Survivalist Forum

Advertise Here

Go Back   Survivalist Forum > Survival & Preparedness Forum > Disaster Preparedness General Discussion
Articles Chat Room Classifieds Donations Gallery Groups Links Store Survival Files

Notices

Disaster Preparedness General Discussion Anything Disaster Preparedness or Survival Related

Advertise Here

Old 01-09-2010, 02:25 AM
Survivor

Thanked 3,446 Times in 1,407 Posts
Default Super CHEAP MRE's

Advertise Here

Best price I have ever seen on MRE's -- two cases for $89 plus shipping.

UPS Ground for me (Kansas) was $17.76, that's just over a hundred bucks for 24 meals.

Sorry if I'm wasting everyone's time -- but in my limited experience in MRE shopping this is the best deal I've ever seen! They normally run me around $70 per case shipped.

My only reservation is that they state the MRE's are packed in their OWN boxes, which means no TTI (time-temperature indicator) so no telling how they've been stored. Also no inspect/test date is given.

http://www.armygear.net/ag/store/00231.html
The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to Mortimer For This Useful Post:
Old 01-09-2010, 02:55 AM
Ego Dominus Vos

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mortimer View Post

My only reservation is that they state the MRE's are packed in their OWN boxes, which means no TTI (time-temperature indicator) so no telling how they've been stored. Also no inspect/test date is given.

That's what got me ... NO DATE ... I would verify BEFORE ordering, but that is a great price ...
Old 01-09-2010, 07:12 AM
Improvise Adapt Overcome!

Thanked 9,276 Times in 4,146 Posts

As for me, wouldn't trust my life to the cheapest anything.

all you guys (speaking to the entire forum) who are buying all your preps from paces like Cheaper than dirt.com are going to find everything you thought you prepared for is all worthless cheap flea market junk in 6 months. everything you are betting your life on is breaking, and the worlds cheapest MRE's will be nothing but rat food.

Invest in quality, not the cheapest junk you can find. When things are super cheap, there is a reason for it. You don't want SHTF to occur only to find out you aren't any more prepped than the Sheeple.
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Vanishing Nomad For This Useful Post:
Old 01-09-2010, 07:17 AM
Constitutionalist

All the places I checked online yesterday ran around 40-50$ a box of 12. The cheaper ones were on ebay.
Old 01-09-2010, 07:18 AM
Hunter

Thanked 2,631 Times in 977 Posts

Check the menus for a decent rough estimate of the series you're getting. MRE's added and discontinued different meals over the years.
Old 01-09-2010, 07:42 AM
Prepared

I ordered from them before and received them with not even a portion of the box with the date on it. They say they are shipping without case in their own packaging to save expense but I am sure it is to avoid showing the real date on the MRE's. I would not order from them again.
The Following User Says Thank You to cstockwell For This Useful Post:
Old 01-09-2010, 10:00 AM
I'll fix it

Thanked 1,839 Times in 1,019 Posts
Default Quality MRE's

Here is the site that covers everything you need to know about MRE'S.
http://www.mreinfo.com
I order fresh MRE's from MRE Depot.
http://www.mredepot.com/servlet/the-...GI-Meal/Detail
If you catch the occasional free shipping with a 2 case order special, it's a great deal.
They pack the original dated cases inside a well packed plain box that protects them from damage and prying eyes.
Their menu C MRE's have all the contents of military issue meals. Sometimes it's worth paying a higher price.
I have also ordered from The Epicenter.
http://www.theepicenter.com
Even though they ship them unprotected in the original packaging,
They have a wide selection of fresh cases and ala carte MRE products.
The mfg. dates are posted on all MRE products.
The Following User Says Thank You to techo For This Useful Post:
Old 01-09-2010, 10:57 AM
I love this forum

thanks! but I'll stick to mountain house meals. feed many and store for up to thirty years.
http://www.cabelas.com/cabelas/en/te...set=ISO-8859-1
Old 01-09-2010, 11:19 AM
Crazy old man

Smile

You didn't wast any ones time. You are aware what you ordered is veggie meals, right?
Old 01-09-2010, 11:42 AM
Trapper

I found a lot of the Mountain House products to be incredibly high in sodium. I realize a lot of the survival foods are like that, but in an emergency I want to be as healthy as possible. Foods high in salt are also going to make you consume more water.
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to danger For This Useful Post:
Old 01-09-2010, 11:49 AM
Retrofitted Sheeple

Thanked 27,574 Times in 8,702 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by danger View Post
I found a lot of the Mountain House products to be incredibly high in sodium. I realize a lot of the survival foods are like that, but in an emergency I want to be as healthy as possible. Foods high in salt are also going to make you consume more water.
Mountain House foods were designed for hikers and others engaged in long periods of strenuous exertion. The high sodium is important for replacing electrolytes lost in sweat.
The Following 10 Users Say Thank You to Basic Human Unit For This Useful Post:
Old 01-09-2010, 12:07 PM
I'll fix it

Thanked 1,839 Times in 1,019 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoshuaJK View Post
thanks! but I'll stick to mountain house meals. feed many and store for up to thirty years.
http://www.cabelas.com/cabelas/en/te...set=ISO-8859-1
I have taken a diversified approach over the last few years.
Mountain House, Provident Pantry, Honeyville & LDS #10 cans for long term storage.
MRE's and Mountain House pouches for bugouts or low aromatic cooking.
(avoiding neighbors and/or desperate refugees detecting that I have food.)
Basic canned & boxed goods for short term emergencies.

Oh, I stocked a variety of Yoder's canned meats that are designed for a long shelf life. (low sodium)

Last edited by techo; 01-09-2010 at 12:14 PM.. Reason: comment
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to techo For This Useful Post:
Old 01-09-2010, 12:13 PM
Hunter

Awards Showcase
Outstanding Gardening Post or Thread 
Total Awards: 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by techo View Post
Mountain House, Provident Pantry, Honeyville & LDS #10 cans for long term storage.

Oh, I stocked a variety of Yoder's canned meats that are designed for a long shelf life.
I like the way you think. I have just recently started doing this myself.
I havnt gotten any mountainhouse yet nor have I ever tried it, But thats next on my list
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to coinshooter For This Useful Post:
Old 01-09-2010, 12:29 PM
Hunter

Thanked 1,414 Times in 816 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by techo View Post

Oh, I stocked a variety of Yoder's canned meats that are designed for a long shelf life. (low sodium)
Thats what I do. I use a two tier approach. Long storage (more expensive) foods like mre's and mountain house. Then I store the normal grocery type foods which I constantly rotate. Once you get going and organized it works well.

I like buying my mre's from epi center and long life. They sell the individual pieces and they are fresh. For lage families I like the squad tray packs from long life. Their inventory changes often so keep checking back if you do not see something you like.

As for mre's on Ebay. Buyer beware. Make sure you get a pic of the case you are getting and you can see the TTI lable and dates. MREINFO.com (I'm a member) has all the info you need on how to decipher the numbers.

Good Luck
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Biltong For This Useful Post:
Old 01-09-2010, 12:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mortimer View Post

Yikes, those are a couple big ifs there ... great price, yes, BUT ...

Good luck with them.
Old 01-09-2010, 12:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cstockwell View Post
I ordered from them before and received them with not even a portion of the box with the date on it. They say they are shipping without case in their own packaging to save expense but I am sure it is to avoid showing the real date on the MRE's. I would not order from them again.
Not to offend the OP in any manner, but I agree with cstockwell on this ...
Old 01-09-2010, 12:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by coinshooter View Post
I like the way you think. I have just recently started doing this myself.
I havnt gotten any mountainhouse yet nor have I ever tried it, But thats next on my list
Mountain house foods are great for storing long term. The #10 cans will store for up to 30 years and the pouches up to 7 years I believe. I have a 7 day kit stored for each member of my family, the cheapest I have seen it is $116 from nitro-pak. I watch for sales at the ready store and emergency essentials and that is when I stock up on #10 cans.

As for taste, the kids and I taste tested some of them when we first started storing them. Scrambled eggs with bacon was a favorite, along with stroganoff, chicken and rice, lasagna and mac & cheese. The only one they really didn't care for was the chili mac.
Old 01-09-2010, 09:06 PM
Walking methane refinery

Thanked 92,545 Times in 30,842 Posts
Awards Showcase
Outstanding Member 
Total Awards: 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jendeere View Post
Mountain house foods are great for storing long term. The #10 cans will store for up to 30 years and the pouches up to 7 years I believe. I have a 7 day kit stored for each member of my family, the cheapest I have seen it is $116 from nitro-pak. I watch for sales at the ready store and emergency essentials and that is when I stock up on #10 cans.
For those just getting started with food storage, compare freeze dried to dehydrated before you buy. Dehydrated costs FAR less per serving and is a lot less bulky so you get just as much food, but have to store far fewer cans. Also, it's a lot more versatile. Instead of being a premade food that is always the same food, dehydrated foods are ingredients that can be made into many different foods, so appetite fatigue is less of an issue. Also, if you don't like the way a freeze dried entree is seasoned, it's hard to change it. If you make your own, you can season it any way you want.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to MikeK For This Useful Post:
Old 01-10-2010, 12:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeK View Post
For those just getting started with food storage, compare freeze dried to dehydrated before you buy. Dehydrated costs FAR less per serving and is a lot less bulky so you get just as much food, but have to store far fewer cans. Also, it's a lot more versatile. Instead of being a premade food that is always the same food, dehydrated foods are ingredients that can be made into many different foods, so appetite fatigue is less of an issue. Also, if you don't like the way a freeze dried entree is seasoned, it's hard to change it. If you make your own, you can season it any way you want.
You make a good point. Versatility is nice, and being able to season your food the way you like it. I store a good mix of freeze dried and dehydrated food, but what I like best about freeze dried is no cooking. I figure if shtf, it might be nice to just add water and not have to prepare a meal. The added bonus is I already know my family will eat these meals, my kids ask for the scrambled eggs and bacon one every morning
The Following User Says Thank You to Jendeere For This Useful Post:
Old 01-10-2010, 12:48 AM
Preparing since 1972

Thanked 4,735 Times in 2,238 Posts
Thumbs up

Any food,meds ect with the date removed i would stay away from...This is a MAJOR RED flag.........I have MRE"s and Mountain House..The past year my Mountain House foods have been purchased from www.thereadystorecom ...I really like the taste of Mountain House and eat some thruout each week....What's nice with the MRE's is when i go out hiking i don't have to mix water in them....... Walmart sells some Mountain House products in their Sporting Goods dept by the camping gear...
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to joes For This Useful Post: