Survivalist Forum

Advertise Here

Go Back   Survivalist Forum > Firearms and Other Weapons Forum > Firearms General Discussion > Rifle Forum
Articles Chat Room Classifieds Donations Gallery Groups Links Store Survival Files

Advertise Here
View Poll Results: Which do you prefer for your military-style black rifle?
Single Point Sling 49 32.89%
Two Point Sling 80 53.69%
Three Point Sling 20 13.42%
Voters: 149. You may not vote on this poll

Old 12-26-2009, 02:30 PM

Default 1-Point, 2-Point or 3-Point Sling On A Black Rifle - Which Do You Prefer?

Advertise Here

Hey Y'all, I'm going to buy a new sling soon. I'm interested in knowing what y'all prefer and why. I *think* I've just about ruled out the single-point sling for myself, but if that's your fave, I'd still like to know why. If you're ex or current military or SWAT and can tell us your real-world experience and/or advanced training with the different systems, I'd appreciate it.

For my purposes, it will be for training for now. My wife and I are enrolled in a one-week tactical rifle course that starts in late January. (Ain't it great to have a wife who thinks this is the kind of "getaway" we'd both enjoy?) It will be our third, and most advanced, course that we've taken together. Thanks in advance for whatever advice you can offer for how I can be the best prepared to do well in the course.

Blues
Old 12-26-2009, 02:37 PM
Hunter

Thanked 1,183 Times in 682 Posts

If you are in and out of a car all the time 1 point slings are great. Also if you had a pistol sized weapon like a AR-15 pistol etc that might be ok. However go to one combat shoot and find the guy with a 1 point sling. Chances are hes gonna crack himself in the nuts and colapse.

I prefer ADJUSTABLE 2 point slings. They seem to be prefered by alot of people now. Basiclly you get the ability to comfortably carry your weapon while retaining the much of the 3 point sling has to offer. Also if you have any chest gear it gets the strap out of the way for easier access to magazines etc.

3 points are fine, but can hamper load outs etc. The straps can hinder your gear at times especially depending how you sling your weapon in transitions. They are still great and many people prefer them over 2 points and 2 point adjustables. Its more of a opinion.

What you need to do is think about what you might have on your chest, and do some research on the two and 3 points and the various ways people set them up. Lots of youtube videos on the subject.

While people will disagree with me 1 point and standard two point slings.... Just aren't that great unless you are a hunter or in and out of vehicles.
The Following User Says Thank You to MarksInnerDemon For This Useful Post:
Old 12-26-2009, 02:38 PM
Sweat more, bleed less!

Thanked 1,512 Times in 942 Posts

Standard two-point rifle sling for me, I can wrap it up for steady shots or if I need to I can make it one point by bringing the front attachment back to the rear.

I keep it in the two-point config but when I’m shooting I usually make it a one point so I can just throw it to the side. Three points are useless for all but the most dedicated mall ninjas. in my humble opinion.
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to CPL_BS_88 For This Useful Post:
Old 12-27-2009, 02:04 PM
Survivor

Thanked 3,816 Times in 2,697 Posts

single point sling for battle rifles
The Following User Says Thank You to 223shootersc For This Useful Post:
Old 12-28-2009, 02:14 AM
Taoist

Thanked 2,216 Times in 885 Posts

I use a 3 point...I'm a small broad and I find it helps me steady the rifle better. My husband uses a 2 point, but he's a lot bigger than me and doesn't have as much trouble with the weight.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Sage0925 For This Useful Post:
Old 12-28-2009, 05:49 AM
Wilddieb

Thanked 1,740 Times in 921 Posts

Rifle length AR (16" barrel) two point sling, SBR AR (8,5" barrel) one point sling.
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Waldlaeufer For This Useful Post:
Old 12-28-2009, 06:47 AM
I love this forum

Thanked 3,615 Times in 1,552 Posts

I bought a 3 point sling. I think it sucks (on AK), I use it as a 2 point sling, works fine.

I tend to agree with Waldlaeufer. A one point sling is fine on a shorter rifle, on a longer rifle you have a chance of the muzzle digging in the dirt when you kneel or get down or whatever.
Old 12-28-2009, 08:19 AM
Infraction Collector

Thanked 2,319 Times in 930 Posts

I don't really know the difference,...but I just use mine to pack my rifle into the woods,........never really put that much thought into it. I got a lil wal-mart stretchy one,......dunno if it's a one two three?
Old 12-28-2009, 11:58 AM
Uber Infidel.

Anytime i have shot with an AR it was with a two point, very comfortable and easy to transition to secondary.
Old 12-28-2009, 12:22 PM
This is a great survival forum

Thanked 26,427 Times in 10,443 Posts

i prefer a three point sling as you can use it like a 2 pint if you want to help steady your aim or use it like a three pointer 3 nice thing bout em is if you have it on someone cant just yank it from you as its attached i would reccomend 1 points for short barreled pistol grip shotguns
Old 12-28-2009, 01:12 PM
Wilddieb

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wolfe View Post
I bought a 3 point sling. I think it sucks (on AK), I use it as a 2 point sling, works fine.

I tend to agree with Waldlaeufer. A one point sling is fine on a shorter rifle, on a longer rifle you have a chance of the muzzle digging in the dirt when you kneel or get down or whatever.
That is the point.

I think it depends on the rifle length. And on the situation. A single point sling generally allows a faster transfer to the secondary. But it only is useful, IMHO, when the primary is a "shorter" rifle. Another advantage is you have two hands free, immediately, when needed. With a two point sling this is also possible, but not without doing some movements. With a one point sling I let go the rifle and have two hands to use...

For "real" world (-->civil) applications (hunting) a classic two pint sling is my choice.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Waldlaeufer For This Useful Post:
Old 12-28-2009, 06:16 PM
Hunter

Thanked 2,167 Times in 459 Posts

i carry my primary witha two point sling, with my backup long gun ie doorbuster shotgun or ar pistol in a one point sling,, i have two three point slings and could never get used to them, two point sling has served a long time with no complains, im done trying to reinvent the wheel!
Old 12-28-2009, 07:09 PM

I've used a 1 point on my C-8 (M4) for 2 tours to Afghanistan and it worked OK for the few times I had it hooked to the Tac Vest. Infantry Section commander so 95% of the time outside the wire/ FOB. I started using a 2 point on a Urban Ops Instr crse and liked it because of the transition to pistol was easier and adjustability was better for whatever other kit we had on us. It was a Vickers sling and worked 100%. It depends on what your primary use will be for your set up, some slings can be 1 or 2 point with different hook ups.
Old 12-29-2009, 12:04 AM

Thanks for the replies y'all.

As I said, for now the use will be during a tactical rifle course. It will encompass a wide range of situational exercises, but mostly urban, home defense and CQB. I imagine it will be set up similarly as a gun-n-run competition course, but since I've never participated in that sport, I can't say for sure.

Of course, after the course is over, whatever I buy will be for my SHTF rifle, which will get cheers from some and jeers from others, but it's a Kel-Tec SU-16 with an 18" barrel. It's set up with after-market rails, flashlight, laser, scope, collapsible stock, vertical fore-grip etc. etc., so it's kind of a poor-man's cross between an AR-15 and an M4. I guess more like the AR with the barrel length. I will use the sling exclusively to practice the skills the course gives me to practice. Mainly target acquisition from a relaxed, non-ready position, and transitions from rifle to pistol. Practicing firing from cover and moving and firing is already a regular part of my practice.

Enjoying the replies. Keep 'em coming. I still think I wouldn't be comfortable with a single-point sling, mainly because of how and where it hangs when you let it go, but again, the whole point was to get folks' ideas on the subject so I'd still like to hear about how they work for others.

Blues
The Following User Says Thank You to BluesStringer For This Useful Post:
Old 12-29-2009, 07:51 AM
Transplant

I have several rifles... all have different slings on them. The rifles are also for different uses. As with anything, your equipment choice depends greatly on it's intended usage. This is as true for weapon selection as it is for slings and other accessories.

On my 16" carbine I have a single point sling. I live in an urban area, so I prefer having a sling that I can remove with a buckle, and is much easier to manage in tight spaces like vehicles due to the fact that there is more freedom of movement for the weapon. It's also much easier to transition to different shooting positions that you would encounter in urban environments - switching to weak hand, urban prone, etc. It's a MOUT sling, and is intended for that purpose. Same reason I built it with a 16" BBL. It will get replaced with a 12" BBL and a YHM can as soon as the paperwork goes through. http://www.survivalistboards.com/ima...es/biggrin.gif

I also have a 20" AR15A2, and I have a three point on that one. It is NOT intended for use inside houses, vehicles, etc. It has a three point sling on it. It's mean for the woods, and open areas. It's comfortable to carry on long humps because of the width of the webbing, and the way it's slung. I'm also used to it, because this was the way my service weapon was set up, and what I trained with.

Either weapon can serve a dual use if need be, but I like having the options (and excuses to buy more guns, as always).

