Survivalist Forum

Advertise Here

Go Back   Survivalist Forum > General Discussion Section > General Discussion
Articles Chat Room Classifieds Donations Gallery Groups Links Store Survival Files

General Discussion Anything non-survival related - news and information, current events, general chit-chat stuff.

Advertise Here

Old 12-26-2009, 11:48 PM

Question M67 Immersion Heater

Advertise Here

Anyone ever use one of these? Its a military portable water heater. I found a surplus store which has them unissued. Got me to wondering.
Craig
Old 12-26-2009, 11:53 PM
This is a great survival forum

Thanked 26,427 Times in 10,443 Posts

looks interesting whats are they asking for it if its cheap might be worth a try
Old 12-27-2009, 12:10 AM

$97.00 US, free shipping in the US to I think. I found them in a surplus store in Seattle.
Heres a link;
http://www.gr8gear.com/catalog/Milit...ersion-Heater/
Old 12-27-2009, 12:29 AM
This is a great survival forum

Thanked 26,427 Times in 10,443 Posts

not bad i guess but a mettle bucket and a fire work foe me
Old 12-27-2009, 12:34 AM

Default heater

Used them when I was in the service. Usually used them with diesel or diesel/jp4 mix, use diesel fuel it works great! Heats water great depending on on how high you set it fuel should last between 4-8hrs. I need to find some. They were mostly used in the mess tents for heating food and dishwater for cleanup, but can be used for bathing also just have too watch the tempture water tends too heat up quickly with them.
Old 12-27-2009, 01:26 AM

We use them during training to heat water for shaving and general cleanup, but never for food prep or drinking. The problem with the water heater is that the diesel used to make it works will give you the ****s.
Old 12-27-2009, 01:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ninja650r37334 View Post
We use them during training to heat water for shaving and general cleanup, but never for food prep or drinking. The problem with the water heater is that the diesel used to make it works will give you the ****s.
It sounds like these would be no good for bathing, is that right?
Craig
Old 12-27-2009, 01:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SgtBigDog74 View Post
Used them when I was in the service. Usually used them with diesel or diesel/jp4 mix, use diesel fuel it works great! Heats water great depending on on how high you set it fuel should last between 4-8hrs. I need to find some. They were mostly used in the mess tents for heating food and dishwater for cleanup, but can be used for bathing also just have too watch the tempture water tends too heat up quickly with them.
Had to use them once on KP. They were put in a garbage can filled with water to be heated to do dishes. A word of caution however, when lighting make sure there is not a build up of fuel in the bottom. In my experience the fire went out and the fuel continued to drip. Someone noticed and shut it off. Later when the water was cold I was sent to relight it. Not knowing about the excess fuel in the bottom, I simply set it for a slow drip and tossed in a match. The effect was much like a mortar being fired. Although I wasnt directly over it, it managed to burn my face and singe my eyebrows. Luckily being a field environment, we were required to wear helmets which saved my hair. No serious damage done and no trip to sick call needed. Be carefull!!!!
Old 12-27-2009, 06:39 PM
Hunter

Thanked 2,633 Times in 977 Posts

Yep, big metal trash can filled with water...it will certainly make hot bath water. Affix a tap 6" from the bottom of the can. They work great.
Old 12-27-2009, 11:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by blckjack View Post
It sounds like these would be no good for bathing, is that right?
Craig
I personally would not use it for bathing, because of the contamination for the diesel used to fire the heater. I really did not like using the water period, but I did because it was cold outside during training and I will not shave with cold water.
Old 03-12-2011, 03:29 PM

I used them in KP duty also. They get water hot fast. I just picked up a new one last week in the sealed wood crate for $79 at a surplus store. It was made and boxed up back in 1991 so it had a little surface rust I had to scrub off after all these years. Other than that its it new excellant condition. Great investment.
The Following User Says Thank You to psp7 For This Useful Post:
Old 03-30-2011, 03:25 PM

Does anyone think this might be a good way to assist in heating a pool/spa? If I set it on my spa bench-seat (which pours into my pool), would it make a noticeable difference after a few hours of running? Would the water have any residual smell or contamination from the fuel burn?
I have a good supply of biodiesel so trying to find a quick/effective way of heating the pool so i can use it a little sooner in the season. Solar not quick enough this time of year.

Thanks for the help!
Old 04-04-2011, 11:19 AM

jp, It should work well providing no metal is touching plastic. As long as it isnt an old rusted out m67 you shouldnt have an issue with fuel getting into the water. I do seem to recall soot may drift out of the top, but that doesnt hurt. As I understand the heater was designed to work with the large sheet steel garbage cans. We are thinking along the lines of you but using a sheet metal cattle stock tank as a tub.
Old 04-05-2011, 08:24 AM
Old Soldier

Thanked 9,651 Times in 3,247 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by mantis View Post
Had to use them once on KP. They were put in a garbage can filled with water to be heated to do dishes. A word of caution however, when lighting make sure there is not a build up of fuel in the bottom. In my experience the fire went out and the fuel continued to drip. Someone noticed and shut it off. Later when the water was cold I was sent to relight it. Not knowing about the excess fuel in the bottom, I simply set it for a slow drip and tossed in a match. The effect was much like a mortar being fired. Although I wasnt directly over it, it managed to burn my face and singe my eyebrows. Luckily being a field environment, we were required to wear helmets which saved my hair. No serious damage done and no trip to sick call needed. Be carefull!!!!
Yep, the ones we had in the 60's didn't have a self ignitor like the one in the illustration. We ran them on mogas, not deisel. One quickly learned to have your head below the level of the heater before dropping in the match.
The engineers also put one in the top hatch of the 400 gallon water trailer we had up on timbers as a shower, so we could have warm showers when water was available.
Old 04-05-2011, 09:15 AM
Trapper

I have told folks about these in the past and was looked at like I was crazy so thanks for the picture. I think one of these would be great for a cabin or anywhere that is off grid. Thanks for the link and also the military designation so I can look them up when I have the cash to purchase one.
Old 04-10-2011, 07:33 AM

Pay attention to Mantis's comment. When I was in the Army a standing joke was; “What is the bursting radius of an Immersion Heater?” They can very easily detonate if over-fueled or if re-lit after ignition failure. The most dangerous time is re-lighting while hot. The damage runs from “check your shorts” to scalds and burns to shrapnel and very rarely, body bags. Usually it was some young PFS/SP4 on KP trying to help the Mess SGT by re-lighting one.
Old 02-27-2012, 05:15 PM

Default M67 immersion heaters.

Hi writing from the U.K. and need some advise on the M67. I live off grid and this looks like it could provide a solution in providing hot water for bathing. Does the water become contaminated with fuel ( I'm getting conflicting info).
How safe is it to use. Could my wife be left to opperate it If I was away. She's not always that practicle but She's pretty good. Is the risk of unburned fuel combusting, just as bad if using diesel and how can you advoid it.
How do you light them.
Where does the water go. I understand you immerse the unit in water, does anyone have a diagram of this and how it works.
Thanks Ryun