Survivalist Forum

Advertise Here

Go Back   Survivalist Forum > Firearms and Other Weapons Forum > Firearms General Discussion
Articles Chat Room Classifieds Donations Gallery Groups Links Store Survival Files

Firearms General Discussion Rifles, pistols, shotguns, scopes, grips and everything in between.

Advertise Here

Old 12-12-2009, 09:53 PM
Hunter

Thanked 1,523 Times in 705 Posts
Default Reloading custom ammo for resale - restrictions or laws?

Advertise Here

I'm sure I am going to get some of you gun obsessed people who know all the laws acting like this is a crazy suggestion or question but IDC.

I am wondering if it is legal to reload ammo and sell it, maybe do custom reloads. Would a FFL be needed or other licenses other than a state sales tax? Where I live I only need a state sales tax license to sell ammo (I have an account with Jerry's Sports Center).

Any ideas or suggestions?
Old 12-13-2009, 09:22 AM
Hiker

Lots and lots and lots of insurance. If you're making enough to sell, the likelyhood of you doing a squib load or a double load is too great. Once someone's gun blows up in their hand, you're gonna be in trouble if they choose to sue.

The rounds also won't be suitable for EDC/self defense loads, for the same reason you can't carry your own reloads. It just looks bad in the court of law, and has the potential to ruin any kind of defense you might put up. 'Are these REALLY the same bullets that you had in your handgun, Mr. X? You have been known for 'manufacturing' evidence."

I could see some potential for hunting loads, but you still run the liability issue. I don't know if there's any specific law against it, though...just seems like a bad idea.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to TrysteofFate For This Useful Post:
Old 12-13-2009, 01:13 PM
Walking methane refinery

Thanked 99,852 Times in 32,497 Posts
Awards Showcase
Outstanding Member 
Total Awards: 1

We just had this same question a day or so back.

You need to be a licensed manufacturer. That means going through the ATF. You'll need gobs of insurance. Check with the NRA for that. You are a member, right? You'll also need whatever licensing that your state and city require, as well as meeting fire code. You'd probably need to rent a commercial unit somewhere in order to meet code. Otherwise you can't keep enough powder on site if it's residential.
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to MikeK For This Useful Post:
Old 12-13-2009, 05:44 PM
Hunter

Thanked 1,523 Times in 705 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by TrysteofFate View Post
Lots and lots and lots of insurance. If you're making enough to sell, the likelyhood of you doing a squib load or a double load is too great. Once someone's gun blows up in their hand, you're gonna be in trouble if they choose to sue.

The rounds also won't be suitable for EDC/self defense loads, for the same reason you can't carry your own reloads. It just looks bad in the court of law, and has the potential to ruin any kind of defense you might put up. 'Are these REALLY the same bullets that you had in your handgun, Mr. X? You have been known for 'manufacturing' evidence."

I could see some potential for hunting loads, but you still run the liability issue. I don't know if there's any specific law against it, though...just seems like a bad idea.
Thank you for this post!
Old 12-13-2009, 08:06 PM
Hunter

Thanked 1,287 Times in 629 Posts

Its really not worth it...

By the time you buy components, charge for your time, etc you would have to charge roughly the price of factory ammo. People probably won't take a risk on your ammo when they could get something produced in the factory for about the same amount of cash.

Shooting someone elses reloads is usually a bad idea, at least most people think so, so trying to reload/load for profit is really not something that is fruitful enough to get into imho.
Old 12-22-2009, 02:38 PM

You would need a lic.from ATF but not ffl. Another thing is if you load someones brass and they get it back, you won't owe fed. tax. Take one persons, load it and sell it to someone else you owe tax.

You MAY get by if you arn't selling at gun shows to charge to load for people if they furnish the componets. No lic.needed. If you're talking about a commercial operation,that wouldn't work.
Old 12-24-2009, 04:51 PM
Recent Blog:
Survivor

Thanked 2,980 Times in 1,690 Posts

We had a guy up here whose ammo wasted more guns than the Clinton Administration and he was never sued. 44's mostly.

It's very hard to prove, especially if you are loading used brass. They have to prove it was your ammo and not their own recipe. Really the only way to do it is to have a uninterested 3rd party dissect your ammo and it must be done in the company of everyone's attorney's or it don't mean squat. Also, the defendant can collect reasonable attorney's fees if the case is not proven.

Most general liability policies will cover you for $5000 in medical with no questions asked and no rate increase. It's what I had for years.
The Following User Says Thank You to AKpredator For This Useful Post:
Old 12-25-2009, 05:02 AM
Wilddieb

Thanked 1,741 Times in 921 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by tankman1989 View Post
I'm sure I am going to get some of you gun obsessed people who know all the laws acting like this is a crazy suggestion or question but IDC.

I am wondering if it is legal to reload ammo and sell it, maybe do custom reloads. Would a FFL be needed or other licenses other than a state sales tax? Where I live I only need a state sales tax license to sell ammo (I have an account with Jerry's Sports Center).

Any ideas or suggestions?
Do you think there is a market for commercial reloading?

I would not buy reloaded ammo. I would not even shoot reloaded ammo for free.

If something happens, like you sold one overloaded round, do you want to be recourse?

And the profit margin will be very thin to zero...the guys I know with expensive big game calibers (Africa hunters) do not care about ammo cost or reload themselves.
Old 12-27-2009, 02:02 AM
Recent Blog:
Survivor

Thanked 2,980 Times in 1,690 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Waldlaeufer View Post
...the guys I know with expensive big game calibers (Africa hunters) do not care about ammo cost or reload themselves.
Since when does an African Hunter need to save money by reloading? A Safari there is 30-100k. What does $100 bill for a box of ammo mean to them?
Old 04-13-2013, 05:39 AM

Default Reloading

Do u know if it is considered reloading if u just change what comes
Out of the bullet? Say u open up the back of a shot gun shell
And put something in with the shot and closed it back up. Your
Not messing with the powder or the primer. Would u need a
Reloading license to do that if u where going to sell them?
Old 04-13-2013, 09:41 AM
Hunter

Quote:
Originally Posted by AKpredator View Post
Since when does an African Hunter need to save money by reloading? A Safari there is 30-100k. What does $100 bill for a box of ammo mean to them?
That was his point.
Old 04-13-2013, 12:44 PM
Recent Blog:
Survivor

Thanked 8,245 Times in 2,601 Posts

IM 1 of those GUN OBSESSED people you refered to. AND i would NEVER shoot anyone elses reloads. period.
Old 04-13-2013, 01:28 PM
Stinks like...BO

Thanked 1,775 Times in 565 Posts

I just saw a .45LC with its frame split (it was a new gun) because he was making high pressure reloads and didn't know what he was doing. I have heard people ask "do you fill the case with powder to the top"!!! SO Reloads are mine and mine alone. Its sad that some idiots ruin it for the guys who are way better hand loaders than I could ever hope to be, and would make great ammo, but thats just how I feel about it...better safe
Old 04-13-2013, 02:40 PM
Demon of the Midwest

Thanked 7,291 Times in 2,572 Posts

Bartering is fine with no license, only selling for profits. So if you were to trade X 30-06 for X 375 H&H mag rounds your legal. Sell X 375 H&H mag you loaded for a rifle you use to own, your ok. Do it multable times, you fall under the requirements for license.
Old 04-14-2013, 08:35 PM
Survivor

Thanked 5,165 Times in 2,462 Posts

As a licensed manufacturer I can say that right now its not worth it.

Between insurance cost, component cost and my time, factory is cheaper.

With the exception of some special custom ammo, I don't make ammo right now. The money's not there.
Old 04-16-2013, 11:02 AM

Very old thread but would not use someone else's reloads.

That being said, SW ammo will reload ammo for you cheap. This would be the only reloaded ammo I'd shoot done by someone else. Have no idea what their turn around time is as do my own stuff.