Survivalist Forum

Advertise Here

Go Back   Survivalist Forum > Survival & Preparedness Forum > Urban Survival
Articles Chat Room Classifieds Donations Gallery Groups Links Store Survival Files

Notices

Urban Survival Urban survival and disaster preparedness including hurricanes, earthquakes, floods and anything else.

Advertise Here

Old 12-24-2009, 09:41 AM

Default Nedd Help: How to circulate air properly (stove)

Advertise Here

Hey guys!

I bought an house about 6 months ago. Did replace the old oil stove by something with more performance and less consumption. Still an oil stove but with some convection property and a cooking surface, etc..

I've just re-use the same tank and I'm good for about 55 days without having to do anything (run without electricity). Stove is running on it own...

Stove is in the basement, not exactly in the middle of the house (unfortunately) and this is a cottage style house, 26 X 39, 4 brick walls, basement is not finish (there is no partition yet) but it is isolated.

My problem is I can get a good constant heating source from the stove 880f (475C) but can't get it diffuse through the entire house...
I bought a fan that's runs without electricity, I also have a CPU 12v backup fan that I've made but still only get 71-72f (22C) in the basement and around 65-66f (19C) on the first floor.
I do have one big air duct over the stove that goes in the kitchen on 1st floor.

Still, why the basement is not warmer than that? I expected to be more like 77f (25C) and eventually, heat will rise on the first floor to provide something more like I have right now in the basement.

Yea I lived in Canada and weather is cold, well, f** cold
It's my first house and my first stove...
- Do you guys experience the same problem?
- Is it normal?
- What did you do to have the air circulate the entire house? Something without electricity of course!

Thanks for the help!
Old 12-24-2009, 11:04 AM
Survivor

Thanked 2,249 Times in 1,113 Posts

If you have a vent directly over the oil burner (which you stated you do) then you will never get the basement warmer without restricting the airflow from the basement to the first floor - - heat obviously rises and depending on the size of that vent there is probably a pretty large air exchange through the vent - - - Remember hot air rises and cold air drops so all your homes cold air will be droppign right down into the basement
Old 12-24-2009, 11:56 AM
Nature Explorer

Years ago I had an old two story house with a basement, and a wood cook stove in the kitchen on the first floor. I got a 5 gallon pail, put some angle iron legs on it, cut a hole in the bottom of the pail the same size as a pipe that would fit into one of the heating pipes that went to one of the upstairs bedrooms. In the bucket I also mounted a small fan so that it would pull the air from the upstairs bedroom and free flow into the basement. I would run the fan 24/7. If I kept the cook stove going nicely it would heat the whole house, and the furnace would not come on. The fan would pull the cold air from the upstairs down to the basement and get reheated on the way up again. It was just a small fan and you would not even know it was working. I also live in Canada a ways north so it got cold more than I liked. Tom.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Fishrarr For This Useful Post:
Old 12-26-2009, 08:20 PM
Infidel Gun Lover

Hot air rises and cold air falls, but not matter what, you are going to need a fan to move the air, it will not move enough on it's own without a fan. The larger the fan blades, the better it is going to work. The cold air and warm air are not going to circulate through the same opening above the stove. Some of the hot air may rise, but without a return hole somewhere you won't get much of an air exchange. Years ago I tried heating upstairs bedrooms this same way and it just didn't work.
Old 12-28-2009, 04:38 PM
Hunter

Thanked 1,290 Times in 642 Posts

get a couple fans powered by stirling engines to move air around without tapping into the electrical system.
Old 12-28-2009, 06:15 PM

Insulating the basement will help. lots of cold transfering into the basement that way. what kind of walls are down there? Bottom line is good circulation is a must. the sterling engine might work. http://www.howstuffworks.com/stirling-engine.htm
Old 12-28-2009, 07:19 PM
Sunshine On My Shoulders

Thanked 4,087 Times in 2,303 Posts

As I see it now you've only got half a heating system. You need return vents at the outside edge of the basement. Go for one in each room the cumulative area of the vents a bit larger than your kitchen vent, leave the doors open. As it stands the heated air cannot easily rise as there is no air to replace it and it would be fighting a vacuum. You should be able to get a pretty good draft going.
The Following User Says Thank You to cranky1950 For This Useful Post:
Old 12-28-2009, 07:44 PM
Trapper

We used a Fisher wood stove in the basement to heat our two story place. We had to rely on a large 30 inch wide box fan to get the right circulation. Of course without the fan things were very liveable, just not perfect for the upstairs.

There was an oil furnace, but expensive to run. After putting in wood stove we lasted 3 years per oil tank-ful.
Old 12-29-2009, 09:42 AM

Basement is fully isolated, no problems there.

I will try to put more vents in the house. Guess this will help a lot...

Thanks guys!