Survivalist Forum

Advertise Here

Go Back   Survivalist Forum > Firearms and Other Weapons Forum > Knives, Swords & Axes
Articles Chat Room Classifieds Donations Gallery Groups Links Store Survival Files

Notices

Knives, Swords & Axes Survival knives, multi-tools, gerber, buck, cold steel, leather man.....

Advertise Here

Old 02-19-2012, 09:36 PM

Default I recently got two sharpeners

Advertise Here

I got the 4Sided Diamond Sharpener from HarborFreight for ~$13.00 and the Fallkniven DC4 Diamond/Ceramic Whetstone Knife Sharpener for ~$27 US and then I got a Strop with both rough & fine leather.

My knives are way sharper now.
Old 02-24-2012, 07:37 PM

Hi guys, here is what I use and how I use it. And this is also my first post but I've been viewing the board for sometime.

http://www.dtknives.com/Sharpening%20and%20Care.html
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Dan308 For This Useful Post:
Old 03-16-2012, 05:57 AM
Hunter

Thanked 1,074 Times in 566 Posts

I definitely have to read through this thread to figure out how to sharpen my knife I carry in my survival pack. It is the kind of knife issued to pilots in the military. I have tried to sharpen it in the past but was probably not using a good stone or doing it correctly. I have something similar to this:

click here
Old 03-21-2012, 04:29 PM
Prepared

seems like no matter what i use i cant make a knife sharp to save my life
Old 03-23-2012, 02:15 AM

I have always wanted an edgepro, but as of right now, dont want to spend the 200 dollars + on it. I saw a clone on ebay and bought that. It actually works really good. I took the lowest grit stone and rubber cemented it to a piece of stropping leather. I use the clone set for stropping mainly, since I already had a lansky diamond set. But the edgepro, or its clone feels so much better since you get much longer strokes and a wider stone. Makes stropping easier too.
Old 03-25-2012, 07:42 PM

I have a Lansky set I've used for years with good results, also some Arkansas stones and Japanese water stones. I like the stones for flat grinds.

I got a Work Sharp Knife and Tool as a gift about a month ago. I thought it was a little gimmicky at first, but it has a quick learning curve and gives a very nice convex edge in a short time. I've sharpened and in some cases re-profiled everything from filet knives to Chinese boning knives, serrated knives, all sorts of pocket knives, a crappy harbor freight axe, etc. Probably about 150 knives from around my family with lots of good results. It's basically a 12" slack belt grinder with angle guides. I priced it out online at about a hundred bucks for the tool (brand new w/ a warranty), guides, a few sets of belts (less than a buck apiece), and a belt cleaner. --Downsides-- it doesn't do flat bevels, needs a plug, and will round your tips if you're not paying attention. I'll stick to the stones for chisels and planes, but this is my new favorite toy for most knives.

I use black and green compounds on a leather strop to finish all my convex edges. Cheers.
Old 05-13-2012, 02:04 PM
Hiker

Whats a good sharpener for a convex edge? I have a Fallkniven F1 that needs a touch up.
Old 06-11-2012, 12:17 PM

if i could figure out how to post a photo i'd be happy to show how i set up my lansky sharpener it works great as well i often use an old clay flower pot for finishing carbon steel knives. if you look invert the pot and it even gives you a good angle automatically. ioften use a black hard barbers stone when i can find one. having been a barber as well as agunsmith and on the farm when young i learned early how to sharpen. regards
Old 06-11-2012, 04:25 PM
Blame Canada.

Thanked 2,201 Times in 1,341 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by SeekHer View Post
Knife Sharpeners

Clamp Ons
The Razor’s Edge – What you judge a blade to be like after sharpening – simply the best…

Uprights
Warthog Knife System – Superb system that works…my wife prefers this one for kitchen blades...
CRKT Slide Sharp – Got it for Father’s Day and love its simplicity and gives a great edge…
TriAxe Knife Sharpeners – Superb system that works…my girls prefer this one for their hunting & fishing blades...
I like all three, prefer the CRKT for packing, Warthog for all blades but especially kitchen and the TriAxe for fishing fillet knives and thin hunting blades…
Boker has a system called the Vulkanus that works on the same principle, I've tried one and they work very well...
A.G. Russell – Croc Sticks work very well and the compact model is great for the hunting camp…work very well on larger blades...
Spyderco Site does not list the Upright Ceramic Sharpeners see AG Russell's site for info...

