Survivalist Forum

Advertise Here

Go Back   Survivalist Forum > Firearms and Other Weapons Forum > Knives, Swords & Axes
Articles Chat Room Classifieds Donations Gallery Groups Links Store Survival Files

Knives, Swords & Axes Survival knives, multi-tools, gerber, buck, cold steel, leather man.....

Advertise Here

Old 12-26-2009, 11:27 AM

Default Condor Tool and Knife?

Advertise Here

Does anyone know if their double bit hatchet a quality product? I've heard the Marbel's brand one is junk. I'd like a George Washing Sears' "Nessmuk" like set up to mess around with this summer for a canoe trip I plan to take.
Thanks,
Jon
Old 12-26-2009, 07:37 PM
Prepared

Talking

Well, Condor Knife & Tools has made a new nessmuk style knife in their new wood handled knife styles. It can be bought at a very good price. If you get one drop us a line for a quick review of it.
The Following User Says Thank You to ktomes_340 For This Useful Post:
Old 12-26-2009, 08:33 PM
Hunter

Thanked 2,828 Times in 1,147 Posts

I only have one of their machetes, but they get great reviews on bladeforums (the wilderness/surival section) where I hang out. One of the members worked closely with them on the new products they recently brought out. I think it would be much better than Marbles based on what I've seen/heard. Don't forget to add that Nessmuk knife

ROCK6
The Following User Says Thank You to ROCK6 For This Useful Post:
Old 12-27-2009, 09:20 AM

Thanks gents. I have ordered one of their knives and saw the axe at that time. I've collected knives for a long time but I'm just getting into knife making and I have made a pair of Nessmuk pattern knives, but figured for $25.00 bucks I'd take a look at a factory made one too. I'll let you know what I think of the knife. At that price I'm not expecting much to tell the truth.
Jon
Old 12-28-2009, 05:15 PM
Just fed up.

Thanked 1,049 Times in 358 Posts

I've been using the Condor survival tool for about 2 years, its the dogs bollocks. I can do just about anything I want with that knife, except skinning.
The Following User Says Thank You to Chops249 For This Useful Post:
Old 01-04-2010, 06:35 PM

Has anyone ever ordered from Smoky Mountain Knife Works? I ordered that Condor Nessmuck knife a while ago and still have not seen it.
Thanks,
Jon
Old 01-06-2010, 04:59 PM

The quick review:

Packaging: Simple cardboard box. A little history of Nessmuck and the knife would have been a nice touch.

Holster: Nice solid black leather. White stiching on three sides no rivits at start of stiching. Not formed to the knife at all. Goes well up the handle and the knife seems to stay in place solidly, in spite of not being form fitted. Simple belt loop stiched to back side.

Handle: An odd wood, really close grain with an oilly feel. A nice shape, but rough to the touch. A quick rub with steel wool really put a nice finish on it and a light coat of oil made the wood come alive with a beautiful almost glow. The handle is held on with several small brass pins, very traditional looking, in keeping with an 1800's knife.

Blade: full tang, holds it's 1/8th thickness it's full length, with the odd shape fitting the knife's original. The grind area is brightly finished, almost chromed. the rest of the blade is dull coated in an oxide like finish. It looks almost scandi ground, but does have a fine 25 degree grind along the edge. It was a bit dull from the box, but took an razor sharp edge with just a few strokes of the stone.

General Impressions: For $25.00 you cannot go wrong. How well it will hold up remains to be seen. It's not a custom knife, but with a little work you have a servicable blade in the clasic Nessmuck style. I'd buy another.

Smokey Mountain Knife Works came through. I was a bit worried, maybe the holidays delayed the shipping.

Thanks again to all the posters for their advise and assistance.
Hope this review helps,
Jon
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to JON MATH For This Useful Post:
Old 01-10-2010, 12:41 AM

Condor FTW!!!
Old 01-10-2010, 01:27 AM
VIP Member

Thanked 5,013 Times in 2,358 Posts
Awards Showcase
Outstanding Member Outstanding Post 
Total Awards: 2

I wish those Condor "bush" knives came with a grind that was closer to the handle.

The same criticism can be laid at many other "bushcraft" style knives. Ray Mears knows a thing or two but even his knife doesn't have the grind going close to the handle.

Perhaps it doesn't make such a big deal but traditional Scandi knives (Mora's included) are great for whittling because the grind goes all the way to the handle. Perhaps some of you would be suprised at what a small addition to the blade grind feels like when carving. The only draw back I see with this is that it can be difficult to sharpen the last mm or so without scuffing the brass/wooden/plastic bolster on the handle.

Anyway, Condor have a great reputation for quality and value.
Old 01-14-2010, 10:38 AM

"Upon further review” as they say in the NFL Having now used the blade for a little while I can update a point. The blade seems to be bead blasted, not oxide coated as I originally thought.
I recent saw a custom Nessmuk knife from Dale Chudzinski, the Condor is a crude substitute for that knife. Dale’s is more like a heavy duty kitchen knife; the Condor is more like an axe. For what I paid the Condor, I feel, is a serviceable knife, comparing it to a custom made blade is really not a fair way to judge it.
Jon
The Following User Says Thank You to JON MATH For This Useful Post:
Old 01-14-2010, 05:46 PM
Trapper

Thanked 1,050 Times in 531 Posts

I just did a trade for one of the Condor Goloks that was reviewed over at BFC & although I haven't used it much yet ( only got it yesterday ), it appears to be a tool that was made to be used hard,but won't win any beauty contests.

The grind was a little rough...fixed that.
The handle had some damage...fixed that.
No sheath came with it...fixed that.

Keeping in mind what the intended purpose of this piece is,I think it's a good value.
Just don't expect to be getting a highly refined,finished,nice looking item for the price of these things.

Like JON MATH said,comparing it to a custom just isn't a fair way to judge it.
Machetes,Goloks,Parangs etc. are tools that usually get beat up & used pretty hard & often.
The Condor looks like it will take a beating .

Cliff
Old 01-15-2010, 07:51 AM

Now that I’ve seen and used the Condor, I like the configuration of the knife and I really want to get a custom Nessmuk. It has come to my attention that this Dale Chinsinski knife maker mentioned in my earlier posts has dropped off the map, taking some customer’s deposits with him Does anyone have any familiarity with a decent custom knife maker (s) who work with in old designs?
Jon
Old 01-15-2010, 09:49 AM
Trapper

Thanked 1,050 Times in 531 Posts

These guys will make any style you want:

Kosterknives.com

gossmanknives.com

fiddlebackforge.com

koyoteknives.com

jkhandmadeknives.com

All quality makers & use good materials.
Very easy to do business with.

Dale Chudzinski on the other hand,is a POS THIEF !!!
Cliff
The Following User Says Thank You to Cliff Nieporte For This Useful Post: