Survivalist Forum

Advertise Here

Go Back   Survivalist Forum > Firearms and Other Weapons Forum > Firearms General Discussion > Black powder
Articles Chat Room Classifieds Donations Gallery Groups Links Store Survival Files

Advertise Here

Old 12-18-2009, 10:42 AM

Default NEF Huntsman .50 caliber muzzleloader problem

Advertise Here

I've obtained a like new New England Firearms 50 cal "Huntsman" muzzleloader/12 gauage "Pardner" combo. The prior ownder didn't have the breech plug removal tool, which I didn't think would be a big deal to find. Boy was I wrong. I called H&R and they don't have them (nor do they even have a pdf of the manual). They gave me the name of two vendors who sell them...only neither actually does. I've tried every place I can think of and I can't seem to find one anywhere.

Here's the kicker, after I got the gun, I learned there are two pellets of powder and a sabot in it. I am thinking I need to remove the breech plug and use the rod to push out the powder and sabot (very carefully!).

Does anyone know how to remove the plug on this model gun without the tool? I am totally new to muzzleloading, so perhaps there is an obvious answer. Any help would be appreciated...and more than I got from New England Firearms.
Old 12-18-2009, 11:01 AM
Recent Blog:
Hunter

do you have a ball puller? and a range rod? try that first pour some warm water down the barrel when you try to pull it.
The Following User Says Thank You to manyholes For This Useful Post:
Old 12-18-2009, 11:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by manyholes View Post
do you have a ball puller? and a range rod? try that first pour some warm water down the barrel when you try to pull it.

I don't have anything. I got this from someone looking for cash to buy Christmas presents for his children. I know enough about muzzleloading to be dangerous--literally--but I thought this would be an inexpensive ($100) way to learn and it would help someone in need. It looks as if I just took it out of the box, plus I got a new scope with it, too. I figured I could take my time and learn muzzleloading at a leisurely pace. I wasn't counting on dealing with something like this from the outset.

As to your suggestion, I was under the impression ball pullers are for soft lead balls, not sabots. Can they be used for sabots as well?
Old 12-18-2009, 11:31 AM
Recent Blog:
Hunter

i shoot traditional so i guess i dont know about sabots but i would try it first. I dont know why it wouldnt work. you might contact the builder and ask them. pulling the breechplug should be your last resort. if you try to fire it ,tye it down and use a string to pull the trigger. i would not be suprised if it would fire.
Old 12-18-2009, 11:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by manyholes View Post
i shoot traditional so i guess i dont know about sabots but i would try it first. I dont know why it wouldnt work. you might contact the builder and ask them. pulling the breechplug should be your last resort. if you try to fire it ,tye it down and use a string to pull the trigger. i would not be suprised if it would fire.

I will see if I can find a puller that will work.

I think I will call a gunsmith for some advice, but I like your idea of using a string to pull the trigger. (Who knows what's really loaded in there?) If it would fire that seems like the easiest way to solve the problem (plus, it would give me an excuse to buy 209 primers and other needed gear while I'm at the store).
Old 12-18-2009, 04:12 PM

if you do try the firing method...usually works...run your ram rod down the barrel first and make sure it is seated all they way down on the powder or else you'll blow the gun up.

The ball/sabot needs to be COMPLETELY seated on the powder or else it will act just like any other barrel blockage and destroy the barrel...and your face.

I don't know if the ball puller would work in a sabot as I only shoot soft lead round balls, I don't see why it wouldn't though...just may be a little harder to screw in.
The Following User Says Thank You to big country For This Useful Post:
Old 12-18-2009, 04:18 PM

Just be real careful. For all you know they put one pellet and two sabots in.

Edit, I just looked it up. The huntsman has a rather easy breach plug to fabricate a wrench for.

http://www.e-gunparts.com/DisplayAd....CatID=&mySort=

If you do not feel like trying yourself, A gunsmith could get it out in not time.

Last edited by Danman8520; 12-18-2009 at 04:34 PM.. Reason: more info
The Following User Says Thank You to Danman8520 For This Useful Post:
Old 12-18-2009, 11:14 PM
Survivor

Thanked 2,148 Times in 1,181 Posts

You would be wise to buy two of those breech plugs,and make damn sure you apply anti-seize to the plug before installing it.
The Following User Says Thank You to FredLee For This Useful Post:
Old 12-19-2009, 01:29 PM

I tried to find a puller, but none of the stores I checked, including Bass Pro, had one in stock. In the end I left it with a gunsmith who said he can get it out with no trouble.

The gunsmith said the design of my muzzleloader is inherently dangerous ("they scare me to death."), which is disturbing. I am wondering if I should install a25 acp plug instead.
Old 12-19-2009, 01:43 PM
Hiker

I have several breach plug tools,if you could post a pick of yours i might have the tool your looking for.....Does your rifle use a shotgun primer? and is thear a slot in the breach plug that looks as if a very big straight blade screwdriver could be used?
If i had a pick id be able to narrow it down.........
Ok after seing the last couple of posts i have the tool your looking for,pm me with your adress and ill send it too you as i nolonger have a need for it.........
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to ms,hillbilly For This Useful Post:
Old 12-19-2009, 04:31 PM

http://www.go2gbo.com/forums/index.php?topic=164130.0
The Following User Says Thank You to Danman8520 For This Useful Post:
Old 12-19-2009, 06:27 PM
Survivor

Quote:
Originally Posted by tennesseetrouter View Post
I tried to find a puller, but none of the stores I checked, including Bass Pro, had one in stock. In the end I left it with a gunsmith who said he can get it out with no trouble.

The gunsmith said the design of my muzzleloader is inherently dangerous ("they scare me to death."), which is disturbing. I am wondering if I should install a25 acp plug instead.
What is he alledging us so dangerous about it? Lots of people in my area bought and hunt with those,with no problems.
Old 12-19-2009, 09:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ms,hillbilly View Post
I have several breach plug tools,if you could post a pick of yours i might have the tool your looking for.....Does your rifle use a shotgun primer? and is thear a slot in the breach plug that looks as if a very big straight blade screwdriver could be used?
If i had a pick id be able to narrow it down.........
Ok after seing the last couple of posts i have the tool your looking for,pm me with your adress and ill send it too you as i nolonger have a need for it.........

Thanks for the offer. It's most generous! That said, the guy I got it from found his wrench and let me know today. If he doesn't get it to me as promised, I will get back to you.
The Following User Says Thank You to tennesseetrouter For This Useful Post:
Old 12-19-2009, 09:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by FredLee View Post
What is he alledging us so dangerous about it? Lots of people in my area bought and hunt with those,with no problems.

He didn't go into detail, but he said the specifics of NEF's break barrel design created the possibility of the gun going off when it is snapped together. He begged me not to allow my child hunt with it for that reason. And he urged me to close it gently.

I am now wondering what distinguishes it from other inline break barrels.
Old 12-20-2009, 01:59 PM
wage slave

Just looking at this page, there is a picture of the breech plug. The whole rifle looks pretty similar to the CVA optima pro. I've never owned a breech plug tool for mine, and I have always just used a socket to pull the breech plug out. Why haven't you tried that yet?

And as far as it shooting when you close the break action, I personally think you would have to be slamming it pretty darn hard to get it to go off like that. I've shot my rifle probably close to 400 times in the couple of years I've owned it and I've never had anything even remotely close to a misfire or an accidental discharge.
Old 12-20-2009, 09:16 PM
Survivor

Thanked 2,818 Times in 1,753 Posts

With any gun new to me, I try to make the gun fire acidentally on purpose. I make sure the gun is unloaded, I put a practice snap cap in if i own one. I bang the gun around first. I slam the buttstock on the ground a few times. I try to bump into the hammer like a branch catching it. Try to make it fire with the safety on.

with the break action slam it closed a good 20 or 30 times.

Most things that are deemed more safe just have more testing done to them. Also, once you find the load you like, mark the rod. I find the thompson center sabots to be affordable and very accurate. Triple seven is the only powder i'll use too.

Just use a 1/4" ratchet and socket. Also, I like to use a 1/8" drill bit and turn it with my finger to clean the breech hole from the primer end.

I have never known a person not to love a NEF firearm.
The Following User Says Thank You to sailinghudson25 For This Useful Post:
Old 12-21-2009, 04:09 PM
Recent Blog:
Hunter

let us know what was in the breech. And think primitive getcha a flinter and some roundball.. way more fun and it makes ya feel like the last of the Mohicans.
Old 12-21-2009, 05:23 PM
Happiness is 2 at low 8

FWIW a couple years ago a friend, who's into "all things firearm", bought a front stuffer off the Internet for dirt cheap... When he dropped the ramrod down the bore to ensure the rifle was not loaded it seemed to be half full of "something". This Plains rifle did not have a breech plug to pull so what to do? He wound up removing the nipple and replacing it with a suitably threaded grease fitting. They used a grease gun to force out (are you ready for this?) 8 powder/patch/ball combinations. Yikes!!! That was eight times someone, or some people, had screwed this up. Perhaps when the gun wouldn't fire they sold it to the next guy who loaded it up or what ever...??? Who knows for sure? In any event the rifle works fine now...

The point here being, if you really get stuck at getting whatever has been stuffed in thru the muzzle back out the muzzle without firing the gun, as a last resort a grease gun works great.

My buddy used grease. In the past I have forced penetrating oil thru a grease gun to free up king pins in my Ford F250 so if you don't want the mess of using grease, penetrating oil will work too... Be sure to use lots of soap and hot water to remove the grease and/or oil before trying to load it up again...

Allan
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to birdman For This Useful Post:
Old 12-21-2009, 08:05 PM
Survivor

Quote:
Originally Posted by birdman View Post
FWIW a couple years ago a friend, who's into "all things firearm", bought a front stuffer off the Internet for dirt cheap... When he dropped the ramrod down the bore to ensure the rifle was not loaded it seemed to be half full of "something". This Plains rifle did not have a breech plug to pull so what to do? He wound up removing the nipple and replacing it with a suitably threaded grease fitting. They used a grease gun to force out (are you ready for this?) 8 powder/patch/ball combinations. Yikes!!! That was eight times someone, or some people, had screwed this up. Perhaps when the gun wouldn't fire they sold it to the next guy who loaded it up or what ever...??? Who knows for sure? In any event the rifle works fine now...

The point here being, if you really get stuck at getting whatever has been stuffed in thru the muzzle back out the muzzle without firing the gun, as a last resort a grease gun works great.

My buddy used grease. In the past I have forced penetrating oil thru a grease gun to free up king pins in my Ford F250 so if you don't want the mess of using grease, penetrating oil will work too... Be sure to use lots of soap and hot water to remove the grease and/or oil before trying to load it up again...

Allan
That is actually a dang neat idea.
Old 08-18-2013, 10:37 AM

Exclamation

I have a NFA Huntsman 45 Blk Pdr. My breech plug is not threaded. It pushes out with the ram rod. I use a range rod. You can put a 3/8" socket on the nipple and turn it till it loosens up. I put a sabot and round in once with out the powder and had no problem doing the above. Be advised, you have to take the barrel off the gun to get the breech plug out as it will hit your stalk group there at the firing pin. Arg ! I know.. Hope this helps..