Sliders
Lansky – very easy to use and produces a very fine edge…numerous cheaper copies out there...
Edge Pro - Reviewed below

Manuals & Electric
Edgecraft – manual systems work good, electric are excellent for kitchen blades…
Firestone Sharpeners – Some of the best manual hold style I’ve ever used…

Touch Ups
Accusharp – Quick touch ups but rough edge…
Rada Quick Edge - reviewed below by Screaming Eagle...
Smith Abrasives – Another quick touch up and good handhelds…
Sterling Sharpeners - Key chain version that works well in survival kits, handy, cheap, small, light, strong--Great unit...

Stones
DMT – Diamond Abrasives
Hall’s Arkansas Oilstones
Norton- Tristone System
Smith's Abrasives - Tristone

Info
Steve’s sharpening made easy…
Tom Veff Sharpening Services

Most of the knife companies have a one or two stone sharpening kit with oil that are reasonably priced and work quite well...

The best deals on bench stones are usually found in woodworking stores like Woodcraft and Garrett Wade or the Canadian Lee Valley Tools and others as well in DMT Diamond or Arkansas or the recent Japanese Water stones which are unbelievable for finishing edges...

They all take a lot of time to master the technique of the proper angle, pressure and take a lot more time to finish a blade but once the learning curve is mastered, then the edges you'll get are supremely sharp!

There are various grits available...some have one grit on one side and a finer grit on the other...

There is a tri-stone system, whether in Diamond or Arkansas or a combination of both, one is made by Norton--most expensive set--, or by Smith's Abrasives (which I prefer) and Knife Art has a version as well...that comes in a plastic or wood container with a three sided holder for bench stones in three different grits (usually medium, hard & extra hard for final finishing) along with a bottle of oil comes in the kit...just pick up the holding device, rotate it to the grit you want and replace in the brackets...any excess oil just drips into the bottom tray...There are different versions and they'll come in two or three different sizes of stone lengths (maybe like 6", 8” or 10") and the smallest one is easily packed for a hunting trip...

If you’re going to buy bench stones this is, in my opinion, the best set up out there for convenience, cost, flexibility and portability…If you can find them buy them...Buck Knives has a version but is a little more expensive then the Smith's

Knife Supply
Knife Site
Cabela's

All have some good deals...

Dealers - Stones
Sticks & Stones
Japanese Water Stones
The Perfect Edge

One thing that I forgot…get a leather finishing strop to really put a final finish to the edge...best thing going for really smoothing out and polishing the blade…either a bench model--photo below--or the type that attached to a barber's chair, which I much prefer...

Brought to your attention by: KNOW THY ENEMY™©
Lansky's rock. I got the big set. Thats what I use in conjunction to my bench stones ti fix messed up knives at the house. I lube them with cooking oil. For out and around, its a Smiths diamond hone. Fine side coarse side.
The Following User Says Thank You to Vacas Locas For This Useful Post:
Old 06-14-2012, 02:29 AM
"Always Be Prepared"

Edge Pro will end all your searching! --at least it did for me.
After a little practice, you'll have razor sharp edges literally in minutes for all sizes, shapes and hardness of knives.
After a lot of research and checking ratings, especially on the knifeforums, I bit the bullet and boy am I glad I did.
I couldn't keep a consistent edge angle by hand or correct pressure, and I tried many systems, both free-hand and guided. But now the light has come on!
I would seriously do the research and not waste a lot of money on small parts that add up quickly to an overall system that is not so effective or still leaves you lacking the desired edge.
Here's just one example from knifeforums:
http://www.knifeforums.com/forums/sh...hp?tid/842092/
Old 07-10-2012, 06:20 PM

my finishing polisher is a overturned fired but not glazed red flower pot. after that i hit it with a tungsten welding rod that has no flux on it. it does a nice job of getting the edge right for me. the sharpening done to just get the edge to where this can take over is on arkansas stones. my hard black arkansas just got knocked off my puter table by grandkids a jumping around. i was careless and did'nt put it away and it;ll cost me about 60 to 100. bucks to replace. oh well. stuff happens.
Old 07-10-2012, 06:27 PM

