Survivalist Forum

Advertise Here

Go Back   Survivalist Forum > Firearms and Other Weapons Forum > Firearms General Discussion
Articles Chat Room Classifieds Donations Gallery Groups Links Store Survival Files

Firearms General Discussion Rifles, pistols, shotguns, scopes, grips and everything in between.

Advertise Here

Old 03-13-2008, 02:05 AM

Default What are the best small caliber handguns?

Advertise Here

I am curious what are the best small caliber handguns that can be real MANSTOPPERS?
Old 03-13-2008, 02:35 AM
"Dolt"

Thanked 3,214 Times in 1,204 Posts
Awards Showcase
Outstanding Firearms Post 
Total Awards: 1

600 or 700 nitro ... I think that would hands down be the closest thing to a one shot kill. If you looking for something alittle more practical then try a 9mm if you aim it will do what you need it to. (shot placement). If your looking for a cool guy round, then join in the 45 crowd.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to DocYoung For This Useful Post:
Old 03-13-2008, 02:59 AM

Just my 2 cents but the one that is comfortable in your hand and you hit your target with it each time that you pull the trigger.Thats the best small caliber handgun.I suggest if possible,find a local store/range that rents firearms,some indoor ranges do(at least around here)and try different calibers and styles of handguns(revolver/semiauto)and see what fits you the best.Good luck on your quest.
Old 03-14-2008, 01:13 AM
he's at it again

for concealed, i would go with the sig p232. there is better, but i'm just in love with it. and i'm sure it's reliable, so caliber or recoil isn't really an issue. other than that just get a glock.
Old 03-14-2008, 02:04 AM
Simple Man

Hand guns are not "man stoppers", they do not knock people off their feet when shot. Even the beloved .45 will not send a bad guy soaring backwards after being shot, even rifle rounds do not do that.

There are two key "must haves" that make a handgun lethal. One is penetration. A bullet must penetrate through thick clothing (i.e jean jackets, heavy winter coats) and still have enough velocity to travel at least 10 inches into the torso. The other must have has more to do with the shooter than the gun and/or bullet type, that is shot placement. The shooter must be able to reliably strike a target in vital areas, consistantly, with multiple shots. A leg shot, or arm shot does no good and this isn't hollywood so your very unlikly to make a head shot on a moving target. All shots must land in the chest/upper abdoman.

Very good advice was given earlier, find a range that rents guns and try as many as you can to find the one thats fits YOU best and is reliable.
The Following User Says Thank You to LaRue For This Useful Post:
Old 03-14-2008, 03:38 PM
John Has a Long Moustache

Check into the FN Herstal 5.7x28. It's a very lite gun that holds 20 rounds. The rounds whiz down range in excess of 2000 fps and will penetrate lvl II Body armor at 100 yards
The Following User Says Thank You to Wulf23 For This Useful Post:
Old 03-15-2008, 04:58 PM
Prepared

Isnt that round only for military and police?
I can be wrong but i read somewhere that there are a civiliand and a noncivilian round in 5.7x28. (noncivilian is the one penetrating boddyarmour)
Old 03-16-2008, 06:08 PM
Certifiable

I have always liked the .380. Many people will tell you that this round is not potent enough to use as a self defense round but you will find this round beloved in many countries. Colt used to make a .380 Government, Mustang, and one or two other models but discontinued them and they now sell for more than new. I owned two and sold one and have a dealer still trying to talk me out of the other. They just weigh a ton.

That brings me to the Taurus Millennium pistols. I really do like that pistol. I will not use a PT22 (made that mistake) or a Taurus revolver but the Millennium has won me over. It is made for fitting into you hand and holds twelve rounds of .380. If you practice you better be able to do the job with that or you stepped into something you should not have.

This small frame pistol also holds ten rounds of 9mm and 40mm, and seven rounds of .45.
Old 03-16-2008, 06:37 PM
FNH 100%

I would probaly go 9mm ,but if you want a real manstopper get the 45 acp
Old 03-16-2008, 06:47 PM
Son Of Liberty

Thanked 1,553 Times in 652 Posts
Awards Showcase
Outstanding Helpful Post Outstanding Informative Post 
Total Awards: 2

Penetration and shot placement.

The smallest I like to go is 9mm, but for deep pocket guns I will go as low as 380. Any round can kill and you better believe that no matter what they are shooting at me i consider them a threat, but some rounds have a long standing reputation for stopping the fight backed up by much testing.
Old 03-16-2008, 06:51 PM

I believe buffalo boar makes a really good load for the 380. Might want to check it out.
Old 03-17-2008, 12:03 AM
John Has a Long Moustache

I know they have four rounds an AP, a hollow point and a blue tip and a tracer. The Hollow points and blue tips are for the civillian market. I was told by my dealer that due to the velocity of the "pocket rifle" any of them would go through body armor.
Here's some links: http://www.fnherstal.com/html/Index.htm