Survivalist Forum

Advertise Here

Go Back   Survivalist Forum > Survival & Preparedness Forum > Disaster Preparedness General Discussion
Articles Chat Room Classifieds Donations Gallery Groups Links Store Survival Files

Disaster Preparedness General Discussion Anything Disaster Preparedness or Survival Related

Advertise Here

Old 12-16-2009, 08:49 PM
This is a great survival forum

Default Buying cheap land online

Advertise Here

Should I go for it, or run, hide, and look elsewhere for land? I am sick of being homeless in national forests and in towns of America. Somewhere to call home, that I owned would be nice. I'm in the 3-5k 1-2 acres (or less) market. I like the choice in Oregon. Is there anything I need to know to be safe on a deal, like clear title and all the jargon?

http://www.landcentral.com/land-for-sale/
Old 12-16-2009, 09:06 PM
Preparing since 1972

Thanked 4,560 Times in 2,163 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by offgridmontana View Post
Should I go for it, or run, hide, and look elsewhere for land? I am sick of being homeless in national forests and in towns of America. Somewhere to call home, that I owned would be nice. I'm in the 3-5k 1-2 acres (or less) market. I like the choice in Oregon. Is there anything I need to know to be safe on a deal, like clear title and all the jargon?

ALWAYS go thru a Title co...Make sure you find out if there are any easements on the property....A person can buy property and find out that they cannot have any type of trailer or horses ect on it ......Cheap land is cheap for a reason..Utilities may be far away..It is very expensive to bring in electricity....A well is expensive ...Before you buy research the area well..
The Following 12 Users Say Thank You to joes For This Useful Post:
Old 12-16-2009, 09:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by joes View Post
ALWAYS go thru a Title co...Make sure you find out if there are any easements on the property....A person can buy property and find out that they cannot have any type of trailer or horses ect on it ......Cheap land is cheap for a reason..Utilities may be far away..It is very expensive to bring in electricity....A well is expensive ...Before you buy research the area well..
I don't want electricity because I can use gas generators, solar, wind, etc. I can heat with wood. But I don't want zoning laws or yuppie neighbors. I might camp on it at first, and then build a cabin.
Old 12-16-2009, 09:26 PM
Live Secret, Live Happy

Thanked 11,536 Times in 4,357 Posts

Quote:

Lake county Oregon is actually a real nice place. I would prefer land nearer to Lakeview or in the Warner Lakes area. Check out the listings in their local paper. The chamber of commerce in Lakeview will send you a relocation package if you ask.

I also suggest you check out the La Grande area. Prices are still reasonable and the town has a hospital, shopping, and a university.

You need to see this before you buy. The area is very remote and most of the listing in Christmas tree valley have no ground water.
Old 12-16-2009, 09:41 PM
"Somebody Get a Rope"

Thanked 1,144 Times in 542 Posts

I believe it would be ill-advised to purchase land sight-unseen. Real-estate needs to be seen and felt.

Find an area that appeals to you, then spend a few days at the courthouse pouring over the deed books and property tax records. Look for small parcels owned by out of state owners purchased long ago.

In today's economy, an offer to buy an almost forgotten piece of property would be considered a Godsend.

And remember, terms are more important than price - Find someone willing to sell for zero down in exchange for a 12 - 15 percent interest mortgage.

If no one is interested in selling, try to lease. You could lease a small corner of a large parcel without having to go through the grief of working out a subdivision with the county. A twenty year lease with first refusal purchase option would protect your improvements.

Good luck.

elgin
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to elgin For This Useful Post:
Old 12-16-2009, 09:53 PM
Grand Poobah of Sarcasm

Thanked 4,804 Times in 1,544 Posts

I have a 100x135 lot for $2000 in Lothair MT. No covenants.
The Following User Says Thank You to crankyfarmer For This Useful Post:
Old 12-16-2009, 09:56 PM
Trapper

Thanked 3,083 Times in 444 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by joes View Post
I second this. Make sure your parcel isn't part of a general ranch sale with restrictive covenants. Also, most cheap land deals have marginal access in winter, no water, or ammenities of any kind. The water issue can be big in some mountain regions as a well would greatly increase cost of land.
Old 12-16-2009, 10:26 PM
Preparing since 1972

Thanked 4,560 Times in 2,163 Posts

Quote:
I don't want electricity because I can use gas generators, solar, wind, etc. I can heat with wood. But I don't want zoning laws or yuppie neighbors. I might camp on it at first, and then build a cabin.
Solar is nice but check the exact area you are in as like you say wind may be a better option for you...Oregon has some wet weather and the sun will not be available at all times...Also there are forest fires where the sky can be dull for days with smoke....Generators are nice but running for fuel in the winter can be rough..Also bringing in potable water everyweek gets old after awhile...I have done all of these...I also know people by me that are off the grid and it is wearing on them as they say..........Sounds to me like you are are doing great on learning about this....Keep up the good work and keep your mind open and continue to research things....Keep us posted...Good luck...............................To somewhat avoid so called bad neighbors look for property that borders National Forest ect so other people can never build on it.....
Old 12-16-2009, 10:46 PM
Survivor

Thanked 5,823 Times in 2,453 Posts

I would never buy land sight unseen. And, like it was said above, well water in the west can be very expensive to dig for...more than the cost of the land. Also make sure the seller is reputable. Some firms like that are scams where you can easily lose what you paid for it.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to lanahi For This Useful Post:
Old 12-16-2009, 11:04 PM

I've stumbled across these things as well and they have piqued my interest. Land in West Texas, down near Big Bend, is CHEAP. As in $395 +/- an acre. Yeah, water will be pretty much non-existent, but solar is an option and a rain catch would be the best option. It is roughly 5 hours away and I'd be looking to just setup a camper and hunt. A getaway for next to nothing money-wise.

Not much to see out there...fairly flat and mountains all around. Price can't be beat.

Thoughts?
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to pbwalker For This Useful Post:
Old 12-16-2009, 11:28 PM
Survivor

Thanked 3,038 Times in 1,648 Posts

Lets start with Ingress and Egress this is the right to enter the land is a legal recording done to allow this. Is the land surveyed with a stake in all corners of the land?. Are there any CCR's? ..which is legal phrase for restrictions placed on the land (ie no mobile homes no houses under 1000 sq ft etc.) Rural living as you indicated?... What is the depth of the Water in the area you wish to purchase?... what does a well cost to drill. Taxes how much are they a year? Is the land designated Agriculture, Native growth protection area, open space, etc so you can not live on it or build? What are the o****y that it is in Building code reirements...Permit for over 120 250 400 sq ft??What are the septic requirements for a dwelling? Is a privy permit enough to get by?School age kids? .. is it on a bus route or mail route?
Is the area isolated and in snow country? what about plowed roads to access the land year round? How is the job market in the area your buying in is there a way to make a living? Is the place that you are buying from.. preying on people by over pricing and selling worthless land...for the intent that the person wants it for. By living extremely rural is here a chance you may be ripped off on your first trip to town to get supplies? Is the area being purchased subject to flooding is it on a 100 year flood plain or Flash Flood path ie dry creek bed that is deep, with boulders, and trees carried from great distances? Why not relocate.. do a Lease with option ..to get by as you get to learn and know a particular area. How about short sales as a way to get some property(bank owned) How about gong to Us govt HUD housing and seeing what is for sale?? A lot to consider However with the right knowlege and a bit of timeyou will be ok. Talk to famliy and friends and things should work out for you...Good luck!.. just remember.... Buyer Beware......especially in this market and economy.
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to greenhorn For This Useful Post:
Old 12-16-2009, 11:30 PM
Survivor

Thanked 5,823 Times in 2,453 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by pbwalker View Post
I've stumbled across these things as well and they have piqued my interest. Land in West Texas, down near Big Bend, is CHEAP. As in $395 +/- an acre. Yeah, water will be pretty much non-existent, but solar is an option and a rain catch would be the best option. It is roughly 5 hours away and I'd be looking to just setup a camper and hunt. A getaway for next to nothing money-wise.

Not much to see out there...fairly flat and mountains all around. Price can't be beat.

Thoughts?
What rain do you plan to catch?
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to lanahi For This Useful Post:
Old 12-18-2009, 05:33 PM

I did some online research about Oregon, in Klamath Falls area with a simple Google search. Too many environmentalists screwed folks. On certain days, even in the winter, land owners can't burn their wood stoves, other days EPA certified only...blah, blah, blah...save the earth bull crap. There is .2 acres on the Salmon River, south of Salmon, ID for 5,600.00. I might check that out.
Old 12-18-2009, 05:49 PM
Maximus

Thanked 13,274 Times in 5,961 Posts

Buy land online unseen and you will STILL be homeless after seeing the land is in the middle of a flood zone or directly under high power electrical lines.

You really need to see it unless you can aford a total wash on the investment. Your tossing dice if you ask me. How many real estate places show the crappy pictures of what they are selling? No they all show you pretty trees and birds and rivers etc.
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to vicdotcom For This Useful Post:
Old 12-18-2009, 06:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by vicdotcom View Post
Buy land online unseen and you will STILL be homeless after seeing the land is in the middle of a flood zone or directly under high power electrical lines.

You really need to see it unless you can afford a total wash on the investment. Your tossing dice if you ask me. How many real estate places show the crappy pictures of what they are selling? No they all show you pretty trees and birds and rivers etc.
I actually do, indeed, plan on traveling there and checking it out. Any company who misleads will get trashed online by me. That's a promise.
Old 12-18-2009, 06:46 PM
Hiker

Check for back taxes. And copm. against business from BBB and sec. of states office. In some states you can check to see if a person has a realestate lic.
Old 12-18-2009, 06:54 PM
I love this forum

Thanked 6,819 Times in 3,430 Posts

to buy land, you need to see it, walk on it, feel it.
buying land online is really gambling.
Old 12-18-2009, 07:08 PM
www.chemflame.com

I would checkout the satellite pictures on Google maps of the property and surronding property first. You might be able to pull up information about the land if the county tax appraisers have a online site. After doing some research, go out and actually walk the property.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to IceDemon For This Useful Post:
Old 12-18-2009, 07:10 PM

I guess I'll be traveling to Salmon, ID to check out the lots, and if that doesn't pan out, on to Where ever my car takes me. I was thinking, maybe I should get a better vehicle and do the mobile bug out. The only disadvantage is if I did get visitation rights to see my kid, I would be viewed as homeless. Well, we will see...
Old 12-18-2009, 07:12 PM
Born to prep

Thanked 2,378 Times in 1,012 Posts
Awards Showcase
Outstanding Thread 
Total Awards: 1

Quote:
I actually do, indeed, plan on traveling there and checking it out. Any company who misleads will get trashed online by me. That's a promise.
Make sure the land has an undiscovered cave on it before you bother to go look at it.
The Following User Says Thank You to Pawiscoming For This Useful Post: