Survivalist Forum

Advertise Here

Go Back   Survivalist Forum > Survival & Preparedness Forum > Farming, Gardening & Homesteading
Articles Chat Room Classifieds Donations Gallery Groups Links Store Survival Files

Farming, Gardening & Homesteading Country lifestyle, homesteading and living off the grid.

Advertise Here

Old 03-14-2008, 01:43 AM
Thank You, Lord....

Default Growing fish in a barrel

Advertise Here

I remember reading maybe 30-40 yrs ago ..probably in Mother Earth when it was real, about homestead raising fish in a barrel, or any tank of larger proportions... seems like they were raising catfish in one case and Talapia in another.. feeding flys from a screened in fly farm... can't remember... might work for a survival homestead... any word on this out there... jus' a thought pilgrim78
The Following User Says Thank You to pilgrim78 For This Useful Post:
Old 03-15-2008, 07:45 PM
I love this forum

I raise tilapia. No reason a barrel wouldn't work, especially if you provide an airstone and a filtration system. Absent those things, you would need to keep only a small population.
Old 03-16-2008, 08:31 AM
Do That Voodoo That He Do

Where do you get your starter tilapia? I'd love to plan setting up a fish system, but there doesn't seem to be a convenient place to get the fish other than big stocking companies.

I grew a bullhead catfish in a 30 gallon tank in my dorm room for three years as an undergrad, but I just caught him in a minnow trap.
Old 03-16-2008, 08:49 AM
A friend of the Site

You problably read an article by Kurt Saxon

The text and photographs of this article are from Organic Gardening and Farming November, 1973

Philip Mahan demonstrates how a fish is transferred from the fry tank to the barrel.

Quote:
RAISING CATFISH IN A BARREL

A biological food chain in the back yard produces fresh fish
for the table and compost for the garden.

By Philip and Joyce Mahan

After some study and experimentation, we have set up a productive food chain-- table scraps to earthworms to catfish--in our back yard. The project is satisfactory in many respects, utilizing waste materials to produce fresh fish for food and at the same time yielding ample compost for a small garden. The material cost is minimal. The whole operation can be set up for less that $15.00. The equipment occupies only about 12 square feet of space, and the entire assembly can be easily moved if necessary.

The materials can be very simple: Two 55-gallon steel drums, three panes of glass 24 inches square, and a medium-sized aquarium air pump. One of the drums will serve as a tank for the fish, oxygen being supplied by the air pump; and the second drum should be cut in half to provide two bins for the worms. The panes of glass are used as covers for the worm bins and fish tank, and for ease and safety in handling can be framed with scrap lumber.

We chose catfish because they are readily available in our part of Alabama, and reach eating size in a summer. Various small members of the sunfish family, such as bluegill or bream, would also be suitable..................

http://www.kurtsaxon.com/foods007.htm

Last edited by kev; 05-18-2010 at 09:41 AM.. Reason: added link
The Following 13 Users Say Thank You to eeyore For This Useful Post:
Old 03-16-2008, 07:18 PM
I love this forum

If you want to raise tilapia, start with these guys:

http://rdaquafarms.com/Tips.html

I've dealt with them and they're good folks.
Old 03-16-2008, 10:09 PM
Thank You, Lord....

Quote:
Originally Posted by eeyore View Post
You problably read an article by Kurt Saxon

http://www.kurtsaxon.com/foods007.htm
Yup that's the article.. thanks for reminding me about Kurt.. been a long time, forgot about him and his stuff... thanks pilgrim78
Old 03-20-2008, 10:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by stoneunhenged View Post
If you want to raise tilapia, start with these guys:

http://rdaquafarms.com/Tips.html

I've dealt with them and they're good folks.
Interesting, although it seems they only ship fish to their state?

So, here's something I'm wondering: Has anyone here actually done this for an extended period of time? I know it's very possible. There are several government programs helping hispanic communities in some cities (Chicago, I believe?) set these up in 100 gallon tanks in their apartments.

Here's my question: In the event of a real economic/lifestyle slowdown, where are you going to get the fish for generation after generation? I know people who breed and raise guppies in small tanks, but that's a very different situation than larger fish like tilapia and catfish. Where are your fingerlings going to come from?
Old 03-20-2008, 11:57 AM
The Bad guy

ive raised bluegill for years. easiest food source in the world. they are often sold in pet stores to get you started, or you can catch your own. i keep them in a 50 gal aquairium. i have 15 or so in the adult section right now. i preferr them small so we eat them when they get about 5-6 inches long which takes about 5 months or so it seems at the most. i have a section seperated for the young. once the young get tranferred into the adult section we eat the adults that are of proper size. i feed them bread, hot dogs, crickets, dog food, bologna, chicken scraps, etc..easy fish. once my situation is suitable for a larger program ill be going big enough to give fish away.
The Following User Says Thank You to varmintstalkers For This Useful Post:
Old 03-20-2008, 01:04 PM
Permanently gone

Thanked 3,684 Times in 1,018 Posts

Could you raise crayfish (crawdads) in water tank set-up?
Old 03-20-2008, 01:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lamb View Post
Could you raise crayfish (crawdads) in water tank set-up?
You should be able to (they are mini water cockroaches), but your concern would be physical space. They don't have the ability to be verticle like fish would. You'd be limited by floor space versus eating quantities.

One of my buddies has a lot of experience with commercial fish and shrimp farming (big operations). His degree work was primarily on lobster and salmon. I'll see he says as far as crayfish goes.

Edit: You might want to think about some crayfish in WITH the fish. You'd need to keep really small fish safe from the bigger crayfish, but it should get to a point fairly quickly as to where they won't really be an issue to each other. The crayfish would do a great job of scavenging waste food from the bottom of the tank.

You'd still want a bigger floorspace tank rather than barrels, I would imagine, unless you just wanted a few clean-up crayfish in there.
The Following User Says Thank You to Borris For This Useful Post:
Old 03-20-2008, 01:35 PM
Permanently gone

Thanked 3,684 Times in 1,018 Posts

Cool!
I happen to like crayfish.
Yummmmmmm....
I can only eat species of water things that are FRESH water grown as I am severely allergic to iodine.Frequently, I have to pass up the crayfish at the market as they are raised in *brackish* water which gives them an iodine content that causes me to have a reaction. Same goes for fish. No seafood.

Wouldn't be so bad if I had been born this way, but it is an acquired allergy...so when I started reacting badly, I already knew the joys of lobster and crab and swordfish....sigh...

I have had *farm raised* crayfish from a fresh water source before...really good.
Old 03-21-2008, 09:46 AM
I love this forum

I've tried to raise crayfish and they are not near as productive as raising fish in tight quarters. Crayfish can be cannibalistic, so if you keep them at sufficiently low densities, you'll produce only a few ounces of meat every few months in small growing tanks. It's an idea that sounds cool in concept but is difficult in execution.
Old 03-23-2008, 11:41 PM
The end is near.

Thanked 1,069 Times in 451 Posts

That's too bad. I love crayfish. But I know there are crayfish traps to take them from the wild, so I should be able to munch on them occasionally.

Lamb, my dad loves soft-shell crab. But like you, he is allergic. His throat will swell shut if he doesn't get medication, so it's life and death for him. I watched him take Benadryl and then eat them one night. Now that is both dedication to seafood and a lot of confidence in Benadryl. lol. Personally, I thought he was a moron for taking that risk, but to each his own.

How about raising crayfish in a pond? Is there anything you can do to encourage a population of crayfish in a pond? And could a pond sustain a large population of crayfish?
Old 03-24-2008, 05:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mangyhyena View Post

How about raising crayfish in a pond? Is there anything you can do to encourage a population of crayfish in a pond? And could a pond sustain a large population of crayfish?
Throw in a dead goat every once in a while.

Old 03-24-2008, 05:51 AM
The Bad guy

you can add different levels to compensate for floor space, but i wouldnt waste my time growing crawdads. shrimp are much more productive.

a crawdad pond will do fine if it is large enough. dead anything will work well.
Old 03-24-2008, 08:59 AM
VIP Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mangyhyena View Post
That's too bad. I love crayfish. But I know there are crayfish traps to take them from the wild, so I should be able to munch on them occasionally.

Lamb, my dad loves soft-shell crab. But like you, he is allergic. His throat will swell shut if he doesn't get medication, so it's life and death for him. I watched him take Benadryl and then eat them one night. Now that is both dedication to seafood and a lot of confidence in Benadryl. lol. Personally, I thought he was a moron for taking that risk, but to each his own.

mangyhyena,
I had a printout I think was put out by Texas A&M University, on how to raise crawfish commercially. It was about 50 pages. The one thing that stuck with me, was that a enclosed pond needed flowing water. I think they have a big deep well and a large pump that can spray the water up into the air. As I remember, there was a lot to it. I have a series of small ponds on my land, that I plan to expand. There is also a spill over into a wetland that I want to put a small levee around, then dig shallow canals across. In this flooded area I want to try and grow rice. Around here all the rice farmers raise crawfish inside their rice fields. With this set up, I could have rice, fish, and crawfish on the table, and not to mention all the wild life that will come to the ponds and wetland to eat and drink.
Old 10-06-2008, 09:39 PM

This is a very helpful article. I am interested in raising fish to teach the children different aspects of life. thanks so much. Jim.
Old 10-06-2008, 11:12 PM
Bleach blonde on fire :p

Thanked 9,334 Times in 3,761 Posts

We raise catfish & bluegill in a old pool.
The Following User Says Thank You to rncmomx2 For This Useful Post:
Old 10-11-2008, 08:35 PM
Survivor

Thanked 5,746 Times in 2,774 Posts

After visiting the local fish hatchery on Long Island (New York stocks fishing and hunting areas with bass, trout and quail for our downstate hunters and fisher-persons) I looked into the cost of the fish hatchery set up. Check out this site. Goes over initial costs for different species and profitability if raising for cash. Aquaculture is not a bad side business if you have the space.

http://aquanic.org/
Old 10-11-2008, 09:28 PM

ahh I used to catch crayfish when I was little. Not even a mile upstream from where I lived was a steel plant with a quarry leaching in to the river. It is now a Superfund Site.