Survivalist Forum

Advertise Here

Go Back   Survivalist Forum > Survival & Preparedness Forum > Urban Survival > Communications
Articles Chat Room Classifieds Donations Gallery Groups Links Store Survival Files

Advertise Here

Old 12-16-2009, 01:09 PM
population control

Default QRP?

Advertise Here

So I am new to the radio stuff and have been researching QRP but aside from it being small and using low voltage I know nothing about it. What are the advantages of this system? Can it broadcast stuff aside from morse code? Is this some thing that would be of use in prepping? Any info you guys can provide is of great appreciation. Thanks.

Last edited by tag187; 12-16-2009 at 02:21 PM..
Old 12-16-2009, 04:41 PM

Advantages would be smaller and portable, can use batteries to power. You can usually build a QRP kit cheaper than buying a new radio.
You can transmit voice, data and CW. A legal CB could be considered QRP.
Any use to prepping I guess is up to you. I have a couple of small solar panels that charge sealed lead acid batteries that I can use to power a few of my QRP radio's when power goes out or for added points during contests.

Links to some of the kits I have put together.

http://www.smallwonderlabs.com/ The PSK 80 and 20

http://www.qrpkits.com/bitx20a.html The Bitx20 SSB
Old 01-28-2010, 05:23 AM

The advantages is of course Size and Cost. However, unless you have been working with radios for years and really have a strong grasp of what they can and can not do, stay away from QRP at an entry level.

QRP can be days of calling CQ with no contact. Lots of time spent and very little or nothing to show for it. Do not misunderstand me, it can be a fun and rewarding hobby, but not something that you would depend on for survival.

The QRP nuts are always trying to go further on less power output. That means that they are masters of resonant antennas and feedline systems. Or at least the successful ones are. My recommendations is get into the hobby with as much power as you can afford for now 100 watts is considered low power, not QRP. QRP is generally anything under 10 Watts and less. Anything over 100 Watts PEP is considered High Power and for Amatuer licenses, that high power limit is reached at 1500 Watts PEP

Just so you know that is a lot of Radio Frequency Power.

QRP has its place in learning about radio and how to make it work for you, but honestly there is not much use for it in as a planned survival tool. This is my opinion and others may disagree. I liken QRP to Survival, Like Water Wings to Falling through the Ice. Probably not going to hurt ya, but not really going to be of much use.
Old 01-28-2010, 11:13 PM
Bad Azz M 60 / Proud MM

Thanked 1,417 Times in 531 Posts

I agree with the previous posts. QRP has it's place and can be an art form for some in the hobby. But I would not rely on it in a survival situation.

Not sure where you want to go, UHF/VHF for short comms in simplex mode, 30,40, 50, 60 miles. Repeaters will get better range but may not function in a in a SHTF situation.

Or you can go HF for the greater range. Don't forget the antenna, and antenna tuner, coax, power supplies and all the other ancillary equipment just to get started. Then you have to know how to put it all together and erect an antenna.
Old 01-29-2010, 12:50 AM
Target Shooter

Quote:
Originally Posted by killdeer View Post
The advantages is of course Size and Cost. However, unless you have been working with radios for years and really have a strong grasp of what they can and can not do, stay away from QRP at an entry level.

Amen to that
The Following User Says Thank You to mikeflys1 For This Useful Post: