Survivalist Forum

Advertise Here

Go Back   Survivalist Forum > Survival & Preparedness Forum > Urban Survival
Articles Chat Room Classifieds Donations Gallery Groups Links Store Survival Files

Urban Survival Urban survival and disaster preparedness including hurricanes, earthquakes, floods and anything else.

Advertise Here

Old 12-28-2009, 02:07 AM
We The People

Default What is the best canteen for a BOB and a GHB?

Advertise Here

I would like some input on the best canteen for BOB's and GHB's that I am building. Cost, Water taste, Noise and Durability are all issues. Thanks!!!
Old 12-28-2009, 04:31 AM
Survivor

Thanked 3,712 Times in 1,732 Posts

The canteen with an aluminium/stainless steel cup on the bottom of it

My only "canteen" style canteen is a cheap plastic one that does the job, and it has a stainless steel mess cup on the bottom.
The Following User Says Thank You to Kipper For This Useful Post:
Old 12-28-2009, 06:37 AM

1) nalgenes--> expensive, large, unbreakable. i have dropped mine (full of water) from 2 meters up onto rocks. scratched up the bottom, but it didnt break or crack. they are on the pricey side though; i payed 16$ CDN for each of mine. they also have a more slim line model for 10$ that holds less water but fits better
2) Mil Surp canteens--> i like the rigid ones for durability. they last a long time and dont wear out, but they ruin the taste of the water
3) stainless steel or aluminium bottles (civvie ones)--> most of these are cheap and thin walled, so they could puncture if dropped full onto rocks. a good quality one is a good investment though. they dont muck up the waters taste to my knowledge. make sure you add a way of keeping the cap with the bottle.
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to atomic17 For This Useful Post:
Old 12-28-2009, 06:49 AM
Really?

Thanked 10,070 Times in 4,911 Posts
Awards Showcase
Top Poster Top Poster 
Total Awards: 2

Uhh, the one you have with you when you need it? Hundreds of thousands of soldiers swear by the Camelback.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to letsgetreal For This Useful Post:
Old 12-28-2009, 07:01 AM
VIP Member

Thanked 6,465 Times in 3,203 Posts
Awards Showcase
Outstanding Thread 
Total Awards: 1

i recomend MSR dromedary bags, it is what i use,excellent tough as nails canteen.....
http://www.backcountry.com/outdoorge.../CAS0325M.html
Old 12-28-2009, 07:49 AM

The best water bottle I use for work is my 3 litre Camel Bak they are tough and convenient, but in my webbing I carry 2, 2 litre South African Water bottles. These are great drink bottles. They fit perfectly in to a medium size utillity pouch.

Cost: They are cheap as chips
Noise: Causes their plastic they dont make to much noise.
Water taste: The water taste fine as with all drink containers, as long as you empty them and allow to air dry theres no dramas.
Durability: Well there tough nails.

The only thing is i havent seen a metal cups/canteen to go on to the bottom of it but I usally have one of thoses in my pack if i need it. But this is if you are after something in this size, I highly recommend them. I reckon there Gold Dust.

Gaven
The Following User Says Thank You to Bankso For This Useful Post:
Old 12-28-2009, 01:34 PM
seek, locate, evaluate

I use ALL of the following for varying reasons:

a) BLADDER 3L because it holds volume and can be filtered easily (I use platypus)

b) NALOGENE 1L because I can use it for UV type of water purification as back up (otherwise I wouldn't bother with it)

c) SIGG 1L and 750mL- my favorite because I know how precious drinking water is and I want it PROTECTED. I have had these bottles run over by trucks by accident, fallen off speeding vehicles and dropped down rock faces. I still had water to drink.

I keep 2.75L on my belt or vest and I use my 3L in my pack or vest.

Your considerations for water are perhaps the most crucial in your GHB or BOB.
The Following User Says Thank You to maddy For This Useful Post:
Old 12-28-2009, 01:49 PM
Survivor

Thanked 5,423 Times in 2,739 Posts

haveing bladders and the such are good but i would atleast have one military canteen /w cup as a back up. water is VERY important i wouldnt want to rely on one water source. but if i only had one choice and could only have one it would be the military canteen/w cup they are tuff as nails

Last edited by Cryptkeeper; 12-28-2009 at 06:26 PM..
The Following User Says Thank You to Cryptkeeper For This Useful Post:
Old 12-28-2009, 02:05 PM
pack light, move quietly.

Default 1 Liter Wide Mouth Disposable Water Bottle

I buy the water bottles that are 1 Ltr and have a wide mouth. They are great, tough as nails, plentiful, and cheap, usually less than two bucks. Most of them are clear so you can use them for SODIS purification. They are damned tough, I have used them on week long trips and they were only a little marred from riding around in my pack. You can also crush them when you are hunting or trying to be stealthy, so that they are only as big as the amount of water you have left, that way they won't slop. All of this for about 2 dollars in any convenience store. They are lighter than any non-disposable bottles as well.
As previously mentioned the MSR Dromedary bags are good. Also look at Platypus pocket bottles, they are really quite handy. In my experience, most of your mil surplus canteens are heavy, they impart flavor to water, and you have to have specific cups, specific carriers, etc to go with them. For backpacking a couple of 1 liter disposable water bottles and a water bag of some kind are all you will ever need.
An additional note, always carry two containers, doesn't really mater what kind, so that you can be purifying one while drinking from the other. At night if you camp near water you can use your bag to purify even more. Additionally, you can write on your bottle with permanent marker the amount of purifier you need to add for that volume.

