Survivalist Forum

Advertise Here

Go Back   Survivalist Forum > Firearms and Other Weapons Forum > Firearms General Discussion
Articles Chat Room Classifieds Donations Gallery Groups Links Store Survival Files

Firearms General Discussion Rifles, pistols, shotguns, scopes, grips and everything in between.

Advertise Here

Old 12-09-2009, 10:39 PM

Default Whats better internal or detachable magazine

Advertise Here

I am in the market fo a hunting rifle and I have serval options that I am looking at but I was woundering what is better a detachable magizne or a internal magazine and if you could give pros and cons of each I would appreciate it.
Old 12-09-2009, 10:42 PM
I love this forum

Thanked 7,285 Times in 3,149 Posts

belt fed...................
Old 12-09-2009, 10:51 PM
Doubts Most Everything

Thanked 2,676 Times in 1,510 Posts

Internal with average of 4+1 depending on caliber is ample for hunting.
If you haven't felled your quarry with that, it won't still be there to miss with more, by slapping in another mag.

I'd say, concentrate on the rifle features you want, and let the type of mag be secondary consideration.

It can be argued that for possibly hunting humanoids in EOTWAWKI, of course, more and quicker is better!

- OS

Last edited by Oh Shoot; 12-09-2009 at 11:10 PM..
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Oh Shoot For This Useful Post:
Old 12-09-2009, 10:59 PM

Well an internal mag is impossible to loose.

If you are hunting from a vehicle and the law says your firearm has to be unloaded, and want a full mag to shoot at a deer it is much faster to slap in a detachable mag loaded up, than it is to load up an internal mag. It is also faster after you have emptied the rifle to pull out the empty mag and throw a second loaded mag.

But if you miss that much, you should not be hunting.

If you only load up one shot when you see the deer the internal mag is faster.

Last edited by Danman8520; 12-09-2009 at 11:03 PM.. Reason: sp.
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Danman8520 For This Useful Post:
Old 12-09-2009, 11:19 PM
Hiker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Danman8520 View Post
Well an internal mag is impossible to loose.

If you are hunting from a vehicle and the law says your firearm has to be unloaded, and want a full mag to shoot at a deer it is much faster to slap in a detachable mag loaded up, than it is to load up an internal mag. It is also faster after you have emptied the rifle to pull out the empty mag and throw a second loaded mag.

But if you miss that much, you should not be hunting.

If you only load up one shot when you see the deer the internal mag is faster.
I thought hunting from a vehicle was illegal. (Keep in mind I know jack about hunting law)
Old 12-09-2009, 11:24 PM

What I am describing is what we call "Heater Hunting". When the weather starts getting cold a lot of people start driving the dirt roads instead of actually walking or sitting in a stand. When they see a deer, they jump out of the truck, load the gun, and attempt to shoot the deer before it takes off.

So you are hunting, but you have an unloaded gun.
The Following User Says Thank You to Danman8520 For This Useful Post:
Old 12-09-2009, 11:51 PM
Hiker

For gun that will only be used for hunting neither really has an advantage over the other. A rifle with and internal magazine could theoretically last longer, but in reality you'll probably never be able to find out. A detachable magazine will most likely be made of sheet metal and therefore more prone to damage, especially while not in the gun.

If you will be loading and unloading the rifle several times a day then a detachable may be more convenient, but generally a hunting gun gets loaded just before going afield, and unloaded when getting back to the truck, house, or when it gets dark.

Most bolt action rifles with a detachable mag were originally designed as a internal box magazine rifle, with the detachable mag being an after thought later down the road. Some of the ways developed to incorporate the detachable are not on par with rifles which were originally designed with a detachable magazine. Some of them are down right clunky, imo. I've also heard of some reliability issues, but have not personally seen them. It's always just been gun store talk.

Personally, I would get the rifle that fits you, your quarry, and the conditions and terrain you will be hunting. If it happens to have a detachable, ok. If not ok.

The extra mags for some of those rifles can also be pricey. If you honestly see yourself buying and carrying a couple extra mags then more power to you, but my bet will be that you will end up just topping off the 1 or 2 rounds you just fired a lot more often than switching mags.

In 15 years of hunting I've never been in a situation where I was shooting game and ended up with and empty gun and still having animals in front of me to shoot. Not with a repeating rifle anyway. Not even with a pack of coyotes in the open.

Josh C. - in some U.S. states, as well as other countries, there are instances where hunting from a vehicle is legal under certain circumstances, but I believe he was actually referring to driving to your hunting area, with the hunt originating "from a vehicle" as opposed to walking out your backdoor to hunt.
The Following User Says Thank You to trekker111 For This Useful Post:
Old 12-10-2009, 08:48 PM
Opinionated old fart.

Thanked 6,980 Times in 3,331 Posts

Most hunting rifles will empty via "dumping" the ammo on the ground unless you want to cycle each round thru the chamber. If you are on a guided hunt, they will want you to empty your rifle when at the camp. Detachable mags will at least keep your bullets together.
Old 12-10-2009, 08:57 PM

imho internal no chance of loss less hassle
Old 12-15-2009, 04:47 PM
Survivor

Thanked 2,802 Times in 1,753 Posts

For field hunting postions like kneeling , sitting by a tree, or cramped in a climbing treestand; the internal magazine may help. Some folks find hold the gun with you non-trigger hand close to the trigger more steady. Without the odd shaped magazine, this will help.

In all reality, a single shot will do the job.

It sounds funny, but dring a heavy jacket and gloves while you try the guns out. See the feel and noise of the safety, the trigger pull (ask to dry fire), and possible how the iron sights look to you.

My vote is for the internal magazine. I also like holding the gun while walking right there. It's a good balanced spot. I stalk hunt mostly. By the time you get the gun off the sling, you already missed..........