Survivalist Forum

Advertise Here

Go Back   Survivalist Forum > Firearms and Other Weapons Forum > Firearms General Discussion
Articles Chat Room Classifieds Donations Gallery Groups Links Store Survival Files

Firearms General Discussion Rifles, pistols, shotguns, scopes, grips and everything in between.

Advertise Here

Old 01-28-2010, 02:20 PM
Hunter

Thanked 2,338 Times in 909 Posts
Default Multiple calibers or duplicates of a single caliber?

Advertise Here

This is a question I have been debating in my head for a while.

I currently own, and stock ammo for, a 9mm pistol, an AR-15, a 12 gauge, a 22lr, and a 30-06.

If you owned those 5 guns, and were to buy more guns, would you prefer to buy different calibers, or buy duplicates of the same caliber?

If you bought different calibers your chances of acquiring usable ammo post-SHTF has increased since you have more options.

If you bought duplicates of your current calibers you would be able to spread your stocked ammo around to more friends/family/gunners/hunters since you have duplicates.

So, which would you pick, a variety of calibers, or multiples of the same caliber?
Old 01-28-2010, 02:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Enscheff View Post

I currently own, and stock ammo for, a 9mm pistol, an AR-15, a 12 gauge, a 22lr, and a 30-06.

If you owned those 5 guns, and were to buy more guns, would you prefer to buy different calibers, or buy duplicates of the same caliber?

If you bought different calibers your chances of acquiring usable ammo post-SHTF has increased since you have more options.

If you bought duplicates of your current calibers you would be able to spread your stocked ammo around to more friends/family/gunners/hunters since you have duplicates.

So, which would you pick, a variety of calibers, or multiples of the same caliber?
Well, i think it depends on your circumstances and the resources you have available at your disposal.

I would have to believe if you were relying on factory ammo that you had to go out to the store and buy, I myself would want to duplicate my weapons in that caliber so that i could spread it around. I mean if you start getting into oddball calibers (10mm, .338Lapua, .260 Remington, 7WSM, 6.5x47 etc..) then your going to have a darn hard time locating that ammo, and then you have yourself nothing more than a paperweight!!

Now, if you reload, then you open your options dramatically. Once you have your Dies, Brass, Bullets, Primers & Powder, you're good to go. You never have to worry about a "SHORTAGE". Even though i reload and i do have some oddball calibers, i still duplicate proven cartridges that perform well for me. (EXAMPLE) - I have (2) .300wsm, (Multiple) .223's and so on. Why? Because once i have all the items needed, i can load for them ALL.

So, it basically comes down to what is accessible to YOU!!
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to J1Q For This Useful Post:
Old 01-28-2010, 02:32 PM

I like the idea of keeping the number of calibers down, preferably to more common and available ammo.

I have .22 LR, .223, .40., .380 and 12 guage. Typically readily available, save the .380 which I don't shoot all that often. I think they are common and popular enough that finding or bartering with those calibers would be realistic if the gun stores closed down.

I have been tempted by a couple .308 firearms but that is a "common" caliber, too.

I wouldn't want to try to find 5.7 or 6.8 SPC ammo in a SHTF situation...you'd just have to make sure you had plenty of stock on hand.
The Following User Says Thank You to whitefall For This Useful Post:
Old 01-28-2010, 02:48 PM
Recent Blog:
I FEAR COWARDS MOST

Thanked 10,296 Times in 4,364 Posts

You look to have your bases pretty well covered.I would work on duplicates of what you already have and ammo to feed them.
The Following User Says Thank You to 2rugers For This Useful Post:
Old 01-28-2010, 03:24 PM

Aside from the calibers you mentioned, I might get something in .45 and 7.62x39. I know a ton of people that own AK's and SKS's and only a few that own AR's... of course, that could just be me and the people I know. I need to get me a Ruger 10/22 and some .22 ammo myself but I do have an AK47, a gas piston upper CMMG M4, an SKS, a .300WINMAG, a 9mm, and a .45 1911. I stock ammo for all of those.

I have to say, the main reason I say "get as .45" is 9mm is a hot round. Even if you have a billion hollow points, those things can go through-and-through, someone and fail to put them down on the first shot. With a .45, they go down, without question, in one shot, now matter what you use. I stock both GDHP's and FMJ (Federal) rounds and I practice at the range with both. I love my 1911 since it has a nice light recoil, it is more accurate than any other hand gun I have fired, it's durable as all hell, and it is VERY thin so carrying concealed is real easy. I have carried a 1911 on my hip everyday for the last 6 years and carried a Glock model 22 (.40) before that. It's a gun I trust my life with and I highly recommend you at least try one out at a range once or twice.
Old 01-28-2010, 03:32 PM
Sugar-free

Thanked 5,936 Times in 2,313 Posts

I think your bases are pretty well covered. I would stock up ammo for all of them and duplicate certain firearms. Especially the 9mm pistols, so everyone in your house could have a defensive arm.
Old 01-28-2010, 07:19 PM
cowardly survivalist

I have guns in .22LR, .22mag, .380, .38spcl, .357mag, 9x19, .357sig, 40s&w, .44mag, .45acp, .223, .25-06, 6.5x55, 7x57, .30 carbine, 7.62x39, 7.62x54r, .308, .30-06, 7.5x55, .303brit, 8x57, .45-70, and 12gauge ... and I'm sure I missed some on that list!!! i just recently dumped my 20gauge, & .35rem guns, so the wheedling down has begun!

I have pretty much given up on attempting standardization, but think I really could adapt to just having .22LR, .223, .308, .380, .45acp, & 12gauge for all purposes if finances and space required it. If I could add a high velocity .25 caliber rifle cartridge and high velocity .35 caliber pistol cartridge (.357mag or maybe .357Sig) to that list I could almost be happy about it

The surplus military longarm market destroyed any chance I had of standardized chamberings!! Stay away from that stuff, its far too addicting!
The Following User Says Thank You to bozar For This Useful Post:
Old 01-28-2010, 07:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bozar View Post
I have guns in .22LR, .22mag, .380, .38spcl, .357mag, 9x19, .357sig, 40s&w, .44mag, .45acp, .223, .25-06, 6.5x55, 7x57, .30 carbine, 7.62x39, 7.62x54r, .308, .30-06, 7.5x55, .303brit, 8x57, .45-70, and 12gauge ... and I'm sure I missed some on that list!!! i just recently dumped my 20gauge, & .35rem guns, so the wheedling down has begun!

I have pretty much given up on attempting standardization, but think I really could adapt to just having .22LR, .223, .308, .380, .45acp, & 12gauge for all purposes if finances and space required it. If I could add a high velocity .25 caliber rifle cartridge and high velocity .35 caliber pistol cartridge (.357mag or maybe .357Sig) to that list I could almost be happy about it

The surplus military longarm market destroyed any chance I had of standardized chamberings!! Stay away from that stuff, its far too addicting!
bozar, your arsenal put's a smile on my face
Old 01-29-2010, 06:00 PM
Sugar-free

Thanked 5,936 Times in 2,313 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by bozar View Post

I highlighted the best one!
Seriously, if ammo avalability were not an issue, and I had to have one do-it-all rifle, it would be a 6.5 Swede. What a sweetheart of a cartrige that one is. Flat shooting, accurate and real easy on the ears and shoulder. It's a dream.
Old 01-29-2010, 09:09 PM
Survivor

Thanked 2,502 Times in 1,439 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Enscheff View Post

My clan duplicates . We stock heavy on those calibers,( Primary) and also reload for them,(minus 22lr of course).......

A few reasons why.......
1. We dont keep all our eggs in one basket.
2. The "back up" is a virtual twin to the primary. (Same ammo, mags = same loadout in an individuals personal gear)
3. We buy in bulk, resulting in a discount vs buying a little ammo for each caliber, although we do this to some extent concerning "niche" calibers, such as 50BMG.
4. So far, it has been less time consuming to reach a high level of proficiency with one rifle, and one sidearm, then to break it up between multiple weapons of different types, and in different calibers.
5. Duplicates also share cleaning equitment, spare parts, and a bigger knowledge base within our group as it pertains to "tips" concerning the primaries.
6. We dont put much stock in the ability to somehow find ammo post SHTF. It is possible, but it would also be just as possible to "find" the weapons that are chambered in said ammo Bartering/trading might be possible after such an event occurred, but I still believe that just as many different guns will be offered as trading goods.......compared with ammuntion. I'd just as soon have it now, instead of worring about needing it later.

11B
The Following User Says Thank You to fragout For This Useful Post:
Old 01-29-2010, 09:45 PM
Target Shooter

Go deep then wide. Once you have a certain depth in stocks, you can afford to diversify.

If you reload you can take common caliber bullets and pick several different cartridges, for example the 7.62*54, .303 enfield, and even the 7.7 jap all use the same diameter bullet.
Old 01-29-2010, 11:14 PM
Aquaholic

Thanked 3,521 Times in 1,384 Posts
Awards Showcase
Outstanding Member 
Total Awards: 1

i started with a few calibers (.22 lr, 9mm, .223, 12 ga.), then added one at a time. however every caliber has at least three weapons chambered for it.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to badkarma For This Useful Post:
Old 01-30-2010, 12:03 AM
Nope.

Thanked 3,128 Times in 1,357 Posts

For my money, I'd say you have the basics down pat and should work on duplication. In fact, if you have the funds to do so, I'd suggest buying an exact duplicate of every gun your currently own. Having backups that can also be used as parts kits is a good thing. About the only other caliber I would add is maybe a backup handgun caliber (.380, .32ACP, .38 etc.).

Beyond that, don't forget how many options you have in those calibers...

9mm pistol? Check out carbines and revolvers
AR? Plenty of other options in .223/5.56 in rifles, and even pistols if you're feeling squirrely
12ga? Wow. So many options here.
.22LR? Arguably the most useful caliber in EOTW/SHTF. Get rifles. Get a single action .22LR/.22WMR, get a semi-auto pistol. In my opinion (and others), this is the one caliber in which you should have the most ammo stocked.
.30-06 Quite a few options here, but most of those options are pricey. Get at least a handloader for this caliber.

The handloader brings me to another point. Take a look into reloading if you haven't already. The more limited the range of calibers, the cheaper it will be to get started.

As fragout said, I wouldn't count on getting ammo from others either through trade or pickup. Much cheaper to buy in bulk for common calibers and you have that already.
The Following User Says Thank You to Tinfoil Hat For This Useful Post:
Old 01-30-2010, 10:19 AM
yeah THAT MrJim

Quote:
Originally Posted by fragout View Post
My clan duplicates . We stock heavy on those calibers,( Primary) and also reload for them,(minus 22lr of course).......

A few reasons why.......
1. We dont keep all our eggs in one basket.
2. The "back up" is a virtual twin to the primary. (Same ammo, mags = same loadout in an individuals personal gear)
3. We buy in bulk, resulting in a discount vs buying a little ammo for each caliber, although we do this to some extent concerning "niche" calibers, such as 50BMG.
4. So far, it has been less time consuming to reach a high level of proficiency with one rifle, and one sidearm, then to break it up between multiple weapons of different types, and in different calibers.
5. Duplicates also share cleaning equitment, spare parts, and a bigger knowledge base within our group as it pertains to "tips" concerning the primaries.
6. We dont put much stock in the ability to somehow find ammo post SHTF. It is possible, but it would also be just as possible to "find" the weapons that are chambered in said ammo Bartering/trading might be possible after such an event occurred, but I still believe that just as many different guns will be offered as trading goods.......compared with ammuntion. I'd just as soon have it now, instead of worring about needing it later.

11B
~this is great strategic planning.
The Following User Says Thank You to MrJim For This Useful Post:
Old 01-30-2010, 10:32 AM
Trapper

I have been wrestling with the idea of "standardizing" calibers for a couple of years, and I have pretty much done it. I am down to 22 lr, 223, 270 Win, 308, 30-30, and 9.3x62 for my long guns and 22 lr, 380, 9mm, 38/357, and 45 acp for my handguns. I load for all my rifle calibers except 22 lr, but I don't load for any of my pistol calibers. I also load for 243 and 6.5x55 but currently don't own guns in those calibers.

I am now making a conscious effort to only buy guns in the calibers that I load for, and with that range of caibers, it is not difficult to accomplish.
Old 01-30-2010, 11:19 AM

The AR will be the first banned if Obama and pals get their way,I'd get a duplicate for that first.In fact I'd get a few.The barter value for the AR is way up there.I just got a new transmission with an AR extra I had.
The cops and military use the AR so besides the fact ammo will be around, if some civilian/sheep see you with one they'll usually assume you're law enforcement and not a terrorist if you look clean cut.
Old 01-30-2010, 11:21 AM
preparing

i started off stockpiling duplicates of the same calibers and lots of ammo, accessories for those pistols and rifles. i even went so far as to stick with the same type of rifle so if one goes down i have a parts rifle/pistol

now that i feel fairly comfortable with my stockpile there i am now diversifying.
Old 01-30-2010, 06:28 PM
Dust of the Earth

I like duplicates of the same gun as well.... Spare parts.
Old 01-30-2010, 08:40 PM
Live Secret, Live Happy

Thanked 12,612 Times in 4,643 Posts

I owned more than 20 different rifle calibers before I even consider the issue. Of course I reload everything so ammo is not a problem.

I can't bring myself to actually sell anything, so I am rebarreling some of the actions to common calibers such as 270 win and 308 win. I am not letting go of the old barrels you understand. Never can tell when I might want to shoot my odd balls again.
Old 01-30-2010, 10:35 PM
Beans, Bullets & Bandages

Quote:
Originally Posted by badkarma View Post
i started with a few calibers (.22 lr, 9mm, .223, 12 ga.), then added one at a time. however every caliber has at least three weapons chambered for it.
Ditto here. Expect I stock 270 win also.

I do have a couple of mosin's but not sure what i want to do with them.

i own more weapons with other calbiers but do not stock for them.