The only weapon I have a two point sling on is my bolt gun. It's not a primary weapon by any means, it's a niche weapon. No sense in a one point, and a three point is just too much. The thing already weighs 15 lbs. If it's not in a drag bag, it gets slung in the rear, out of the way. Only need two points for that.

Last edited by TheCouncilOfDave; 12-29-2009 at 08:42 AM..
The Following User Says Thank You to TheCouncilOfDave For This Useful Post:
Old 12-29-2009, 10:33 AM
Wilddieb

Quote:
Originally Posted by BluesStringer View Post
Thanks for the replies y'all.

As I said, for now the use will be during a tactical rifle course. It will encompass a wide range of situational exercises, but mostly urban, home defense and CQB. I imagine it will be set up similarly as a gun-n-run competition course, but since I've never participated in that sport, I can't say for sure.

Of course, after the course is over, whatever I buy will be for my SHTF rifle, which will get cheers from some and jeers from others, but it's a Kel-Tec SU-16 with an 18" barrel. It's set up with after-market rails, flashlight, laser, scope, collapsible stock, vertical fore-grip etc. etc., so it's kind of a poor-man's cross between an AR-15 and an M4. I guess more like the AR with the barrel length. I will use the sling exclusively to practice the skills the course gives me to practice. Mainly target acquisition from a relaxed, non-ready position, and transitions from rifle to pistol. Practicing firing from cover and moving and firing is already a regular part of my practice.

Enjoying the replies. Keep 'em coming. I still think I wouldn't be comfortable with a single-point sling, mainly because of how and where it hangs when you let it go, but again, the whole point was to get folks' ideas on the subject so I'd still like to hear about how they work for others.

Blues
To be honest: with a rifle of that length (picture please, so that we can see the possibilities where to attach a sling) I would go with nothing else than a two-point-sling.

IMHO your rifle is full-sized, so you won't be satisfied having it dangle between your legs if you transfer to the secondary.

Maximum length for a rifle I would use with a one-point-sling is 24 - 30". And there it depends on where you can attach the sling...
Old 12-29-2009, 03:57 PM

I was holding off on posting a pic in this thread because I'm waiting for a couple of things to come in (bipod, flashlight mount and a pair of rails), but here's the basic rifle as it sits right now:

There are plenty of attach-points on the butt stock (3 on each side + 1 on the left side where the buffer tube meets the pistol grip mod on the locking ring). On the forend though, there's nothing that's specifically made for a sling swivel, though the Compact Forend mod opened up a good-sized hole where the old forend/bipod was mounted on the gas block, and I have a paracord loop there right now with a standard 2-point sling (non-tactical, not easily adjustable on the fly) attached.

The new bipod is a quick detach that will not be mounted during training except for whatever long-range exercises we do. I'll decide after the course whether it's something I'll keep on the weapon or not, but likely it will just be handy in the drag bag.

The new pair of rails will be mounted to the forend at 10 & 2. The forend only has one rail now and I'll be out of room when the flashlight mount and bipod comes in, so with two new rails, I'll have plenty of room to position the flashlight, pressure switch a sling swivel/stud (or two if it makes sense) etc. to my personal preferences. The forend and rails are approximately 6" long. My guess is that the flashlight will go on the right and that will leave the whole left side for a sling swivel/stud that has a full range of front-to-back adjustment.

I'll post more pics when the stuff all gets here, which might be today, but should be within the next day or two at the latest. Thanks for the advice y'all.

Blues
Old 12-29-2009, 05:51 PM
Hiker

I use a Spec-ops Mamba sling on my AR-15. It can be configured as a 3, 2, or 1 point sling, which is why I bought it, instead of their Lonestar sling, which is just a 1 point.

Originally I set it up as a 3 point, but it got tangled up in my LBV, the strap that runs down the side of the rifle blocked quick access to the safety, and also impeded access to the bolt hold open/ close button (it could still be worked through the sling but was a pain. I ended up switching it to a 1 point.

When I carry my rifle I'm in and out of cars/vans/trucks, riding in UTV's, driving and riding on tractors, on foot. It lets me adjust the position of the rifle easily. So that it is not in the way, but readily available.

I have never nutted myself with the rifle.
Old 12-30-2009, 07:17 PM

try vickers sling that is the best of the one or two polnts imho
Old 03-27-2010, 07:54 PM

Magpul has a great sling that can be used as a 1 or two point sling and while wearing it you can convert it in seconds, they call it the Magpul MS2 Multi-Mission Sling. it goes for between 40 and 50 bucks. A friend of mine has one and I'm still deciding if I need yet another sling. *G*
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Raycing For This Useful Post: