Survivalist Forum

Advertise Here

Go Back   Survivalist Forum > Survival & Preparedness Forum > Wilderness Survival, Hiking and Camping Forum
Articles Chat Room Classifieds Donations Gallery Groups Links Store Survival Files

Advertise Here

Old 03-09-2008, 03:53 PM
Stranded in Ohio

Awards Showcase
Outstanding video 
Total Awards: 1
Thumbs up Survival: A Simulation Game

Advertise Here

Alright guys and gals, my sister just stopped by with an interesting story. She had an interview here at Ohio State to get into their Graduate School Program. Now apparently one of the segments of her interview was a group thing, just to see how they work in a group. They were given a survival 'game' and told to do it. I had never heard of this game, or would I imagine a University would use it as a means to judge people for admittance. Anyway, it's a long type and a long read, I'll post the Question and the Rules first, then in a second post ill list the answers.
DO NOT READ THE SECOND POST UNTIL YOUR COMPLETED WITH THE TEST

ok, here goes my keyboard

You and your companions have just survived the crash of a small plane. Both the pilot and the copilot were killed in the crash. It is mid-January, and you are in Northern Canada. The daily temperature is -25 during the day and -40 at night. There is snow on the ground, and the coutryside is wooded with several creeks criss-crossing the area. The nearest town is 20 miles away. You are all dressed in city clothes appropriate for a business meeting. Your group of survivors managed to salvage the following items:

A ball of steel wool
A small ax
A loaded .45 caliber pistol
Can of crisco shortening
Newspapers (1 for each person)
Cigarette lighter (without fluid, but sparks)
Extra Shirt and Pants for each person
20' x 20' peice of heavy duty canvas
A sectional air map made of plastic
One Quart of 100 proof whiskey
A compass
Family-size chocolate bars (1 per person)

Your task as a group is to list the above 12 items in order of importance for your survival. List the uses for each. You MUST come to agreement as a group.

STOP HERE IF YOU DONT WANT TO SEE THE ANSWERS.
Old 03-09-2008, 04:20 PM
Stranded in Ohio

Awards Showcase
Outstanding video 

EXPLANATION:

Mid-january is the coldest time of year in Northern Canada. The first problem survivors face is preservation of body heat ad the protection against it's loss. This problem can be solved by building a fire, minimizing movement, using as much insulation as possible, and constructing a shelter.

(paragraph about the stresses of survival;emotional etc. i think we all know these and i dont wanna type it out)

Before taking off a pilot has to file a flight plan which contains vital information about the course, speed, ETA, type of aircraft, and # of passengers. Search-and-Rescue operations begin shortly after the failure of a plane to reach its destination at the appropriate time.

The 20 miles to the nearest town is along walk under even ideal conditions. In this situation the walk is even more difficult due to shock, snow, dress, and water barriers. It would mean almost certain death from freezing and exhaustion. At temperatures of -25 to -40, the loss of body heat though exertion is a very serious matter.

Once the survivors have found ways to keep warm, their next task is to attract the attention of search planes. Thus, all the items the group have salvaged must be asses for their value in signaling the group's wearabouts.

The following rankings of survivor items was made by Mark Wanvig, a former instructor in survival training for the Recon School of the 101st Division of the US Army. Mr. Wanvig currently conducts wilderness survival training in Minnesota.

RANKINGS: (most important to least important)

1. Cigarette Lighter - will produce sparks that can be used to ignte a fire

2. Ball of steel wool - To make a fire, the survivors need a means of catching the sparks made by the lighst. This is the best substance for catching a spark and supporting a flame, even if a little wet.

3. Extra Shirt and Pants - Can be used for warmth, shelter, signaling, bedding, bandages, string, and fuel for the fire

4. Can of crisco shortening - Mirror like signaling device can be made from the lid. Can be used to shield the skin against the cold/sun. Can be melted and used as a fuel. Can be used to hold and melt snow for drinking.

5. 20' x 20' canvas - Used for a wind shelter or to sit on and keep everybody dry. It's square shape will also stand out against the area and act as a signaling device.

6. Small Ax - Used for chopping wood, clearing a campsite, etc.

7. Family Size Chocolate Bar - Chocolate will provide some food energy. Since it's mostly carbs, it supplies energy without making digestive demands on the body

8. Newspapers - Useful for starting a fire. Can also be used as insulation under clothing when rolled up and placed between layers. Can be rolled up and used as a megaphone for signaling. Also as reading material to help keep people calm.

9. Loaded .45 Cal pistol - Provides a sound signaling device, 3 shots in a row is the international distress signal. The butt can be used as a hammer. Fire can be started with the gunpowder from the bullets. However, the pistol can also be used to harm others if stress, irritability, and anger build in the group. Can be used for hunting, but would require someone with a good shot.

10. Quart of 100 Proof Whiskey - the only uses should be in first aid and fire building. Empty bottle could be used for water storage. Drinking will lower the bodies temperature.

11. Compass - Because a compass might encourage someone to try and walk to the nearest town, it is a dangerous item. It's only redeeming quality is that it can be used to reflect light and signal help.

12. Sectional Plastic Air Map - Least desirable because it too will encourage people to want to walk to salvation. It's only useful quality is that it can be used to sit on and keep someone dry.

SCORING:
Take your top 5 most important items and compare them with this list. Award points to the number that corresponds to this list. Example, if you had a compass in the top 5, give yourself 11 points, if you had steel wool give yourself 2. Like Golf, lowest score wins, and more importantly, survives.
Old 03-09-2008, 04:46 PM
SURVIVOR

Awards Showcase
Outstanding Thread Outstanding Member 
Total Awards: 2
Talking #ing the importance was difficult

#10)....A ball of steel wool-not too sure about this one

#8)....A small ax-chop firewood and parts of the plane for peices to cover,protect the area your sheltering yourself in

7#)....A loaded .45 caliber pistol-protect yourself from dangers like bears and other group members, and if the gun is silver you can use a small puice of chololate to polish it for a signal mirror

#6).....Can of crisco shortening-dip small torn peices of 1 t-shirt for starting a fires

#5)....Newspapers (1 for each person)-crunch the newspaper up and stuff into your shirt for layering..use a few peices for catchin coaxing a flame outa the steel wool

#1)....Cigarette lighter (without fluid, but sparks)-catching whiskey and steel wool on fire

#4)....Extra Shirt and Pants for each person- put them on a stuff newspaper in them

#3)....20' x 20' peice of heavy duty canvas-small peices to wrap around steel wool soaked

#9).....A sectional air map made of plasti-maybe polish it with chocolate

#2)....One Quart of 100 proof whiskey-pour some over a piece of steel wool

#7).....A compass

#last)....Family-size chocolate bars (1 per person)-ration them and use to polish- also use for bait to shoot a larger meal like a rabbit or whatnot
Old 03-09-2008, 06:00 PM

Awards Showcase
Outstanding Helpful Post 

I'm pretty sure that this game has been on here before and I thought I played, but when I search for it, nothing shows up. Maybe it's been deleted. Who knows. Anyways, this is fairly old and the only problem I have is that I don't think that Crisco cans come with metal lids or bottoms anymore. So a signal mirror from them wouldn't happen. They ranked lower on my list because of this reason.
Old 03-09-2008, 06:46 PM
Stranded in Ohio

Awards Showcase
Outstanding video 

yea i had thought i had seen something like this before on these boards, but i couldnt find it so i decided to start a new thread.
Old 03-27-2008, 05:47 PM

1-Handgun to scare or kill bear (a potential immediate threat), to fire SOS shots and a bullet can be dismantled for the powder to start a fire.

2-The 20x20 canvas for protection from rain/wind/cold as there may be no wood for a fire.

3- Extra clothes for more cold protection as there may be no wood for a fire.

4-Newspapers to stuff into clothes for warmth and to help light a fire if wood is available.

5-Whiskey to warm you if there is no fire.

6- Lighter to start powder-paper-wood if available.

7- Crisco to lube newspaper for fire or to eat if need calories.

8- Chocolate for energy/calories.

9- Steel wool to polish something metal for a signalling device.

10- Compass should you decide not to await rescuers.

11- Air map to find safest/shortest route to safety.

12- Ax to make getting wood easier and as extra protection from predators.

***These folks may have just left work and decided to go for a joy ride so their exact route may not be known to rescuers.

Last edited by liamsoho; 03-29-2008 at 04:45 PM.. Reason: info covered in other posts