Anyone know where to get info on The Razor’s Edge industrial sharpeners?[/quote]
razors edge work pretty good but you have to keep reapplying the compound and if sharpening at gunshows and other venues other systems are far better imho. a guy in missouri makes a decent sharpener using several belts and an angle guide i suspect is patterened after that of lansky type sharpener with a clamp to hold the blade. very similar to the old epg sharpening system. think his names brashears or something close regards. this is the guys link it's same as one he had and makes.
http://www.freewebs.com/thesharpshoponline/

Last edited by suthincomfort; 07-10-2012 at 06:38 PM.. Reason: adding some info. corrected some.
Old 07-19-2012, 09:31 PM

great info to know!
Old 07-27-2012, 07:41 AM
Recent Blog:
Target Shooter

I use a Work Sharp Knife & Tool Sharpener for most of my knives. http://www.worksharptools.com/sportsmans-sharpener.html
In the field I use a strop, and ceramic sticks for touch ups.

DomC
The Following User Says Thank You to DomC For This Useful Post:
Old 07-31-2012, 09:22 PM

I keep expanding my knife collection, but try to keep it within a reasonable budget.

Suddenly I realize that a lot of my knives have and edge that is not consistently sharp. Parts are a little dull and parts are somewhat sharp. Definitely, a result of sharpening it with a small sharpener.

I would like to get an inexpensive waterstone to sharpen my knives with a nice and wide waterstone "like a pro".

I keep hearing that one should not spend more than about $15 for a stone.

Sofar I struck out on getting any waterstone at hardware stores I've been to.

I think getting one online does not make much sense because stones are heavy and the shipping adds a significant amount, .

Could anyone kindly suggest where to get one at a local retailer?
The Following User Says Thank You to reason2 For This Useful Post:
Old 08-05-2012, 07:44 AM
Bravo Zulu

Thanked 10,844 Times in 5,175 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by reason2 View Post
Could anyone kindly suggest where to get one at a local retailer?
Not without knowing where you are? Southern Liberia, perhaps?
Old 08-15-2012, 03:40 AM

Talking

I use the lansky diamond sharpening system, it works OK but the whole system needs to be bigger to support larger knives, my clamp broke about the second time I used it, I managed to repair it but not ideal, the diamond sharpening hones are good though and sharpen the knives well, they are also a good handy size to put in your pack if you want to take one with you to give the blade a sharpen when you're out and about in the woods.

To keep my blade sharp in general and to give it a quick tickle up I use an accusharp knife sharpener, the type you just drag over the blade, these are excellent, I've had one for six years and its kept all the kitchen knives razor sharp, axes, shears etc.
Old 08-15-2012, 05:01 AM
Back to Basics

I use an EZE-LAP diamond hone for day to day touch ups and then maybe once a year I break out a Lansky sharpening set I was given years ago and reset the angles properly. They really do a nice job and can be used while watching TV with your feet up

Try using 50/50 dishwasher liquid/water instead of oil for your sharpening stones. It keeps them clean and they don't clog up as the oil gums and solidifies
Old 09-13-2012, 07:59 AM
Marksman/Survivalist

Thanks for all the info guys. I guess I need to just get a couple of different stones and just start going to work with them.
Old 10-26-2012, 10:02 AM

Default Kukri specifics?

I am looking into a good, low-budget sharpening stone set. I have many knives that need sharpening and I have a wusthof knife sharpener (fixed angle hand-held machine, and not ideal for non-kitchen knives in my opinion) and a sharpening steel, but I'd rather use an actual set of stones. This thread has given me a lot to think about and research, and for that I thank you.

Most specifically, a friend is sending me an imported gurkha kukri, and I want to know if there are any special considerations for sharpening it? Thanks for the help!

~Lion of Atreides