Survivalist Forum

Advertise Here

Go Back   Survivalist Forum > Survival & Preparedness Forum > Disaster Preparedness General Discussion
Articles Chat Room Classifieds Donations Gallery Groups Links Store Survival Files

Disaster Preparedness General Discussion Anything Disaster Preparedness or Survival Related

Advertise Here

Old 01-11-2010, 03:35 PM
Target Shooter

Default Stand By Generators

Advertise Here

Howdy all,

As you all know by now, I don't say to much and I have been here for 1 1/2 years......lol.....but I do have a question to ask.

I have been looking at getting a permanent standby generator that runs off Natural Gas. My question is two-fold:

1. Does anyone know if these generators are EMP protected? I have checked with local dealers in my area and they seemed not to know the answer.

2. Let's say the generator is EMP protected, if a massive EMP did occur, would/is the Natural Gas Company EMP hardened so the Natural Gas would continue to flow? I contacted my local gas company and they gave me the standard corporate answer of "yes, everything would be fine". However, I feel the answer came to fast and easy.

Any thoughts?

Thanks
Old 01-11-2010, 03:39 PM
Hunter

Thanked 1,663 Times in 670 Posts
Awards Showcase
Outstanding Thread 
Total Awards: 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by MissileD11 View Post
Howdy all,

As you all know by now, I don't say to much and I have been here for 1 1/2 years......lol.....but I do have a question to ask.

I have been looking at getting a permanent standby generator that runs off Natural Gas. My question is two-fold:

1. Does anyone know if these generators are EMP protected? I have checked with local dealers in my area and they seemed not to know the answer.

2. Let's say the generator is EMP protected, if a massive EMP did occur, would/is the Natural Gas Company EMP hardened so the Natural Gas would continue to flow? I contacted my local gas company and they gave me the standard corporate answer of "yes, everything would be fine". However, I feel the answer came to fast and easy.
No and No.

There is painfully little in this country hardened against EMP. Even a good deal of the military is vulnerable.
Old 01-11-2010, 03:51 PM
Walking methane refinery

Thanked 104,909 Times in 33,603 Posts
Awards Showcase
Outstanding Member 
Total Awards: 1

Having a generator for short term crisis is a good thing, but realistically the only way to plan for long term is to break your dependance on electricity and plan around it. Canning and dehydrating rather than freezing, wood stove rather than fan forced heat, alternate lighting, etc.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to MikeK For This Useful Post:
Old 01-11-2010, 04:51 PM

Thanked 1,115 Times in 494 Posts

Don't let the EMP issue deter you from getting a generator.

An EMP event is possible, but very unlikely (comparatively speaking). There are a good number of other scenarios where you would be "just fine and okey-doke" having a generator.

As MikeK points out, though, your planning should be to eliminate as much as possible the -need- for power. Among other things it allows you to have a smaller generator.

Nice to have, though!

Better to have and not need...so on and so forth.
Old 01-11-2010, 04:57 PM
Getting ready!

Yeah they are foolish if they think they will continue to flow gas after something like that, however I still think the systems are a great thing to have if you have no alternative power to rely on......
Old 01-11-2010, 05:30 PM
Target Shooter

Lightbulb

I agree with all the posts so far they are correct and contain some good advice. On the other hand if you are concerned that the gas will stop flowing you can get an onsite storage tank that will keep you going in the short term. Additionally if you are worried about fried electronics in your genny you can always store duplicate electronic parts for it and other valuable electronics in a faraday cage.

You seemed to be concerned primarily with EMP so I would suggest looking at a couple other threads dealing with that subject but be careful there is a lot of misinformation concerning this topic so read carefully. isopsycho is one of the more knowledgeable forum members on this topic and posts on various aspects of the subject which are worth a read.

Here are a couple threads related to EMP to get you started.

http://www.survivalistboards.com/showthread.php?t=88308
http://www.survivalistboards.com/showthread.php?t=88747
http://www.survivalistboards.com/showthread.php?t=58699

Good luck with your purchase let us know what you get.