Thanks,
Rob
The Following User Says Thank You to hafcafdcaf For This Useful Post:
Old 12-28-2009, 02:29 PM
4 Fried Chickens & A Coke

Thanked 3,671 Times in 1,382 Posts

I have a 2 liter bota bag
The Following User Says Thank You to Haffenreffer For This Useful Post:
Old 12-28-2009, 02:38 PM
You looking at me!

Thanked 3,775 Times in 1,703 Posts

I have the vulture II pack and Im looking at getting a bladder to fit anyone have a good link to some options?

cheers
The Following User Says Thank You to BOBtheBUTCHER For This Useful Post:
Old 12-28-2009, 09:55 PM
Deus exsisto laus

Thanked 6,716 Times in 2,281 Posts

All of these are good. What I use is a 1 quart canteen I had in the army. It is plastic and has an OD cover. It has a stainless steel cup and a stove that fit to the bottom of the canteen. I cut a piece of styrofoam to fit inside the lid making a more water tight seal. Every so often I will rinse it with a diluted bleach water then some baking soda and water. The only time I ever saw taste issues was after filling it from a water mule in 1983. I had to replace the original cover with a MilSurp one after 20 years of service. They didn't have camelbacks back when I was in so I can't speak for those,but the principle seems sound. TP
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Texas Patriot For This Useful Post:
Old 12-28-2009, 10:08 PM

I use 20-ounce soda pop bottles. It takes a week or so of use as a water bottle for the flavor of the soda to fade away, but soda bottles are cheap, tough, and don't attract any attention.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Repairman For This Useful Post:
Old 12-28-2009, 10:34 PM
pack light, move quietly.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Repairman View Post
I use 20-ounce soda pop bottles. It takes a week or so of use as a water bottle for the flavor of the soda to fade away, but soda bottles are cheap, tough, and don't attract any attention.
This is basically what I was talking about except using the 1 liter/1 quart water bottles you get bottled water in. Just make sure they are clear, just that simple step gives you greater water sanitation ability. Again, check out the SODIS system for water prep.

Thanks,
Rob
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to hafcafdcaf For This Useful Post:
Old 12-29-2009, 10:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Repairman View Post
I think soda bottles are some kind of miracle container. I keep some water preps in the 2L variety as they are a handy size to move around.

Earlier this year I ran a 6-month experiment where I kept 1" of kero, coleman fuel, citronella lamp oil, isopropyl, denatured alcohol, and unleaded in seperated, labeled pop bottles on the brick floor of my freestanding shed. After six months none of the 2L bottles showed any change at all, and to my unscientific hand had identical strength and resiliency. I am not encouraging people to use soda bottles for fuel stores, but it appears to be possible for the short term in the absence of better options.

To answer the OP's question: my daypack has a camelback and pop bottles. My BOB has a US canteen with slipover alum cup (and slipover cookstand for esbit use?); the Dear Wife's BOB has a taller, rectangular (Swiss?) canteen with slipover alum cup.

EDIT: since I am a homebrewer and have sanitizer on-hand, I spritz starsan inside any water containers to sanitize them before storing water.

Last edited by fratermus; 12-29-2009 at 10:06 AM.. Reason: sanitizing
The Following User Says Thank You to fratermus For This Useful Post:
Old 12-29-2009, 05:06 PM
Prepared

I use standard soda bottles too.

They are light, cheap and the dang things are almost indestructible. I've had water freeze in them and expand the bottle to the point where I wondered how it kept from exploding.

They are also watertight if you drop them from 20 feet. At least that's how far mine fell with no problem.

I use these exclusively for water in my GHB.
The Following User Says Thank You to MMII For This Useful Post:
Old 01-01-2010, 05:55 PM

I use my gi canteens with tin cup over it, also use the quart gatoraid bottles.
I find these are a bit more durable than soda bottles.

filman
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to filman For This Useful Post:
Old 01-01-2010, 06:00 PM
Survivor

Thanked 2,260 Times in 1,118 Posts

ditto on the Gatorade bottles - - plus they come in a few different sizes - - small, medium, and large - - the other bottle that is good is the Vitamin water bottles
The Following User Says Thank You to ackbob For This Useful Post:
Old 01-01-2010, 06:06 PM
Opinionated old fart.

Thanked 6,987 Times in 3,332 Posts

If you have an alice pack, two liter coke bottles fit in the outside pockets perfectly. Oh, about those pockets, get some 1/8 shock cord, eyelets, and eyelet setter from a craft store to secure them closed. The poor man's canteen is a coke bottle and a long boot lace or paracord.
The Following User Says Thank You to Jeffrey For This Useful Post:
Old 01-01-2010, 06:09 PM
Forewarned is Forearmed

Thanked 1,103 Times in 408 Posts

I have a Klean Kanteen 40 oz. wide mouth that I really like......... Stainless Steel.....
The Following User Says Thank You to Saberman For This Useful Post: