Survivalist Forum

Advertise Here

Go Back   Survivalist Forum > Firearms and Other Weapons Forum > Firearms General Discussion > Pistol and Revolver Forum
Articles Chat Room Classifieds Donations Gallery Groups Links Store Survival Files

Advertise Here

Old 01-28-2010, 12:48 AM

Default What do you think about Ruger p95?

Advertise Here

I have owned glock 17 and sold it years ago. I now own a Ruger p95. The dam thing eats any ammo I put in it. Im pretty happy with it. I was wondering if others have had good or bad experiences with em? I wanted a High cap 9mm and the price was right for me. $259 +tax. Everything I read is Glock or Springfield XD. thoughts?
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to TImkin For This Useful Post:
Old 01-28-2010, 02:20 AM
www.GuerillaTactical.com

Thanked 1,209 Times in 522 Posts

For half the price of an XD, you can buy two. I have had great luck with Ruger firearms!
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Rhino78 For This Useful Post:
Old 01-28-2010, 02:02 PM
Firearm Enthusiast

If carrying it isn't a factor, then they're great firearms. They offer good magazine capacity, a fair aftermarket, and Ruger's traditional quality. They're big, bulky, and not too pretty. Bottomline - They reliably fill the role of a home/range gun for a great price.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to mrtoren For This Useful Post:
Old 01-28-2010, 02:31 PM

I plan on using it here at the homestead for security, and fun (targetshooting). If things get hairy I may strap it to my hip for daily "open" carry. Besides I'm a big guy and could easily conceal the thing if needed. I want to add I have read that some don't like the clunky big grip. It seems to fit in my big paws just fine.
Old 01-28-2010, 03:13 PM

I am in the market for a p95. Where did you get one for $259?
Old 01-28-2010, 08:06 PM

I bought mine from a local gun dealer that does a huge volume business. His price was lowest in my area. The price ranged in my area from 259-350 + tax. It was blued model brand new with plastic case,2 mags,instructions,gun padlock and a loader tool for the magazines. Sometimes I have read Sporting goods stores like Academy or ****s Sports has sales on them.
Old 01-29-2010, 09:31 PM
Trapper

I only have one complaint with the P95 and that is I find the grip to be a little slick. I solved my problem with a piece of bicycle inner tube.

Fantastic weapon and I will hold its own with any other pistol in its class.
The Following User Says Thank You to Booker For This Useful Post:
Old 01-30-2010, 10:16 PM
Mad Man with a Box

Location: East & West TX. Somewhere between Beaumont and El Paso
Thanked 6,958 Times in 2,702 Posts

Nothing wrong at all with any Ruger P-series. My first handgun was a P85 Mk2, and I had the P345 until I decided I needed hi-cap in a .45ACP. If they made a P90 with a double stack mag, I'd have gotten it instead of a HK USP.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to HiroProX For This Useful Post:
Old 02-01-2010, 12:35 AM
Survivor

Thanked 5,198 Times in 2,477 Posts

The Ruger P-series is about as bulletproof a gun as you can find.
Not the best feeling in the hand, they just keep on functioning.

My preference is the older P-85-94's with the metal frames, they're less likely to degrade in time.

The P-95's don't have metal in the rail portion of the frame, a minor sticking point to me but it's a Ruger so you know it's brute strong.

One of my friends puts on CCW classes and keeps commenting on during his classes, the only gun that doesn't fail is the Ruger P-series guns.

How do you argue with that? Inexperienced shooters, garbage ammo, dirt, muck, dirty weapons? The Ruger's keep chugging along and cheaper than the Glocks. Better looking too.
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to whirlibird For This Useful Post:
Old 02-01-2010, 10:14 AM
Forum Administrator

Thanked 32,656 Times in 6,805 Posts

I have owned 2 ruger pistols - the Ruger P90 and Ruger p91, and really liked both of them. The P90 did not like certain types of reloaded ammo, but ate just about everything you fed it. The P91 never gave me any problems.

Ruger pistols are really under rated. Its its not springfield, glock, smith & wesson,,, then its junk. The fact is, Ruger makes an outstanding pistol that will not break the bank, like some of them will.

A buddy of mine, he has 2 or 3 Ruger P89s - they are something like 18 - 20 years old. We used to take them out to the range and shoot 1,000 rounds through them, and not a single misfire or jam. I had my Beretta 92F 9mm doing the same thing.

The difference between the Beretta and the Ruger? The Beretta cost 2X what the Ruger did.

If you have a question about the forum, please post it in this section.
General questions sent through private messages will be ignored.
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to kev For This Useful Post:
Old 02-01-2010, 10:22 AM
Hunter

Thanked 1,417 Times in 817 Posts

When the Berettas came out and departments starting transitioning over we were offered a choice of the Berettas or Taurus. Since we had to purchase the guns ourselves I opted for the Taurus. First qualifications my weapon was the only one that did not jam.
The Following User Says Thank You to Biltong For This Useful Post:
Old 02-01-2010, 06:04 PM
Semper Paratus

I had the P97 several years ago, and I didn't like it at all. It would not shoot cheap wolf ammo at all. It jammed every single round. I switched to winchester ammo, and it ran fine after that, but it didn't shoot anywhere near the point of aim. I did buy it used, so that may have been a factor
Old 02-01-2010, 08:51 PM
I'll eat your gold.

Thanked 2,147 Times in 850 Posts

I recently bought a P-89 on a sales forum and so far I like it very much. Price? $305. shipped.
I have handled a lot of them over the years at gun show and have shot a friend's P-85
From my research the P-89 is the best of the P series.

The Following User Says Thank You to American Chestnut For This Useful Post:
Old 02-01-2010, 08:58 PM

I have several Glocks and that would that's my choice when everything goes wrong. Having said that, I have had a P95 for close to 10yrs and it has always done what I asked it to...and then some.
Nothing wrong with them at all, unless your some kind of pistol snob!
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to ldv444 For This Useful Post:
Old 02-01-2010, 08:59 PM
Don't eat bowls of stupid

Thanked 4,724 Times in 2,289 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by TImkin View Post
I have owned glock 17 and sold it years ago. I now own a Ruger p95. The dam thing eats any ammo I put in it. Im pretty happy with it. I was wondering if others have had good or bad experiences with em? I wanted a High cap 9mm and the price was right for me. $259 +tax. Everything I read is Glock or Springfield XD. thoughts?
Overall, Ruger firearms are alot of bang for the buck. Personal preference trumps all. I own a Ruger MKII Target .22 pistol which I've owned since '83 and I love it. In fact, that and my Charter Arms AR7 are part of my bug out kit and fit quite nicely in my backpack with everything else. Oh yes and BTW, I'm an XD shooter as well.....XD9 subcompact and XD45 .45ACP....love them both too, but I take nothing away from Ruger. They do make a good quality pistol.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to American ME! For This Useful Post:
Old 02-03-2010, 10:18 PM
Deus exsisto laus

Thanked 6,726 Times in 2,286 Posts

I can't say anything ,personally ,about the P95. I have a Ruger P85 Mk2 and it is built like a Sherman tank! I will never sell mine. I don't doubt the P95 is a great gun. TP
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Texas Patriot For This Useful Post:
Old 02-03-2010, 10:23 PM
READY&ABLE

My first handgun was a P95D in 9mm.........I didnt have it long....once i became fimilar with semi autos...i sold it and step up to 1911's and Glocks.....
Old 02-04-2010, 10:51 AM
Prepared

My grandfather bought one a while back and had me clean and lube it for him when it was new. I was pretty impressed. After shooting it a couple of times, I'm even more impressed. Big, kinda heavy, and smooth... what's not to love?!?
The Following User Says Thank You to Westbound For This Useful Post:
Old 02-05-2010, 01:30 PM
Prepared

For the money, they're not bad. The grips are big and bulky, so not a great CCW gun....
I'd spend an extra $100 or so and go with a Ruger SR9 17rd if you want hi cap or SR9c if you're thinking CCW. Much more ergonomic pistols than the P89 and similar, but both classes are quite reliable in my experience.

I agree that everyone knows Ruger is high quality for revolvers and 22s, but they are also very underrated for semi pistols.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to slyguy For This Useful Post:
Old 02-06-2010, 02:07 AM

I've owned the P89 for about eight years. I can go to the range and fire several boxes of various ammo with no malfunctions or misfires. As for concealed, it does tend to print a little but fits my hands well and is very accurate as well. I don't care what glock owners or anyone else says, Ruger does the trick for me and I wouldn't trade it for the world.
The Following User Says Thank You to Fightn4freedom For This Useful Post: