Survivalist Forum

Advertise Here

Go Back   Survivalist Forum > Survival & Preparedness Forum > Urban Survival
Articles Chat Room Classifieds Donations Gallery Groups Links Store Survival Files

Urban Survival Urban survival and disaster preparedness including hurricanes, earthquakes, floods and anything else.

Advertise Here

Old 01-17-2010, 07:44 PM

Default klean heat (heat strip)

Advertise Here

Hi again,

I have been searching this fourm and google and would like to know if anyone has experiance with clean heat as apposed to K1 kerosens?

I am going with wick lanterns and wick stoves that burn kerosens. I was wondering is Klean heat worth the extra money i will be burning this stuff in the house on the cold winter nights its how i will cook and heat small spaces for me and my famila.

so any opinions or testamonials would be great.

I will also get some heat from a candel heeter, (they work a friend of mine heats his trailer with 2 of them and a 3 inch candel or a small preafin lamp. just thought i would throw that in.

Thanks again.
Old 01-17-2010, 08:04 PM
My Temperature is Right

Thanked 4,128 Times in 2,318 Posts

Red Dye K-1 works fine in heaters but you have to dry burn every few days. I wouldn't use it in lanterns. For lanterns I'd pay for kleen heat or try to find highway k-1 diesel or JetA. If you're using metal font circular center draft wicks Low Odor Mineral Spirits are a better choice yet as it burns with a whiter hotter flame and almost no smoke with little charring of the wick. Shouldn't use it with a flat wick lantern though.
Old 01-18-2010, 09:12 AM

Does anyone know where i can get clean heat or a good synthetic kerosene to use in tube wick lanterns in Canada. I live in barrie (near toronto) and i cant find any anywere ? I can get k1 and it will do but i prefer somthing cleaner.

Thanks
Old 01-18-2010, 01:05 PM
Walking methane refinery

Thanked 99,700 Times in 32,466 Posts
Awards Showcase
Outstanding Member 
Total Awards: 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by sixheads View Post
Does anyone know where i can get clean heat or a good synthetic kerosene to use in tube wick lanterns in Canada. I live in barrie (near toronto) and i cant find any anywere ? I can get k1 and it will do but i prefer somthing cleaner.

Thanks
You can make kerosene burn cleaner by adding a little methanol to it. That's all that clean burn treatment is. The specialty clean burning kerosene might be nothing more than plain kerosene with methanol added too, I don't know. You don't need much. Maybe a a couple ounces per 5 gallons or so. Check the additive labels and see how much they recommend and use that amount.
Old 01-20-2010, 03:27 AM
I don't wanna talk about

I think you might be better off adding the methanol on an as needed basis. Methanol will absorb water from the atmosphere and you don't want your wick to get wet.

I've burned 10 gallons of red dye kerosene in my heater recently. It puffs smoke right on start up but seems to burn fine other than that. Prior to that, I used clear K-1 which didn't puff on initial light. But at nearly twice the price, it just isn't worth it to me.
The Following User Says Thank You to dgr For This Useful Post:
Old 01-20-2010, 06:06 PM
My Temperature is Right

Thanked 4,128 Times in 2,318 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by sixheads View Post

Thanks
Why don't you use low odor mineral spirits, it was originally developed as a lamp fuel.
Old 09-04-2014, 12:56 PM

I know this thread is old but wanted to post for other Canadians. Home Hardware sells their own brand of low odour kerosene based lamp oil for flat wick oil lamps. I haveee tried it in my Dietz Jupiter lantern and it burnt for five hours with no smoke or smell, it is all I use now!
The Following User Says Thank You to Canadian_Prepper For This Useful Post: