Survivalist Forum

Advertise Here

Go Back   Survivalist Forum > Firearms and Other Weapons Forum > Firearms General Discussion > Black powder
Articles Chat Room Classifieds Donations Gallery Groups Links Store Survival Files

Advertise Here

Old 02-05-2010, 09:15 AM
Hunter

Advertise Here

4f is for the flashpan on a flint.
Old 02-05-2010, 09:17 AM
Target Shooter

Quote:
Originally Posted by 62bravo View Post
The nice thing about a 58 Remington is you don't have to break it down to pull the cylinder. You can have a second cylinder loaded. Watch Clint Eastwood in Pale Rider.
Be careful, though, carrying around a loaded and capped extra cylinder.

Jim
Old 02-07-2010, 03:18 PM
Deus exsisto laus

Thanked 6,726 Times in 2,286 Posts

I have a few BP handguns, a Great Plains Pistol, a 1858 Remington, an 1851 Colt navy, an 1860 Colt Army,an 1847 Colt Walker and a Colt third model dragoon. All are replicas, of course. All are fun to shoot. I have to say, my favourite is the Colt 3rd model dragoon. It fits my hand well and has plenty of poke. However, it would pull your britches down if you wore it on your hip, it weighs so much! I like the way the Colts fit my hand,although the Remington isn't bad. I have found them all to be reasonably accurate. If I were alive during the Civil War era and was able to choose a side arm, I would have chosen the 1858 Remington. It is just a better thought out design, in my opinion.Ballistically,there isn't much separating it from the 1860 Colt Army,so it comes down to design. The Remington could be reloaded with a spare cylinder easier and more quickly than the Colt could. TP
The Following User Says Thank You to Texas Patriot For This Useful Post:
Old 02-12-2010, 03:43 PM

Default 1858 Remmies

Hi Fellows: I have been shooting the 58 in Cowboy Action Shooting as a Frontiersman for the past four years and put my revolvers through a rough day of shooting and sometimes the a whole weekend from Friday to Sunday. The 58 is the fastest to load on the fireing line when shooting a stage where you have to reload your weapons. We shoot two revolvers on each stage as well as a cartridge rifle and a shotgun. All are weapons made before 1900 or replicas. When in a compitition I use only 3F and a cronicel bullet which has a deep lube grove that I run through my star lubersizer. With the lube grove I shoot all day with no swabbing. I can shoot balls all day with some of the lube I use above the ball. I make my own lube also. Only thing I don't make is the BP. I use mainly goex real black. I have tuned my revolvers and they are quite fast. In the old days all the shootist had a faithful gunsmith who did this for them. The past two years I have shot the 44 cal in the sheriff's model and won the Louisiana 2008 and 9 championship in Frontiersman. These ole style weapons are accurate and when properly loaded and maintained are great. I carry 14 spare cyclinders with me to a match all loaded but not capped. I cap on the line just before starting the sequence. Safety rule. One thing I do is on every cyclinder I change the nipples and replace them with Treso nipples. They hold the caps better. I only use Remington 10's in compitition. I do enjoy shoothing them and have several other C&B revolvers. But the 58 is my favorite. I also have conversion cyclinders for the 44's and my 36's. If I can answer any question for you I'll be glad to get you the information.
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to oliverloving For This Useful Post:
Old 05-18-2010, 11:52 AM

Talking

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smoothbore View Post
How many of you own or have shot a Remington 1858 .44 revolver? How does it compare with similar arms, like the Ruger Old Army or the Colt 186o?

Jim
I have 4 Remington 1858 .44's. Three are Pietta and one is a Uberti. I bought the Uberti way back in 1974. Unfortunately it is metric so nothing new will fit well. But is has bone handles and the front sight was raised a hair and is brass and it has a very light trigger and the original blue was removed and it was Browned so it looks like an antique. Great for target shooting.

The Pietta's are great. I bought 20 spare cylinders so I can shoot a lot. I also bought the .45 Long Colt Conversion cylinders. I shoot pretty heavy loads (about 36 grains) in mine and have no problem hitting what I am aiming at.

I shoot Cowboy Action Shooting (Life member of NCOWS and yearly member in SASS) and shoot only Black powder in all my guns (Frontiersman). I love the Remingtons.
The Following User Says Thank You to Gomezy3k For This Useful Post:
Old 05-18-2010, 12:04 PM

Cool

Quote:
Originally Posted by oliverloving View Post
Hi Fellows: I have been shooting the 58 in Cowboy Action Shooting as a Frontiersman for the past four years and put my revolvers through a rough day of shooting and sometimes the a whole weekend from Friday to Sunday. The 58 is the fastest to load on the firing line when shooting a stage where you have to reload your weapons. We shoot two revolvers on each stage as well as a cartridge rifle and a shotgun. All are weapons made before 1900 or replicas. When in a competition I use only 3F and a cronicel bullet which has a deep lube grove that I run through my star lubersizer. With the lube grove I shoot all day with no swabbing. I can shoot balls all day with some of the lube I use above the ball. I make my own lube also. Only thing I don't make is the BP. I use mainly goex real black. I have tuned my revolvers and they are quite fast. In the old days all the shootist had a faithful gunsmith who did this for them. The past two years I have shot the 44 cal in the sheriff's model and won the Louisiana 2008 and 9 championship in Frontiersman. These ole style weapons are accurate and when properly loaded and maintained are great. I carry 14 spare cylinders with me to a match all loaded but not capped. I cap on the line just before starting the sequence. Safety rule. One thing I do is on every cylinder I change the nipples and replace them with Treso nipples. They hold the caps better. I only use Remington 10's in competition. I do enjoy shooting them and have several other C&B revolvers. But the 58 is my favorite. I also have conversion cylinders for the 44's and my 36's. If I can answer any question for you I'll be glad to get you the information.
Hey good to see there is another Frontiersman shooter here. I have a 1860 Navy Arms Ridgefield Henry .44-40 and a 12 Ga Mule Ear that I use. I use all brass shells in the 12 ga except when you cannot pick up the shells then I use the plastic. I bought 20 spare cylinders so I can load the morning (or evening) before a match and can almost shoot all day without having to load a cylinder. When I first started used to load between stages and since there were only a few members, my turn came around way too fast. Why I went with the multi-cylinders. I also have the .45 conversions which I use if I am lazy. I hand load everything and use BP.

I am having trouble finding the #10 Remington caps or the RWS #11 caps (which I prefer over the Remington) here. The one Muzzle loading store went out of business when the owner retired so now the only places to get stuff is a couple gun stores, Bass Pro and Wally world. Unfortunately they sell for the inline shooters and ignore the other type of guns so getting much of anything here in Vegas sucks.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Gomezy3k For This Useful Post:
Old 05-18-2010, 04:00 PM
Target Shooter

You two sound pretty well fixed for spare cylinders!

What cartridge caliber do the .36 conversion cylinders shoot?

Jim
Old 05-18-2010, 09:12 PM
Hunter

Thanked 2,074 Times in 871 Posts

Mine shoot .38spl standard loads. No +P.
Old 05-26-2010, 11:49 PM
A country boy can survive

You can count me in. I have a pair of Pietta 1858's .44's. Both have .45LC conversion cylinders and I handload the 200gr Missouri Bullet Co. RNFP with TrailBoss. Both of mine are "target" models and required mods to get the sights hitting the black, but now they do 4" at 25 yards all day long.

I've been to a few CAS matches and played around with it. I just picked up a coach gun and a Marlin Cowboy in .45LC. I shot Action Pistol and various other shooting sports for years until last year. Mostly Combat Pistol .45acp matches. Ranked in the top 50 nationally every year. Now I only compete in the long range rifle F/TR classes. 600y and 1000y. It was getting too expensive and my body can't take shooting 12-15K rounds of .45acp a year anymore, and the long range stuff is just infrequent. I may give CAS a go...

t2e
The Following User Says Thank You to Tango2Echo For This Useful Post:
Old 05-27-2010, 08:50 PM
Hunter

Thanked 2,074 Times in 871 Posts

Come now, 15k is less than 500 per week.

My 80 year old mother can shoot 500 a week.
Old 05-27-2010, 09:31 PM
A country boy can survive

Then she is better off financially than I am. Having CTS in my wrist and loosing hearing is what has me slowing down. Even with good earmuffs it adds up.

t2e
Old 07-31-2010, 10:59 PM
Target Shooter

Who owns a R.O.A with a octagon barrel? I like that how much to have one of mine done?
Old 08-01-2010, 10:31 AM
Target Shooter

Good question, but you should post it on the Ruger Old Army Thread.

Jim
Old 08-05-2010, 07:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by whitethronebooks View Post
True, the Starr is not a Remington. Remington made their own double action cap & ball revolvers that looked very similar to their single actions. Some were converted to fire cartridges.

FYI: What we call the 1858 Remington is really a Remington New Model Army, introduced in 1863. The patent year was 1858, stamped on the gun.
There is the 1858, 1861 & 1863 model. I own two Uberti 1861s, they have a mainspring adjustment, the 1863 did not.
The 1858 did not have the safety notches between the nipples of the cylinder, or so I am told. Never owned a 1858 or 1863 model, just 1861s.
Unless a ROA changes my mind, the 1861 Remington New Army will be my first choice for life. I carry them for defense. No misfires, no BS, and I don't feel under gunned with one in each hand.
The Following User Says Thank You to BlackPowderSmoke For This Useful Post:
Old 08-12-2010, 02:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlackPowderSmoke View Post
There is the 1858, 1861 & 1863 model.
Yes, but the various Italian copies, all referred to as '1858 Remington,' are copies of the 1863 model. No one makes a copy of the Beals or the 1861.

Yes, it is confusing.
Old 11-28-2010, 12:44 AM

I have the 1858, but it's a Navy revolver, in .36 cal.
Old 02-07-2011, 06:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 62bravo View Post
The nice thing about a 58 Remington is you don't have to break it down to pull the cylinder. You can have a second cylinder loaded. Watch Clint Eastwood in Pale Rider.
nah, Josie Wales.....

"Well, well, if it aint Mr. Chain-blue lighting hisself!"

By the way, did you notice in one scene when he was standing down the bad-guy, Clint gets ready to draw his Colt Walker, you can see the caps on it, and in the loops on his gun belt he had regular cartridges? Guess they figured no one would notice.
Old 02-07-2011, 08:50 PM
Target Shooter

I don't remember those scenes from JOSIE, but I do remember the scene in RIDER where he quick-reloads the 1858 as if it were a modern autoloader.

When I first saw this scene, I thought it was Hollywood fantasy: was delighted to learn that I was wrong!

Jim
Old 02-08-2011, 01:14 AM
Hunter

Thanked 1,487 Times in 636 Posts

I just got mine a few weeks ago, a 5 1/2" from Cabelas. Oh, and for you folks in California, it's ok to mail, or internet order black powder guns. A lot of outfits refuse to ship them here, but not Cabelas.
Old 02-08-2011, 02:04 AM
Target Shooter

The ROA is more closely related to the Blackhawk, than to a NMA or a R&S. The fit and finish on a ROA exceeds any other BP revolver I have ever owned. On the ROA the hammer does not strike the nipple when fired, it will however strike any cap placed on it's nipple. This bit of design does two things, cuts wear on the nipple, and allows for dry fireing. My ROA wears a pair of Pachmyer Presentation grips that are fit me very well and are a dream to shoot [they were made for a blackhawk] I have the .45 ACP conversion for my NMAs and have not fired it enough to develop a load history as far as what length barrel or powders is best. I will produce one when time allows. The only experence I have with colts is trying to reset the arbor [center pin] on guns that were overshot with heavy loads, fired with sensable loads they last as well as any other gun. Brass framed guns will not last as well as steel, and are not recomended for use with conversion cylinders. My preferance is the ROA, followed closely by the NMA. IMHO FWIW