Survivalist Forum

Advertise Here

Go Back   Survivalist Forum > Survival & Preparedness Forum > Wilderness Survival, Hiking and Camping Forum > Edible & Non-Edible Plants
Articles Chat Room Classifieds Donations Gallery Groups Links Store Survival Files

Advertise Here

Old 03-18-2008, 11:05 PM
SURVIVOR

Awards Showcase
Outstanding Thread Outstanding Member 
Total Awards: 2
Talking Edible Moss

Advertise Here

REINDEER MOSS

Description: Reindeer moss is a low-growing plant only a few centimeters tall. It does not flower but does produce bright red reproductive structures.

Habitat and Distribution: Look for this lichen in open, dry areas. It is very common in much of North America.

Edible Parts: The entire plant is edible but has a crunchy, brittle texture. Soak the plant in water with some wood ashes to remove the bitterness, then dry, crush, and add it to milk or to other food. mosses or lichens are nearly 94% carbohydrates. It was also used in the making of Swedish brandy and vodka. The acids is contains may upset your stomach a little. best when prepared as a tea,but can also be entirely eaten

OAK MOSS

An edible lichen, Evernia prunastri, found in mountainous regions of the N hemisphere. It has a pale greenish-grey body, 3-8 cm long, with pointed branches. It is used in perfumery and in the preparation of drugs

An edible lichen,Oakmoss, also known as Evernia prunastri, is a type of lichen used extensively in modern perfumery. It has a pale greenish-grey body, 3-8 cm long, with pointed branches. This lichen can be found in many mountainous temperate forests throughout the Northern Hemisphere, including parts of France, Portugal, Spain, North America, and much of Central Europe. Oakmoss grows primarily on the trunk and branches of oak trees, but is also commonly found on the bark of other decideous trees and conifers such as fir and pine. The thalli of Oakmoss are short (3-4 cm in length) and bushy, and grow together on bark to form large clumps. Oakmoss thallus is flat and strap-like. They are also highly branched, resembling the form of deer antlers. The colour of Oakmoss ranges from green to a greenish-white when dry, and dark olive-green to yellow-green when wet. The texture of the thalli are rough when dry and rubbery when wet.

Oakmoss is commercially harvested in countries of South-Central Europe and usually exported to the Grasse region of France where its fragrant compounds are extracted as Oakmoss absolutes and extracts. These raw materials are often used as perfume fixatives and form the base notes of many fragrances. They are also key components of Fougère and Chypre class perfumes. The lichen has a distinct and complex odor and can be described as woody, sharp and slightly sweet. Oakmoss growing on pines have a pronounced turpentine odor that is valued in certain perfume compositions.

Oak Moss Absolute is a natural product derived from tree lichen. An essential oil is produced by solvent extraction of the plant. The part of the essential oil that is alcohol extractable is called absolute or isolate. It is a commonly used fragrance material in aftershave lotions to give them an earthy, woody, and "masculine" odour.

SPANISH MOSS

Spanish moss (Tillandsia usneoides) closely resembles its namesake (Usnea, or beard lichen). However, Spanish moss is not biologically related to either mosses or lichens. Instead, it is a flowering plant in the family Bromeliaceae (the bromeliads) that grows hanging from tree branches in full sun or partial shade. Formerly this plant has been placed in the genera Anoplophytum,Caraguata and Renealmia. [1] It ranges from the southeastern United States (southern Virginia and eastern Maryland) to Argentina, growing wherever the climate is warm enough and has a relatively high average humidity.

The plant consists of a slender stem bearing alternate thin, curved or curly, heavily scaled leaves 2-6 cm long and 1 mm broad, that grow vegetatively in chain-like fashion (pendant) to form hanging structures 1-2 m in length, occasionally more. The plant lacks roots and its flowers are tiny and inconspicuous. It propagates both by seed and vegetatively by fragments that blow on the wind and stick to tree limbs, or are carried by birds as nesting material.

Spanish moss is an epiphyte (a plant that lives upon other plants; from Greek "epi"=upon "phyte"=plant), which absorbs nutrients (especially calcium) and water from the air and rainfall.

Medicinal use of Spanish moss has a long history. It was taken, while green, and brewed into tea for expectant mothers, supposedly to aid the flow of breast milk and make the delivery easier. Tea from the plant was also used as a folk remedy for rheumatism. In Mexico, it has been used to treat infantile epilepsy. In the early 1950s, it was used as an estrogen substitute and scientists have found the plant exhibits antibacterial properties. Drugs extracted from it have been used in the treatment of diabetes and researchers have been looking for a way to use it to help control blood glucose levels.

Oral extracts of Spanish Moss (Tillandsia usneoides), a non-parasitic epiphyte in the pineapple family, have been found in a few studies to reduce blood glucose in laboratory animals. The compound primarily responsible is called HMG, short for 3-hydroxy-3-methylglutaric acid. HMG is now featured as an ingredient in a few herbal diabetic supplements.
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to AAPEXX For This Useful Post:
Old 03-19-2008, 07:34 AM
Earthwalker.

Thanked 10,520 Times in 4,384 Posts
Awards Showcase
Outstanding Post Outstanding Post 

I've heard about edible moss carn't say i've tryed it.
Old 03-24-2008, 09:37 PM
This is a great survival forum

Default Spanish moss

Spanish moss has a black inner core and was once uesd to stuff mattresses and the like. eattheweeds.com has a blog on lichen
Old 03-31-2008, 11:30 AM
Earthwalker.

Thanked 10,520 Times in 4,384 Posts
Awards Showcase
Outstanding Post Outstanding Post 

You can use it as toilet paper alternative.
Old 03-31-2008, 11:59 AM
Recent Blog: Starting a new career
Forum Administrator

Thanked 32,959 Times in 6,851 Posts

Is spanish moss and oak moss edible right off the tree? Sometimes I see moss on oak trees in texas, and I am wondering if that is the same stuff? But the article says - "An edible lichen, Evernia prunastri, found in mountainous regions of the N hemisphere."

Spanish Moss for poison Ivy - My grand mother told me about this one. Take some spanish moss and put it into a jar filled with rubbing alcohol. After a few days the alcohol can be used to treat a poison ivy infection. But you have the solution ready before someone get poison ivy on them. Use a cloth to rub the alcohol on the rash.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to kev For This Useful Post:
Old 03-31-2008, 12:18 PM
The Bad guy

Last edited by varmintstalkers; 04-01-2008 at 03:21 AM..
The Following User Says Thank You to varmintstalkers For This Useful Post:
Old 09-25-2008, 07:06 PM
Hiker

I need a sassifras tree photo with emphasis on the leaves.
Old 09-25-2008, 07:34 PM
Wild Edibles Expert

Thanked 9,785 Times in 4,220 Posts
Awards Showcase
Top Poster Top Poster Top Poster 
Total Awards: 3

Quote:
Originally Posted by kev View Post
Is spanish moss and oak moss edible right off the tree? Sometimes I see moss on oak trees in texas, and I am wondering if that is the same stuff? But the article says - "An edible lichen, Evernia prunastri, found in mountainous regions of the N hemisphere."

Spanish Moss for poison Ivy - My grand mother told me about this one. Take some spanish moss and put it into a jar filled with rubbing alcohol. After a few days the alcohol can be used to treat a poison ivy infection. But you have the solution ready before someone get poison ivy on them. Use a cloth to rub the alcohol on the rash.
Spanish moss is NOT edible. Reindeer moss is not really a moss but lichen (I have a large article on them at eattheweeds.com. and a video on You Tube under the same name. Reindeer Moss, a claydonia, is amount the least acidic of the lichen, soak them in lots of water, or water with HARDWOOD ashes or sodium bicarbonate. The lichen one can eat off the tree in good quantities without stomach up set is usnea, which is also an excellent external antibiotic.

Also, the top picture is way too green. Claydonia is light green at best, and one of the two toxic lichen is green, but long and stringy, like a four-inch beard.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Straight Razor For This Useful Post:
Old 10-11-2008, 10:11 PM

mmmm tastes like chicken
Old 10-12-2008, 07:43 AM
Wild Edibles Expert

Awards Showcase

Quote:
Originally Posted by meisje View Post
mmmm tastes like chicken
Then that was a mighty poor chicken you had...
Old 10-13-2008, 10:37 AM

Mosses are best used as teas. You're less likely to have stomach upset if you boil it into a tea, strain it, and sweeten it with honey (if you have it).
Old 10-13-2008, 10:42 AM
Wild Edibles Expert

Awards Showcase

Quote:
Originally Posted by Medusa72 View Post
Mosses are best used as teas. You're less likely to have stomach upset if you boil it into a tea, strain it, and sweeten it with honey (if you have it).
Do you mean lichen or moss, they are different families despite the common terms. If you mean lichen, they are 96 percent carbs, if leached of the acid. They are also a great source of antibiotis. As for real mosses,,, few are edible but they are good filters and antibiotics.
Old 10-13-2008, 10:44 AM
Wild Edibles Expert

Awards Showcase

Quote:
Originally Posted by puzzler View Post
I need a sassifras tree photo with emphasis on the leaves.
Didn't you ask this before? My website has clear pictures as does a video on You Tube.. go to You Tube and type in

sassafras albidum

you come up with two videos, a forestry professor and mine.
Old 10-23-2009, 08:03 PM

DOOO NOT EAT THE MOSS!!! Spanish moss has a green tip! You can only eat the green tip! if you eat the moss alone u will get very sick!!!!
Old 01-29-2010, 07:38 PM
off-grid organic farmer

Thanked 22,874 Times in 9,292 Posts
Awards Showcase
Outstanding Helpful Post 
Total Awards: 1

That first picture looks just like Sphagnum moss.

There are variiants, but we have a lot of sphagnum that is light green like that.
Old 04-16-2014, 07:26 PM
Hiker

Did not know you can eat moss
Old 05-20-2014, 09:05 PM

What a great collection of information, thank you!
Reindeer and Iceland moss are commonly used up here but we boil them in several changes of water with a little baking soda added. This washes the acids out that can irritate the intestines. They don't taste like much but they're good to know about for year-round emergency food.

The only thing that bothers me about lichens is I've heard they absorb radiation from the atmosphere. But then I've given up worrying about things I can't control, in an emergency, food is food.