Survivalist Forum

Advertise Here

Go Back   Survivalist Forum > Firearms and Other Weapons Forum > Firearms General Discussion > Rifle Forum
Articles Chat Room Classifieds Donations Gallery Groups Links Store Survival Files

Notices

Advertise Here

Old 01-29-2010, 11:31 PM
Survivor

Thanked 2,499 Times in 1,437 Posts
Default Shooters log for your rifle ?

Advertise Here

Does anyone here keep a shooters log for any of thier rifles? I would be interested in how you organize it, what kind of information you log, and any other information you care to share regarding this?

11B
Old 01-30-2010, 12:22 AM

I have two guns that I keep specific logs for. The first is a standard Creedmoor log book that I maintain for a RRA NM AR-15 that I shoot in Service Rifle competition. It's really nothing more than DATE, # ROUNDS FIRED, CUMULAITIVE # ROUNDS, and NOTEs concerning what cleaning/maintnance I did on the rifle. I keep a data book on the line and this is where I record things like location of match, temperature, type of ammo (I reload so I just refer to bullet weight/powder type and grains), zero, the location of shots, where I called the shot, mirage conditions, etc. When I marry these two books together it gives a pretty detailed life of that gun and how I was shooting. I keep a detailed reloading log as well that consists of a standard issue GSA green hardcover notebook. Sometimes I'll include notes in the reloading logbook regarding load performance.

The other is a U.S. Tactical Supply Sniper Data Book for a Remington 700 .308 5R that is my long range tactical, hunting, and (soon) F-Class FTR gun. I was initially going to use a Sinclair Long Range Data Book but I bought the Sniper Data Book because it had a number of useful tools for mil-dot range estimation, bullet drop for the most prolific .308 match rounds, and plenty of room to record zeros, target data, round counts, cleaning, etc. It's a well designed data book but there is a lot of stuff I'll probably never use, like moving target data and observation logs. Once I start shooting F-Class with this thing I'll transfer all of the data to the Sinclair book.

Bottom line, if you want to keep track of a precision rifles performance you should keep a log book. It's certainly not neccesary for most guns, most people will never fire enough rounds to truly effect its accuracy. I own around 40 guns but I only keep logs on the two I mentioned. In addition, I would keep a log book on your shooting. Analyzing what has, and hasn't, worked for me as recorded right after a match or informal shooting session has been a huge help in my marksmanship pursuits.

You can buy some a lot of predesigned books or you can make your own, either way I encourage you to do so. Think of it as doing an AAR with yourself and your equipment and recording the results.
The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to Longrifle6 For This Useful Post:
Old 01-30-2010, 12:48 AM
Darting from the shadows

Thanked 6,480 Times in 2,812 Posts
Awards Showcase
Outstanding Helpful Post 
Total Awards: 1

Sort of, I only have one .270 rifle so I record more so the ammo details, but it allows me to keep a track of how many rounds have been fired and what round gives the best accuracy.
The Following User Says Thank You to Te Hopo For This Useful Post:
Old 01-30-2010, 01:00 AM
Survivor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Longrifle6 View Post
I have two guns that I keep specific logs for. The first is a standard Creedmoor log book that I maintain for a RRA NM AR-15 that I shoot in Service Rifle competition. It's really nothing more than DATE, # ROUNDS FIRED, CUMULAITIVE # ROUNDS, and NOTEs concerning what cleaning/maintnance I did on the rifle. I keep a data book on the line and this is where I record things like location of match, temperature, type of ammo (I reload so I just refer to bullet weight/powder type and grains), zero, the location of shots, where I called the shot, mirage conditions, etc. When I marry these two books together it gives a pretty detailed life of that gun and how I was shooting. I keep a detailed reloading log as well that consists of a standard issue GSA green hardcover notebook. Sometimes I'll include notes in the reloading logbook regarding load performance.

The other is a U.S. Tactical Supply Sniper Data Book for a Remington 700 .308 5R that is my long range tactical, hunting, and (soon) F-Class FTR gun. I was initially going to use a Sinclair Long Range Data Book but I bought the Sniper Data Book because it had a number of useful tools for mil-dot range estimation, bullet drop for the most prolific .308 match rounds, and plenty of room to record zeros, target data, round counts, cleaning, etc. It's a well designed data book but there is a lot of stuff I'll probably never use, like moving target data and observation logs. Once I start shooting F-Class with this thing I'll transfer all of the data to the Sinclair book.

Bottom line, if you want to keep track of a precision rifles performance you should keep a log book. It's certainly not neccesary for most guns, most people will never fire enough rounds to truly effect its accuracy. I own around 40 guns but I only keep logs on the two I mentioned. In addition, I would keep a log book on your shooting. Analyzing what has, and hasn't, worked for me as recorded right after a match or informal shooting session has been a huge help in my marksmanship pursuits.

You can buy some a lot of predesigned books or you can make your own, either way I encourage you to do so. Think of it as doing an AAR with yourself and your equipment and recording the results.
Thanks for your input. I have kept a shooters log on my primary rifle for yrs now. I have been trying to refine it over the years, with the object of keeping it intact. I like your idea of keeping it seperated, and pulling them together for later analysis however.
I also use different optics on one rifle, and maintain a log for the optic specifically. ( One of the optics is a PVS 4, so I have a special segment here that covers light conditions as well. Time, cloud conditions, moonlight, artifical light, etc....) It's a work in progress.
We think very much alike, and the data I record is treated as an AAR.

11B
The Following User Says Thank You to fragout For This Useful Post:
Old 01-30-2010, 05:42 AM
Survivor

Thanked 2,802 Times in 1,753 Posts

I store duplicates of the same rifle. It's pretty wise to have a log in that situation. Daily entry includes number of rounds, any adjustment to sight, problems occured. I always clean after using because it may sit in the safe for awhile. As of yet, I do not have specific "this one is mine" rifle. I keep nice groups shot with that rifle too. Just to represent the capability of it.

I also use tape to keep track of my guns. I store my guns in gun socks. The ones ready for use get a bron piece of tape wrapped over the sock. The ones that need some sort of repair get red tape. The ones that are not accurate or still need sight adjust or more testing get green tape.
The Following User Says Thank You to sailinghudson25 For This Useful Post:
Old 01-30-2010, 10:16 AM

Quote:

Well, i don't really guess there's any reason to type what i was going to, because well, you just took the words out of my mouth Longrifle. Longrifle, it sounds like you do almost to the T what i do. LOL, Good Job Man!!!
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to J1Q For This Useful Post:
Old 02-26-2010, 11:16 PM
Trapper

A really cheap round data bound book can be had at Walmart for .77. It is a small black and white marble colored book called a Composition book. 160 pages of data can be stored.
I get these maybe half a dozen at a time and in the upper left corner I drill a hole with a hole puncher from a printing shop I was given. I next cut a 16" piece of mason's twine (50 lb test) in a loop and run through hole. It will look and lock (prussick knot) around bolt knob, barrel, scope, sling swivel and stay with rifle. I have these for most all my rifles and record running data. I figure one of these books is good for a couple barrels.
The Following User Says Thank You to Hummer For This Useful Post:
Old 02-27-2010, 12:37 AM
Young Adult

I just keep my targets and write on the back the
ammo used
gun
shooting position
weather
range
type of sight/optic
The Following User Says Thank You to surviver94 For This Useful Post:
Old 02-27-2010, 12:51 AM
On Point

Perhaps this might help you make one.
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Maddux For This Useful Post:
Old 02-27-2010, 09:03 AM
Marine Engineer

Thanked 2,160 Times in 985 Posts

i keep a log for my target rifles
contains load development info, and i document everyrounds performance, noting eviromental conditions, i also list the scope dope for each bullet, cleanings, round count,
The Following User Says Thank You to matty86suk For This Useful Post:
Old 03-01-2010, 03:15 PM
11B3P

Quote:
Originally Posted by fragout View Post
Thanks for your input. I have kept a shooters log on my primary rifle for yrs now. I have been trying to refine it over the years, with the object of keeping it intact. I like your idea of keeping it seperated, and pulling them together for later analysis however.
I also use different optics on one rifle, and maintain a log for the optic specifically. ( One of the optics is a PVS 4, so I have a special segment here that covers light conditions as well. Time, cloud conditions, moonlight, artifical light, etc....) It's a work in progress.
We think very much alike, and the data I record is treated as an AAR.

11B
Brother, you use a PVS-4 on your personal weapon? You must love the old school style, I hated carrying that thing.

Regarding your question, I HAVE kept a sniper data book but on my Rem 700 I have, I use it rarely and that is on deer under 100 yds. No data book for me as of yet.

I do not think it is a bad thing to keep the book. If I reloaded rifle ammo or used my weapon often I would definitely monitor round count, cold bore shot, and ammo/reloads preferred. Good job on staying dedicated on your data book.

11B3P
The Following User Says Thank You to Austin Milbarge For This Useful Post:
Old 03-02-2010, 07:59 AM
Survivor

Thanked 5,196 Times in 3,095 Posts

I keep a dual log--one of the loads I'm shooting and the other on the rifle...

Record load data on target and number target, shoot, record results of target number (climatic as well) in rifle book and load book, store target in folder...at end of shooting session record data into self written Excel program on computer...

Attached to side of butt, just with clear tape, is a drop chart and slope formula...

My sniper's log was just a school notebook with all the formulae and dimensions hand written within like the T.R.G.T. log book above, along with what various things looked like in my scope and out at various ranges...

There is a misprint in the T.R.G.T. book -- in Common Measurements a 55 gal barrel/drum is not 12" x 15"...
The Following User Says Thank You to SeekHer For This Useful Post:
Old 03-02-2010, 08:28 PM

Quote:
Brother, you use a PVS-4 on your personal weapon? You must love the old school style, I hated carrying that thing.
LOL I haven't thought about the AN/PVS-4 in a long time. I used to hate carrying it as well. Even worse was the AN/PVS-5. Remember the hard case that thing came in? We were required to take the hard case to the field with us....effectively cutting the room in my ALICE pack in half. Man, we have come a long way!
The Following User Says Thank You to Longrifle6 For This Useful Post:
Old 03-03-2010, 02:36 PM
Survivor

Quote:
LOL I haven't thought about the AN/PVS-4 in a long time. I used to hate carrying it as well. Even worse was the AN/PVS-5. Remember the hard case that thing came in? We were required to take the hard case to the field with us....effectively cutting the room in my ALICE pack in half. Man, we have come a long way!

i'm currently evaluating a 3gen 4x Raptor NVS, and will most likely phase out the PVS-4, permitting that the Raptor proves itself. NVS is just one system I use, but I like to keep a log for it, so that I can look back through it for comparisons vs the Raptor.
Also use PVS-14's

11B
Old 03-03-2010, 07:54 PM

PVS-14s are a great piece of kit, I'd love to get one.
Old 03-07-2010, 05:54 PM
Recent Blog:
Tuefel Hunden

Thumbs up Shooters log for your rifle ?

Quote:
guns that I keep specific logs for....

Great, similarly I log my base info, (ie factory loaded) and range info and also my hand loaded rounds.
Old 03-10-2010, 11:31 PM
11B3P

Quote:
Yes we had to have the hard carrying case for awhile but we went to the green soft cases after awhile. I hated carrying that thing when I was an M 60 gunner. They were so old and foged up, they were practically useless. I also hated that awkward mount of the feed cover of my 60. Sometimes, the mounts would mysteriously get "lost" on a deployment so we would not have to mount our PVS-4's. Of course I paid in pushups later on but it only made me stronger.

Quote:
Originally Posted by fragout View Post
i'm currently evaluating a 3gen 4x Raptor NVS, and will most likely phase out the PVS-4, permitting that the Raptor proves itself. NVS is just one system I use, but I like to keep a log for it, so that I can look back through it for comparisons vs the Raptor.
Also use PVS-14's

11B
Are the PVS 14's the monocular? The last thing we used were PVS 7's with the goofy head harness. That was before they figured out a good helmet mount, when we had to wear our KPot over top of it.
I really liked the PVS 7's when we used them with our old PAQ 4's. We used to shoot vampire bats with them on the ranges in Panama.
Good times.