Survivalist Forum

Advertise Here

Go Back   Survivalist Forum > Survival gear buy, sell, trade and reviews section > Reviews and questions
Articles Chat Room Classifieds Donations Gallery Groups Links Store Survival Files

Advertise Here

Old 01-16-2010, 01:30 PM
I love this forum

Thanked 3,615 Times in 1,552 Posts
Default Need for strobe mode on a flashlight?

Advertise Here

One thing I've never quite understood. Why would you need a stroboscope mode on a flashlight? Many flashlights come with it but I just don't see why you need it. In what situations would it be useful?

Can somebody please enlighten me?
Old 01-16-2010, 01:34 PM
Believe in Yourself

Thanked 4,778 Times in 2,146 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wolfe View Post
One thing I've never quite understood. Why would you need a stroboscope mode on a flashlight? Many flashlights come with it but I just don't see why you need it. In what situations would it be useful?

Can somebody please enlighten me?
I always wondered that too. I figured it was for signaling for help. Batteries would last a whole lot longer on strobe than just left on.
Other than that I don't know
Old 01-16-2010, 02:40 PM
Maximus

Thanked 13,273 Times in 5,961 Posts

There are two types of strobe settings. The first is a slow strobe flash. This is on many button type flashlights or headlights etc. These are for signaling. It can last longer than just having it on continuously and it attracts more attention.

The other strobe setting is usually seen on powerful tactical lights. These are the flashlights that throw massive photons into an opponents eyes to temoprarily blind them. The strobe setting on these lights is a LOT quicker pulses. When used in a dark setting such as a house, warehouse, really dark alley, etc the strobe disorients the attacker to your actual position. The strobe acts like a blinding light and they cant really tell how far away you are when you strobe them in the face.

The effectiveness of this is debatable. But when I had my wife strobe me in the dark, I found it hard to locate her position. With a reading-lamp on in the background though, it was less effective.

There you go.
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to vicdotcom For This Useful Post:
Old 01-16-2010, 02:42 PM
John 3:16

Thanked 47,981 Times in 20,517 Posts
Awards Showcase
Top Poster 
Total Awards: 1

nighttime signaling, when the mirror isn't an option. mine is rated for about 150 hours.
Old 01-16-2010, 02:47 PM
Trapper

Quote:
Originally Posted by vicdotcom View Post
There are two types of strobe settings. The first is a slow strobe flash. This is on many button type flashlights or headlights etc. These are for signaling. It can last longer than just having it on continuously and it attracts more attention.

The other strobe setting is usually seen on powerful tactical lights. These are the flashlights that throw massive photons into an opponents eyes to temoprarily blind them. The strobe setting on these lights is a LOT quicker pulses. When used in a dark setting such as a house, warehouse, really dark alley, etc the strobe disorients the attacker to your actual position. The strobe acts like a blinding light and they cant really tell how far away you are when you strobe them in the face.

The effectiveness of this is debatable. But when I had my wife strobe me in the dark, I found it hard to locate her position. With a reading-lamp on in the background though, it was less effective.

There you go.
Exactly, my Mag LED has a strobe, but its a slow pulse, more for signaling or whatever. But other flashlights that are more tactical, like ones with ridges for defense have the fast strobe, which blinds the attacker and gives you a chance to run away, or a chance for officials to apprehend someone. I'm sure most people have been in a room with a strobe before and you notice its harder to focus and things don't move slowly, also it blinds you if your staring at it. The reason is for defense and tactical purposes.
The Following User Says Thank You to Drkknight614 For This Useful Post:
Old 01-16-2010, 06:34 PM
Survivor

Thanked 3,606 Times in 1,686 Posts

In addition to the above reasons a strobe mode will stand out much more where there are many other "constant on" lights, ie, a bicyclist with a strobing headlight will stand out much more to other motorists than a bicyclist with a constant on headlight (same goes for tail light) in an urban setting.
The Following User Says Thank You to Kipper For This Useful Post:
Old 01-20-2010, 03:51 AM

Just from my exprience; Many of the ones we use in law enforcement have that feature for a tactical self defense application. The bad guys seem to automatically shoot at the flashlight. In low light situations that's really the only target readily presented. It can help conceal your movements and give you a tactical advantage thanks to its ability to disorient. In a more civilian application its great for signaling, the strobe will catch the eye faster that simply waving a steady beam. But be careful, high rate strobes can trigger seizures in those with photo-sensitive epilepsy.
Old 01-20-2010, 02:56 PM
Survivor

Thanked 4,476 Times in 2,441 Posts

Mine has a strobe that it calls self-defense mode. But, it takes too long to get to that setting, you have to scroll through different functions. Anything like this that's even remotely being considered as a true self defense tool should be instantly available, shouldn't have to think about it and spend time fumbling to get there.
Old 01-23-2010, 05:24 PM
Kibitzer

Thanked 2,985 Times in 1,849 Posts

So, I guess if you're used to the strobe/disco lights, you can beat the effect of strobe flashlight??
Old 01-23-2010, 10:55 PM

All my flashlights have strobe mode, IMO its one of the most important features of a light.

Forgetting about an "end of world" idea the strobe mode is extremely useful in a prep bag or first aid kit. I used mine when I pulled off the highway to help with a blown tire, sure you can use your 4 ways (and you should) but like car alarms most people are conditioned to ignore them. A blinking super bright flashlight in the roof (I believe) will add an extra level of visibility.
Old 01-24-2010, 07:32 AM
Old Soldier

Thanked 1,462 Times in 631 Posts

I wish I could find one that would last and had a strobe function. Im still carrying my mil strobe for marking landing zones. It needs to have blue and red filters too, while we are wishing, takes a beating and doesnt break and doesnt require an instruction manual to switch settings
Old 01-24-2010, 02:30 PM

Isnt the strobe function also a little fun to play with a dark room? It is for me.
Old 01-25-2010, 02:35 PM

In probably 95% (or better) of civilian applications a strobe is not "needed" per se. Then again, if the one law enforcement contributor to this thread says it can give a LEO a tactical advantage by drawing an attacker's focus to the light and away from your center mass (if you're using it right), then there's no disadvantage to having a strobe-capable tactical-style light next to your bed (as long as it has a memory function) and have it set to strobe. Like others have observed, if you have to mess around with it to get to the strobe, it's useless as a defense tool.

Two of my 2 X RCR123A torches have a strobe function. When I bought both of them, I was working on an armored truck and working quite a few hours per week at night due to a lot of overtime hours. One is 220 lumens and the other is 270 lumens. Both are powerful enough to cause some pretty severe discomfort for anyone getting hit with 'em if it's dark, but even in a semi-well-lit parking lot or structure, they're pretty ineffective. I tested them on myself quite a bit in various lightings and have determined that in most situations, they're not very useful. But then again, like jdub4key said, they're fun to play with and that's an added value that no manufacturer that I've seen has even advertised!

I ended up getting a 2 X 18650, 650 lumen, 6 X Cree Q4-WC's emitter Romisen RC-T6 to carry on duty. The switch is on the side instead of a tail switch. It's easily indexed with your thumb and goes from low to medium to high to off with four successive clicks (no memory). I'd like it better if it did have memory, but even the low setting is a solid 200+ lumens. One click will disorient an attacker in the dark just like the smaller tacticals, and either of the next two will blind them, or at least force them to close their eyes or look the other way. Closed eyes or looking away or temporarily blinded beats "disoriented" to me any day of the week! Besides that, the light was just easier to use and better-suited for the kind of duty I was puttin' it through at the time.

I could see the 220 and 270 lumen strobes being very useful for signaling if you're lost in the woods or injured and can't move well in an area where choppers will be looking for you etc. The 220 went on my rifle and the 270 remains by my bedside set on strobe. The Romisen is MOLLE'ed on my BoB and I recently got another 2 X RCR123 for EDC that doesn't have a strobe.

Blues
Old 01-25-2010, 03:22 PM
SquiddusMaximus (Retired)

Thanked 3,079 Times in 1,337 Posts

A long time ago I used to maintain some flight deck gear. I can neither confirm nor deny if one or two of these wound up in a seabag while PCS. They are in each BoB and there is a conversion cap for using 123 size batteries.

For the uninitiated, the AN/SDU-5/E is a personal distress strobe light originally carried by aviators as a piece of their survival kit. The strobe light was originally designed to run off of one BA-1574/U mercury battery (NSN 6230-00-067-5209.) These batteries have been rendered obsolete and have since been replaced by a number of alternatives, including the BA-5374/U lithium manganese dioxide battery (NSN 6135-01-455-9846) as well as the Kodak 123 lithium camera battery (in the case of the 123 battery two are required, as is an adapter for the battery well.)
http://kitup.military.com/2007/02/index.html

I have them in case of needing to be rescued, signaling other parties or as a diversion.
Old 01-25-2010, 08:29 PM

Most lights offering a strobe are waterproof/resistant. Secured to a life jacket/vest or if kayaking or canoeing and get stuck in the middle of the river on a rock I think it would be a great option on my olight/fenix/surefire/itp cree led. .
Old 01-25-2010, 08:35 PM
Christian Survivalist

Thanked 1,479 Times in 859 Posts

I have a strobe/flashlight combo. If you want to be seen because you want to be rescued, they are awesome. You wouldn't want them turned on if you are trying to avoid people.

The situations I am thinking of is a natural disaster where people are trying to find you to rescue you.

1) Volcano
2) Any disaster at night
3) on a boat and fell in the water
4) Lost hiking at night

I use the ACR Strobe. Its water proof and uses a magnetic switch to turn it on. I really like mine.

I sell this item at: http://www.readypro.biz/acr-recreati...ght-combo.html
Old 01-25-2010, 11:15 PM
VIP Member

Thanked 1,733 Times in 675 Posts

I like your light, Survive It. I'll have to check that out.

My husband and I are getting up in age so I bought us some hiking poles to give us a little more leverage on uneven ground. On one is a small compass, which we thought was cool. On the other is a strobe light - just push a little button and it flashes a red light on and off. We didn't get that until we thought about burning daylight and people looking for us. We have been caught outside after sundown before!
The Following User Says Thank You to sherrieallen For This Useful Post:
Old 01-29-2010, 01:03 PM
Prepared

I love the strobe on my fenix lights ! Let me tell you 20 years as a FF I learned that being on a street can be as risky as in a burning building.

My strobe is great for stopping traffic ! Its noticed earlier then any other light I've used . I bought one for each guy on my crew .

Walking my dog at night its great also. See a car coming turn on light, car seems like it my not see me start to raise light,still no effect ? hit strobe.

Cars move over,thank you very much ! I move to BTW,I try to get of road but in winter with snow banks, not possible.
Old 01-29-2010, 01:20 PM

you can get strobeing LED lights that attach to life jackets, they automaticly turn on when soaked in water, rich is awesome if your into boating and want a chance to be found if you go overboard at night time. I always wonder why whenever I watch that show deadliest catch they aren't wearing survival floater suits with those lights attached to them..
The Following User Says Thank You to Schwillis For This Useful Post:
Old 01-29-2010, 02:59 PM
AKA The Dragon

Thanked 1,934 Times in 947 Posts

I have a strobe function on most of my LED lanterns, some strobe different colours.

Have not been in a situation where this function has been required, but is there if needed for signalling or a warning light.

But having said that, the strobe rate can cause some problems with epilepsy in some people.