Survivalist Forum

Advertise Here

Go Back   Survivalist Forum > Firearms and Other Weapons Forum > Military Weapons Forum
Articles Chat Room Classifieds Donations Gallery Groups Links Store Survival Files

Notices

Military Weapons Forum AR15, AK47, SKS, H&K, Galil, CETME, FN/FAL, Tanks, Ships, Jets, Helicopters....

Advertise Here

Old 03-15-2008, 04:41 PM
Haha

Thanked 2,117 Times in 1,083 Posts
Default Century Arms Romanian WASR 10 (AK-47)

Advertise Here

For some time now I have been hearing rumors that Century Arms does not do a good job of putting their guns together. Especially AK-47 type. I don't own any guns from century so I really can't bad mouth them and be honest.

Anyway on with my speal. My teammate bought a Century Arms Romanian WASR 10 a few weeks ago. We pooled some cash together and bought a few of those polymer plastic magazines to test them out and see how they work. I got them yesterday and tested them out in my AK. They fit perfectly, fed perfectly, and seemed durable enough. So I gave my buddy his share of the mags and he told me he would try them out and report back to me on the function. He called me today saying they didn't even fit.

He said they wouldn't snap into place and secure. So I said I would be over in the next few days to take a look at this and compare his rifle to mine since I havn't seen his yet. While I was looking at the reviews on cheaper than dirt I found many people saying Century Arms AK rifles will not fit these magazines. I don't know who to beleive. I told my buddy not to shave the magazines down to make them fit (dunno if that voids warranty) He wanted to know If I would trade him two of my steal ones.

So my question is has anyone anything that could backup the statements I've heard that Century Arms could be the problem with why his AK won't take polymer mags? The AK also has a lot of wobble (more so than the usual romanian wobble) that may be from poor worksmanship during assembly.

Any feedback would be great as I need some good evidence before I tell my guy he got ripped off and was sold a POS gun.

-Cade
Old 03-15-2008, 07:46 PM
Phear mai SKS

The wasr 10 variant of the AK is basically the "bargain bin" AK. they typically shoot fine, but some of them develope problems (triggerslap) and some (many that ive seen) have canted sights and off center gas blocks (the last one i shot after two rounds the entire gas tube on the barrel shifted to the left) they lack the dimples on the recievers to hold the mags in place properly as well. i havent really messed with any synt mags with it, but from what ive read it wont accept all ak mags. the gun overall is a toy or a last ditch go to in an emergency. after shooting that and then shooting a well built AK (MAK-90, and yes, you can feel a huge difference) id say that he should just try to stick with steel mags. the chinese ones typically work well in the WASR.

i know a lot of guys on these boards love their wasr's and will burn me at the stake for this post but in all honestly, the rifle is just for fun and to have until he finds a better make. if he payed over 400 for it, he got ripped off. store down the road from me sells them with two 30rnd mags for 369 nib.

but it is an AK, and for the most part, it will still go bang every time.
Old 03-15-2008, 08:00 PM
Haha

Mainly I want to know about the Century company and what problems they have. I personally have Romanian with mostly all american parts and it works fine and takes all mags and no prob whats so ever.
Old 03-15-2008, 08:20 PM
Hunter

IMHO there ae two things involved here. AK mags have been made by dozens of different of countries and do vary in their dimensions a little. Second, my WASR did need a little work to the mag well. It was a shade on the small side but 10-15 minutes with a file cured that.
I only use the steel mags so I can't comment on the synthetic ones.
Old 03-15-2008, 08:54 PM
Strength and Honor

Can't vouch for Century here. I would recommend this guy if you are looking for a quality AK: http://www.arizonaresponsesystems.com/

I looked locally and everything was overpriced or junk. ARS does a quality job starting with Romanian kits. I paid a little higher than a typical AK but I wanted something good the first time.
Old 03-16-2008, 01:28 PM
"Et si omnes ego non"

I keep hearing bad rumors about Century Arms using torched receivers like you find from those AK parts kits and then they wield it back together and sorts like that...

my friend's M1 garand that he got off century arms has the wielded receiver...
Old 03-16-2008, 02:30 PM
Haha

From what my guy is telling me about his AK leaves me to beleive it looks as if it were picked off the corpse of a rebel or somthing. Really crap finish and the wood is definately old. Guess it was false advertisement when they said "new in the box"
Old 03-17-2008, 07:52 PM

Bought my WASR-3 new from a gunshow....the makers? Century.....
The first time I took the rifle to the range, it wouldn't cycle through 2 rounds.....
just jammed....

I called century...shipped it to them (them have a one year warranty)
I also requested what what caused the rifle to jam, But they never told me.
they worked on it...shipped it back...and now the rifle is good to go and it's pretty fun range gun.
Now, I know wasr-3's are famous for jamming and this isn't a wasr 10.
But this is my story and I'm sticking to it.
And no....theres no real point or objective.
Just thought I should share.
Old 03-18-2008, 04:39 PM

My friend has a wasr 10. It hasn't jammed once and my and him have put over 1,000 though it. It's not the best AK, we never really shoot to see how accurate it can be, we use cheap ammo, wolf, so it's probably not as accurate as it could be. I like to shoot it, its fun.
Old 08-16-2010, 02:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jester View Post
The wasr 10 variant of the AK is basically the "bargain bin" AK. they typically shoot fine, but some of them develope problems (triggerslap) and some (many that ive seen) have canted sights and off center gas blocks (the last one i shot after two rounds the entire gas tube on the barrel shifted to the left) they lack the dimples on the recievers to hold the mags in place properly as well. i havent really messed with any synt mags with it, but from what ive read it wont accept all ak mags. the gun overall is a toy or a last ditch go to in an emergency. after shooting that and then shooting a well built AK (MAK-90, and yes, you can feel a huge difference) id say that he should just try to stick with steel mags. the chinese ones typically work well in the WASR.

i know a lot of guys on these boards love their wasr's and will burn me at the stake for this post but in all honestly, the rifle is just for fun and to have until he finds a better make. if he payed over 400 for it, he got ripped off. store down the road from me sells them with two 30rnd mags for 369 nib.

but it is an AK, and for the most part, it will still go bang every time.
Hello,
I was wondering if you could give me the contact information on who is selling these AK's for $369.00 nib. I am thinking of buying one. Thanks, Bill
Old 08-16-2010, 02:59 PM
semper in angaria

Thanked 3,884 Times in 963 Posts

I have had 4 century AK's and 1 of them had a canted front site. Asside from that they were all good but I did a little fine tuning for smoother functioning.

If you are willing to put in a little time they can be flawless running tools.
Old 08-17-2010, 09:33 PM
Survivor

Thanked 2,353 Times in 1,038 Posts

i own 2 chrome barrel, G2 trigger, side rail i have had zero problems, i think most of the guys talking trash are just ****ed they paid twice as much for their AK
Old 08-17-2010, 09:42 PM
snafu

I have a wasr 10. I have gad to shave all my mags to get then to fit steel and metal. Not a big deal though
Old 08-17-2010, 09:45 PM
RESET CONGRESS!!

Thanked 12,408 Times in 4,748 Posts

No problems with mine. It shoots as good as I can at 100 meters.
Old 08-19-2010, 01:19 PM
Molōn Labe!

Awards Showcase
Outstanding Gardening Post or Thread Outstanding Gardening Post or Thread 
Total Awards: 2

the problems listed here are the problems typically associated with Century Arms. So, if you can handle these issues, like shaving down mags to fit, no big deal...

If you want it "correct" when you buy it, then sorry - pay more money for the additional labor put into it elsewhere. The SAM-7 from Arsenal, Inc. comes to mind, being an American manufactured milled receiver, but it's price is beyond my wallet...

In short, your buddy didn't get ripped off or buy a POS gun. He got exactly what he paid for. The typical import model is a single stack Romanian which is modified back to double stack, hence the magwell wobble. The canting is less of an issue, one that I haven't run across personally, but can be seen by other people. So again, if he doesn't like the idea of having to shave mags down or the magwell out a bit, then he can sell it and spend an extra hundred bucks on a diff model which already has this stuff done at factory to be "correct" grade. He might feel ****ed because he didn't know about this before the purchase. This is not unexpected with Century Arms. Good thing he didn't buy one of their early FAL imports!!

Politely recommend he research a bit more next time on manufacturers, importers, modifications they to do to be 922r compliant, and whatnot before purchasing future firearms.

When all else fails, pay more money for a recognized and trusted brand that can back up their product easily.
Old 08-19-2010, 10:28 PM
Survivor

Thanked 2,353 Times in 1,038 Posts

look for the triangle and your good to go, dont over think it remember its an AK not an AR keep it simple. just remember every time someone bolts a tacticool item on an AK a puppy is killed.

The Following 8 Users Say Thank You to ryan6864 For This Useful Post:
Old 12-09-2010, 09:48 PM

i **** my self when i saw that
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to TheKentuckyKid For This Useful Post:
Old 12-10-2010, 11:04 AM
Trapper

Thanked 1,093 Times in 376 Posts

My AK is a Century WASR. I got a good deal on it, $250 with only 30rnds through it. Only complaint I have is a little bit of Mag wobble - but that is with an empty mag - as soon as you have some rounds in the mag it stops. Just give it a good look over when you buy ie: canted sights. For the price your still getting a damn nice gun.
Old 12-11-2010, 12:10 PM

my Romy has a bit of mag wobble too. further investigation shows that the well was slightly over milled. it doesn't matter if the mag is empty or not. i've put probably 1000rnds through mine with only 2 misfires(due to bump firing- reloaded and they fired). ugly as sin, but it will keep firing so long as you can afford the ammo.
Old 12-11-2010, 12:13 PM

I can't even i.d. that "thing". i know you said its an AK, but it just looks like a mass of scopes around a water pipe. i wonder how heavy and confusing it is to wield.
The Following User Says Thank You to M.K.47-1911A1 For This Useful Post: