Survivalist Forum

Advertise Here

Go Back   Survivalist Forum > Survival & Preparedness Forum > Farming, Gardening & Homesteading
Articles Chat Room Classifieds Donations Gallery Groups Links Store Survival Files

Farming, Gardening & Homesteading Country lifestyle, homesteading and living off the grid.

Advertise Here

Old 01-20-2010, 12:23 PM
Tested in the Wilderness

Thanked 17,140 Times in 3,524 Posts
Awards Showcase
Outstanding Thread Outstanding Thread 
Total Awards: 2
Default Does your town or city allow chickens?

Advertise Here

Just wondering for any who do not have a homestead or country place to raise chickens but live in a town or city, if they are allowed to raise chickens in their backyard? Here is a link telling about this in my hometown, Greeley, CO which has a population of around 85,000 }
http://www.greeleytribune.com/articl...ntProfile=1001

From the above article > "An ordinance to allow more hens in Greeley backyards won't step out of the coop as council members abruptly nixed the measure before it could get to a first reading Tuesday night.

The Greeley City Council's 4-3 vote against introducing the ordinance effectively kills it, meaning the proposal, which consumed considerable time in city staff and community group study, won't go to a public hearing.

The city requires a backyard lot of about 65 feet by 65 feet per hen on nonagricultural properties.

Voting to scratch the measure, which would have allowed up to six backyard hens as long as residents met multiple conditions, were Mayor Tom Norton and council members"
Old 01-20-2010, 12:24 PM
Prepared

I wish we could...........
Old 01-20-2010, 12:32 PM
Hunter

Thanked 1,055 Times in 465 Posts

yeah, we can have chickens. that's what we are planning on, they are relatively easy, and eggs and chickens make for good barter material, in addition to being tasty.
Old 01-20-2010, 12:41 PM
Rugged Individualist

No, we aren't allowed to have chickens. Which makes me mad!
Old 01-20-2010, 12:41 PM
Tested in the Wilderness

Awards Showcase

Depends on the size of the town and how controlling or fussy the town council is maybe. Harlequin, I saw from some other post you are on the Western Slope of Colorado which is much different from the Front Range where it is so crowded. More free possibly...
The Following User Says Thank You to Mtnman Mike For This Useful Post:
Old 01-20-2010, 12:55 PM
pseudo-conformist

Awards Showcase
Outstanding Post 
Total Awards: 1

Wow, and some people say we're totally controlled in the Uk?!
No rules for us at all really, the main issue would be if a cockerel was exceptionally noisy and enough neighbours complained then the local enviro-health team would investigate and usually make you get rid of him.
I've had chickens at many different places, in the centre of town sometimes, but luckilly my neighbours have never been annoyed with the crowing in the morning. It's usually the big gulls we have that make the most noise and folks here have said they prefer the sound of a cokerel anyday compared to the scavenging trash munching gulls.
UK rules are pretty much "if no-one moans about noise then not a problem"
The Following User Says Thank You to DareToThink For This Useful Post:
Old 01-20-2010, 01:04 PM
Tested in the Wilderness

Awards Showcase

DaretoThink, surely they don't "allow" people to raise chickens in the huge city of London? Or some other big cities? I have heard in NY etc. people have raised pigeons though.

Maybe people can raise chickens in their backyards anyway and hope to get away with it. And even have a hidden bunker for the chickens. If I ever have chickens on my mtn land I would need a strong bunker so foxes, martens and the bear could not get them.

Also here is another link Maybe some will find helpful about chickens > http://www.plamondon.com/newsletters...FUUwpAodHnsT0Q
The Following User Says Thank You to Mtnman Mike For This Useful Post:
Old 01-20-2010, 01:07 PM
Recent Blog:

Not here in MI. We aren't allowed to do anything but work, pay taxes and buy stuff. LOL!

If you're on the outskirts of town it might still be legal outside city limits.
Old 01-20-2010, 01:14 PM
pseudo-conformist

Awards Showcase
Outstanding Post 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mtnman Mike View Post
DaretoThink, surely they don't "allow" people to raise chickens in the huge city of London? Or some other big cities?
Yep Mtnman, its happily true, the only time any restrictions apply would be if your home was perhaps "leasehold land" owned by a housing association or something and it was in the title deeds that the land-owner/association prohibited it.

Apart from that, the animal welfare people might have an issue if someone actually complained about smell or poor conditions of the birds, plus the council enviro-health team for the same reason and/or noise from a cockerel.
But if you rent your home and the landlord has no problem, or if you own your home (mortgaged etc), there are no local byelaws specifically stopping people keeping chickens anywhere.

I know a few people in terraced "back to back" streets in densly populated areas that keep chickens with no problems. Like I say, the only issues here are really animal welfare and noise pollution. No complaints = no problem.

**edit** Did a bit more research and there are more restrictive rules in the UK if you keep 50+ birds...
http://www.defra.gov.uk/foodfarm/far...y-register.pdf

Quote:
It is a legal requirement* for all premises with 50
or more poultry to register. This applies whether
the 50 poultry are of a single species or a
combination of the species below. In addition, the
requirement applies if the premises is only usually
stocked to this level for part of the year.

The species of poultry that must be registered
include the following: chickens (including
bantams), turkeys, ducks, geese, guinea fowl,
quail, partridges, pheasants, pigeons (reared for
meat), ostriches, emus, rheas and cassowaries.

Last edited by DareToThink; 01-20-2010 at 03:03 PM.. Reason: Additional info
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to DareToThink For This Useful Post:
Old 01-20-2010, 01:19 PM
Target Shooter

We're allowed to have chickens here in Tucson, Arizona but are not allowed to raise hoofed animals like goats inside the city limits. You do have to keep them in some type of enclousure instead of letting them free range. That's because we have coyotes wandering through the city on a regular basis; there's even been bobcat sightings in my neighborhood.
Old 01-20-2010, 02:26 PM
Hunter

Thanked 1,049 Times in 494 Posts

http://home.centurytel.net/thecitych...ickenlaws.html < here's a place to see if your city/state does

mine does, it says:

Tulsa, OK. Chickens must be in pens or buildings located at least 50 feet from your property line. Do not exceed 6 adult birds and 14 chicks. You have to put screens on your coop so as to discourage flies.

woo hoo
Old 01-20-2010, 05:06 PM
My Temperature is Right

Thanked 4,133 Times in 2,319 Posts

Nah, my town doesn't allow any animals other than dogs or cat on lots less than 2 acres with no adjoining neighbors.

I wanted to tractor 6 chickens from march until Nov.
Old 01-20-2010, 05:23 PM
This is a great survival forum

Thanked 5,343 Times in 2,895 Posts

Since I have a Dog I can have 5 chickens in the city limits of my town. If I have over an acre the number goes up and some land is grandfathered to allow Beef and Horses in the City limits.....Hogs are not allowed (except as pets like pot bellied pigs)

I could have a dog 3 chickens and 2 rabbits as long as the number of adult animals does not exceed 6 I'm OK (on lots my size Horses and cows are not allowed I'm not sure about goats).
Old 01-20-2010, 08:26 PM
Trapper

Thanked 1,269 Times in 417 Posts

If you want to see chickens in the most unlikely place, go down to Watts or Compton in L.A.. I used to appraise a lot of houses there and I would show up early in the morning before the gangsters woke up. I remember one time, I was getting back into my car at about 7:00 AM and I paused just to smell the bacon grease in the air and hear the roosters crowing. At that very moment, a pack of about 30 wild dogs (yes, there are packs of wild dogs) came around the corner up the street. I was outta there.

Mike
Old 01-20-2010, 09:13 PM

I have had hens in my yard in several large cities, without asking permission, they are very quiet and I have had long time neighbors whose children have discovered my hens told their parents who thought they were upset until they found out I had hens there for several years and they had no clue. They then decided it must be okay.
The Following User Says Thank You to salmonric For This Useful Post:
Old 01-21-2010, 01:33 AM

In my neighborhood, we live on 1/2 acre lots and we are allowed to have chickens. Many of the children in the neighborhood have them and we buy fresh eggs from them. Some of the neighbors have complained about roosters. So many of the chicken owners tend to give the roosters away, so we don't have too many roosters around here. Roosters are a bit dangerous around small children. The families that do have chickens always tell me that they love having them. I don't have them because my dog wouldn't go for it.
Old 05-18-2010, 12:22 PM
battening the hatches

We can't have chickens. I called the zoning people about ducks and tried to tell them they'd be pets. No luck. We can have rabbits however and I have that in mind. I was also thinking of keeping Japanese quail covertly. They are not specifically outlawed and they are great egg producers even though the eggs are small and require an incubator to hatch. Pidgeons are another option.
Old 05-18-2010, 12:35 PM
King of Nido

Thanked 1,981 Times in 909 Posts

"keeping chickens is not allowed in Sacramento", but if i were to move 300 feet down the road i could have 10. Lame.
Old 05-18-2010, 02:32 PM
Walking methane refinery

Thanked 102,527 Times in 33,074 Posts
Awards Showcase
Outstanding Member 

We can have chickens in the city here. I know there are limitations on how many, etc. But I don't know the rules, only that they're allowed.
Old 05-18-2010, 03:30 PM
Hunter

My HOA says NOTHING about animal husbandry or livestock... I have 12 hens.
My neighbors around my 'hood have roosters and have had them for the 3 years I've lived here, no complaints, no letters and no fines.
I know people who's HOA bans animal husbandry but raise rabbits, 60 chickens and a few goats, they've never been bothered.