Survivalist Forum

Advertise Here

Go Back   Survivalist Forum > Survival & Preparedness Forum > Farming, Gardening & Homesteading
Articles Chat Room Classifieds Donations Gallery Groups Links Store Survival Files

Farming, Gardening & Homesteading Country lifestyle, homesteading and living off the grid.

Advertise Here

Old 01-21-2010, 06:08 AM
Hunter

Thanked 1,052 Times in 494 Posts
Default Get food grade 5 gallon buckets from Walmart FREE before the 29th

Advertise Here

Walmart just decided to go "green" and is going to require the bakery (specifically cake decorating department) to use their buckets for composting..

You can get food grade 5 gallon plastic buckets for free from them, they previously held icing/frosting.. They also have 3 gallon buckets available.. After the 29th, you won't be able to get them anymore.

If you're wondering why I brought this up, I use mine for tomatoes and potatoes. The smaller buckets are good for herbs & things like chives.

So just giving you all a heads up on where you can get some free buckets for your gardening projects (or storage or whatever you want to use them for).. Just make sure to start getting them before the 29th.

You may have to clean them yourself.. Just FYI... (but big deal!)
The Following 10 Users Say Thank You to roro For This Useful Post:
Old 01-21-2010, 06:11 AM
MachineMacabre

I can use a few more. Thank you for the HU!
Old 01-21-2010, 07:23 AM
Hunter

I have 5 walmarts in a 30 mile circle around me, with my luck i'm sure that by the time i got to one, the buckets would all would all be gone.
Old 01-21-2010, 07:30 AM
Hunter

Quote:
Originally Posted by redflag View Post
I have 5 walmarts in a 30 mile circle around me, with my luck i'm sure that by the time i got to one, the buckets would all would all be gone.
i doubt it!

no one really knows about the bucket thing, yet. i just know because my mother works in the cake decorating department. lol she was irritated, because i had planned to sell a bunch of tomatoes this year & she can't get me all the buckets i need. lol i have over 1000 tomato seeds... all heirloom tomatoes. over 100 varieties... and not anywhere near enough buckets. lol

so anywho... i'd go there & see if you could get some anyway. it's worth a shot!
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to roro For This Useful Post:
Old 01-21-2010, 08:03 AM

The Walmarts near me have already stopped giving the empty buckets to customers. Said they now have to recycle them.
The Following User Says Thank You to ppaw27 For This Useful Post:
Old 01-21-2010, 08:09 AM
Hunter

Quote:
Originally Posted by ppaw27 View Post
The Walmarts near me have already stopped giving the empty buckets to customers. Said they now have to recycle them.
I'm sorry.

Well, add this to the list of reasons to hate Walmart. lol One of the few useful things they had is being tossed out.

They could just recycle the ones people don't ask for.. But if someone asks for them, they should give them to them..
Old 01-21-2010, 09:27 AM
Trapper

I don't know about bigger buckets, but I get 1/2 gallon buckets from potatoe salad and the like from the grocery store. Any G. store that has a deli that sells prepared food will have them. Anyone that is selling starter plants, poke a few holes in the bottom and they are a perfect size.
Old 01-21-2010, 09:54 AM
Hunter

Quote:
Originally Posted by pammygene View Post
I don't know about bigger buckets, but I get 1/2 gallon buckets from potatoe salad and the like from the grocery store. Any G. store that has a deli that sells prepared food will have them. Anyone that is selling starter plants, poke a few holes in the bottom and they are a perfect size.
lol thank you for the tip! that's a good idea.
Old 01-21-2010, 10:08 AM
Target Shooter

I have never been able to get them from Wallyworld ,, but the local grocieries that have bakeries have all been happy to give them too us.
Old 01-21-2010, 02:15 PM
Rugged Individualist

Quote:
This was the same response I got when I inquired about buckets over a year ago.
The Following User Says Thank You to OKIEPOKE For This Useful Post:
Old 01-22-2010, 11:38 AM

Where do you live?

Is this '29th' thing something new theyre doing?

I've been getting buckets from Walmart, BJ's, Sam's club and Hannaford for years now. And I get them whenever I want/need them. Any time of the year. I'm wondering if they're going to be stopping or if it's just something in your area.
Old 01-22-2010, 01:19 PM
Bleach blonde on fire :p

Thanked 9,453 Times in 3,793 Posts

My wallys started recycling early last year so no buckets for me....at least from them.
Old 01-22-2010, 01:37 PM

Called my local Wal-mart. Got the run around for awhile, spoke to a manager, she hadn't heard anything about it, took my # though, so maybe it will pan out. Thanks for the tip anyway...hopefully something (in the way of free 5 gal. buckets) will come of it.
Old 01-22-2010, 02:13 PM
Homesteader

Thanked 2,181 Times in 794 Posts

I've been getting them for years now. They are really handy here on the farm. I go right up to the counter in the bakery, and ask one of those hard working ladies if they have any buckets, and when they ask me how many, I say that I will take them all.

They are more than glad to get rid of them, and even give me the lids. My pickup has about 20 laying in the back from my last bunch I got.

Most times they are even washed out already. If not just set them in the bathtub and run hot water and a little dawn in it. They clean right up. I sort of like the frosting smell too.
Old 01-22-2010, 02:24 PM
Hunter

Quote:
Originally Posted by SupermanPJ4444 View Post
Where do you live?

Is this '29th' thing something new theyre doing?

I've been getting buckets from Walmart, BJ's, Sam's club and Hannaford for years now. And I get them whenever I want/need them. Any time of the year. I'm wondering if they're going to be stopping or if it's just something in your area.
I believe it is or will be a national thing soon.. It'd be something odd just to do in my area. I live in Oklahoma. lol I guess they started doing this last year, because people that have posted on this thread mentioned that they said they had to recycle them. That's what the new excuse will be here on the 29th, too. lol

But.. There are other places you can get food grade 5 gallon buckets. Fast food places- especially burger joints, because their pickles & stuff come in 5 gallon buckets.. Places like Subway, McDonald's, etc. And of course other places that decorate cakes- Reasors being one. lol

Quote:
Originally Posted by dirt013 View Post
Called my local Wal-mart. Got the run around for awhile, spoke to a manager, she hadn't heard anything about it, took my # though, so maybe it will pan out. Thanks for the tip anyway...hopefully something (in the way of free 5 gal. buckets) will come of it.
cool beans! i hope you are able to get some!

Quote:
Originally Posted by wilhelm View Post
I've been getting them for years now. They are really handy here on the farm. I go right up to the counter in the bakery, and ask one of those hard working ladies if they have any buckets, and when they ask me how many, I say that I will take them all.

They are more than glad to get rid of them, and even give me the lids. My pickup has about 20 laying in the back from my last bunch I got.

Most times they are even washed out already. If not just set them in the bathtub and run hot water and a little dawn in it. They clean right up. I sort of like the frosting smell too.
Yep! That's how it usually goes around here, too! Most people at Walmart are happy to be rid of them, because it's one less thing that they have to pack up and throw away & if you take all of them, then that's a whole trip or two that you save 'em from walking allllllllllllllllll the way on the other side and back. lol
The Following User Says Thank You to roro For This Useful Post:
Old 01-22-2010, 03:53 PM
Hiker

Checked with my closest one. The deli only has the half gallon/gallon sizes. The bakery does use the 5 gallon however, they have to return them for credit.
Old 11-20-2013, 01:09 PM

This is True, I just got off the phone with them, I was lucky to get 10 of them before every body started to ask for them.
Old 11-20-2013, 01:19 PM
Winter is coming.....

Thanked 10,666 Times in 2,906 Posts

Quote:
I got three buckets about two years ago, last ones I was able to get. Although the next couple of times I asked I could see several empty ones right there I was told no as they had been directed to recycle without exception.
Old 11-20-2013, 01:23 PM
None

Thanked 72,366 Times in 17,013 Posts
Awards Showcase
Outstanding Member 
Total Awards: 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by mustangjan View Post
This is True, I just got off the phone with them, I was lucky to get 10 of them before every body started to ask for them.
The event this thread was discussing was to have occurred January 29, 2010. I think any changes because of it have already happened.
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Mels thinkingitover For This Useful Post:
Old 11-20-2013, 01:24 PM
Semi' Gray Man

Thanked 12,366 Times in 4,146 Posts

Got 2 daughters that work for wally world, never thunked about asking them to get me the buckets, sometimes I just amaze myself on how much of a dum ass I am
The Following User Says Thank You to n1d For This Useful Post: