Survivalist Forum

Advertise Here

Go Back   Survivalist Forum > Survival & Preparedness Forum > Urban Survival > Vehicles & Transportation
Articles Chat Room Classifieds Donations Gallery Groups Links Store Survival Files

Advertise Here

Old 01-06-2010, 08:04 PM
Hunter

Default Sidekick VW Diesel converstion question

Advertise Here

Hello everyone,

I have recently decided to build a BOV. The Idea is to convert an old suzuki sidekick into a diesel using a motor I have had for a while, and a conversion kit available through a few suppliers like rocky-road.com.

The reason I chose to make a diesel conversion ( other than the added torque and fuel milage ) was its resistance to EMP.

My question then is about the motor I have. Its from a '94 Jetta GL, and I know its a MECHANICAL fuel injected motor, 1.9L Turbo

Is this the best bet as opposed to say the later model TDI which had electronic fuel injection???

Any other view or suggestions about this mod would also be appreciated.
Old 01-06-2010, 08:27 PM
My Temperature is Right

Thanked 4,130 Times in 2,318 Posts

You do realize that the VW diesel is one of the most fragile diesel engines you can run. One overheat and it's history. The piston clearance in the cylinder bore is like .010/.015. They just chew themselves up if they get hot. The mechanical injection system is pretty bullet proof and will most likely out last the motor.
Old 01-07-2010, 11:25 PM
Survivor

Thanked 2,812 Times in 1,753 Posts

You talking several grand there. Just for the motor. What about rebuilding the axles, fixing the rust, re-doing the suspension, and such.

If EMP occurs, the last thing you want to do is leave your home.
Old 01-08-2010, 12:01 AM
Target Shooter

From what I've heard, you can build a mechanically injected tdi fairly easily. Google m-tdi.
Old 01-08-2010, 12:40 AM
Recent Blog:
Tuefel Hunden

Older rabbit diesels or trucks work great. If you can do the work its worth it. Had a diesel pick up VW and got rid of it and found a isuzu pup and then found a 4x4 parts luv diesel. They are old but do well with bio fuel as do the older VW's good luck seems your on the right track!
Old 01-09-2010, 03:30 PM
I love this forum

Thanked 7,285 Times in 3,149 Posts

its a swap for a sami maybe but a sidekick has plenty of power, gets 30 mpg, and runs forever, whereever. why mess with that? it would be cheaper to build a faraday cage to park one in.
Old 01-09-2010, 03:40 PM
Darting from the shadows

Thanked 6,486 Times in 2,813 Posts
Awards Showcase
Outstanding Helpful Post 
Total Awards: 1

Why not just look for the Sidekicks that came with the 2L turbo diesel?
Sure they're electronic injection but heck even with the price of a new spare computer your still gonna save money on a conversion.

Or if your set on building, look for the most common 4cyl diesel light truck in your area and put that in.
At least then you'd have less of a problem getting spare parts for it over a VW diesel.
Old 01-09-2010, 04:59 PM
Hunter

Thanked 2,224 Times in 906 Posts

If you are looking for a toy, knock yourself out. As far as a vehicle with mechanical integrity, I wouldn't bet the farm on this combo. Have you tried to get parts for VW lately? Dealers stock little, and unless you have a significant part source locally, you might find yourself transported by PF Flyer / Schwinn in a PSHTF scenario. I would opt for something common that parts could be scrounged up for. As far as EMP attack, stock a spare engine computer [ECU] for your vehicle. You can pick up a used one from a salvage yard for a small fraction of a new one. Most are plug and play units. Find out where yours is located, keep a spare on a shelf, find a siphon hose and you are good to roam the post apocalyptic world at your leisure. Once you install your spare ECU, you may not have tail lights, or possibly have to manually shift the transmission. There may be idiot lights on in the dash. If I saw Godzilla in my rear view mirror, I would just drive it like that....
Old 01-09-2010, 06:15 PM
RIP America 1776-2012

Thanked 2,428 Times in 1,000 Posts

For what you're thinking of check this place out, they're putting 4cyl tractor engines into a wide variety of vehicles with very good results.

www.shadetreeconversions.com
Old 01-09-2010, 06:28 PM
I love this forum

not picking on the OP, more everyone that gets obsessed with EMP. instead of buying stuff you heard was EMP proof, why not learn all there is to know about EMP's and what they will or wont affect?

heres a hint, its not JUST the ECM, anything carbed is not EMP proof.
alternators are affected.

and i dont see any realistic bonus for having a diesel bov. they fryer oil will be gone in no time after TSHTF. anti-gelling additives will be gone. diesel may or may not be easier to find then gasoline. theres no guarantees.
Old 01-09-2010, 06:38 PM
RIP America 1776-2012

Thanked 2,428 Times in 1,000 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by trixie View Post
not picking on the OP, more everyone that gets obsessed with EMP. instead of buying stuff you heard was EMP proof, why not learn all there is to know about EMP's and what they will or wont affect?

heres a hint, its not JUST the ECM, anything carbed is not EMP proof.
alternators are affected.

and i dont see any realistic bonus for having a diesel bov. they fryer oil will be gone in no time after TSHTF. anti-gelling additives will be gone. diesel may or may not be easier to find then gasoline. theres no guarantees.
That may be true, but a diesel will run on kerosene, home heating oil, JP5 and JP8 jet fuels, and if you spend a few dollars to get the conversion, used cooking oil.

Your options for finding a fuel source for your diesel are a lot better.
Old 01-09-2010, 06:44 PM
I love this forum

Quote:
Originally Posted by SIXPACK View Post
That may be true, but a diesel will run on kerosene, home heating oil, JP5 and JP8 jet fuels, and if you spend a few dollars to get the conversion, used cooking oil.

Your options for finding a fuel source for your diesel are a lot better.
true. gas engines can run on kerosene. they can run on half gas/half diesel. hillbillies call it d-gas? and they can run on.......wood gas!(gasified wood smoke) they can be made to run on alcahol that you can make.

i dont know if there is a clear winner. i guess own BOTH.

after an EMP, if you have anything that runs you will be golden as far as getting fuel, there will be 50 BILLION dead cars full of fuel all over the place.
then again everyone will want to kill you to get that runner.
Old 01-10-2010, 11:43 AM
This is a great survival forum

Thanked 2,215 Times in 1,010 Posts

http://www.acmeadapters.com/store_engine.php

for all your vw to suzuki conversion needs,
Old 01-27-2010, 08:03 PM
Being Prepared

I built a diesel Samurai using a 1.6L NA vw engine. They are great engines despite the garbage posted in this thread. Mine got 35 mpg in mixed driving. It was gutless with a top speed of 72 mph, but.. it 4 wheeled GREAT! No regrets, EMP proof except for maybe the alternator. Easy to start and lots of spare parts available. It will cost about $1400 to do full proper rebuild including milling the head and valve job, block bore, with new and expensive oversize german pistons. I also rebuilt a 1981 Diesel VW pickup which is a GREAT BOV at 52 mpg loaded at 65 mph. I will go 630 miles on a tank.

Have fun. BTW, I sold mine and now have built up a larger 4 passenger 1986 Isuzu turbo diesel trooper as my BOV.

All these vehicles run well on kerosene (Jet-A) with a lubricity additive, losing 7% mileage due to less BTU content in the fuel.

Bubba
The Following User Says Thank You to BigFootDriver For This Useful Post:
Old 10-03-2010, 08:41 AM

Nothing like the voice of firsthand experience. Thanks, Bubba!

Stay Safe,
AGreyMan