Survivalist Forum

Advertise Here

Go Back   Survivalist Forum > Firearms and Other Weapons Forum > Firearms General Discussion > Shotgun Forum
Articles Chat Room Classifieds Donations Gallery Groups Links Store Survival Files

Shotgun Forum Mossberg, Winchester, Remington, Benelli....

Advertise Here

Old 01-22-2010, 06:08 PM
Living To Ride

Thanked 1,750 Times in 863 Posts
Default Pics Federal FliteControl 00 Buck Patterns

Advertise Here

Today, I did some expansion tests from a 20 inch barrel Mossberg 590A1 using Federal FliteControl OO Buck (9 pellets).

I got a little surprise or rather looks like I need to do some more investigation The first shot I measured 60 feet but than changed my position to be sure of my back stop and it turned out to actually be 54 feet. The second was 20 yards and the last was 10 yards. These patterns are similar of my previous tests shooting paper plate targets with Federal FliteControl OO Buck. With patterns under 6 inches at 20 yards. The 54 foot shot surprised me, with the amount of spread in just six feet from 54 to 60 feet. Seems as if 54 feet is the point where FliteControl loses it's wad starts to spread or at least in my gun. As I said looks like I need to shoot some more patterns, just to get a better idea of what exactly is going on.
Still IMO this is the best home defense shotgun ammo available. Great penetration, accurate and the tightest pattern of any round I have shot. Consistently putting all nine pellets inside of paper plates out to sixty feet as fast as I can run the pump.

For some reason at fifty to sixty feet Point Of Impact is about an inch high and to the left of my Point of Aim. Still on paper but off an inch or so. I am thinking it is me and not the ammo or the gun. Something else I need to work on. Anyway this will give you some idea of the pattern of Federals LE 00 Buck Flitecontrol out of a Mossberg 590A1

The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to LongRider For This Useful Post:
Old 01-22-2010, 07:07 PM
Marine Engineer

Thanked 2,160 Times in 985 Posts

looks good, take it out to 50-60 yards adjust sights then check point of aim in close, i like it
Old 01-23-2010, 12:00 PM
Survivor

I bought several boxes of the Federal Flight Control, not so much for their flight control but because they were of a lower recoil shotshell...have yet to fire any but good useful information...I'd like ideally to have a low recoil that didn't have a flight control assessed to it as keeping a tight spread for A-typical home defense isn't really an issue, just low recoil-faster follow up shots. I'm not a cop trying to nail a bank robber across the street, hoping for a tighter pattern at a hundred feet or more.
I also (of course) have standard 00 Buck boxes.
Old 01-23-2010, 01:00 PM
Veritas Aequitas

Thanked 3,062 Times in 1,017 Posts

These fire incredibly tight patterns out of my shotgun as well...almost TOO tight. Great round though if you keep it on target.
Old 01-24-2010, 06:06 AM
Living To Ride

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skyjump136
These fire incredibly tight patterns out of my shotgun as well...almost TOO tight. Great round though if you keep it on target.
Seriously with women and buck shot is there such a thing as too tight? Well maybe almost but to my way of thinking I want to be sure my whole load enters the intended receptacle not spread all over my furniture or the neighbors sheep
Old 01-24-2010, 05:13 PM
Veritas Aequitas

I'd like to see about 6" of spread at hallway distances. You've got a better chance of hitting multiple organs that way. The way this stuff comes out you might as well be shooting slugs.
Old 01-24-2010, 08:15 PM
Living To Ride

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skyjump136
I'd like to see about 6" of spread at hallway distances. You've got a better chance of hitting multiple organs that way. The way this stuff comes out you might as well be shooting slugs.
More like slugs that in effect explode into nine different directions inside the target. I don't think that stopping the perp or hitting multiple organs will much of an issue. I have never been a member of the spray and pray school of shot gun shooting (not saying you are). Shotguns IMO are aimed weapons like any other fire arm. I like these patterns because even at the maximum spread I am comfortable that all pellets will stay in the target. even with a less than perfect hit.
Still you do make a good point. Federal Hydro Shok slugs create a six inch diameter wound cavity and has better range than 00 Buck. I use them as my last three rounds in my shottie. Than rifled slugs in the saddle for longer range shots.
The Following User Says Thank You to LongRider For This Useful Post:
Old 01-24-2010, 10:06 PM
Veritas Aequitas

Don't get me wrong - I think these rounds do EXACTLY what they are advertised to do. And both my shotties are full of them right now. It just gives a very un-shotgun like result and I haven't decided if I'm completely comfortable with that or not.
The Following User Says Thank You to Skyjump136 For This Useful Post:
Old 01-25-2010, 01:48 AM
Living To Ride

Correction maximum spread at 20 yards or less. The ranges that I will be shooting inside my home
The Following User Says Thank You to LongRider For This Useful Post:
Old 01-25-2010, 03:15 AM
Wilddieb

Thanked 1,739 Times in 921 Posts

With knowing how the pattering using your HD shotgun is, there are no issues using 00 buck inside the house.

With quality buck shots there are no issues not keeping all pellets center mass. If you know what you do and what tools you are using: do not worry about your loved ones.