Survivalist Forum

Advertise Here

Go Back   Survivalist Forum > Survival & Preparedness Forum > Disaster Preparedness General Discussion
Articles Chat Room Classifieds Donations Gallery Groups Links Store Survival Files

Disaster Preparedness General Discussion Anything Disaster Preparedness or Survival Related

Advertise Here

Old 12-27-2009, 03:18 PM
John 3:16

Thanked 48,119 Times in 20,531 Posts
Awards Showcase
Top Poster 
Total Awards: 1
Default Survival Groups vs Militia Groups?

Advertise Here

This was brought up in a round about way in another thread. So I thought it would be interesting to get the boards take on this:

Are survival groups and militia groups basically the same thing?

I know that when they are brought up in the liberal media they are synonymous but as a prepper and a survivalist I do not see the same connections the sheeple does.

I am not gathering together to train for an offensive armed conflict with my government; I am simply putting up stores and extra food in case of a SHTF scenario.

Now this may or may not include defense, that would depend on my personal circumstances at that time and the situation that I or my family found ourselves in.

What do you folks think? And keeping personal OPSEC in mind do we even attempt to correct the misconception of the two types of groups?
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to The Saint For This Useful Post:
Old 12-27-2009, 06:04 PM
Walking methane refinery

Thanked 100,549 Times in 32,632 Posts
Awards Showcase
Outstanding Member 

They may or may not be the same thing, depending on the group itself. The word survivalist means prepper and nothing else. If a prepper is also a militia type, then that's a seperate thing.

Our group is purely survival oriented unless forced otherwise. That is we train and plan for our survival only. We're not a militia and don't train as such.
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to MikeK For This Useful Post:
Old 12-27-2009, 06:13 PM
I love this forum

Thanked 1,084 Times in 612 Posts

Militias are preppers ,but they doit ina way so that they can maintain a level of armed fighting to include assasinations,to patrols to ambushes.Most are unorganized so they will never fight a standing army on the battlefield.Preppers and survivalist prepare for any catastrophie that may arise and are resourceful.Preppers do not train military tactics .Most militias gain monetary assets through illegal means as a way to keep the government from knowing exactly what and where they have arms etc.And membership is usually not published.
Old 12-27-2009, 09:12 PM
Destroyer of Ignorance

Thanked 4,323 Times in 1,416 Posts
Awards Showcase
Outstanding Post 

Survival group ... Militia ....

Janet Napolitano does not draw a distinction. That said, which would you rather be?
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to danpauselius For This Useful Post:
Old 12-27-2009, 09:17 PM
4 Fried Chickens & A Coke

Thanked 3,672 Times in 1,382 Posts

Sounds like 2 branches of right wing domestic terrorists
Old 12-27-2009, 09:21 PM
Misfit Toy

Thanked 2,374 Times in 1,036 Posts

Depends on the individual and/or group and their agenda accordingly.
Old 12-27-2009, 09:36 PM
Troublesome.

Thanked 1,846 Times in 720 Posts

Quote:
Depends entirely on perspective.

Personally, I can't see how the "preparation for survival" could rationally exclude practiced skill at arms. None the less, if one keeps track of DHS, police, and government things one would realize BOTH GROUPS are considered a threat to National security.

Big Brother thinks anyone not a sheeple, is a threat.

The irony of course, is that they are right. Of course, it wasn't until the advent of career politicians that the government being scared of the citizens became a bad thing.

Shame on each and every one of us registered voters for allowing that to happen.
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to CaptainFuzzy For This Useful Post:
Old 12-27-2009, 10:05 PM
This is a great survival forum

Thanked 5,343 Times in 2,895 Posts

If the survivalist is a member of a Mutual Assistance Group (MAG) then there are some minor comparisons to militia. Most MAGs require their membership to be armed with common weapons, most MAGs train in defensive tactics, they require preparedness stockpiles (preps including ammo) and they have a structure comparable to a military unit in soem ways.

That being said The Amish compare to militia in many of those ways too.
Old 12-27-2009, 10:13 PM
Deus exsisto laus

Thanked 6,726 Times in 2,286 Posts

To my way of thinking, a survival group is just that, a group bent on surviving something,whether that be a natural or man made situation. Part of survival training entails defensive use of firearms and other weapons. However, if a survival group loses even one member, they have essentially failed in their stated mission... to survive. When I think of a militia, I envision armed partisans, an armed brigade of patriots. The mission for these people is offensive operations against some threat, whatever that threat may be. By their very nature, they would have to use hit and run guerilla tactics. Their mission most likely would be an auxiliary, support role for regular troops .One tends to be mainly defensive in nature whereas the other tends to be offensive. Just because the two groups are armed and store supplies does not mean they are both the same. TP
The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to Texas Patriot For This Useful Post:
Old 12-27-2009, 11:06 PM
Survivor

Thanked 5,917 Times in 2,845 Posts

Perhaps this:

A militia is concerned with some political objective. A survivalist group is usually about just getting alone, and maybe helping others. I count myself in the survivalist camp.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to KaBar67 For This Useful Post:
Old 12-27-2009, 11:19 PM
Ego Dominus Vos

Quote:
Originally Posted by Texas Pete View Post
If the survivalist is a member of a Mutual Assistance Group (MAG) then there are some minor comparisons to militia. Most MAGs require their membership to be armed with common weapons, most MAGs train in defensive tactics, they require preparedness stockpiles (preps including ammo) and they have a structure comparable to a military unit in soem ways.

That being said The Amish compare to militia in many of those ways too.
As well as the Mormons ...
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to MangledMind For This Useful Post:
Old 12-27-2009, 11:25 PM
My powder's dry,is yours?

I think there is a big difference between the two.Most survivalist just want to be left alone and live their lives according to the dictates of their conscience.If blood shed takes place I would venture to guess it was unwanted but not unwarranted"Leave me and mine alone."
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to sixgun For This Useful Post:
Old 12-28-2009, 12:08 AM
Ego Dominus Vos

Quote:
Originally Posted by sixgun View Post
I think there is a big difference between the two. Most survivalist just want to be left alone and live their lives according to the dictates of their conscience. If blood shed takes place I would venture to guess it was unwanted but not unwarranted " Leave me and mine alone. "
Exactly. Let mine and me be, my friend. We enjoy our peace and quiet. When others disturb that, well that is when things head south.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to MangledMind For This Useful Post:
Old 12-28-2009, 12:12 AM
Ego Dominus Vos

Quote:
Originally Posted by danpauselius View Post
Survival group ... Militia ....

Janet Napolitano does not draw a distinction. That said, which would you rather be?
FYI, I am not proud of the fact he/she came from our state. Personally, I think he/she is a douchebag!

DHS calling we veterans "potential terrorists" worthy of placing on watch lists? She can swing from the gallows for all I care, and I WOULD CHEER, my friend.
The Following User Says Thank You to MangledMind For This Useful Post:
Old 12-28-2009, 10:57 AM
Survivor

Thanked 3,958 Times in 1,550 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Saint View Post
This was brought up in a round about way in another thread. So I thought it would be interesting to get the boards take on this:

I know that when they are brought up in the liberal media they are synonymous but as a prepper and a survivalist I do not see the same connections the sheeple does.

I am not gathering together to train for an offensive armed conflict with my government; I am simply putting up stores and extra food in case of a SHTF scenario.

Now this may or may not include defense, that would depend on my personal circumstances at that time and the situation that I or my family found ourselves in.

What do you folks think? And keeping personal OPSEC in mind do we even attempt to correct the misconception of the two types of groups?
Our Militia group( The West Michigan Volunteer Militia ) is a basic survivalist type group. Law abiding, trains in shelter, food, weapons and land navigation. We joined and formed the unit because we feel we are safer in numbers if the shtf. The difference is only that we have a commander who sets training dates and formats. W e vote this man or woman into this position. Our CO. Is a sere trained EX Airforce Gulf war 1 veteran. W e have communications and set plans for different scenarios. Support units and group caches. W e are also here to help others in a disaster situation and assist national guard or local law enforcement. We consider ourselves the last line of defense of the Michigan and United states Constitution. That makes us different from a survival group in that we are freedom defense force. Kingfish
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Kingfish For This Useful Post:
Old 12-28-2009, 11:04 AM
Limpin to safety.

Thanked 16,775 Times in 4,591 Posts

I wouldn't consider my self either. You see down here in the south, its just our way of life. You have friends and family who love you, and sure, they will stand beside you. Does that make us Militant? I don't think so. Are we survivalists? Only if we survive.

I think we are just good ole boys smart enough to not live life like a Yankee Democrat.

I mean, its just a farm. Do I have weapons? Yeah, most people here do.

I think to make a distinction or to define what you are kind of stereotypes or limmits you.

My ak is a rifle, not an assault rifle. My Remmington 700 is a deer rifle, not a sniper rifle.

I am just a man with a family.
The Following 8 Users Say Thank You to Crutch For This Useful Post:
Old 01-01-2010, 03:23 PM
RIP America 1776-2012

Thanked 2,428 Times in 1,000 Posts

Survivalist or Militia....They become one and the same eventually, they just achieve like goals from different paths.

While most don't follow the path of the Militiaman as of now, there will come a time when we as Survivalists will have to form or join up with other groups for support during the post collapse. I understand this, and am making plans for when this phase of survivalism is to be implimented.
The Following User Says Thank You to SIXPACK For This Useful Post:
Old 12-30-2011, 04:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kingfish View Post
W e are also here to help others in a disaster situation and assist national guard or local law enforcement. We consider ourselves the last line of defense of the Michigan and United states Constitution. That makes us different from a survival group in that we are freedom defense force. Kingfish

would you assist the national guard or law enforcement if they were acting unconstitutionally?
Old 12-30-2011, 04:50 PM
Survivor

Thanked 9,107 Times in 4,528 Posts

Not even close to the same.
Old 12-30-2011, 06:27 PM
Sua Sponte

Thanked 2,452 Times in 617 Posts

Fundamentally, they are the same. However, both tend to look down on the other.

Militia tend to deny any brotherhood with survivalist. But survivalists would probably say that the militia groups are just a survivalist group that is preparing for one very specific scenario.

[Note: their preparation would likely work across many scenarios of course.]

Militia units tend to consider survivalists to be rather short sighted and selfish. Only interested in personal survival, where the militia guys would tend to say they plan on fighting for something bigger than themselves. At least that is what they tell themselves.

YMMV,
Chad