind the trigger. The rifle comes from the factory with a dove tail cut out atop the receiver for mounting the scope.

After tightening everything down, I zeroed the rifle at 50 yards with this ammo.

Here's a pic of my high dollar, laser range finder and the target I will be shooting at. The green square on the piece of copy paper is exactly 4 square inches. I drew an approximately 1/2 inch black dot in the center of the green square to give me a point of aim.

After dialing it in, I printed my first 15 shot group at 50 yards. I chose 50 yards because it suits the trajectory of the .22, and it's the typical small game hunting distance for Florida.

I made some adjustments to the scope setting, and fired another 15 rounds.

Looks good to me! Definitely squirrel killing material. So just for fun, I back up to 100 yards and fire another 15 shots. Using the high velocity ammunition, I end up with roughly a 5 - 6 inch drop from point of aim. All this shooting reminded me why I was never a sniper in the Army. It's very frustrating watching my cross hairs bobbling all over the target despite my best efforts.

Marlin 60 likes- Seems pretty accurate for a stock gun, but I don't have a good basis for comparison since it's my first scoped .22. I loved the price. I got the gun, scope and rings for the price of a Ruger 10-22 without a scope or rings. I haven't had a single jam in over 500 rounds, and I havenít cleaned it yet. Being in Florida, I love the stainless steel option. The Monty Carlo stock is very comfortable for scoped shooting.

Marlin 60 dislikes- I hate the cheesy plastic front site. No sling attachment points. The Monty Carlo stock is a bit uncomfortable to shoot without a scope. As I have said, this is my first scoped .22. I can't stand the dove tail scope mount most of these .22 rifles use. They seem flimsy to me, but what do I know. I just wish there was a more robust scope mount option.

Looks like you did yourself "VERY" well. Very well indeed. Nice looking groups too. I bet you would tighten those groups up "ALOT" if you tried some different ammo. Get yourself some CCI's
The Following User Says Thank You to J1Q For This Useful Post:
Old 02-01-2010, 03:18 PM
Survivor

Thanked 2,823 Times in 1,753 Posts

What I like about the marlin rifles is their weight. They weigh a bit more than other rifles. It seems to duplicate the balance and feel of a centerfire rifle when trying to shoot offhand. It just seems those lightweight 22lr rifles are a bit too easy to shoot offhand. Most other 22lr's don't represent typical offhand groups you would get with a larger caliber rifle.

That spring ejector looks flimsy to me too, but has never caused a problem yet. Maybe shot only 500 rounds out of that rifle.
The Following User Says Thank You to sailinghudson25 For This Useful Post:
Old 02-01-2010, 03:19 PM
Hiker

That's a great little rifle. As for the no sling attachments - I just drilled some holes in my stock last week, put some Uncle Mike's posts in and attached a leather sling.
The Following User Says Thank You to JoeInSTL For This Useful Post:
Old 02-01-2010, 03:52 PM
Boolit Master

Thanked 1,026 Times in 562 Posts

I have pretty much the same setup but mine is in blue,mine shoots the Rem. bulk but not very accurately and it's a bit dirty,try some different ammo it will shoot better accuracy wise. With some quality ammo you should be able to pick off empty 12 ga. hulls standing up at 100 yds. with no problems.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to res45 For This Useful Post:
Old 02-01-2010, 04:09 PM
Survivor

Thanked 2,504 Times in 1,439 Posts

Nice lookin Marlin ya got there Will

Thanks for sharing the pics, and your report/impression of this rifle.

Who knows what your rifle will really like in terms of ammunition. The fun part is while your tryin out different loads. Buy a little of this.....a little of that, and have some fun with it.
Great times for the whole family.

11B
The Following User Says Thank You to fragout For This Useful Post:
Old 02-01-2010, 04:15 PM
SquiddusMaximus (Retired)

Thanked 3,113 Times in 1,340 Posts

Good on ya Will. I have a blued Model 60 and love it. I wish I could find a smaller youth sized stock for it for my wife that wasn't $$$. You have made a sound investment in a very reliable firearm in my opinion.

My "kids"

L to R: IAC Hawk 921 12 g pump (870 clone), Marlin 60, M1 Garand (June 1945), Stevens-Savage 322a (1947) .22 Hornet w/ 2x5 Weaver Scope)

The only thing I've found is that if you fire somewhat "dirty" powder or a lot of anything just having fun plinking is that I have to take some extra time in cleaning all the nooks and crannies of the firing mechanism.

Again, nice!
Old 02-02-2010, 07:15 AM
I'd rather be Jeeping...

Good choice, Will. Boyd's Guns Stocks is currently making a limited run of their thumb hole stocks for the M60. I just bought a couple. They are unfinished, about $50 each. You might want to check them out before they are all gone. They are making only 200 of them. I'm not affiliated in any way, just happen to like their stocks.

www.boydsgunstocks.com/

~JohnP
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to JohnP For This Useful Post:
Old 02-02-2010, 03:25 PM
Recent Blog:
Happy to be here!

Awards Showcase

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnP View Post
Good choice, Will. Boyd's Guns Stocks is currently making a limited run of their thumb hole stocks for the M60. I just bought a couple. They are unfinished, about $50 each. You might want to check them out before they are all gone. They are making only 200 of them. I'm not affiliated in any way, just happen to like their stocks.

www.boydsgunstocks.com/

~JohnP
Thanks for the advice. I'm very happy with the factory Montey Carlo stock now that the scope's mounted. It fits well.
Old 03-16-2010, 09:37 AM
audentes fortuna iuvat

Thanked 1,016 Times in 385 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnP View Post

www.boydsgunstocks.com/

~JohnP
Can you post a link to the exact location of the stock for the Marlin 60? I cannot seem to find the stock that fits the 60 on that site. Thanks.
Old 03-19-2010, 08:53 PM
Trapper

I have a J.C. Higgins that is very similar to that except the stock is two pieces. Most incredibly accurate gun I've ever shot. I've hit pennies with it at 60 yards. Of course with a 3-12x scope, but still it was consistent.
The Following User Says Thank You to AKman For This Useful Post:
Old 03-19-2010, 09:40 PM
Calmez vers le bas

Thanked 22,932 Times in 9,021 Posts
Awards Showcase
Outstanding Firearms Post 
Total Awards: 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thedishdoc View Post
Can you post a link to the exact location of the stock for the Marlin 60? I cannot seem to find the stock that fits the 60 on that site. Thanks.
They have one up for bid on ebay....

http://cgi.ebay.com/Marlin-Boyds-Sto...item3efdf77a5b

It is not my auction, for those that may be wondering....

Nice looking stock though!
Old 03-19-2010, 09:51 PM
Recent Blog:
Hunter

just think how good the groups wopuld be without the scope
The Following User Says Thank You to manyholes For This Useful Post:
Old 04-16-2010, 10:14 AM

nice pics' and nice gun..I never cared for the stainless for the one reason is that it would show up good if the light hit it just right and give your position away, but you living in a salt air enviroment, it makes good sense..I also like the tube feed..that in itself show eliminate it from from a govt band/confiscation from what I have been reading and hearing rumors on
The Following User Says Thank You to azurevirus For This Useful Post:
Old 04-16-2010, 11:52 AM
Tree-hugger amongst you

Quote:

Is that one of the bullets resting in the pallet wood?
Old 04-16-2010, 11:55 AM
Recent Blog:
Happy to be here!

Awards Showcase

Quote:
Originally Posted by veganfarmer View Post
Is that one of the bullets resting in the pallet wood?
No sir. My son also shoots it with his Red Rider b.b. gun. I believe that's what you're seeing.
The Following User Says Thank You to WILL For This Useful Post:
Old 04-16-2010, 12:50 PM
Tree-hugger amongst you

Quote:
No sir. My son also shoots it with his Red Rider b.b. gun. I believe that's what you're seeing.
I see the BB off to the right, but was wondering about the middle of the green, to the right of the bullseye.
The Following User Says Thank You to veganfarmer For This Useful Post:
Old 04-16-2010, 02:32 PM
Walking methane refinery

Thanked 104,869 Times in 33,596 Posts
Awards Showcase
Outstanding Member 

I've always had a soft spot for the Marlin Model 60. Great, reliable, accurate, affordable gun. It's one of the underrated jewels. I used to love Remington's Nylon 66 for the same reason. But for whatever reason, they stopped making it. I hope Marlin never stops making the Model 60.
The Following User Says Thank You to MikeK For This Useful Post:
Old 04-16-2010, 02:36 PM
Three Rings in Five Years

Thanked 28,300 Times in 14,859 Posts
Awards Showcase
Top Poster 

WILL,

Althought I've mostly shot 10-22's, the M60 is a nice little rifle. The scoped set up in stainless looks really nice. I got a chance to shot one several years ago and at 75 yards, we were knocking the daylights out of pine cones.

Thanks for the great review.
The Following User Says Thank You to SgtBooker44 For This Useful Post:
Old 04-16-2010, 09:16 PM
Recent Blog:
Wanderer

Thanked 2,621 Times in 1,376 Posts

Thanks for a good review and congratulations on getting a quality rifle that will last for many years. Good groups, too.
I have 10/22's and M-60's and M-70's, all blued. The Marlins outshoot the Ruger handily, and take down easier to clean. I also like the tubular magazine, but beginners need to know that when unloading it a round will occassionaly hang up at the chamber end of the tube and the rifle will not be unloaded when you think it is. Slings are easy to put on, no problem.
My rifles seem to like the Federal bulk pack ammo over the Remmie bulk packs. Give them a try. CCI's are really good, too.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to EdD270 For This Useful Post: