Survivalist Forum

Advertise Here

Go Back   Survivalist Forum > Survival & Preparedness Forum > Disaster Preparedness General Discussion
Articles Chat Room Classifieds Donations Gallery Groups Links Store Survival Files

Disaster Preparedness General Discussion Anything Disaster Preparedness or Survival Related

Advertise Here

Old 01-01-2010, 07:37 PM
Hunter

Thanked 1,381 Times in 667 Posts
Awards Showcase
Outstanding Gardening Post or Thread 
Total Awards: 1
Default fish hooks are for more than fishing

Advertise Here

not sure how many know this but you can use hooks to catch more than just fish,,,most birds can be caught by using hooks and a bait that the bird would usualy eat ,,,like turkeys an corn or a worm will catch alot of birds ,,,an years ago had a old native show me how they used a large hook[he called them sturgon hooks ] that was hung on a piece of bailing wire under the ice to catch beaver,,,according to him as soon as they got hooked they exhaled an drowned under the ice,,not sure how it happens but know it works,, not every hook we checked had a beaver but a fair number did like 1 in 5 an these are easier to carry and set than traps so giving the number you can carry for the same weight as a single trap you would be able to get a lot of meat over the cold part of the year as welll as some good furs to use ,,,oh an by the way beaver is good eating an has a lot of fat in it so it is good for surviving in the cold
The Following 16 Users Say Thank You to wilderness bushman For This Useful Post:
Old 01-01-2010, 07:39 PM
Here's my safety Sir

Thanked 19,641 Times in 7,037 Posts

and used as booby traps
Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body but rather to skid in broadside thoroughly used up totally worn out and loudly proclaiming man what a ride!
Save The The Montagnard People
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to madcritter For This Useful Post:
Old 01-02-2010, 12:59 AM
Hunter

Thanked 1,311 Times in 638 Posts

several societies hook seabirds, any method to feed you is worthwhile to explore.
Old 01-02-2010, 01:51 AM
Survivor

Thanked 8,292 Times in 3,186 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by madcritter View Post
and used as booby traps
Heheh - and damned good ones too.

Just hang them from trees or in the brush and it tends to slow people right down.
Old 01-02-2010, 01:54 AM
VA / NC

Thanked 15,952 Times in 6,219 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by wilderness bushman View Post
not sure how many know this but you can use hooks to catch more than just fish,,,most birds can be caught by using hooks and a bait that the bird would usualy eat ,,,like turkeys an corn or a worm will catch alot of birds ,,,an years ago had a old native show me how they used a large hook[he called them sturgon hooks ] that was hung on a piece of bailing wire under the ice to catch beaver,,,according to him as soon as they got hooked they exhaled an drowned under the ice,,not sure how it happens but know it works,, not every hook we checked had a beaver but a fair number did like 1 in 5 an these are easier to carry and set than traps so giving the number you can carry for the same weight as a single trap you would be able to get a lot of meat over the cold part of the year as welll as some good furs to use ,,,oh an by the way beaver is good eating an has a lot of fat in it so it is good for surviving in the cold
Do you bait the hook for beaver with anything, or just place it where they will get snagged ?
Old 01-02-2010, 01:56 AM
2cd mouse gets the cheese

I have seen very large treble hooks hung from large branches about 5' off the ground and baited for coyotes. The jump up and bite and get hung, very gruesome. I would have really liked to caught up with that feller for sure! My lodge pole is a little thin on scalps!
The Following User Says Thank You to Rat Eater For This Useful Post:
Old 01-02-2010, 02:15 AM
Survivor

Thanked 8,292 Times in 3,186 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rat Eater View Post
I have seen very large treble hooks hung from large branches about 5' off the ground and baited for coyotes. The jump up and bite and get hung, very gruesome. I would have really liked to caught up with that feller for sure! My lodge pole is a little thin on scalps!
They work just as good for people control. I think single barbed bait hooks are preferable to trebles though
Old 01-02-2010, 02:49 AM
Stand Firm.Buy Safecastle

I bought a ammo can in a pawn shop...I just wanted the ammo can, but it was also full of small treble hooks and the moment I see them I thought about this very thing.
Old 01-02-2010, 03:01 AM
Maximus

Thanked 14,179 Times in 6,260 Posts

I have used fishhooks as sewing needles since forever.
The Following User Says Thank You to vicdotcom For This Useful Post:
Old 01-02-2010, 03:22 AM
Custom User Title

Thanked 2,090 Times in 1,002 Posts

Get a really big trebble hook, tie it up to a tree, add some bait, animal jumps up and gets stuck. Horrible, cruel method but it works.
Old 01-02-2010, 06:44 AM
Misfit Toy

Thanked 2,375 Times in 1,036 Posts

Quote:
Here. here!
Old 01-02-2010, 08:10 AM

Quote:
I too have heard of this method, only for deer. An apple makes a decent bait I'm told. I guess if I was starved I might consider such a trap, but taking coyotes this way just because you can? It would sure **** me off if I found one set on my property. I have no need for the beasts, but 5 foot off the ground would be just about eye level for most men. I think I'd be in a scalping mood too.
Jon
Old 01-02-2010, 09:20 AM
Survivor

Thanked 2,277 Times in 1,129 Posts

if you were to set a booby trap through a grove of trees on the edges of yoru property once the SHHTF I would use the invisible wire line and have the hooks hung at three levels -- waist high, shoulder height and the head high.............. just saying
Old 01-02-2010, 09:59 AM
Hunter

Thanked 1,381 Times in 667 Posts
Awards Showcase
Outstanding Gardening Post or Thread 
Total Awards: 1

i wasnt saying they should be used for land animals,,,thats someone elses post,,,but if i was hungery an the times were tough im sure i an most everyone else here wouldnt even think twice about using hooks to hang up something [no matter how cruel it is],,as a booby trap they will work well but again not my idea ,, i knew about both of these ideas , but wasnt going there!!!!i have hunted an trapped for over 30 years an have always tried to be as humane as possable,,, i love aminals more than i care for most people!!!!!!the idea OF THIS POST WAS TO GIVE PEOPLE A IDEA THAT MAY VERY WELL SAVE THEM,,, as far as the beaver ,,,no you dont bait it but try an hang it in the water where they swim in an out of the lodge ,,so u snag them,,,just above the bottom of the pond in a [tunnel ]or run about 8 feet away from the lodge
Old 01-02-2010, 10:28 AM
Recent Blog:

it's a good idea, but one that should only be used in extreme situations. Also, these traps aren't very selective and you might catch something not intended, like a pet or a person.

folks used these in KY for feral dogs and it was cruel site to see or hear.
Old 01-02-2010, 10:47 AM
Just a rock & spear guy

Thanked 1,615 Times in 612 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by vicdotcom View Post
I have used fishhooks as sewing needles since forever.
Never woulda thunk of that myself.