Survivalist Forum

Advertise Here

Go Back   Survivalist Forum > Survival & Preparedness Forum > Disaster Preparedness General Discussion
Articles Chat Room Classifieds Donations Gallery Groups Links Store Survival Files

Disaster Preparedness General Discussion Anything Disaster Preparedness or Survival Related

Advertise Here

Old 01-07-2010, 08:22 PM
Today's Survival Show

Default Disaster hoarding

Advertise Here

Just a quick post to get you thinking about what types of items tend to be hoarded the most in a national, regional or local emergency. As you decide what to stock up on, consider these first if you haven't already. Don't wait until the last minute either. I've already heard lots of stories about people rushing to the stores this winter (especially when blizzards and ice storms are forecasted) to buy these at the last minute.

Generators (quality one's can cost a lot so do your research), water filters and purifiers, firewood, Coleman fuel or charcoal lighter, bleach, guns and ammo, lamp oil and lamps, hand can openers(cheap and you should have one anyway) ,honey, rice and beans,vegetable or cooking oil, water containers (get food grade), baby supplies (diapers and wipes), cookstoves (Coleman type),Sterno,vitamins and over the counter pain killers, thermal underwear, gas containers(plastic or metal), clothes pins (lines and hangers too), powdered and condensed milk, canned meat, garbage bags(contractor grade),flour and yeast, salt, dog and cat food, matches(strike anywhere type), hygiene products (shampoo,toothpaste,mouthwash,dental floss,deodorant), batteries(all types), ice chests (insulated),flashlights or lightsticks, axes or saws, fire extinguishers, propane cylinders and let's not forget...toilet paper and paper towels!

A few notes to think about: insulated ice chests will usually prevent items from freezing in the winter. You can build shelters with garbage bags, and bleach has many uses (including disinfecting areas where corpses were.) Sorry if that last statement bothers you, but I got that one from Cody Lundin (). After a large scale disaster...think about it!
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to TodaysSurvival For This Useful Post:
Old 01-07-2010, 08:26 PM
Survivor

Thanked 4,813 Times in 1,696 Posts

Sounds like a reading of the 100 Items to Disappear First

http://www.survivalistboards.com/showthread.php?t=43758
Old 01-07-2010, 08:37 PM
Survivor

Thanked 2,396 Times in 1,466 Posts

I have both of his books and they are full of good tips and info...I'd recommend them to anyone who is trying to get prepped and up to speed on being part of the 7% he's refering to...
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Peter For This Useful Post:
Old 01-07-2010, 08:40 PM
I have control issues

Thanked 2,816 Times in 1,413 Posts
Awards Showcase
Outstanding Gardening Post or Thread 
Total Awards: 1

Have to agree with you. Have stocks of everything you listed, except for the baby supplies (all the kids are grown and gone, although I DO have one unopened package of cloth diapers--they have more uses than just diapering babies)
The Following User Says Thank You to IceFire For This Useful Post: